Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,706 members, 7,837,579 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 07:35 AM

@ Italo, Debosky And Others - Re: Bible Study Discourse And Matters Arising - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / @ Italo, Debosky And Others - Re: Bible Study Discourse And Matters Arising (7447 Views)

Discourse And Anecdotes On Dreams / The Theory Of Hell And Matters Arising. / My Reading Of The Holy Bible And Matters Arising (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: @ Italo, Debosky And Others - Re: Bible Study Discourse And Matters Arising by Enigma(m): 3:34pm On Mar 26, 2013
^^ And for that matter the Roman Catholic Church did not formalise its own canon or set it dogmatically until as recent as the 16th century at the Council of Trent.

smiley
Re: @ Italo, Debosky And Others - Re: Bible Study Discourse And Matters Arising by Enigma(m): 3:42pm On Mar 26, 2013
debosky: As others have even said, other Council ‘canonised’ the OT long before the Catholics did so - my point is already made. the NT was purely compiled based on existing, widely accepted scripture in use. . . .

And some others canonised even their own selected books for the New Testament at a council long before the Roman Catholic Church. Specific examples would be the African Churches.

smiley
Re: @ Italo, Debosky And Others - Re: Bible Study Discourse And Matters Arising by Nobody: 3:44pm On Mar 26, 2013
Enigma:

IIRC the then Roman Catholic "pope" approved the document. I referred to it obliquely in an old post https://www.nairaland.com/1101186/catholics-really-wants-make-heaven/2#12998393

smiley

You remember the other time that Bro Ubenedictua and Bro Chukwudi44 decised that the authority I appealed to was not a real Catholic? Well, I'm careful to make sure that he gives his own answer o. He might easilg say that that pope wasn't a "real" Catholic too grin
Re: @ Italo, Debosky And Others - Re: Bible Study Discourse And Matters Arising by Nobody: 3:49pm On Mar 26, 2013
italo:

What is it that you want me to clarify which I denounced as wrong, this man? Please show me.

As far as I am concerned, you have not said anything on this thread.

Oga, weren't you saying that how Jesus saves is necessary to salvation or damnation in disagreement with my submission that it wasn't? I asked you to explain how.
Re: @ Italo, Debosky And Others - Re: Bible Study Discourse And Matters Arising by italo: 3:52pm On Mar 26, 2013
debosky:
What is the magisterium of the church? Abeg indulge those of us that are ‘simple’ folk.

I'm very sure you can easily access google. I cannot teach you everything. I myself have "googled up" some of the you said on this thread without asking you. Dont be a baby.

debosky: Did I tell you it was the bible? You asked me for historical accounts, I give you an example historical account and you come back with this silly response?

You dont even remember half the things we say. You lied when you said:

debosky: The Holy Spirit moved through the early Church to compile the bible.

And I said "how do you know that? I dont find anything like that written in the Bible...and when did this early church compile the bible?"

That was when your lies intensified. You said you know through historical accounts.

And I said "which historical accounts show that the early church compiled THE BIBLE?"

You lied again, saying: 'memoirs of the apostles'

And I said is memoir of the apostles the bible? Now I add, where does it say that the early Church compiled the bible?

You havent told me...neither does your false historical account mention any date or period.

ITS JUST LIES, ISNT IT?
Re: @ Italo, Debosky And Others - Re: Bible Study Discourse And Matters Arising by Nobody: 3:54pm On Mar 26, 2013
italo:

It seems that you protestants are now solely focused on the Catholic Church.

Do we take it Protestants have no way of knowing accurately God's teaching?

So we can fully concentrate on explaining how the Catholic Church has the authority to explain scripture to God's people.

Nna, I don't know what you're saying o. I just asked you to explain what "the Catholic Church" is so that I can underatand what you have been saying. I didn't ask you to explain how the Catholic Church does anything. Do you have an answer to what "the Catholic Church" is?
Re: @ Italo, Debosky And Others - Re: Bible Study Discourse And Matters Arising by Syncan(m): 3:55pm On Mar 26, 2013
Zikkyy:

there's no bullet-proof approach to interpreting the scriptures. they all have advantages and disadvantages. The idea of a council is not bad if the congregation is carried along. The council work even better in this age where people don't even want to interpret the scriptures for themselves. so they swallow the both the drug and poison provided by the church leaders. italo's position is that the council must be that of the RCC. and my position is that council's interpretation is acceptable if it aligns with my understanding of the scriptures, afterall council members are also bringing in their private interpretation on the matter under review.

I'll answer you with a quote from Debosky's reference...(some)Non-catholic's view.

The Church exercises teaching authority through various instruments and agencies at various levels (cf. Authority I, paras. 9 and 18-22). When matters of faith are at stake decisions may be made by the Church in universal councils; we are agreed that these are authoritative (cf. Authority I, para. 19). We have also recognized the need in a united Church for a universal primate who, presiding over the koinonia, can speak with authority in the name of the Church (cf. Authority I, para. 23). Through both these agencies the Church can make a decisive judgement in matters of faith, and so exclude error.

Exclusion of error is the target, private interpretation cannot be devoid of error. I realized today that it is true, never means it wasn't true all along...on the bold lettered.
Re: @ Italo, Debosky And Others - Re: Bible Study Discourse And Matters Arising by Enigma(m): 3:58pm On Mar 26, 2013
Ihedinobi:

Nna, I don't know what you're saying o. I just asked you to explain what "the Catholic Church" is so that I can underatand what you have been saying. I didn't ask you to explain how the Catholic Church does anything. Do you have an answer to what "the Catholic Church" is?

Me I get answer for what the catholic Church is.

But make we wait for the people when talk say na only "The Catholic Church" fit to interprete Bible!

cheesy
Re: @ Italo, Debosky And Others - Re: Bible Study Discourse And Matters Arising by debosky(m): 4:01pm On Mar 26, 2013
italo:
You lied when you said:

What aspect of my statement was a lie - that the Holy Spirit moved or that the early church compiled the bible? Let's nail it down please.

And I said "how do you know that? I dont find anything like that written in the Bible...and when did this early church compile the bible?"

That was when your lies intensified. You said you know through historical accounts.

Again, where is the lie? That the scripture as now known was compiled over a period of time, with examples of such historical accounts of early compilations?

And I said "which historical accounts show that the early church compiled THE BIBLE?"

You lied again, saying: 'memoirs of the apostles'

I said it happened over a period of time - the 'memoirs of the apostles' was an example of a precursor compilation in use prior in the early Church. Where again is the lie?

And I said is memoir of the apostles the bible? Now I add, where does it say that the early Church compiled the bible?

You havent told me...neither does your false historical account mention any date or period.

ITS JUST LIES, ISNT IT?

I gave you examples - are you unable to understand that? undecided
Re: @ Italo, Debosky And Others - Re: Bible Study Discourse And Matters Arising by italo: 4:03pm On Mar 26, 2013
Ihedinobi:

Oga, weren't you saying that how Jesus saves is necessary to salvation or damnation in disagreement with my submission that it wasn't? I asked you to explain how.

You have slightly remixed what we said, but anyway let me answer you.

If the way we gain salvation is just by Jesus' death without anything else, all of humanity would be saved and no one would be damned.

But is that the case?
Re: @ Italo, Debosky And Others - Re: Bible Study Discourse And Matters Arising by italo: 4:09pm On Mar 26, 2013
@ debosky,

when did ur early church finalize the 27book NT?

and what "historical accounts" do you have to support your answer?
Re: @ Italo, Debosky And Others - Re: Bible Study Discourse And Matters Arising by debosky(m): 4:11pm On Mar 26, 2013
italo: @ debosky,

when did ur early church finalize the 27book NT?

and what "historical accounts" do you have to support your answer?

You aren't getting off that lightly - What lie have I told? If you cannot come out and show me what lie I have told, please refrain from asking me any further questions.
Re: @ Italo, Debosky And Others - Re: Bible Study Discourse And Matters Arising by italo: 4:12pm On Mar 26, 2013
@ ihedinobi, i think you should read the beginning of the thread, that way you'll know what i'm saying
Re: @ Italo, Debosky And Others - Re: Bible Study Discourse And Matters Arising by italo: 4:19pm On Mar 26, 2013
debosky:

You aren't getting off that lightly - What lie have I told? If you cannot come out and show me what lie I have told, please refrain from asking me any further questions.

You said you found out from historical accounts that the Holy Spirit moved the early Church to compile the Bible.

Till now, you havent even shown any historical account that even links the word "bible" to the early church.

'Memoirs of the apostles' shows that some books were widely accepted as scriptural but those books are not THE BIBLE.

You havent shown any historical account that links the early church to a canon of 27-book NT.
Re: @ Italo, Debosky And Others - Re: Bible Study Discourse And Matters Arising by debosky(m): 4:25pm On Mar 26, 2013
italo:

You said you found out from historical accounts that the Holy Spirit moved the early Church to compile the Bible.

Till now, you havent even shown any historical account that even links the word "bible" to the early church.

'Memoirs of the apostles' shows that some books were widely accepted as scriptural but those books are not THE BIBLE.

You havent shown any historical account that links the early church to a canon of 27-book NT.

Don't try to backtrack - this is what you said:

You dont even remember half the things we say. You lied when you said:

debosky: The Holy Spirit moved through the early Church to compile the bible.

Can we start right from the beginning - where is the lie in this statement?

If you claim I haven't proved what I said, that is a different matter- you say I have lied. Kindly show me the lie in my statement that The Holy Spirit moved through the early Church to compile the bible.
Re: @ Italo, Debosky And Others - Re: Bible Study Discourse And Matters Arising by Nobody: 4:35pm On Mar 26, 2013
italo:

You have slightly remixed what we said, but anyway let me answer you.

If the way we gain salvation is just by Jesus' death without anything else, all of humanity would be saved and no one would be damned.

But is that the case?

Nnaa ehn, you're complicating this matter even more. What does the second paragraph mean?

italo: @ ihedinobi, i think you should read the beginning of the thread, that way you'll know what i'm saying

Why do you suppose that I didn't start from the beginning? I'm not sure if you are not saying that you have no answer to my question. All I want is to have some idea what you refer to when you say "the Church" or "the Catholic Church". Is it possible that you really don't know what you mean by it?
Re: @ Italo, Debosky And Others - Re: Bible Study Discourse And Matters Arising by italo: 4:42pm On Mar 26, 2013
@ debosky,

St Justin Martyr, who made popular your much-loved 'Memoirs of the Apostles' has this to say about the Eucharist in his writing 'The First Apology.'

Chapter 66. Of the Eucharist

And this food is called among us Εὐχαριστία [the Eucharist], of which no one is allowed to partake but the man who believes that the things which we teach are true, and who has been washed with the washing that is for the remission of sins, and unto regeneration, and who is so living as Christ has enjoined. For not as common bread and common drink do we receive these; but in like manner as Jesus Christ our Saviour, having been made flesh by the Word of God, had both flesh and blood for our salvation, so likewise have we been taught that the food which is blessed by the prayer of His word, and from which our blood and flesh by transmutation are nourished, is the flesh and blood of that Jesus who was made flesh. For the apostles, in the memoirs composed by them, which are called Gospels, have thus delivered unto us what was enjoined upon them; that Jesus took bread, and when He had given thanks, said, This do in remembrance of Me, Luke 22:19 this is My body; and that, after the same manner, having taken the cup and given thanks, He said, This is My blood; and gave it to them alone. Which the wicked devils have imitated in the mysteries of Mithras, commanding the same thing to be done. For, that bread and a cup of water are placed with certain incantations in the mystic rites of one who is being initiated, you either know or can learn.

Your much-loved St Justin Martyr, an early Church Father, who lived in the 2nd century was obviously very Catholic.
Re: @ Italo, Debosky And Others - Re: Bible Study Discourse And Matters Arising by Syncan(m): 4:47pm On Mar 26, 2013
Ihedinobi:

The (Catholic) church is that universal body of faithful, established by Jesus Christ,under the leadership of Peter. see...
(Matt 16:18). She can be recognized today by these signs:

1. She is One: United in one belief, under one Visible leader."just as you were called to the one hope that belongs to your call, one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of us all" (Eph. 4:4-5), also "there would be one flock, one shepherd" (John 10:16). To peter he said "feed my sheep, feed my lamb" Jn21:17

2. She is Holy: Made visible by her ability to bring sinners to holiness. "Christ loved the Church and gave himself up for her, that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, that he might present the Church to himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish" (Eph. 5:25-27).

3. She is catholic: Universal, preaching same gospel all over the world for every race "the word of truth . . . in the whole world . . . is bearing fruit and growing" (Col. 1:5-6).

4. She is Apostolic: can be traced to have issued from the apostles. Christ commissioned the Apostles "Did I not choose you, the twelve?"(John 6:70). The apostles commissioned Bishops these commissioned others "that thou shouldest set in order the things that are wanting, and ordain elders in every city, as I had appointed thee"sadTitus 1:5-9) Note please: "One does not take the honor upon himself" (Heb. 5:4).

If you see these marks, there is the Catholic Church Italo speaks about.
Re: @ Italo, Debosky And Others - Re: Bible Study Discourse And Matters Arising by debosky(m): 4:48pm On Mar 26, 2013
Will you answer my question or not? Please point out the lie in my statement that:

The Holy Spirit moved through the early Church to compile the bible.

if you are unable to oblige this simple request please refrain from directing any further posts at me on this thread. Thank you. smiley
Re: @ Italo, Debosky And Others - Re: Bible Study Discourse And Matters Arising by italo: 4:53pm On Mar 26, 2013
Before that I had said

"You are lied. No historical account told you that the Bible was compiled by the early church (except you mean The Catholic Church in the 4th century). You have no proof of your lie."

And that was surely what I meant when I said "You lied when you said the Holy Spirit moved the early church to compile the Bible."

Sorry for the inaccuracy in my second statement.

...but how about the first?
Re: @ Italo, Debosky And Others - Re: Bible Study Discourse And Matters Arising by Enigma(m): 4:55pm On Mar 26, 2013
Enigma:

And as some say that only "the Catholic Church" is supposed to be doing this interpretation, we are still waiting for the meaning of "the Catholic Church".

Bill Graham interprets the Bible: is he part of "the Catholic Church"?

The Archbishop of Canterbury interprets the Bible; is he part of "the Catholic Church"?

The patriarchs of the Orthodox Churches interpret the Bible: are they part of "the Catholic Church"?

smiley

We dey wait . . . .

cool
Re: @ Italo, Debosky And Others - Re: Bible Study Discourse And Matters Arising by italo: 4:58pm On Mar 26, 2013
Ihedinobi:

Nnaa ehn, you're complicating this matter even more. What does the second paragraph mean?

Jesus died for all mankind, so why is all of manking not assured of salvation... If all that matters is his death, nothing else.

Ihedinobi: Why do you suppose that I didn't start from the beginning? I'm not sure if you are not saying that you have no answer to my question. All I want is to have some idea what you refer to when you say "the Church" or "the Catholic Church". Is it possible that you really don't know what you mean by it?

Because you dont seem to know what this thread is about.
Re: @ Italo, Debosky And Others - Re: Bible Study Discourse And Matters Arising by debosky(m): 5:05pm On Mar 26, 2013
italo: Before that I had said

"You are lied. No historical account told you that the Bible was compiled by the early church (except you mean The Catholic Church in the 4th century). You have no proof of your lie."

What does 'you are lied' mean? undecided Are you here to play games? If, according to you, I have no proof, how does that constitute a lie? It seems you are no longer interested in a reasoned conversation.

And that was surely what I meant when I said "You lied when you said the Holy Spirit moved the early church to compile the Bible."

Sorry for the inaccuracy in my second statement.

...but how about the first?

So you want me to start 'interpreting' what you mean? Sorry I'm not into playing games here.

It was not an inaccuracy - you claimed I lied, when I did no such thing. In the interest of progressing the thread, if you are unable to retract your comments, I will refrain from further posting and simply observe. Thanks. smiley
Re: @ Italo, Debosky And Others - Re: Bible Study Discourse And Matters Arising by Enigma(m): 5:05pm On Mar 26, 2013
And here is something I have posted in the past; I even expect to quote more from its original source later.

See how Christians who are not Roman Catholics understand that expression and why Lutherans, Evangelicals, Anglicans and even some Pentecostals can all say they believe/belong in "one, holy, catholic, apostolic, church." smiley

https://www.nairaland.com/1032312/scandal-church#11979108

“Why do we say that we believe in the Roman Catholic Church when we are Protestants?” they ask. The confusion arises because the word "catholic" is not in common usage in English today. Most people hear it used only in reference to the Roman Catholic Church. And so, when they read or hear the word "catholic" in another context, they assume it refers to the Church of Rome. But this is mistaken. "Catholic," in this context, means "universal" and is not a reference to the Church of Rome.

smiley

So are Lutherans, Anglicans, Evangelicals, Pentecostals etc who all say they are part of the catholic Church (and for that matter too the apostolic Church) also part of "The Catholic Church" or not?

We day wait . . . . lef, rai, lef, rai, lef!

smiley
Re: @ Italo, Debosky And Others - Re: Bible Study Discourse And Matters Arising by Nobody: 5:13pm On Mar 26, 2013
Syncan:

The (Catholic) church is that universal body of faithful, established by Jesus Christ,under the leadership of Peter.

Ok. You define "the Church" as a body of believers. It is this body of the faithful that you say can guide believers aright in interpreting the Scriptures, right? Can we say then that this essentially means that it is believers who guide themselves aright in interpreting the Scriptures?
Re: @ Italo, Debosky And Others - Re: Bible Study Discourse And Matters Arising by Nobody: 5:39pm On Mar 26, 2013
italo:

Jesus died for all mankind, so why is all of manking not assured of salvation... If all that matters is his death, nothing else.

I still don't understand what you're about here. What is salvation hinged upon if not Faith that Jesus's Death has made the believer right with God? Your answer to that was "how Jesus's Death saved us".

That is, you hold that we have to believe in how Jesus's Death saved us to be saved. And I asked you to explain how that works. I don't get where this stuff about everyone supposing to be saved and yet not in fact saved fits into the picture.

Because you dont seem to know what this thread is about.

This reads an awful lot like a cop-out. I have explained sufdiciently how my inquiry fits into the purpose of the thread. I think that you are unwilling to venture an answer to my question.

If yoi have no answer, I will consider all your allusions to the Catholic Church and the Church to be meaningless in any discussion involving you.
Re: @ Italo, Debosky And Others - Re: Bible Study Discourse And Matters Arising by italo: 6:06pm On Mar 26, 2013
debosky:

What does 'you are lied' mean? undecided Are you here to play games? If, according to you, I have no proof, how does that constitute a lie? It seems you are no longer interested in a reasoned conversation.

Okay, sorry, let me rephrase that post of mine. I put it to you that you lie when you say you have historical account showing that the early church (if you mean it to be different from the Catholic Church) compiled the Bible on being moved by the Spirit. You are free to provide evidence if you think I am wrong.

debosky: So you want me to start 'interpreting' what you mean? Sorry I'm not into playing games here.

It was not an inaccuracy - you claimed I lied, when I did no such thing. In the interest of progressing the thread, if you are unable to retract your comments, I will refrain from further posting and simply observe. Thanks. smiley

I said I was sorry for my inaccurate post. If that is not enough for you, then you can go ahead and stop posting. Will I cut my head and put it on a tray for you?

Afterall, technically, it could still be a lie...since you havent provided any evidence to the contrary.
Re: @ Italo, Debosky And Others - Re: Bible Study Discourse And Matters Arising by italo: 6:23pm On Mar 26, 2013
Ihedinobi:

I still don't understand what you're about here. What is salvation hinged upon if not Faith that Jesus's Death has made the believer right with God? Your answer to that was "how Jesus's Death saved us".

That is, you hold that we have to believe in how Jesus's Death saved us to be saved. And I asked you to explain how that works. I don't get where this stuff about everyone supposing to be saved and yet not in fact saved fits into the picture.

You just jumped into what debosky and I were saying without understanding it.

He said it as long as he knew that Jesus' death saves us, he didnt need to know any other details, like HOW we are saved through Jesus' death.

I said he did.

We need to know how to respond to Jesus' saving death. Otherwise, we could still be damned even though Jesus died to save us.

Ihedinobi: This reads an awful lot like a cop-out. I have explained sufdiciently how my inquiry fits into the purpose of the thread. I think that you are unwilling to venture an answer to my question.

If yoi have no answer, I will consider all your allusions to the Catholic Church and the Church to be meaningless in any discussion involving you.

LOL... And that is supposed to scare me into telling you what I dont want to tell you at this time? Sorry, it cant.

I remember asking you how you think Christians should know accurately God's teaching (which is what the thread is about) but I cant remember you giving me any intelligible answer.

Instead you are hell bent on digressing to topics like SALVATION and DEFINITION OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH.

Yes, I can talk about those with you...but not while you are dodging the main topic of discussion.
Re: @ Italo, Debosky And Others - Re: Bible Study Discourse And Matters Arising by italo: 6:28pm On Mar 26, 2013
Ihedinobi:

Ok. You define "the Church" as a body of believers. It is this body of the faithful that you say can guide believers aright in interpreting the Scriptures, right? Can we say then that this essentially means that it is believers who guide themselves aright in interpreting the Scriptures?

The magisterium is the teaching body of the Catholic Church.

If I say "your family decides what happens with its land," it doesnt necessarily mean the little children are involved in the decision making. It would surely be the elders, wont it?
Re: @ Italo, Debosky And Others - Re: Bible Study Discourse And Matters Arising by italo: 6:33pm On Mar 26, 2013
Lutherans, Anglicans etc broke away from the Catholic Church...yet they love to glorify themselves by saying they are part of the Catholic Church...or that they are a denomination of the Catholic Church.

Very funny. When did Jesus ever tell us about "denominations" in his Church.

You are either in or out.
Re: @ Italo, Debosky And Others - Re: Bible Study Discourse And Matters Arising by Enigma(m): 6:40pm On Mar 26, 2013
Enigma:

And as some say that only "the Catholic Church" is supposed to be doing this interpretation, we are still waiting for the meaning of "the Catholic Church".

Bill Graham interprets the Bible: is he part of "the Catholic Church"?

The Archbishop of Canterbury interprets the Bible; is he part of "the Catholic Church"?

The patriarchs of the Orthodox Churches interpret the Bible: are they part of "the Catholic Church"?

smiley
Re: @ Italo, Debosky And Others - Re: Bible Study Discourse And Matters Arising by italo: 6:49pm On Mar 26, 2013
They might be part of your imaginary "two or three gathered in Jesus name" Catholic Church.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Breaking!!! Oyakhilome’s Brother, Rev. Ken Impregnates South African Member / Chris Oyakhilome Visits His Mum In Benin,see How She Welcomed Him(photo) / Possible Similarities Between Pro-life & Pro-choice Moral Worldviews On Abortion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.