Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,109 members, 7,814,892 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:15 PM

Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him - Literature (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him (61751 Views)

Wole Soyinka: "InterInventions", My New Book Will Draw Blood / Wole Soyinka Receiving The Nobel Prize In 1986 (picture) / Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by denzel2009: 7:40am On Mar 31, 2013
funkybaby: @ iyaniwura

well done! very interesting write up. smiley

i have learnt so many new things about wole soyinka.

i honestly never knew he was an ijebu man cheesy

Really? where did you think? and please don't kill him yet!
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by Orikinla(m): 6:24pm On Mar 31, 2013
bodee:
I can smell one of the following things here: jealousy/envy/hatred/sentiment and probabely ignorance.

SOYINKA IS MY NUMBER 1 AFRICAN INSPIRATION IN LITERATURE, BUT THAT DOES NOT MEAN I WILL COME ON LINE TO POST LIES AND NOT FACTS.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by Orikinla(m): 6:26pm On Mar 31, 2013
Ìyániwúrà123: @Orikinla

1. LOL! When Ben Okri wins, he will join the league. For now, you are counting unhatched eggs. A million Black Nobelists may come, but WS remains the first. #Unarguable. #Trailblazer. And yes, he remains the first EVER. Good luck to your Ben.

2. No one is comparing him with South African dramatists. Links have been provided to Soyinka's plays across the globe, even as far as India. The comparison is a task you've given yourself.

3. The word used was PERHAPS. Check again. If there is any misinformation, you point it out and do not insult the generality of the people. That you are free to air your opinions does not confer upon you the liberty to call anyone olodo or ode. No one is an island of knowledge even if you call yourself an authority. cool You are still making comparison with Achebe. Again, that's a task you've assigned to yourself.

4. This post is not about John Coetzee, Nadine Gordimer, Tony Morrison or Naguib Marfouz, it is about WOLE SOYINKA. You also forgot to tell us that Coetzee is presently an Australian citizen and a white man as you made it sound like he was one black South African. This post is celebrating a BLACK AFRICAN PIONEER. And I believe you know what Francosphere is anyway wink

NB: The large font size was not needed. Seriously.

Thanks.

I USE LARGER FONTS WHEN TEACHING CHILDREN ABC. grin
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by Iyaniwura123: 8:11pm On Mar 31, 2013
Ok, I get that. Reminds me of my primary school teacher.
Orikinla:

I USE LARGER FONTS WHEN TEACHING CHILDREN ABC. grin

3 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by Nobody: 12:28am On Apr 01, 2013
Ìyániwúrà123: Ok, I get that. Reminds me of my primary school teacher.

Lol. The doofus won't see the witty sarcasm.

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by madridsta007(m): 7:28pm On Apr 02, 2013
Until we reduce everything to 'We and them' we will never rest, that's the problem with today youths. Kongi is busy making comments about the passage of a man he considers a literary icon, others are busy comparing him with Achebe. The awesome quartet made up of Christopher Okigbo.JP Clerk, Wole Soyinka and Achebe, never saw themselves as competitors, rather as messengers with a duty to use arts to influence the society,a great departure from the romanticism of arts.

Unfortunately, the youth who should know better from their exposure to the world, the technology age and globalization will blindly follow the ethnic 'agabyas' in the society whose thinking is steeped in local socio-political issues. The world is innovating we are knocking our heads over whose father has the biggest farm.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by lastpage: 12:33pm On Apr 16, 2013
shymexx:

@ the bolded - let 'em know, uncle...

Proud Ijebu boy - we gatts it up there and we're natural merchants!! grin

We put naija on the world map!!

Ijebu boy!! tongue

@funkybabe and Shymexx

Eewesoo, omo-alare!
Bon'tiri? Saa'ma pade noyin?

Ojude Oba 'mpe waa.

Happy days.

Lastpage!
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by iwaters(m): 11:33pm On Apr 16, 2013
this stuff is pure black coffee. it's worth some attention n publicity.
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by iwaters(m): 11:38pm On Apr 16, 2013
all artists are ever in an unspoken competition.
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by slap1(m): 9:55am On Apr 19, 2013
Yes. I remember Jude Dibia saying he sometimes reads to know his stand in competitions. . .kinda.
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by vyqtour(m): 12:43pm On Oct 28, 2014
smiley
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by Stephenaite: 7:47am On Jun 25, 2015
Wole Soyinka! an Epitome of Obscure dictions..full of sagacity....I know one day I also will become a Nobel laurel because I started writing right from infant

Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by Stephenaite: 7:51am On Jun 25, 2015
Stephenaite:
Wole Soyinka! an Epitome of Obscure dictions..full of sagacity....I know one day I also will become a Nobel laurel because I started writing right from infant
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by cyber5(m): 11:00pm On Dec 21, 2016
OP come forward, come forward The Lord is ready for you Put your hands on head and come forward I say the Lord is ready for you.

God Bless You

Say Amen

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Rhoda / Baba Olowo d Long Prick (a comedy Story For All My Niggars) / African Nerd

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.