Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,501 members, 7,819,818 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:48 AM

Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! - Politics (37) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! (71255 Views)

Famous Quotes Of Prof Chinua Achebe / Blame Jonathan For Nigeria's Woes - Obasanjo...says Achebe Is Living In The Past / Chinua Achebe Is Ignorant Of The Situation In Nigeria - GEJ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by Ivynwa(f): 1:27am On Mar 23, 2013
biolabee:

Who wrote what. sorry i dont get ur question

The great poem, my brother.

1 Like

Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by Nobody: 1:29am On Mar 23, 2013
biolabee:
your opinion... i need to buy that book sef and read it

aside from free education, some roads what else did OJA and SLA really do for this country
They all had a chance to lay a good foundation and used selfishness to spoil it
Wild Wild west,penekelemes etc

Go and find out how much land was appropriated by Awoists in the western region.. you go know

Abegi this man is great and nothing can diminish that

Bro, please don't derail the thread...

Check my siggy, the man you're trying to denigrate was an Ijebu man - and we Ijebus always ride for one another... wink
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by biolabee(m): 1:37am On Mar 23, 2013
shymexx:

Bro, please don't derail the thread...

Check my siggy, the man you're trying to denigrate was an Ijebu man - and we Ijebus always ride for one another... wink

sorry for derailing , the fact is a lot of us were fed some stories about OJA from childhood but well....

Ivynwa:

The great poem, my brother.

i wrote it ma.. its not really a poem but my collection of poignant parts in his greatest work - Things Fall Apart
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by dayokanu(m): 1:39am On Mar 23, 2013
biolabee:

your opinion... i need to buy that book sef and read it

aside from free education, some roads what else did OJA and SLA really do for this country
They all had a chance to lay a good foundation and used selfishness to spoil it
Wild Wild west,penekelemes etc

Go and find out how much land was appropriated by Awoists in the western region.. you go know

Abegi this man is great and nothing can diminish that

Cocoa house
First stadium
First television station
Obafemi Awolowo University
The best run civil service
A legacy that all Yorubas are proud of even till today something that can't be said of some of their contemporary

2 Likes

Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by emmydsife(m): 1:40am On Mar 23, 2013
Chiidi: wtf... It had better be a joke... Or is today april 1st?? No man, dat's my mentor u talkin bout.

if he is your mentor,nairaland should not be where to knw that he is dead...
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by Ivynwa(f): 1:45am On Mar 23, 2013
biolabee:

i wrote it ma.. its not really a poem but my collection of poignant parts in his greatest work - Things Fall Apart

You mean that you wrote this----

I remember the vanquishing of Amalinze the Cat
I remember the hunt for the source of the ogbanje in Ezinne
I remember i cried when Ikemefuna was killed and Okonkwo the man with a spring in his step had to be exiled

I remember he looked on his mother's family with disdain though they accommodated him
I remember that when a boy washes his hands, he can eat with the elders
I remember the tale of the bird that learnt to fly without landing as men have learned to shoot without missing

I remember the irreversible progress of colonialism and subsequent loss of our traditional values
I remember Okonko's first son dropping his name for Isaac
I remenber Okonkwo leaving in shame for the world he lost

Things fall apart and the centre cannot hold
Mere anarchy is loose on the land

Live forever, great pensman.. You did your part

If you are the writer.

It's a good work, you brought the fiction in Achebe's book to life for the second time after Achebe first made them come alive with words.

1 Like

Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by biolabee(m): 1:47am On Mar 23, 2013
Ivynwa:

You mean that you wrote this----

If you are the writer.

It's a good work, you brought the fiction in Achebe's book to life for the second time after Achebe first made them come alive with words.

Thanks ma.. i love that book, ditto Man of the People, Arrow of God
He made me yearn for the pre-colonial days
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by biolabee(m): 1:49am On Mar 23, 2013
dayokanu:

Cocoa house
First stadium
First television station
Obafemi Awolowo University
The best run civil service
A legacy that all Yorubas are proud of even till today something that can't be said of some of their contemporary

dayo i feel you.... but OJA was not a saint
But lets not derail this thread that is dedicated to a literary luminary whose works will stand the test of time
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by Ivynwa(f): 1:55am On Mar 23, 2013
biolabee:

Thanks ma.. i love that book, ditto Man of the People, Arrow of God
He made me yearn for the pre-colonial days

We indeed lost a gem, my brother.

1 Like

Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by Nobody: 1:55am On Mar 23, 2013
biolabee:

sorry for derailing , the fact is a lot of us were fed some stories about OJA from childhood but well....

Alright bro, we need to get back to "judging" these women.. grin

I see you're a novel-head - I'll like to know your opinions on this thread: https://www.nairaland.com/1233918/nigerias-next-nobel-laureate-literature
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by biolabee(m): 1:59am On Mar 23, 2013
shymexx:

Alright bro, we need to get back to "judging" these women.. grin

I see you're a novel-head - I'll like to know your opinions on this thread: https://www.nairaland.com/1233918/nigerias-next-nobel-laureate-literature

I try small, Woles books too have an element of the old days in Ibadan but I loved the Prof's narrative of the days before the white man infeted Africa with their civilisation - one that threatens our survival as a species on this earth

On the judging of the women, my integrity has been impugned by allegations of attraction to one of the rabid posters on that thread so i am on the DL now grin

Ivynwa:

We indeed lost a gem, my brother.

May he rest in perfect peace and may I be granted the favor to say my life touched a fraction of those he touched
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by Nobody: 2:11am On Mar 23, 2013
Page 36
Wow
Wow
Wow
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by Nobody: 2:13am On Mar 23, 2013
biolabee:
I try small, Woles books too have an element of the old days in Ibadan but I loved the Prof's narrative of the days before the white man infeted Africa with their civilisation - one that threatens our survival as a species on this earth

On the judging of the women, my integrity has been impugned by allegations of attraction to one of the rabid posters on that thread so i am on the DL now grin

Fixed @the bolded... grin Just messing about... grin

That's how women are, once you engage them, they start getting attracted to you... Women love strong men who can put it down lol... Bro, you need to take her on a long strip and do your thing...#LowestKey grin

I'm not really into both Wole Sotinka and Chinua Achebe's books, to be honest... Probably, read a few books from the both of them - and a few other books by other Nigerian literary giants like: Chimamanda and Okri... Not really a fan of fiction - I prefer books that deals African history with archaeological evidence(s)...

I'm kind of Afrocentric and my scholarship deals with pre-colonial books - but most Nigerian writers are post-colonial writers..
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by biolabee(m): 2:18am On Mar 23, 2013
shymexx:

Fixed @the bolded... grin Just messing about... grin

That's how women are, once you engage them, they start getting attracted to you... Women love strong men who can put it down lol... Bro, you need to take her on a long strip and do your thing...#LowestKey grin

I'm not really into both Wole Sotinka and Chinua Achebe's books, to be honest... Probably, read a few books from the both of them - and a few other books by other Nigerian literary giants like: Chimamanda and Okri... Not really a fan of fiction - I prefer books that deals African history with archaeological evidence(s)...

I'm kind of Afrocentric and my scholarship deals pre-colonial books - but most Nigerian writers are post-colonial writers..

Abegi o.. e jooo Owo mi mo cheesy grin cool grin
My hands are clean o as Oga @the top has not approved such moves for me

On african writers, it seems they are ashamed of our history
Achebe's great trilogy of books covered from pre - colonial to around independence
Also helped with a bit of history of naija

Maybe one writer will rise and see this niche

The probem is that we are losing out culture and there is a disconnect between the old days and now
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by Roland17(m): 2:24am On Mar 23, 2013
Albert Chinualumogu Achebe, the greatest Writer Africa has ever produced!!!! like it or hate it!!!!

1 Like

Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by biolabee(m): 2:26am On Mar 23, 2013
Roland17: Albert Chinualumogu Achebe, the greatest Writer Africa has ever produced!!!! like it or hate it!!!!

I believe he was one of the best from Africa.. dont unnecessarily let arguments spoil the honor due this great man
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by Roland17(m): 2:29am On Mar 23, 2013
biolabee:

I believe he was one of the best from Africa.. dont unnecessarily let arguments spoil the honor due this great man

Nna!!! i am not seeking consensus from anyone...this is an opinion i am entitled to, that i why i used "I BELIEVE"
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by Nobody: 2:30am On Mar 23, 2013
biolabee:
Abegi o.. e jooo Owo mi mo cheesy grin cool grin
My hands are clean o as Oga @the top has not approved such moves for me

On african writers, it seems they are ashamed of our history
Achebe's great trilogy of books covered from pre - colonial to around independence
Also helped with a bit of history of naija

Maybe one writer will rise and see this niche

The probem is that we are losing out culture and there is a disconnect between the old days and now

Bwahahahahahaha - your hands are clean till she comes to your house with a baby... Don't worry, I'll ask the "oga at the top" and let you know if he wants you to proceed with the adventurism or not...

I honestly don't think most of them are ashamed of our history, they're just either lazy, or don't think the public wants to know about our pre-colonial days... Cash rules everything and how many Africans want to buy a book that talks about the achievements or lack thereof of their ancestors We've all been brainwashed to believe life started when the first white man came to Africa - telling them otherwise would you seem disconnected from their own reality...

Most of them people who tried that in the past died wretched and broke... grin However, the few of us who appreciate the time they dedicated to giving us those wonderful stories of the old Africa will never forget about their sacrifice(s)..
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by biolabee(m): 2:31am On Mar 23, 2013
Roland17:

Nne!!! i am not seeking consensus from anyone...this is an opinion i am entitled to, that i why i used "I BELIEVE"

ok.. i did not see believe but no wahala.. you've qualified your statement and its not about consensus but to ensure arguments don't sully this special thread
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by Nobody: 2:35am On Mar 23, 2013
biolabee:

Opinions are like ar.seholes, everyone is entitled to one... I believe the Senegalese people would also say the same about Chiekh Anta Diop... and Yoruba people believe Wole Soyinka is the greatest black writer ever... You don't need to argue it, just let it slide... At the end of the day, their body of work, their awards, and how their works stand the test of time will judge who the best is when it's all said and done...

At least Cheikh Anta Diop gave black people a Bible with scientific and archeological evidence(s) that'll continue to be cited everywhere till "Jesus" comes back..

2 Likes

Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by biolabee(m): 2:36am On Mar 23, 2013
shymexx:

Bwahahahahahaha - your hands are clean till she comes to your house with a baby... Don't worry, I'll ask the "oga at the top" and let you know if he wants you to proceed with the adventurism or not...

I honestly don't think most of them are ashamed of our history, they're just either lazy, or don't think the public wants to know about our pre-colonial days... Cash rules everything and how many Africans want to buy a book that talks about the achievements or lack thereof of their ancestors We've all been brainwashed to believe life started when the first white man came to Africa - telling them otherwise would you seem disconnected from their own reality...

Most of them people who tried that in the past died wretched and broke... grin However, the few of us who appreciate the time they dedicated to giving us those wonderful stories of the old Africa will never forget about their sacrifice(s)..

One crazy book i read was Palm Wine Drinkard
Do you remember Cyprian Ekwensi, he covered that era also.....

you are right,,money rules but interestingly most best selling books worldwide cover a pre historical/fantasy theme

Twilight - though modern heavy inspiration from Bram Stoker's Dracula - lovely book
Harry Potter - witches
The Ring books - Tolkien a time the earth was pure
50 shades - D H Lawrence...
Hunger Games - gladiatorial challenges

There is a market for it
I can imagine the coming generation will question us why we never helped them put roots
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by biolabee(m): 2:37am On Mar 23, 2013
shymexx:

Opinions are like ar.seholes, everyone is entitled to one... I believe the Senegalese people would also say the same about Chiekh Anta Diop... and Yoruba people believe Wole Soyinka is the greatest black writer ever... You don't need to argue it, just let it slide... At the end of the day, their body of work, their awards, and how their works stand the test of time will judge who the best is when it's all said and done...

True that.....
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by Onlytruth(m): 2:46am On Mar 23, 2013
We mourn a great man of letters! A genius of generational proportions. We are blessed to have known you in life and in death Nze Chinualumogu.
We are proud to call you fellow countryman. We are even prouder to call you fellow Igbo!
You chiseled our story in the most stable of African basement complex rocks!
Generations will invoke your rare incorruptibility and wise paths.
Literature in Africa will never be the same because of you!

Rest in peace okeosisi! cry

Signed,

Onlytruth, Ndu di n'eziokwu 1 of Igboland, Eze Ndigbo III Nairaland. cool cool cool

5 Likes

Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by Nobody: 2:47am On Mar 23, 2013
biolabee:
One crazy book i read was Palm Wine Drinkard
Do you remember Cyprian Ekwensi, he covered that era also.....

you are right,,money rules but interestingly most best selling books worldwide cover a pre historical/fantasy theme

Twilight - though modern heavy inspiration from Bram Stoker's Dracula - lovely book
Harry Potter - witches
The Ring books - Tolkien a time the earth was pure
50 shades - D H Lawrence...
Hunger Games - gladiatorial challenges

There is a market for it
I can imagine the coming generation will question us why we never helped them put roots

The books you listed focused on European history - no one wants to hear about African history... Most people of other races in the West have never heard about some of our revered writers... You may check the GuardianUK about the page dedicated to Chinua Achebe's death in the CIF section... it has only 19 comments and most of the people who posted comments there are Africans... Heck, a redneck also posted an ignorant comment on there, but thank God Daniel Waweru was there to call him out for his stupidity...

I honestly don't think there's a market out there for it...
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by Ivynwa(f): 2:47am On Mar 23, 2013
Nwanne mmadu Anaaaa!(Our brother has goooone)
Ife melu!

2 Likes

Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by untainted: 2:55am On Mar 23, 2013
A great man gone, but his great works will live forever!
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by Roland17(m): 3:03am On Mar 23, 2013

2 Likes

Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by birdman(m): 3:08am On Mar 23, 2013
Desola: Eyin omo oodua, e Jebure, e jo.

A ki foro ya oro.

Lets respect the dead, e jo.

Beautifully said. We are Africans after all, and there is another time and place for arguments. RIP Achebe. God give his family strength to cope with the monumental void he has left.
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by EkoIle1: 3:15am On Mar 23, 2013
Roland17: Albert Chinualumogu Achebe Wole Soyinka, the greatest Writer Africa has ever produced!!!! like it or hate it!!!!

ashebe ain't got the ultimate prize aka The Nobel.
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by biolabee(m): 3:20am On Mar 23, 2013
shymexx:

The books you listed focused on European history - no one wants to hear about African history... Most people of other races in the West have never heard about some of our revered writers... You may check the GuardianUK about the page dedicated to Chinua Achebe's death in the CIF section... it has only 19 comments and most of the people who posted comments there are Africans... Heck, a redneck also posted an ignorant comment on there, but thank God Daniel Waweru was there to call him out for his stupidity...

I honestly don't think there's a market out there for it...

I know brah.. just saying that these are successful books and they dwell from a time of yore..
if we in Africa can tap into our roots, we could have some good stuff
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by odumchi: 3:42am On Mar 23, 2013
Mazi Achebe, the great tree that marks the forest, rest peacefully and quietly in the bosom of the Lord.
Re: Prof Chinua Achebe Is Dead! by Nobody: 3:55am On Mar 23, 2013
Ka o di ba nu

(1) (2) (3) ... (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (Reply)

Where Is Tam David-West? Nigeria Needs Him Now To Defend Himself! (pics) / Votes Spread: Tinubu, Atiku Neck And Neck As Obi Trails / Kazaure Gudaji Amazed At Dino Melaye's Car During Visit (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.