Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,268 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:59 AM

A Thread For Instrumentalists & Choristers - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Thread For Instrumentalists & Choristers (8255 Views)

A Thread For Catholics / Is It Right For Churches To Pay Instrumentalists ? / Choristers Please Help With Lyrics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Instrumentalists & Choristers by Nobody: 6:15pm On Apr 22, 2013
Acidosis, do you still visit this thread? smiley Got a Q for you.

Wanna start learning drums. Whaddya advise?
Re: A Thread For Instrumentalists & Choristers by Nobody: 6:30pm On Apr 22, 2013
Ihedinobi: Acidosis, do you still visit this thread? smiley Got a Q for you.

grin
with your short legs... tongue
Re: A Thread For Instrumentalists & Choristers by Nobody: 6:43pm On Apr 22, 2013
nice thread, i play all kinda guitars and saxophone very well , a violin and trumpet learner. I play a lil keyboard too.
Re: A Thread For Instrumentalists & Choristers by Nobody: 6:49pm On Apr 22, 2013
musKeeto:

grin

But I can drive. grin
Re: A Thread For Instrumentalists & Choristers by Acidosis(m): 8:54pm On Apr 22, 2013
peterg3: Am peter,a music director nd a keyboardist!I love to score nd teach parts!I love the yamaha motif keyboard,xf8!incredible

Nice to meet you Mr Peter. smiley

I'm sure you'll enjoy the thread cheesy as you meet your fellow keyboardist
Re: A Thread For Instrumentalists & Choristers by Acidosis(m): 8:57pm On Apr 22, 2013
toba: my former church afforded me the opportunity of learning virtually all musical instruments such as Keyboard, lead guitar, bass guitar, konga, drums set, sekere, agogo. I dont know how to play any wind instrument though.

I major on the keyboard where i've played for both the living and the dead

shocked shocked the dead??

Nice to meet you sir cheesy Do u have passion for wind instruments? I heard trumpet is easy to learn, but I guess you can start with a flute cool
Re: A Thread For Instrumentalists & Choristers by Acidosis(m): 8:58pm On Apr 22, 2013
Hidorano: Pls am interested in learning saxophone, any help from anybody.

Just keep visiting the thread, with time you'll meet a good number of great saxophonist cheesy
Re: A Thread For Instrumentalists & Choristers by Acidosis(m): 9:00pm On Apr 22, 2013
dokie:

I have always believed i have a natural talent for instruments especially the keyboard, but i have never gone for any training. Kindly provide info on where i can inexpensively learn to play the keyboard and the saxophone proffessionaly. I would like to start from there.
This is great smiley
It all depends on your location, bro. Music schools may charge higher compared to private tutors.
Re: A Thread For Instrumentalists & Choristers by Acidosis(m): 9:05pm On Apr 22, 2013
Ihedinobi: Acidosis, do you still visit this thread? smiley Got a Q for you.

wow...brother I'm listening. The thread is for all.

Musketo said you have short legs grin I'm afraid you might wanna order for a special kind of drum set.. grin

Well bro, its never too late to learn. Its not how long you've been holding drum sticks..
Re: A Thread For Instrumentalists & Choristers by Acidosis(m): 9:08pm On Apr 22, 2013
Guitarlife: nice thread, i play all kinda guitars and saxophone very well , a violin and trumpet learner. I play a lil keyboard too.
wow..nice to meet u sir

Which do you think is easier to learn (Sax or Trumpet) ?

musKeeto:

grin
grin grin

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Instrumentalists & Choristers by Nobody: 9:44pm On Apr 22, 2013
Acidosis:
wow..nice to meet u sir

Which do you think is easier to learn (Sax or Trumpet) ?

grin grin
i feel they both have the same level of difficulty. Saxophone has more swags though but its rather a delicate instrument compared to trumpet. If i was to choose one, i'd stick with saxophone. Its far more conventional and it also gets you the gals easily.lol
Re: A Thread For Instrumentalists & Choristers by JeSoul(f): 9:59pm On Apr 22, 2013
musKeeto:

grin
Ihedinobi:

But I can drive. grin
Chai! 'hedi...how can you let muskerrow yab you like that and get away with it? grin

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Instrumentalists & Choristers by Nobody: 10:17pm On Apr 22, 2013
Acidosis:

wow...brother I'm listening. The thread is for all.

Musketo said you have short legs grin I'm afraid you might wanna order for a special kind of drum set.. grin

Well bro, its never too late to learn. Its not how long you've been holding drum sticks..

Se you de follow dat insekt de yab me abi! angry No fin my trouble o.

Seriously though, how did you start?
Re: A Thread For Instrumentalists & Choristers by Nobody: 10:25pm On Apr 22, 2013
JeSoul: Chai! 'hedi...how can you let muskerrow yab you like that and get away with it? grin

I'm killing his brothers and cousins here. It's that time of night grin And when I am low on yabs like now, musKeeto's family takes the heat.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Instrumentalists & Choristers by jayriginal: 10:41pm On Apr 22, 2013
I play the guitar primarily. Its a very fulfilling instrument.
Re: A Thread For Instrumentalists & Choristers by Hidorano(m): 4:58am On Apr 23, 2013
Guitarlife: nice thread, i play all kinda guitars and saxophone very well , a violin and trumpet learner. I play a lil keyboard too.
pls can u just tel me anyfin or word of advice on how i can learn dis sax easily.
Re: A Thread For Instrumentalists & Choristers by Nobody: 10:54am On Apr 23, 2013
Hidorano: pls can u just tel me anyfin or word of advice on how i can learn dis sax easily.
see i don't usually advice people to learn solo instrument right off the bat. you got to get a grip on the rudiments of music first and that is only possible if you try to learn either the piano or the guitar or any other chord instruments. most successful solo instrumentalists like me actually started with a chord instrument. if you start with a solo instrument you will end up being frustrated .imagine trying to enroll for an engineering degree without a "f" grade in maths and physics. these are my thoughts ooooo.
Re: A Thread For Instrumentalists & Choristers by rastarman(m): 12:13am On Apr 24, 2013
for me o. am a good tenor singer. with good knowledge of music. i play the recorder,mouth organ,very very good in acoustic guitar, then can play Konga drum. and the Yoruba traditional Iya Ilu. knowledge of Tambourine. all i ll advise is. Never Joke with the theories of music else u go play just one style till u go die and will never improve. 08062457642.
Re: A Thread For Instrumentalists & Choristers by jayriginal: 6:03pm On Apr 28, 2013
Guitarlife: see i don't usually advice people to learn solo instrument right off the bat. you got to get a grip on the rudiments of music first and that is only possible if you try to learn either the piano or the guitar or any other chord instruments. most successful solo instrumentalists like me actually started with a chord instrument. if you start with a solo instrument you will end up being frustrated .imagine trying to enroll for an engineering degree without a "f" grade in maths and physics. these are my thoughts ooooo.

While I understand your point, I disagree with you.

I dont see why I should learn the guitar first when what I really want to play is the sax. I do agree though that people who learn the piano first find it easier to pick up other instruments. Keep in mind also that most people take music as a hobby.
Its rewarding to be able to play an instrument but the learning curve can be a bit steep (depending on the enthusiasm), so each person to his preferred instrument.
Re: A Thread For Instrumentalists & Choristers by whytnblack: 10:30am On Apr 29, 2013
Popowaa: I play the piano but i'm still learning to be more than perfect.
I like dat. Do you play for any church or band?
Re: A Thread For Instrumentalists & Choristers by whytnblack: 11:34am On Apr 29, 2013
JeSoul: Nice!

I no be choir-member sha but I'm a musician and used to do a lot of gigs...I play guitar, mostly acoustic. I'm learning Lead guitar now and enjoying the progress smiley...
I'd love to hear tips on developing Lead skills for guitar players...
If you are in Lagos I can work more gigs for you.
Re: A Thread For Instrumentalists & Choristers by JeSoul(f): 3:14pm On Apr 29, 2013
whytnblack: If you are in Lagos I can work more gigs for you.
Uncle thank you but I dey far far away from lasgidi.
Re: A Thread For Instrumentalists & Choristers by Nobody: 4:12pm On Apr 29, 2013
Make una just dey arrange una sef, when I ready marry, una go do live band for me.. cool

I used to play the violin. I have always loved the keyboard though, lots of gospel jazz and piano jazz on my system. I've never really made out time to learn..
Re: A Thread For Instrumentalists & Choristers by Harshewarjuh(m): 7:47am On Oct 30, 2013
Hello Guys, am timmy..... ℓ sing, play drums(dats my 1st Love), and am learning the lead guitar........... Its painful my guitar tutor is in ekiti whr ℓ skul due 2 ASUU strike av nt been able 2 go further. Any one here who can render help 2 me?
Re: A Thread For Instrumentalists & Choristers by Nobody: 8:07am On Oct 30, 2013
I have been looking for this for long;
I sing in church and i made sure itz strictly churches.

I love highpraise....my aim is to join redeemed Praise team and i have really been preparing for that,My dream is to lead heavenly choir at the end of our stay on earth and i ave really been trainin myself 4 dat...
I can play the piano but still need serious improvement
Re: A Thread For Instrumentalists & Choristers by Nobody: 9:39am On Oct 30, 2013
Hmmmm
Re: A Thread For Instrumentalists & Choristers by Nobody: 9:44am On Oct 30, 2013
Elantracey: Hmmmm
y d hmmmmmmm
Re: A Thread For Instrumentalists & Choristers by ARareGem(f): 10:01am On Oct 30, 2013
Interesting.. cheesy
Love music. Just the other day, my Pman was saying I should have studied Music. grin I sing. I would love to learn how to play the peeyano. There's been countless opportunities to learn sha, but something/someone always comes up. sad
Re: A Thread For Instrumentalists & Choristers by jayriginal: 10:05am On Oct 30, 2013
Harshewarjuh: Hello Guys, am timmy..... ℓ sing, play drums(dats my 1st Love), and am learning the lead guitar........... Its painful my guitar tutor is in ekiti whr ℓ skul due 2 ASUU strike av nt been able 2 go further. Any one here who can render help 2 me?

In my opinion, you dont really need a tutor. You can do it yourself.

Where do you play your drums? In church? If so, is there no guitarist in your church who can put you through?

Now back to the part where you can do it yourself. There are lots of free tutorials (and paid ones if you are interested). I dont know how you are being tutored, each person has his own style but in my opinion some styles are just wrong. Some people just show you what to play without explaining certain principles. I think this makes for a rather mechanical and limited musician.

I would advice that you start by learning basic music theory. Nothing too complicated. You dont need to learn how to play standard music notation but you should have an idea of it. Learn guitar tabulature, its very easy. Learn about scales and how to construct chords from scales. Learn about the circle of fourths and fifths and their application. I think with that background, you are good to go.

The advantage this knowledge gives you is that after you have imbibed this learning, it helps you branch out on your own. You can be creative and even violate some of the rules tastefully. It also gives you the background to assimilate new music theory you may come across.

Dont make the mistake that most beginners make and start looking for a book with thousands of chords. Most of the chords are based on the CAGED system or a variant. Also, there are some things that should be crammed initially. An example will be the intervals relating to a string.

I hope the information has not been overwhelming.

Oh, one more thing. You should get a guitar if you dont already have one.
Re: A Thread For Instrumentalists & Choristers by Nobody: 11:35am On Oct 30, 2013
Divepen:
y d hmmmmmmm
dis ASUU strike interrupted ma keyboard lesson
Re: A Thread For Instrumentalists & Choristers by gameboi: 11:28pm On Jul 21, 2014
I've been playing the keyboard for 8 years, drums for 10yrs, bass guitar for 3years. I know it's not enough experience compared to what others here have but I believe I can compete with the best keyboardists if there are any
Re: A Thread For Instrumentalists & Choristers by whytnblack: 7:18am On Jul 28, 2014
gameboi: I've been playing the keyboard for 8 years, drums for 10yrs, bass guitar for 3years. I know it's not enough experience compared to what others here have but I believe I can compete with the best keyboardists if there are any

please What is ur name? And where are you based? Can I have ur number pls.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How Can Jesus Be GOD Almighty In The Light Of The Following Verses? / Love Is Sweeter Than Power / Atheists Based In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.