Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,132 members, 7,849,548 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 12:08 AM

@ Italo, Debosky And Others - Re: Bible Study Discourse And Matters Arising - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / @ Italo, Debosky And Others - Re: Bible Study Discourse And Matters Arising (7462 Views)

Discourse And Anecdotes On Dreams / The Theory Of Hell And Matters Arising. / My Reading Of The Holy Bible And Matters Arising (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: @ Italo, Debosky And Others - Re: Bible Study Discourse And Matters Arising by italo: 1:44pm On Mar 26, 2013
Ihedinobi:

Describe this "the Catholic Church" to me, if you will. Is it a congregation of people or a mystical quantity? What does it mean?

You are really trying hard to derail the thread, arent you?
Re: @ Italo, Debosky And Others - Re: Bible Study Discourse And Matters Arising by italo: 1:48pm On Mar 26, 2013
Ihedinobi:

Please explain how the workings of the Death of Jesus, that is, how the Death of Jesus saves rather than the bare fact that it does, are a matter of salvation or damnation.

My dear friend.

The issue this thread was meant to address is how christians are supposed to come to an accurate interpretation of scripture.

Not whether chemical weapons were used in Syria...or by what margin Obama defeated Romney.

Sorry to say.
Re: @ Italo, Debosky And Others - Re: Bible Study Discourse And Matters Arising by Zikkyy(m): 1:55pm On Mar 26, 2013
Ubenedictus:
not when d holyspirit is alive, will he be sleeping when d whole church is teaching error!

We have thousands of interpretations abi? so the truth is out there somewhere smiley

Ubenedictus:
Again dat implys dat d bible u hold may be filled with error, a council compiled it.

are you referring to the books or the content of the books?
Re: @ Italo, Debosky And Others - Re: Bible Study Discourse And Matters Arising by Zikkyy(m): 1:57pm On Mar 26, 2013
italo:
The bolded is big evidence that you dont even know where you stand.

if only i understand what you are talking about here.
Re: @ Italo, Debosky And Others - Re: Bible Study Discourse And Matters Arising by Zikkyy(m): 1:58pm On Mar 26, 2013
Syncan:

Yes o, because i believe Christ's word is true..."and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it".

we are not talking about Christ word here o!
Re: @ Italo, Debosky And Others - Re: Bible Study Discourse And Matters Arising by Zikkyy(m): 2:01pm On Mar 26, 2013
Syncan:

That's where we profess belief and yet we have no faith. The apostles were with Jesus, heard him preach that he will rise after the third day, yet they had no faith that it will happen that way. The same scenario is repeating, Why will i look at the "Church" as being solely under human influence?

Yeah. same way Rev. King followers believed their pastor was being led by holy spirit grin you never know till something happen to show otherwise.
Re: @ Italo, Debosky And Others - Re: Bible Study Discourse And Matters Arising by Nobody: 2:03pm On Mar 26, 2013
italo:

So when the apostles were given power to forgive and retain sin in John 20:22,23, Jesus was talking to you and Enigma too abi?

What do you think?

I dont like long directionless stories, sorry. If the Holy Spirit is sufficient to teach every believer everything, why did the apostles keep teaching those who already believed?

Simple question!

Well, the long directionless story is my answer, sorry.

Even individuals have their own contradictory doctrines...including you and debosky. Besides, Adeboye and Pastor Chris impose their personal doctrines on their organizations, dont they? How then can there be these differing doctrines in the one church of God that preaches one faith?

I think my answer is quite clear. The Church is not made up of manifestos, she is the body of all believers in their nakked faith in Christ.

Which "Holy Spirit" within them? The same one that teaches them millions of contradictory doctrines? PLEASE!

So it is by the Spirit that you knew that the letters were written by their purported writers?! PLEASE, JUST STOP THE DECEIT. What about the books that the Catholic Church threw out? Your Spirit also told you that there were unscriptural, abi?

Bros, na fight? grin Take am easy o. I have not said anything contradictory to the Bible, have I?

I only answered your question. If you don't like the answer, you could point out what you think is wrong with it.

St. Paul said they had lost connection with the head. If you feel there were part of the body while being disconnected from the head, I have nothing to say to you on that.

I only tried to show that the teachings did not arise from outside the Church. If they lost connection, they had it once. They were not aliens who started the teachings in question.

Besides, doesnt that prove that it is the Church that interprets God teachings, not even individual lay members of the Church using their own private interpretation to their own detriment?

Still have nary an idea what you vould possibly mean when you say "the Church".
Re: @ Italo, Debosky And Others - Re: Bible Study Discourse And Matters Arising by Nobody: 2:08pm On Mar 26, 2013
italo:

You are really trying hard to derail the thread, arent you?

I most definitely am not. You hold that it is this "the Catholic Church" that has the only true and correct interpretation of the Bible. It is only fair that you tell us what it is, don't you think? I honestly have no idea what you mean by it.
Re: @ Italo, Debosky And Others - Re: Bible Study Discourse And Matters Arising by Enigma(m): 2:09pm On Mar 26, 2013
Ihedinobi:

I most definitely am not. You hold that it is this "the Catholic Church" that has the only true and correct interpretation of the Bible. It is only fair that you tell us what it is, don't you think? I honestly have no idea what you mean by it.

We dey wait . . . . wink
Re: @ Italo, Debosky And Others - Re: Bible Study Discourse And Matters Arising by debosky(m): 2:12pm On Mar 26, 2013
This is what (some?) Catholics also believe about the scripture, yet Italo is claiming authorship:

Through the gift of the Spirit the apostolic community came to recognise in the words and deeds of Jesus the saving activity of God and their mission to proclaim to all men the good news of salvation. Therefore they preached Jesus through whom God has spoken finally to men. Assisted by the Holy Spirit they transmitted what they had heard and seen of the life and words of Jesus and their interpretation of his redemptive work. Consequently the inspired documents in which this is related came to be accepted by the Church as a normative record of the authentic foundation of the faith.

Note the terminology - came to be accepted, not authored by.

Remember Italo stated that certain verses were written 'only' for apostles? This is what (some?) Catholics believe:

The perception of God's will for his Church does not belong only to the ordained ministry but is shared by all its members. All who live faithfully within the koinonia may become sensitive to the leading of the Spirit and be brought towards a deeper understanding of the gospel and of its implications in diverse cultures and changing situations.

Yet we are not allowed, according to Italo, to gain this deeper understanding of the gospel as individuals eh?

Now finally, as for what this 'church' is:

The Church is a community which consciously seeks to submit to Jesus Christ. By sharing in the life of the Spirit all find within the koinonia the means to be faithful to the revelation of their Lord. Some respond more fully to his call; by the inner quality of their life they win a respect which allows them to speak in Christ's name with authority.

To surmise - The Church is NOT synonymous with the Roman Catholic Church. It is identified by its characteristics not its title. Furthermore, it is by responding more fully to the call of Jesus that one speaks with authority.

Read More
Re: @ Italo, Debosky And Others - Re: Bible Study Discourse And Matters Arising by Nobody: 2:14pm On Mar 26, 2013
italo:

My dear friend.

The issue this thread was meant to address is how christians are supposed to come to an accurate interpretation of scripture.

Not whether chemical weapons were used in Syria...or by what margin Obama defeated Romney.

Sorry to say.

Sure, but you chose to call me on my "wrong" which was made in my explanation for the multifarious interpretations that exist. I'm only asking you to clarify what you denounced as wrong.
Re: @ Italo, Debosky And Others - Re: Bible Study Discourse And Matters Arising by italo: 2:14pm On Mar 26, 2013
debosky:

The passages are for everybody - it said ALL, from the least to the greatest. Who did John write his letter to? Only apostles?? Can you tell us what other teachings are reserved for 'apostles' and which ones are for us 'laymen'?

I meant the passages I posted. Jesus was talking to his apostles.

debosky: The bible says ‘no longer’ - it means there is a time for teaching, after which one should be able to discern the will of God through the Holy Spirit.

Why then did the apostles continue to teach people who had already been taught and had believed?

debosky: I don’t know - the Lord knows those who are His. You can make your own judgments if you wish.

If you dont know who is in the Church and who is not, why have you been arguing about what you dont know all the while. Why didnt you just remain quiet?

debosky: I am not ignorant - yes there were disputes, but that does not mean there were no widely accepted and authentic usage of Paul, Peter, John and others’ writings. Like I said - formal ‘endorsement’ or ‘compilation’ of what was already commonly in use is different from claiming authorship.

Okay, tell us which books were widely accepted and which were disputed. How do you know the disputed ones are scripture? Is it not because the Catholic Church said so?

debosky: I don’t - I simply stated that your claims of ‘writing’ the New Testament in the 4th Century is incorrect. Pay attention and stick to the subject of discourse.

I never claimed that the new testament was written in the fourth century. Please quote me...God bless you as you do so. I said the Church wrote the new testament.

debosky: It is because early church groupings (e.g. the churches at Ephesus, at Thessaloniki, at Antioch, etc) had received these teachings and were using them. That they were 'formalised' at a council doesn't change the fact that they were already treated as inspired among many church groupings at the time.

You believe because the Catholic Church told you so. If not, give me proof that these church communities used all 27 books of the new testament only.

debosky: Nonsense - APOSTOLIC CONSTITUTION OF POPE PAUL VI INDULGENTIARUM DOCTRINA WHEREBY THE REVISION OF SACRED INDULGENCES IS PROMULGATED

Please tell me what it means to revise? cheesy

"Revise" doesnt necessarily mean to change.

If I write my CV, gain another qualification, then decide to include it in my CV, I would have revised, not changed my CV. With the Catholic Church, no doctrine can change, we can only get more revelation about a doctrine that we had before. It is the same spirit that teaches us, He cannot contradict himself.

debosky: The Church didn’t write the bible, it was written by Christians inspired by the Holy Spirit - those who had close encounters with Jesus and those that were with Him while he was on earth. The Catholic church as you call it TODAY has imbibed practices that are not supported by the written accounts of those that had close contact with Jesus. I cannot go back to 70 AD or 90 AD to re-investigate everything, so I will stick with that which I am confident is true.

Those men were the first fathers of the Catholic Church. The Church does nothing contrary to the scriptures it partly wrote and fully compiled. It only does things that are contrary to your false interpretation of scripture.

debosky: Where were the teachings in Thessalonians being carried out? In the market? The emphasis in 2:19 had to be made because those people were still physically present within the Church but were in actual fact SPIRITUALLY disconnected. They had lost that connection, meaning they were still physically associating with the church.

Anyway it proves me right. The Church decides, not some individual elements (within or outside)
Re: @ Italo, Debosky And Others - Re: Bible Study Discourse And Matters Arising by Syncan(m): 2:17pm On Mar 26, 2013
Zikkyy:

we are not talking about Christ word here o!

Please remind me what we are talking about.
Re: @ Italo, Debosky And Others - Re: Bible Study Discourse And Matters Arising by Zikkyy(m): 2:18pm On Mar 26, 2013
italo:

...And you think the "founding fathers" were sinless?

Ma illustration was not to show that the apostles were without sin, but to show that a lot of factors can influence church teachings today and some of these teachings can contradict that of the apostles..
Re: @ Italo, Debosky And Others - Re: Bible Study Discourse And Matters Arising by Enigma(m): 2:19pm On Mar 26, 2013
Ihedinobi:

We dey wait . . . . wink

Lef, rai, lef , rai lef smiley
Re: @ Italo, Debosky And Others - Re: Bible Study Discourse And Matters Arising by Syncan(m): 2:20pm On Mar 26, 2013
Zikkyy:

Yeah. same way Rev. King followers believed their pastor was being led by holy spirit grin you never know till something happen to show otherwise.

You see why it is unsafe to follow one man's interpretation of scripture. Even Paul himself had to go back to Jerusalem to be re-assured that what he was teaching is right. That's why we talk about councils and not one man.
Re: @ Italo, Debosky And Others - Re: Bible Study Discourse And Matters Arising by Zikkyy(m): 2:24pm On Mar 26, 2013
italo:

Is that what happened at the council in Jerusalem?

They took feedback from every Christian?

stop comparing church leadership of today to the apostles. modern day arrangement is what i call 'student teaching student' grin we all rely on what was laid down by the apostles. They are not teaching any new stuff. It just that they spend more time with the scriptures and history books grin
Re: @ Italo, Debosky And Others - Re: Bible Study Discourse And Matters Arising by Nobody: 2:25pm On Mar 26, 2013
debosky: This is what (some?) Catholics also believe about the scripture, yet Italo is claiming authorship:

Through the gift of the Spirit the apostolic community came to recognise in the words and deeds of Jesus the saving activity of God and their mission to proclaim to all Imen the good news of salvation. Therefore they preached Jesus through whom God has spoken finally to men. Assisted by the Holy Spirit they transmitted what they had heard and seen of the life and words of Jesus and their interpretation of his redemptive work. Consequently the inspired documents in which this is related came to be accepted by the Church as a normative record of the authentic foundation of the faith.

Note the terminology - came to be accepted, not authored by.

Remember Italo stated that certain verses were written 'only' for apostles? This is what (some?) Catholics believe:

The perception of God's will for his Church does not belong only to the ordained ministry but is shared by all its members. All who live faithfully within the koinonia may become sensitive to the leading of the Spirit and be brought towards a deeper understanding of the gospel and of its implications in diverse cultures and changing situations.

Yet we are not allowed, according to Italo, to gain this deeper understanding of the gospel as individuals eh?

Now finally, as for what this 'church' is:

The Church is a community which consciously seeks to submit to Jesus Christ. By sharing in the life of the Spirit all find within the koinonia the means to be faithful to the revelation of their Lord. Some respond more fully to his call; by the inner quality of their life they win a respect which allows them to speak in Christ's name with authority.

To surmise - The Church is NOT synonymous with the Roman Catholic Church. It is identified by its characteristics not its title. Furthermore, it is by responding more fully to the call of Jesus that one speaks with authority.

Read More

Interesting, bro. smiley But we have to wait for italo to adopt it to be sure that it represents his own view of the issues. Maybe he means an entirely different Catholic Church.
Re: @ Italo, Debosky And Others - Re: Bible Study Discourse And Matters Arising by Nobody: 2:26pm On Mar 26, 2013
Enigma:

We dey wait . . . . wink

Lef, rai, lef , rai lef smiley

grin
Re: @ Italo, Debosky And Others - Re: Bible Study Discourse And Matters Arising by Zikkyy(m): 2:36pm On Mar 26, 2013
italo:

The problem is you dont know what you believe. If they did, then you can never be sure you know Christ.

I think the problem is you don't understand what you are reading. There is a difference between 'can' and 'did'.
Re: @ Italo, Debosky And Others - Re: Bible Study Discourse And Matters Arising by Zikkyy(m): 2:38pm On Mar 26, 2013
italo:
You protestants just dont get that.

Please stop calling me a protestant angry am not protesting anything here.
Re: @ Italo, Debosky And Others - Re: Bible Study Discourse And Matters Arising by Zikkyy(m): 2:41pm On Mar 26, 2013
italo:

Even if the books are false, it wouldnt mean there is no Christ. The books could well be a deliberate misrepresentation of the person and teaching of Christ.

It would still mean that you do not know what you believe.

I think that's what referred to as 'faith' grin
Re: @ Italo, Debosky And Others - Re: Bible Study Discourse And Matters Arising by Syncan(m): 2:46pm On Mar 26, 2013
What(some)Non-Catholics believe...culled from Debosky's reference

In the past, Roman Catholic teaching that the bishop of Rome is universal primate by divine right or law has been regarded by Anglicans as unacceptable. However, we believe that the primacy of the bishop of Rome can be affirmed as part of God's design for the universal koinonia in terms which are compatible with both our traditions. Given such a consensus, the language of divine right used by the First Vatican Council need no longer be seen as a matter of disagreement between us.

If it's God's design, it has been so for ages.
Re: @ Italo, Debosky And Others - Re: Bible Study Discourse And Matters Arising by italo: 2:46pm On Mar 26, 2013
debosky:
I will, but let’s investigate your answer first - so simply by saying ‘I am in the CATHOLIC CHURCH’ means ! am permitted to teach?

The magisterium of the Church teaches us. Its okay if i teach, as long as I'm not in contradiction to the Church.

Tell me your answer.

debosky: There are numerous - collections of Paul’s work called the ‘memoirs of the apostles’ had been in circulation long before your so called ‘writing of the New Testament’ in the 4th Century.

What is wrong with you? Is this 'memoirs of the apostles’ THE BIBLE? Were Mark and Luke apostles? Why do you accept their books as scripture?

And stop repeating the lie that i said the new testament was written in the 4th century, unless you can provide proof.

debosky: It may have had its origins within the early church groupings, but its current practices now such as indulgences and asking Mary to pray is not consistent with the teachings of Paul and James as recorded. Like I told you, holding a ‘connection’ to the early Church means nothing if you have moved away from the teachings of that early Church.

"It may" You lack of knowledge about what you are arguing about is now very evident for all to see.

You dont know who and who make up the Church. You dont know when the Catholic Church started... Yet you have been blowing hot air since morning.

debosky: I am not dubious in the least - I don’t know the exact date, neither do I consider that to be central. The fact is that it happened.

You are lied. No historical account told you that the Bible was compiled by the early church (except you mean The Catholic Church in the 4th century). You have no proof of your lie.

debosky: It happened over a period of time - there are collections of scripture in use from the second century which show many/most of the books of the NT already being read together.

"many/most"... what about the remaining books. When were they included to make the bible? When was the Bible compiled? Simple. Stop

debosky: I don’t need to follow any private interpretation - it is plain enough to see and read from scripture.

Plain enough to read but not plain enough to interpret so you follow your false private interpretation.

debosky: I am saying individuals and groups can make mistakes. If the Catholic Church is ‘infallible’ why did it have to ‘revise’ its doctrine on indulgences? Did it make a mistake the first time?

More truths were revealed by God. No truth was rescinded...nor has ever been rescinded.

If the Catholic Church is fallible, why do you believe they chose the right books for the Bible?

debosky: It isn’t but you’re veering off track here by making silly statements. How do you know my doctrines are false without even knowing what they are?

If your doctrine contradicts the true doctrine then it has to be false...and you contradict Catholic doctrine.

debosky: What verse?

John 6:53.
Re: @ Italo, Debosky And Others - Re: Bible Study Discourse And Matters Arising by debosky(m): 2:47pm On Mar 26, 2013
italo: I meant the passages I posted. Jesus was talking to his apostles.

Ok - now let’s nail this once and for all. Are those passages applicable to ALL Christians today or only to a subset? Simple answer please.

Why then did the apostles continue to teach people who had already been taught and had believed?

There comes a time when an individual can search the scripture for himself, that is the point. It does not mean they will never learn from others.

If you dont know who is in the Church and who is not, why have you been arguing about what you dont know all the while. Why didnt you just remain quiet?

Why are you fond of going off tangent? This discussion is about how to interpret scripture, and you want to turn it into making judgments on who and who is in the Church?

Okay, tell us which books were widely accepted and which were disputed. How do you know the disputed ones are scripture? Is it not because the Catholic Church said so?

Why should I waste my time further on this pointless exercise? So if I tell you which ones were disputed, what does that achieve? My point stands - all that happened was a ‘formalisation’ of what was already widely accepted.

You believe because the Catholic Church told you so. If not, give me proof that these church communities used all 27 books of the new testament only.

Now you’re getting silly - I don’t need to prove anything else to you. I have explained the process by which the scripture came to be accepted, and it was through use in local church groupings. End of story. Yes there was a ‘formalisation’, but only formalising what was already widely accepted.

"Revise" doesnt necessarily mean to change.
If I write my CV, gain another qualification, then decide to include it in my CV, I would have revised, not changed my CV. With the Catholic Church, no doctrine can change, we can only get more revelation about a doctrine that we had before. It is the same spirit that teaches us, He cannot contradict himself.

Now this is ridiculous - adding something that wasn’t previously included is a change - plain and simple.

Those men were the first fathers of the Catholic Church. The Church does nothing contrary to the scriptures it partly wrote and fully compiled. It only does things that are contrary to your false interpretation of scripture.

There are no teachings of the practice of indulgences in the scripture - if there are, please point them out to me. There are also no teachings on asking Mary or any dead person to pray for us. If there are please point them out to me. In plain language please, so my ‘false’ interpretation of scripture doesn’t get in the way.
Re: @ Italo, Debosky And Others - Re: Bible Study Discourse And Matters Arising by Enigma(m): 2:52pm On Mar 26, 2013
Ihedinobi:

Interesting, bro. smiley But we have to wait for italo to adopt it to be sure that it represents his own view of the issues. Maybe he means an entirely different Catholic Church.

IIRC the then Roman Catholic "pope" approved the document. I referred to it obliquely in an old post https://www.nairaland.com/1101186/catholics-really-wants-make-heaven/2#12998393

smiley
Re: @ Italo, Debosky And Others - Re: Bible Study Discourse And Matters Arising by Zikkyy(m): 2:55pm On Mar 26, 2013
Syncan:

Please remind me what we are talking about.

Interpretations my dear, interpretations. that's the koko of the matter here smiley
Re: @ Italo, Debosky And Others - Re: Bible Study Discourse And Matters Arising by italo: 2:58pm On Mar 26, 2013
Ihedinobi:

Sure, but you chose to call me on my "wrong" which was made in my explanation for the multifarious interpretations that exist. I'm only asking you to clarify what you denounced as wrong.

What is it that you want me to clarify which I denounced as wrong, this man? Please show me.

As far as I am concerned, you have not said anything on this thread.
Re: @ Italo, Debosky And Others - Re: Bible Study Discourse And Matters Arising by Enigma(m): 3:00pm On Mar 26, 2013
Zikkyy:

Interpretations my dear, interpretations. that's the koko of the matter here smiley

And as some say that only "the Catholic Church" is supposed to be doing this interpretation, we are still waiting for the meaning of "the Catholic Church".

Bill Graham interprets the Bible: is he part of "the Catholic Church"?

The Archbishop of Canterbury interprets the Bible; is he part of "the Catholic Church"?

The patriarchs of the Orthodox Churches interpret the Bible: are they part of "the Catholic Church"?

smiley
Re: @ Italo, Debosky And Others - Re: Bible Study Discourse And Matters Arising by Zikkyy(m): 3:02pm On Mar 26, 2013
Syncan:
You see why it is unsafe to follow one man's interpretation of scripture. Even Paul himself had to go back to Jerusalem to be re-assured that what he was teaching is right. That's why we talk about councils and not one man.

there's no bullet-proof approach to interpreting the scriptures. they all have advantages and disadvantages. The idea of a council is not bad if the congregation is carried along. The council work even better in this age where people don't even want to interpret the scriptures for themselves. so they swallow the both the drug and poison provided by the church leaders. italo's position is that the council must be that of the RCC. and my position is that council's interpretation is acceptable if it aligns with my understanding of the scriptures, afterall council members are also bringing in their private interpretation on the matter under review.
Re: @ Italo, Debosky And Others - Re: Bible Study Discourse And Matters Arising by italo: 3:05pm On Mar 26, 2013
Ihedinobi:

It seems that you protestants are now solely focused on the Catholic Church.

Do we take it Protestants have no way of knowing accurately God's teaching?

So we can fully concentrate on explaining how the Catholic Church has the authority to explain scripture to God's people.
Re: @ Italo, Debosky And Others - Re: Bible Study Discourse And Matters Arising by debosky(m): 3:28pm On Mar 26, 2013
italo: The magisterium of the Church teaches us. Its okay if i teach, as long as I'm not in contradiction to the Church.

What is the magisterium of the church? Abeg indulge those of us that are ‘simple’ folk.

What is wrong with you? Is this 'memoirs of the apostles’ THE BIBLE? Were Mark and Luke apostles? Why do you accept their books as scripture?

Did I tell you it was the bible? You asked me for historical accounts, I give you an example historical account and you come back with this silly response?

And stop repeating the lie that i said the new testament was written in the 4th century, unless you can provide proof.

Oh my bad - you said it was compiled in the 4th Century. Happy now? smiley

"It may" You lack of knowledge about what you are arguing about is now very evident for all to see.

On the contrary. My use of may was deliberate and possibly flew over your head - it means that whether or not the Catholic Church as constituted today has links to the early church, that is not the test of whether its practices are in agreement with those of the early Church.

You dont know who and who make up the Church. You dont know when the Catholic Church started... Yet you have been blowing hot air since morning.

Now you’re just being silly - if you’re not interested in focusing on the subject matter, please say so. We are talking about interpretation of scripture and you want me to give you a list of people who make up the Church. Really?

You are lied. No historical account told you that the Bible was compiled by the early church (except you mean The Catholic Church in the 4th century). You have no proof of your lie.

For avoidance of doubt, this is what I said: That a Council ‘formalised’/’endorsed’ the scripture ALREADY in use by church groupings at the time does not mean it the council ‘declared it’ as God’s word. People were using Paul’s teachings, Luke, Matthew and James’ writings long before any Council did anything.

I have provided proof of the scripture being in use before the council ‘formalised’ them. End of story.

"many/most"... what about the remaining books. When were they included to make the bible? When was the Bible compiled? Simple. Stop

As others have even said, other Council ‘canonised’ the OT long before the Catholics did so - my point is already made. the NT was purely compiled based on existing, widely accepted scripture in use.

Plain enough to read but not plain enough to interpret so you follow your false private interpretation.

What private interpretation have I followed? That I can accept Jesus’ death and that grants me salvation?

More truths were revealed by God. No truth was rescinded...nor has ever been rescinded.

But the truth has been ‘revised’ and changed by the Catholic Church? Interesting.

If the Catholic Church is fallible, why do you believe they chose the right books for the Bible?

This is an incredibly daft question. If I can do simple addition 1+1=2 and get that right does it render me infallible?
If we even accept that the Catholics chose the right books for the bible, that does not and can not render every decision taken since then as right. This simple principle is too difficult for you to understand.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Breaking!!! Oyakhilome’s Brother, Rev. Ken Impregnates South African Member / I Will Embrace Death As An Atheist Any Time! What Is Afterlife? / NIGHT OF BLISS with Pastor Chris at the O2 Arena. Were You There?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.