Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,604 members, 7,827,272 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 09:58 AM

5 Months Salary Owed. What Should I Do? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 5 Months Salary Owed. What Should I Do? (5638 Views)

What Percentage Of Your Salary Should Be Allotted To Accommodation? / The Hard Truth About Your Salary / Benue Civil Servants Shun Offices Over Six Months Salary Arrears (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Months Salary Owed. What Should I Do? by goldenray(m): 10:01am On Mar 31, 2008
Hi. What would you do if your company is owing you five months salary plus leave allowance (since november 2007) and not saying anything about it? We are all suffering in silence as staff. Do you think its better to quit(without prospect of any job in sight) or to remain with the company(in blind faith that all will be well). Pl advice
Re: 5 Months Salary Owed. What Should I Do? by archbishop(m): 6:53pm On Apr 02, 2008
Get a life my friend and quit. This would give you opportunity to check out other jobs.

Come on boy, how do you manage? Sorry for your ass. Thank jah still.
Re: 5 Months Salary Owed. What Should I Do? by bigfather(m): 12:10pm On Apr 04, 2008
You better hasten up with your resignation letter .
Re: 5 Months Salary Owed. What Should I Do? by dee02(m): 2:26pm On Apr 04, 2008
my guy we don pass slave era now haba!
you guys must be mugu-licious for working up to five months without pay!!
start picking/grabbing the company's properties to sell one by one till your salary is complete and run for your dear life!!!
Re: 5 Months Salary Owed. What Should I Do? by akara(m): 2:27pm On Apr 04, 2008
, and how have you managed these 5 months. Does your boss really expect you to come to work.
Me thinks they sent out sack letters 6 months ago but it just never got delivered.
Re: 5 Months Salary Owed. What Should I Do? by blackmann(m): 2:49pm On Apr 04, 2008
Dust ur arse and go look for another job man. What have u been living on since? Garri?
Re: 5 Months Salary Owed. What Should I Do? by Toonice(m): 2:50pm On Apr 04, 2008
what type of job did u do there? are u getting profit or u are losing or is it OGO TA OGO TA u know what i mean, let me know all this b/4 my own advice
Re: 5 Months Salary Owed. What Should I Do? by JUNE12(m): 3:02pm On Apr 04, 2008
We need to ask questions before passing all those comments.
Is the business making money ?
is the business being owed ?
What job is the poster doing ?
Is the poster related to the business owner ?
There are few jobs in the land,so it is advisable  one looks at the prospects before quiting.
My  sister stayed with a company for 2 years with little or no salary before hitting it big with an oil service company using the experience  she got from " the job no pay".
If the job is giving you experience , hang on.
I know a big company quoted on the NSE that started about 1996. A friend of mine was their first staff. He left when the going was getting tougher. Now the company is hitting it big .
Re: 5 Months Salary Owed. What Should I Do? by Nobody: 3:15pm On Apr 04, 2008
been there done that

leave. ideally after you get another job. do not expect any nice reviews from your employer, though. its proabaly the typical one man business where a guy with great technical/professional skills decides to start a company. unfortunately being a techie or good at what you do does not translate into being a sound businessman. even worse, you can be sure the family of the employer is not going without. if they are like the typical nigerians they are living it up.

dont belive any of that ish about when things get better. all that willl happen is oga's lifestyle will be upgraded, after that it will be business as usual. an employer that does not respect or value his staff enough to enable them to lead responsible lives should not be put up with, no matter how much invaluable ' experience' one is picking from him. ONE SHOULD NEVER LIVE ON THE CREDO - THINGS WILL GET BETTER so i will manage.

in the company i left two guys fell out with their long time girlfriends. the ladies could not understand how the guys could be constantly working( and i mean constantly) and always broke.

i'm sure in addition to all this, you are expected to do some menial/demeaning jobs too( drive the boss' wife 2 d airport if the driver is sick, that sort of thing)

good luck.
Re: 5 Months Salary Owed. What Should I Do? by furlee(m): 3:53pm On Apr 04, 2008
I have been in this kind of situation before though just three Months, that was as far back as 2002. I was working then in Ikoyi and living in Olorunsogo Street in Mushin. At the end the third month I made a decision to leave and took some steps coupled with prayer. That decision today I have not regretted.

Neither feel sad nor pity yourself just discover the potential in you and move ahead. Resign.

These are my little advise for you

1. What can you profitably do as a person? I am not asking of the course you study but what you can personally do. I studied Computer Science and when I decided to leave the office owing me, I prepared myself to contact people to train them on Computers and Office Applications. That was where I started after resigning from the office. I realized amount greater than my salary in the first month after resigning.

2. Be aggressive to discover your potentials, market these potentials first to your immediate surroundings and when people know what you can do they will contact you. when I was about to leave the company owing me I bought a second hand computer and focused on programming, my focus that time paid off, I got a contract work with an organization that started me off in life.

3. Do not be discouraged in the face of difficult challenges. It is not always easy sfter resigning but you must know you have gained one thing, your freedom. Freedom to search for other jobs and discover the best in you.

4. Think of a business with small capital that you can do. With =N= 5,000 you can start a Recharge Card selling business, Tell your friends, your Church/Mosque members you are selling recharge cards AND DO NOT SELL IN CREDIT. With small beginning God will lift you up in life.

5. This is dry season, have you though of a business that deals with Cold Items, Pure Water, Minerals etc. Don't let your certificates make you too big for these little works. start Something.

6. Be a man of prayer, commit your way into the hand of the Lord to guide you.

Remember, You have a future that can only be restricted by one person ------ YOU.

I pray for you that God, who took my life from that prison call job in Ikoyi in Lagos now to fulfilment will settle you, soonest. (Amen)
Re: 5 Months Salary Owed. What Should I Do? by BTT(m): 4:19pm On Apr 04, 2008
Abduct your MD's youngest child. Go and learn au those NigerDelta boys dey do am.

Ol Boy things dey happen o. . .
Re: 5 Months Salary Owed. What Should I Do? by goldenray(m): 4:23pm On Apr 04, 2008
@all,
Thnx for the comments and advice
Am really worried cos its kinda a very tough decision to make.

The company has prospects i think. but they are doing real bad now. previous salaries have been via loans. now loans have stopped coming in.

Very scary especially if you have given over two years to a company.
Re: 5 Months Salary Owed. What Should I Do? by DoubleN(m): 4:35pm On Apr 04, 2008
My Advice is for you to either report to the Labor Union or find yourself a Lawyer and Sue!This way you don't loose both ways even if you intend to leave the company.
Re: 5 Months Salary Owed. What Should I Do? by furlee(m): 4:41pm On Apr 04, 2008
As much as a company has prospects, your future is not tied to a particular company. If previous payments have been through loan then the situation might get worse than present.

From your posting it seems you harbor internal fear about the future. Those who succeed in life face the future with optimisms and dare to get involve in new things.

Discover yourself first.

As a graduate when things were so hard for me years back, I want thinking of going into printing business or photography just not to be idle. Till moment, there is no idle period, I try to maximize the usage of every available time to me.

Ponder on these two questions

1. Apart from this job, what can you do as a person?
2. If this company folds up today or I am sacked by this company How do I survive?

Your honest answer to these questions will open your eyes to hidden potentials within you.

No matter what anyone say, the decision (and consequences afterwards) is purely YOURS and YOURS alone.
Re: 5 Months Salary Owed. What Should I Do? by enque(f): 4:46pm On Apr 04, 2008
if they can owe u 4 5months wit other benefits inclusive, whats d probability that they'll ever pay u. well, it's up to you to take d best decision. good luck
Re: 5 Months Salary Owed. What Should I Do? by spikedcylinder: 4:48pm On Apr 04, 2008
If you' ve been surviving without pay these past few months, you might as well continue without spending the little money and your energy putting in to a job that has nothing for you. Quit.
Re: 5 Months Salary Owed. What Should I Do? by begood1: 5:05pm On Apr 04, 2008
@poster
I advice that u remain there only if you do get another source of income there apart from your salary.
Whenever, the pay comes, it will be a lumpsum amount
moreover, getting a job is not easy in nigeria today as everyone here is suggesting quit.
my2kobos
Re: 5 Months Salary Owed. What Should I Do? by UNLEASHED(m): 5:44pm On Apr 04, 2008
And you de here de complain??
Re: 5 Months Salary Owed. What Should I Do? by omega25red(m): 6:15pm On Apr 04, 2008
What you need to do is gather evidence about your work and lack of pay. Then file a lawsuit and find another job that is willing to pay you.

What exactly is going on with the job are they in transition? or did their contractors not pay them before the November issue have they paid you on time. Give the full story before you let people talk you into quitting a good job (myself included)
Re: 5 Months Salary Owed. What Should I Do? by CrazyMan(m): 6:17pm On Apr 04, 2008
Quit your job; Become a pastor begin your own ministry so you can preach the word of God. Am sure your congregation would ensure you get your due payment.
Re: 5 Months Salary Owed. What Should I Do? by PurestBoy(m): 6:26pm On Apr 04, 2008
crazykid:

Quit your job; Become a pastor begin your own ministry so you can preach the word of God. Am sure your congregation would ensure you get your due payment.

You're really crazy for suggesting such ideal. Why taking the church of God as a replacement for joblessness?
Re: 5 Months Salary Owed. What Should I Do? by topkin(m): 6:35pm On Apr 04, 2008
My candid advice: Resign. It will give u room to tenaciously search for another job. Good luck
Re: 5 Months Salary Owed. What Should I Do? by Scopium: 6:55pm On Apr 04, 2008
[size=13pt]If you've been able to survive 5 months without salary working, I think you can also survive a few jobless months looking for a new job. Resign as this will give you all the time to look inward deeply and hunt for job with precision and trust me, you'll get it. Good luck[/size]
Re: 5 Months Salary Owed. What Should I Do? by CrazyMan(m): 7:10pm On Apr 04, 2008
PurestBoy:

You're really crazy for suggesting such ideal. Why taking the church of God as a replacement for joblessness?
Get serious, how many pastors in the ministry are after the growth of the word of God?

The rate churches spring up here and there even the dead would know that something is at the back of these peoples minds.
Re: 5 Months Salary Owed. What Should I Do? by Frizy(m): 9:33pm On Apr 04, 2008
Quite the job and find a better one. Preferably a government owned job. They can't delay your salary that long there, remember that this is not Abacha's regime na democracy. If the government dares you guys only have to protest/strike, believe me they will call you begging.
Re: 5 Months Salary Owed. What Should I Do? by Nobody: 11:38pm On Apr 04, 2008
this is so sad

@ the poster,like many have said,I think you should turn in your office keys and wave them a final goodbye.
What nonsense!

For 5 months,you wake up daily,take a bath,eat, probably hop on a couple of molues and arrive at a dead end job dressed in shirt ant tie and at the end of the month,they tell you God bless.
How are you feeding and clothing yourself if I may ask.
You probably live with your parents
You need to quit that job immediately so you can focus and regroup.
You are being used and abused,wake up man.
Re: 5 Months Salary Owed. What Should I Do? by BlackMamba(m): 2:23am On Apr 05, 2008
I marvel when I read stories like this, which is not strange in Naija. The only reason you can work more than a month without pay is that you have no responsibility and fully dependent. Or like most people in Naija, "just hustling". Whatever that means.
Re: 5 Months Salary Owed. What Should I Do? by ayettymama(f): 4:42am On Apr 05, 2008
I agree with whoever said you should sell the companies equipment!!! Well it even happens here in the UK when employers even big companies dont pay thier staff and then they close down and the staff end up jobless, its best you steal what you can so that when the company closes you have your money!!
Re: 5 Months Salary Owed. What Should I Do? by tpia: 6:48am On Apr 05, 2008
na wa o.

I guess you're hanging on at that company because the salary is good, whenever they actually get around to paying it.

In that case, why not try looking for a second job while you wait to see if your employer will pay up the arrears. Not sure how easy it is, but a problem might be: if you quit without getting paid, what are the chances you'll ever receive that money. As they say, out of sight is out of mind.

Of course I dont know the exact situation or outcome of whatever you decide to do but just contributing my two cents. undecided
Re: 5 Months Salary Owed. What Should I Do? by kemisuga(f): 4:37pm On Apr 05, 2008
@ Poster, Eh Yah

I am also experiencing the same too at work, but mine is just for 2 months now. I am just applying to every applications that comes my way.

I wish you all the best Bros.
Re: 5 Months Salary Owed. What Should I Do? by almondjoy(f): 6:51pm On Apr 05, 2008
Na wah ooooooooooooh! Meanwhile politicians are awarding themselves all kinds of allowances and bonuses in Nigeria. Thank God for America.

Some problems really do not have solutions. Notably, Nigerian problems!

@poster

Nothing to reply you please. I don't know how you are surviving!

Goodluck! kiss

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
Re: 5 Months Salary Owed. What Should I Do? by robby1(m): 11:30pm On Apr 05, 2008
Why not complain instead of dieing in silence?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerian Bank Employee Grades / NNPC Recruitment 2019 | Apply Now –www.nnpcgroup.com / Ivvie Should An Electrical Engineer Know How To wire his House?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.