Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,069 members, 7,953,268 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 01:16 PM

6-year-old Girl Killed By Airbag In An Auto Accident In Asaba - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 6-year-old Girl Killed By Airbag In An Auto Accident In Asaba (29103 Views)

Abubakar Ali In Auto Accident In Kano (Photo) / Girl Killed In Aba Yesterday During The Search For IPOB Members / Femi Adesina's Sister Dies In Auto Accident (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

6-year-old Girl Killed By Airbag In An Auto Accident In Asaba by Nobody: 10:28am On Mar 20, 2013

IT was supposed to be a very minor auto crash right in the heart of the Delta State capital of Asaba but the airbag burst and the baby died. The safety airbag, which was designed to save lives, was ironically the cause of her death. At only six, the sun has gone down on little Chizurum Gloria Emmanuel, the flower and glory of the Emmanuel family. All who saw her during her short time on mother Earth are agreed that she was a beauty to behold.

Fighting back a tear-drop, the father Marvellous Emmanuel, 38, explained that the wife had gone to pick the children from school, the Regina Mundi Nursery and Primary School just by the popular Ogbeogonogo Market on the main street of Nnebisi Road at about 2.30 p.m. on March 12 after the close of school and was heading home with the four kids when tragedy struck.

What was supposed to be a happy homeward journey ended in tragedy when an impatient motorist suddenly tried to beat the vehicle in her front, a Toyota Corolla at the U-turn opposite St. Patrick’s College. In an attempt to avoid hitting the car, the driver suddenly stepped on the break pedal. A panicky Mrs. Emmanuel attempted stepping on her break pedal, too, so as not to collide with the car in her front but it was too late.

Tried as she could, she still lightly hit the bumper of the vehicle, and then the airbag burst. She heard a noise and the car, an Audi saloon screeched to a halt. She turned to her right and saw the only daughter in a family of four children who was sitting in the front seat writhing in pains. The Primary Two girl had a cut on her neck and was bleeding profusely from the nose. It was like a scene from a horror movie. It may not after all be hopeless as the Federal Medical Centre (FMC) was just some few metres away, she reasoned.

The distraught trader father at the market town of Onitsha, Anambra on the other side of the River Niger wailed that at FMC, a team of doctors were right on time and battled to save the promising young girl. They tried resuscitating her with oxygen. Few minutes after she was brought in, she gave up.

When Marvellous from Orlu, Imo State set out for work at dawn on that fateful Tuesday he never had any inkling that it was going to be the last time he would see his small angel. There was no premonition of any disaster. Thoughts of any harm to his children never crossed his mind as he bade them goodbye.

He was by the Head Bridge market haggling over some drugs at about 3pm when his mobile phone rang. It was his wife of over nine years on the line. Her voice was trembling. It was quite obvious that all was not well.

“Hello! There is an accident. You have to come straight to FMC, Asaba,” she said switching off the telephone.

“Hello! Hello!” The line was dead.

His heart was shaking. He said hoped he was hallucinating but it was real. In confusion, he called his apprentice to find out if his wife called to give details of the accident. He was confused the more when he nodded his head. Sadness was fast setting into his once happy life. The 15-minute journey to Asaba was like eternity.

At the hospital, he strutted right away to the emergency ward. In a very calm tone, the doctor told him to sit down. He reluctantly did but demanded to know if his wife, a laboratory scientist at the same hospital and a native of Aguata, Anambra State or any of the children were involved in the accident. The doctor said his daughter was the one and that his permission was needed so that she could be transferred to the University of Benin Teaching Hospital, about 155 km away for intensive care. It was only then it dawned on her that her baby was forever gone. The man cried.

“My star is gone but there was no sign,” he said trying hard not to betray any emotion.

It was crying time the following day when her teachers and fellow pupils visited the Emmanuels at their home in the Infant Jesus neighbourhood of Asaba. Going by their different testimonies, there is no doubt that the light has gone out of a shinning star.

The father concurred, saying that she was an intelligent and obedient girl who never got in anybody’s way. Always first in her class, he said that there was no contending the fact that she was destined for the stars.

Taking solace in God, Marvellous, an Anglican, said that the pain of losing his only daughter is mind-blowing. . He is at a loss how he would have been able to carry on if not for his strong belief in God, friends and family members who have since turned his house to a Mecca of sort, paying condolence visits.

Waxing philosophical, he said: “The Lord is my refuge and my salvation. God knows best. He giveth and taketh. We cannot question Him. I don’t want to sorrow like them without hope. I know that what laid up for my daughter is a crown of righteousness. God only called her home. She is in the bosom of the Lord.”

A source at the Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC), however, explained that the airbag must have expired, as the impact of the accident couldn’t have been serious enough to trigger off the airbag. The proper thing is for people to check their car’s airbags 10 years after installation.

Besides, he advised that children below the age of 12 should not be allowed to seat in front of vehicles as they are not matured enough to withstand the impact of burst airbags, should an accident happen. Motorist must always use their seat belts.

http://ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=116577:killed-by-an-airbag&catid=3:metro&Itemid=558

http://facebook.com/9jaround
Re: 6-year-old Girl Killed By Airbag In An Auto Accident In Asaba by Nobody: 2:36pm On Mar 20, 2013
Just last week I severely warned my wife never ever again to ever put my daughter in the front passenger seat precisely because of this airbag issue. This can happen to anyone . RIP to the little girl.

10 Likes

Re: 6-year-old Girl Killed By Airbag In An Auto Accident In Asaba by TonySpike: 3:00pm On Mar 20, 2013
LESSON: Never allow young kids (at least below 10 yrs old) to take the front seat in any vehicle. It is very wrong and dangerous as they can be thrown from their seats during a severe vehicle collision.

My condolences to the family...

5 Likes

Re: 6-year-old Girl Killed By Airbag In An Auto Accident In Asaba by Tolexander: 3:39pm On Mar 20, 2013
RIP little gurl!

People are just talking about what happened to the little gurl in front seat which could have also happened to an adult. Though with more matured dermal tissues.
All the same, it isn't very safe having a juvenile seated in front seat.
Re: 6-year-old Girl Killed By Airbag In An Auto Accident In Asaba by Duru1(m): 4:52pm On Mar 20, 2013
Air bags have been known to kill very old people and children in USA. I guess it is human blunder to have a six year old baby on the front seat of a vehicle.
Re: 6-year-old Girl Killed By Airbag In An Auto Accident In Asaba by Nkemtreasure: 5:02pm On Mar 20, 2013
Condolences. cry cry cry But kids aren't supposed to sit on the front seat. Learnt that from my nice who was about 8yrs. That was about 5yrs ago.
Re: 6-year-old Girl Killed By Airbag In An Auto Accident In Asaba by kross01(m): 6:54pm On Mar 20, 2013
@ post; most car manufacturers do state it, it is never advisable to leave kids under the age of 12 in front seats(except they are to be strapped in baby carriers, in which case rear facing ones are not still allowed). Its just plain blunder that caused this untimely demise. My condolences to the family.

2 Likes

Re: 6-year-old Girl Killed By Airbag In An Auto Accident In Asaba by corazoni: 7:11pm On Mar 20, 2013
Probably wasn't on seatbelt. Rip little girl and my prayers to her family
Re: 6-year-old Girl Killed By Airbag In An Auto Accident In Asaba by Fhemmmy: 7:12pm On Mar 20, 2013
bobot:

IT was supposed to be a very minor auto crash right in the heart of the Delta State capital of Asaba but the airbag burst and the baby died. The safety airbag, which was designed to save lives, was ironically the cause of her death. At only six, the sun has gone down on little Chizurum Gloria Emmanuel, the flower and glory of the Emmanuel family. All who saw her during her short time on mother Earth are agreed that she was a beauty to behold.

Fighting back a tear-drop, the father Marvellous Emmanuel, 38, explained that the wife had gone to pick the children from school, the Regina Mundi Nursery and Primary School just by the popular Ogbeogonogo Market on the main street of Nnebisi Road at about 2.30 p.m. on March 12 after the close of school and was heading home with the four kids when tragedy struck.

What was supposed to be a happy homeward journey ended in tragedy when an impatient motorist suddenly tried to beat the vehicle in her front, a Toyota Corolla at the U-turn opposite St. Patrick’s College. In an attempt to avoid hitting the car, the driver suddenly stepped on the break pedal. A panicky Mrs. Emmanuel attempted stepping on her break pedal, too, so as not to collide with the car in her front but it was too late.

Tried as she could, she still lightly hit the bumper of the vehicle, and then the airbag burst. She heard a noise and the car, an Audi saloon screeched to a halt. She turned to her right and saw the only daughter in a family of four children who was sitting in the front seat writhing in pains. The Primary Two girl had a cut on her neck and was bleeding profusely from the nose. It was like a scene from a horror movie. It may not after all be hopeless as the Federal Medical Centre (FMC) was just some few metres away, she reasoned.

The distraught trader father at the market town of Onitsha, Anambra on the other side of the River Niger wailed that at FMC, a team of doctors were right on time and battled to save the promising young girl. They tried resuscitating her with oxygen. Few minutes after she was brought in, she gave up.

When Marvellous from Orlu, Imo State set out for work at dawn on that fateful Tuesday he never had any inkling that it was going to be the last time he would see his small angel. There was no premonition of any disaster. Thoughts of any harm to his children never crossed his mind as he bade them goodbye.

He was by the Head Bridge market haggling over some drugs at about 3pm when his mobile phone rang. It was his wife of over nine years on the line. Her voice was trembling. It was quite obvious that all was not well.

“Hello! There is an accident. You have to come straight to FMC, Asaba,” she said switching off the telephone.

His heart was shaking. He said hoped he was hallucinating but it was real. In confusion, he called his apprentice to find out if his wife called to give details of the accident. He was confused the more when he nodded his head. Sadness was fast setting into his once happy life. The 15-minute journey to Asaba was like eternity.

At the hospital, he strutted right away to the emergency ward. In a very calm tone, the doctor told him to sit down. He reluctantly did but demanded to know if his wife, a laboratory scientist at the same hospital and a native of Aguata, Anambra State or any of the children were involved in the accident. The doctor said his daughter was the one and that his permission was needed so that she could be transferred to the University of Benin Teaching Hospital, about 155 km away for intensive care. It was only then it dawned on her that her baby was forever gone. The man cried.

“My star is gone but there was no sign,” he said trying hard not to betray any emotion.

It was crying time the following day when her teachers and fellow pupils visited the Emmanuels at their home in the Infant Jesus neighbourhood of Asaba. Going by their different testimonies, there is no doubt that the light has gone out of a shinning star.

The father concurred, saying that she was an intelligent and obedient girl who never got in anybody’s way. Always first in her class, he said that there was no contending the fact that she was destined for the stars.

Taking solace in God, Marvellous, an Anglican, said that the pain of losing his only daughter is mind-blowing. . He is at a loss how he would have been able to carry on if not for his strong belief in God, friends and family members who have since turned his house to a Mecca of sort, paying condolence visits.

Waxing philosophical, he said: “The Lord is my refuge and my salvation. God knows best. He giveth and taketh. We cannot question Him. I don’t want to sorrow like them without hope. I know that what laid up for my daughter is a crown of righteousness. God only called her home. She is in the bosom of the Lord.”

A source at the Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC), however, explained that the airbag must have expired, as the impact of the accident couldn’t have been serious enough to trigger off the airbag. The proper thing is for people to check their car’s airbags 10 years after installation.

Besides, he advised that children below the age of 12 should not be allowed to seat in front of vehicles as they are not matured enough to withstand the impact of burst airbags, should an accident happen. Motorist must always use their seat belts.

http://ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=116577:killed-by-an-airbag&catid=3:metro&Itemid=558

I am sure you will see the instruction that a child under the age of 13 ought not to sit at the front of the car . . . My kids always whine and get angry cos they wanna sit at the front, but i would rather go home with angry kid that one that is dead . . . RIP young one.

14 Likes

Re: 6-year-old Girl Killed By Airbag In An Auto Accident In Asaba by Uglyduckling: 7:14pm On Mar 20, 2013
Its always stated that children below twelve should not sit in front due to risk of airbag injuries. If only parents would adhere then this avoidable loss could have been averted. My condolences to the family though.
Re: 6-year-old Girl Killed By Airbag In An Auto Accident In Asaba by Nwogbe: 7:16pm On Mar 20, 2013
Horrible mata. RIP
Re: 6-year-old Girl Killed By Airbag In An Auto Accident In Asaba by Biggyd2: 7:17pm On Mar 20, 2013
Rest in peace, Little One.
Re: 6-year-old Girl Killed By Airbag In An Auto Accident In Asaba by mysticgal(f): 7:20pm On Mar 20, 2013
sweet angel rest in the abode of your creator.rip
Re: 6-year-old Girl Killed By Airbag In An Auto Accident In Asaba by swtcharissa(f): 7:21pm On Mar 20, 2013
I heard of dis incident last week n was hoping T̶̲̥̅̊ø̲̣̣̥ find it on nairaland,my husby was told when he took our little daughter out T̶̲̥̅̊ø̲̣̣̥ stroll,n he came back T̶̲̥̅̊ø̲̣̣̥ give me d unfortunate news,RIP little girl,may God console ur family n friends
Re: 6-year-old Girl Killed By Airbag In An Auto Accident In Asaba by Egemole: 7:22pm On Mar 20, 2013
bobot:

[b][/b]
Oh, rest in peace of the Lord
Re: 6-year-old Girl Killed By Airbag In An Auto Accident In Asaba by KINGwax(m): 7:23pm On Mar 20, 2013
One of the rules is, 'don't keep babies in the front seat'!
Even wen u look at the sun breaker, the sign is clearly there. The baby's spirit shld sue for negligence!

1 Like

Re: 6-year-old Girl Killed By Airbag In An Auto Accident In Asaba by slimyem: 7:26pm On Mar 20, 2013
Someone close had an accident a few weeks ago and i'm guessing the reason why the airbag damage on his face was minimal and could be contained was because he is an adult.
Poor little girl.
May she rest in peace.
A lesson for parents with little children.
Re: 6-year-old Girl Killed By Airbag In An Auto Accident In Asaba by tonididdy(m): 7:26pm On Mar 20, 2013
i still dont know how the airbag killed her?

2 Likes

Re: 6-year-old Girl Killed By Airbag In An Auto Accident In Asaba by bebe2(f): 7:28pm On Mar 20, 2013
This is such a tragedy, sometimes busy body can get the better of us especially me am always in a hurry to get my kids in the car then I will scream while driving " guys seat belt on" without checking to make sure they ve done it sad

In 2007 my hubby and I were taking my mum to heathrow airport, we drove all the way from manchester to heathrow no probs, just before the airport we were stopped by police. They checked my kids car seats and started to query me because I put my son in the middle of the back seat. I argued that he was on a car seat, they said my mum shud have sat in the middle and the child on either side of her becos the seat belt has to ve a shoulder strap. Before they left one of the female officers said my kids were beautiful and she didnt want the be scooping their remains off the highway. That sent chills down my spine. Each time remember dat, I take the time to strap them on properly.

Rest in peace chizurum xx

2 Likes

Re: 6-year-old Girl Killed By Airbag In An Auto Accident In Asaba by Nobody: 7:32pm On Mar 20, 2013
Anyone less 3ft tall should not sit on the front seat of a car. RIP little angel.
Re: 6-year-old Girl Killed By Airbag In An Auto Accident In Asaba by Nobody: 7:34pm On Mar 20, 2013
Evry News: Killed, Kill, Killing..

Haa.. me don tire..
Re: 6-year-old Girl Killed By Airbag In An Auto Accident In Asaba by whitedolphine(m): 7:37pm On Mar 20, 2013
R.I.P little gal
Re: 6-year-old Girl Killed By Airbag In An Auto Accident In Asaba by 80million1: 7:39pm On Mar 20, 2013
*speechless*

#sobs#
Re: 6-year-old Girl Killed By Airbag In An Auto Accident In Asaba by Nobody: 7:39pm On Mar 20, 2013
Idiots angry angry angry

Children aren't meant to sit in the front seat of cars because of the airbags. But trust Nigerians and their ignorance. cry cry cry

1 Like

Re: 6-year-old Girl Killed By Airbag In An Auto Accident In Asaba by OracleHex(m): 7:39pm On Mar 20, 2013
China products
Re: 6-year-old Girl Killed By Airbag In An Auto Accident In Asaba by Meddler(f): 7:40pm On Mar 20, 2013
FRSC shud do a better job of enlightening people of car safety. I see this everyday - mother's carry their young ones on their lap sitting at the passenger's side or children sitting at the passenger's side.

If you own a car then I assume you could afford a car seat for children under a certain age or afford to practice better car safety. People are just not informed. No need to waste precious life like this kid. Its so sad.

May her little soul RIP

1 Like

Re: 6-year-old Girl Killed By Airbag In An Auto Accident In Asaba by mrofficial2(m): 7:42pm On Mar 20, 2013
Egemole: [b][/b]
Oh, rest in peace of the Lord

Why are some of you so immature? Did you have to quote the lengthy post?

RIP to the little girl. Just learnt a lesson from this.

5 Likes

Re: 6-year-old Girl Killed By Airbag In An Auto Accident In Asaba by Nobody: 7:42pm On Mar 20, 2013
Tony Spike: LESSON: Never allow young kids (at least below 10 yrs old) to take the front seat in any vehicle. It is very wrong and dangerous as they can be thrown from their seats during a severe vehicle collision.

My condolences to the family...

nigerians have NO car safety sense whatsoever

i sometimes see people sitting with their babies in their laps while driving

the pikin in the front seat is almost a standard. i sometimes go out of my way to chastise some people, but i know i'm just wasting my time, i mean, this is nigeria, where beer is sold in traffic holdu ps

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Police Invade INEC Collation Centre In Imo / Nigerians Picking Face Masks From Dump Sites, PTF Cries Out / #EndSARS: Autopsy Conducted On 99 Bodies, 3 From Lekki Toll Gate – Pathologist

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.