Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,445 members, 7,823,038 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 10:12 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 - Travel (23) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 (487970 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by olarwarlay(m): 5:30pm On Apr 11, 2013
mr swagger:

@Olarwalay, r u in lagos? If so, then I will strongly advise you send all ur documents through Nipost office in Ikeja. Instead of going through unneccesary stress.

I sent my admission package last month to my schools in USA, and they replied me by mail in 7 working days and told me dey hv received my documents.

I paid #700 for registered mail wth tracking number for each package. And all my documents were delivered with 7 working days. Nipost is very cheap and very reliable nw.. Cheers bro...

Thanks for the reply Bro... GBU.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Yvete(f): 5:30pm On Apr 11, 2013
olarwarlay: Sister Yvete, Sister Yvete!!!
Just hailing. smiley smiley

Lolz. Wassup Olarwarlay!
I was about to say Hi to you. Howz it going? SAT preparation and all?

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 5:30pm On Apr 11, 2013
Hi Ojap. hope you're doing fine?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by webstradamus: 5:32pm On Apr 11, 2013
Yvete:

Hey Nice4Life, Where did you get this from? Is it current?
I heard that the H1B 2014 might be through a lottery. I'll look for the article and put it up here.

It's current ... FY 2014 H-1B cap got exceeded in 5 days! Even at that they still have to use a lottery to select the actual 65,000 so not every app submitted within those 5 days will be successful. I hope this comprehensive immigration reform comes to fruition this year cos this whole H-1B thing has become oversubscribed!

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=5051f359827dd310VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=e7801c2c9be44210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by OjaP: 5:33pm On Apr 11, 2013
imperiouxx: Hi Ojap. hope you're doing fine?

I'm doing good bro. Looking unto GOD grin

How are you too? Are you graduating this year?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Yvete(f): 5:38pm On Apr 11, 2013
webstradamus: It's current ... FY 2014 H-1B cap got exceeded in 5 days! Even at that they still have to use a lottery to select the actual 65,000 so not every app submitted within those 5 days will be successful. I hope this comprehensive immigration reform comes to fruition this year cos this whole H-1B thing has become oversubscribed!

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=5051f359827dd310VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=e7801c2c9be44210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

So how does it affect H1B transfers? I've not been interviewing for nothing!
Seems like a lot of people will be getting married early in life these days!! Lolz
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 5:39pm On Apr 11, 2013
OjaP:

I'm doing good bro. Looking unto GOD grin

How are you too? Are you graduating this year?

By God's grace, I can't wait till then. I need a positive change in my life cool
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by olarwarlay(m): 5:39pm On Apr 11, 2013
Yvete:

Lolz. Wassup Olarwarlay!
I was about to say Hi to you. Howz it going? SAT prepation and all?

My sister, i'm trying my best jare... Just kinda scared of the Maths section, not so good in that. I know i'll pull through sha by His grace.
How's it with your studies too?.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by webstradamus: 5:40pm On Apr 11, 2013
OjaP:

Can you please explain to us how it is getting better? No where in your quoted article was "F-1" even mentioned.

Also, can you or anyone please enlighten us about the STEM Bill?

Thank you.

AFAIK, the STEM bill is dead! Same with all its other variants. The gang of 8 are looking to accommodate the provisions of those bills into the comprehensive immigration reform bill. And from what I gathered from their earlier deliberations, they seem to have a better deal for graduates with advanced STEM degrees. These graduates would be able to file for a conditional PR with the condition being that they continuing practicing in a STEM field throughout that time.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by nice4life: 5:41pm On Apr 11, 2013
OjaP:

Can you please explain to us how it is getting better? No where in your quoted article was "F-1" even mentioned.

Also, can you or anyone please enlighten us about the STEM Bill?

Thank you.
Getting better means the economy is booming and if you are from a country like Nigeria you dont have to wait for like 6years for your employer to file your green card, you can actually file it at the same time you are filing the H1B.I will explain the stem bill later or yvete should, need to go now.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 5:43pm On Apr 11, 2013
nice4life:
Getting better means the economy is booming and if you are from a country like Nigeria you dont have to wait for like 6years for your employer to file your green card, you can actually file it at the same time you are filing the H1B.I will explain the stem bill later or yvete should, need to go now.

Yvete....hmmmmmm!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by webstradamus: 5:44pm On Apr 11, 2013
Yvete:

So how does it affect H1B transfers? I've not been interviewing for nothing!
Seems like a lot of people will be getting married early in life these days!! Lolz

grin gringrin Marriage sef no too sure again! More and more guys are getting busted these days ...lol. But good thing you already got your H-1B before this mad rush. H-1B transfers are unlimited and are not affected by quota. You can always transfer anytime smiley
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by OjaP: 5:45pm On Apr 11, 2013
webstradamus:

AFAIK, the STEM bill is dead! Same with all its other variants. The gang of 8 are looking to accommodate the provisions of those bills into the comprehensive immigration reform bill. And from what I gathered from their earlier deliberations, they seem to have a better deal for graduates with advanced STEM degrees. These graduates would be able to file for a conditional PR with the condition being that they continuing practicing in a STEM field throughout that time.

I think this is exactly what the bill is all about. But won't the issue of cancellation of the visa lottery be an impediment?

Summary of the STEM Jobs Act (H.R. 6429): The STEM Jobs Act eliminates the diversity lottery green card program and reallocates up to 55,000 green cards a year to new green card programs for foreign graduates of U.S. universities with advanced STEM degrees. These green cards are first made available to foreign graduates with doctorates and any remaining green cards are then made available for foreign graduates with master’s degrees.

Which Students Qualify?

PhDs: The bill creates a new green card category for aliens who have received STEM doctorates from U.S. universities. Foreign students will be eligible for STEM green cards if they –
• Have received a doctorate from an eligible U.S. university in computer science, engineering, mathematics, or the physical sciences (other than biological sciences);
• Agree to work for at least five years for the petitioning employer or in the U.S. in a STEM field;
• Have taken all their course work (including internet courses) while physically present in the United States; and
• Are petitioned for by an employer who has gone through labor certification to show that there are not sufficient American workers able, willing, qualified and available for the job.

Master’s Degrees: The bill creates a new green card category for aliens who have received STEM master’s degrees from U.S. universities. If any green cards are not used by aliens with doctorates, they will then be made available to foreign graduates with master’s degrees. To be eligible, an alien must –
• Have received a two year master’s degree from an eligible U.S. university in computer science, engineering, mathematics, or the physical sciences (other than biological sciences);
• Have majored in college in a STEM field;
• Agree to work for at least five years for the petitioning employer or in the U.S. in a STEM field;
• Have taken all their course work (including internet courses) while physically present in the United States; and
• Be petitioned for by an employer who has gone through labor certification.

Which Universities Qualify? The STEM Jobs Act narrowly defines what constitutes a research university to ensure the STEM green card system is not just a golden ticket for those wanting to come to the U.S. To qualify for the STEM green card program, a school must –

• Be eligible for federal student financial aid programs;
• Be accredited;
• Be classified by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching as a doctorate-granting university with very high or high level of research activity, or be classified by the National Science Foundation after the date of enactment, pursuant to an application by the university, as having equivalent research activity to such schools;
• Be at least 10 years old; and
• Not provide incentive payments to persons based on securing foreign students for the university.

The STEM Jobs Act Protects Americans Students and Workers. In order to protect American students and workers in STEM fields, the bill requires as part of the labor certification process that an employer submit a job order to the appropriate state workforce agency. In addition, the bill requires that the state workforce agency post the job order on its official agency website to make it more accessible to American workers seeking employment.
The bill also requires that the Department of Homeland Security post on its official website information about the employers who sponsor STEM graduates for green cards, the number of STEM graduates they sponsor, and the occupations of the STEM graduates they sponsor.

In addition, because of the often difficult career prospects for American students graduating with PhDs in biological and biomedical fields, foreign students with degrees in these fields will not be eligible for STEM green cards.

Source: http://judiciary.house.gov/issues/STEM/Fact%20Sheet%20STEM%20Bill.pdf
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 5:47pm On Apr 11, 2013
This thread is sweet this morning but I have a class now. See y'all later. Hoping to hear good news about PR.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by nice4life: 5:48pm On Apr 11, 2013
I think its all this fake indian consulting companies that are exhausting the H1B quota, The usa government need to track this companies down.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Yvete(f): 5:50pm On Apr 11, 2013
nice4life: I think its all this fake indian consulting companies that are exhausting the H1B quota, The usa government need to track this companies down.

Thank you! I've said this one too many times. That's my only beef with Indians. Very very annoying.
But then, some Universities/Healthcare companies are not subject to the cap. My sister is a Nurse and I think she got hers even after the cap-2011.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by OjaP: 5:54pm On Apr 11, 2013
nice4life:

The economy is booming and Obama is cutting budget?? What makes Nigeria so important that we won't have to wait for 6years like other countries? Yes, you can file green card direct if/when the STEM bill is passed. For now, you have to file for H-1B first and file for green card after maybe 3-5 years of staying on H-1B. Yvette: Is this correct?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by webstradamus: 5:57pm On Apr 11, 2013
OjaP:

I think this is exactly what the bill is all about. But won't the issue of cancellation of the visa lottery be an impediment?

It already is ... that's what killed the bill! Democrats vehemently opposed it. I'm also against it because of the selective nature of eligible institutions (only R1). The only thing on board right now is the comprehensive reform which looks good so far for STEM graduates and then for non-STEM, H-1B quota will be increased to about 200k (or something like that).
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by OjaP: 5:57pm On Apr 11, 2013
Yvete:

Thank you! I've said this one too many times. That's my only beef with Indians. Very very annoying.
But then, some degrees/Universities/Healthcare companies are not subject to the cap. My sister is a Nurse and I think she got hers even after the cap 2011.

Prolly her job fell into one of the below;

•Institutions of higher education
•Non-profit entities related or affiliated to a higher education institution
•Non-profit research organizations or governmental research organizations
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by OjaP: 5:58pm On Apr 11, 2013
webstradamus:

It already is ... that's what killed the bill! Democrats vehemently opposed it. I'm also against it because of the selective nature of eligible institutions (only R1). The only thing on board right now is the comprehensive reform which looks good so far for STEM graduates and then for non-STEM, H-1B's will be increase to about 200k (or something like that).

Even with that, a company must be and/or willing to offer a job and sponsor you right?

It is finished!!!!!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Yvete(f): 6:07pm On Apr 11, 2013
Mart d dart: not really...I plan on practicing over there, does it "hold water"?...I could go for political administration

Now you see why certain degrees are not encouraged. The ongoing discussion answers your question. If you really want to study Law, get a bachelor's in one of the degrees listed below.

You can get okay jobs too, but you need to plan strategically. (Operations Management, Human Resources, Risk/Emergency Management, Intl. Relations, Intl. Buisness & Rehab Psychology are good degrees) - Admissible in most industries.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by webstradamus: 6:09pm On Apr 11, 2013
OjaP:

Even with that, a company must be and/or willing to offer a job and sponsor you right?

It is finished!!!!!

Yeah ... that's the problem with H-1B. Its completely dependent on a company's willingness to file for you. By 200k, I meant the quota [size=4pt](hope you didn't think I meant filing fees)[/size] grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by OjaP: 6:15pm On Apr 11, 2013
webstradamus:

Yeah ... that's the problem with H-1B. Its completely dependent on a company's willingness to file for you. By 200k, I meant the quota [size=2pt](hope you didn't think I meant filing fees)[/size] grin

I understand. Most of these companies are not even ready to talk to you at all if you look or your name sound African. I have attended up to 12 interviews with some major and small oil companies in the past and one of the first set of questions they ask are,

Are you authorized to work?

Me: No, but...... (trying to play smart into selling OPT, CPT and H-1B)

Most of them told me in confidence that they don't sponsor and not ready to go through the stress when there are other eligible Americans or folks who are authorized to work. So cra**zy right

But with prayer and GOD, one may be lucky to get an internship. When you get that, work hard and make them like you, by the time you are done interning, they won't have any choice than to keep you (even when you haven't graduated). I have seen it happen.

Let's all work hard and pray - we will all make it.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by webstradamus: 6:28pm On Apr 11, 2013
OjaP:

I understand. Most of these companies are not even ready to talk to you at all if you look or your name sound African. I have attended up to 12 interviews with some major and small oil companies in the past and one of the first set of questions they ask are,

Me: No, but...... (trying to play smart into selling OPT, CPT and H-1B)

Most of them told me in confidence that they don't sponsor and not ready to go through the stress when there are other eligible Americans or folks who are authorized to work. So cra**zy right

But with prayer and GOD, one may be lucky to get an internship. When you get that, work hard and make them like you, by the time you are done interning, they won't have any choice than to keep you (even when you haven't graduated). I have seen it happen.

Let's all work hard and pray - we will all make it.

Well said! Internships matter so much for us here cos that's the only experience US employers can really relate to (Dem no send your Naija experience). Like you said, lets all work hard and pray even harder. The coming months will be very critical in the life of all US non-immigrant visa holders with actual immigrant intentions tongue
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by olsmade(m): 7:01pm On Apr 11, 2013
imperiouxx: sigilolu156 and Adolite should stop all this abeg.

mr swagger check your post, it's coming as spam

More like adolite shd stop...
Leave it be na
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 7:46pm On Apr 11, 2013
imperiouxx:

By God's grace, I can't wait till then. A need a positive change in my life cool
How long is your program? 18 months right?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 8:20pm On Apr 11, 2013
bigfrancis21:
How long is your program? 18 months right?

Yea but I've extended it to 24 months because of unforeseen.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 8:23pm On Apr 11, 2013
nice4life: I think its all this fake indian consulting companies that are exhausting the H1B quota, The usa government need to track this companies down.

That's the hope of many of my Indian friends here.

Me: What next after your MS?

Indian: I'm going into consultancy!

Me: Fucck You !

Indians are bad about that, they flock anything. I won't be surprise if 7 indian guys are fighting on 1 babe (well, we've seen a lot of that in their movies)
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by OjaP: 8:41pm On Apr 11, 2013
imperiouxx:

By God's grace, I can't wait till then. A need a positive change in my life cool

Congrats in advance. PhD next?
imperiouxx:

Yea but I've extended it to 24 months because of unforeseen.

This cracked me up....I thought I was the only one who did that...gringringringrin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Square65: 9:31pm On Apr 11, 2013
OjaP:

[s]Me: No, but...... (trying to play smart into selling OPT, CPT and H-1B)[/s]Yes ... as far as I'm concerned cheesy grin

Let's all work hard and pray - we will all make it. Amen

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Mamacita007(f): 9:33pm On Apr 11, 2013
nice4life: Mamacita how na?

Im fine. See how your comment started h-1b and work visa discussion here. grin grin How work nau?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Mamacita007(f): 9:36pm On Apr 11, 2013
imperiouxx: That's the hope of many of my Indian friends here.

Me: Fucck You !

Indians are bad about that, they flock anything. I won't be surprise if 7 indian guys are fighting on 1 babe (well, we've seen a lot of that in their movies)

llooolll Oga imperriox stop using the f word. Use only the b word dats bless you llooolll grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (401)

U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. / Travelling To Canada Part 3 / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.