Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,940 members, 7,824,956 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 09:47 PM

Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him - Literature (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him (61770 Views)

Wole Soyinka: "InterInventions", My New Book Will Draw Blood / Wole Soyinka Receiving The Nobel Prize In 1986 (picture) / Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by Nobody: 6:57am On Mar 28, 2013
excellentmomma:
Why is it paining u, lol!!!, did ur fada marry thrice too. Don't do dat to ur wife o, I repeat its not discipline.
You're suffering from Soyinkaphobia. Nto, nme!
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by Chynx(m): 6:57am On Mar 28, 2013
boldnbeautiful: )Ahoy my Lord!
Calm down! How many "Lords" do u have?
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by thelonestranger: 7:01am On Mar 28, 2013
lexy2lexy: Iyaniwura, thanks for the write up. Just wanted to correct you that the "Oso" in yoruba names has nothing to do with Wizards or Sorcerers. It means wealth, that is why yorubas often question people who become rich suddenly as "o se sho"

Wrong again. Names starting with So- Oso- Awo- Osanyin- are peculiar to Ijebu and Egba people and equivalent to names starting with Ifa- which are more related to Ijesa and Ekiti

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by Nobody: 7:03am On Mar 28, 2013
Chynx:
Call a spade "a spade",not an instrument of agriculture...ram!
So divorce is wrong, what do you do when your union with a woman, whether dating, courting or marriage, does no longer work? You need solution for your Soyinkaphobia

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by cfours: 7:04am On Mar 28, 2013
wow. One would think that he spends most of his time studying or in intellectual pursuits without knowing that he was living it up with women too. His current wife must be half his age. How many children does he have in total from all his numerous marriages?

okpara ugo: I never knew his hair was white.

LOL you must be living under a stone. cheesy
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by Nobody: 7:05am On Mar 28, 2013
thelonestranger:

Wrong again. Names starting with So- Oso- Awo- Osanyin- are peculiar to Ijebu and Egba people and equivalent to names starting with Ifa- which are more related to Ijesa and Ekiti
You can't be more catholic than the pope.
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by funkymedina: 7:08am On Mar 28, 2013
Nairaland dey take style plan Soyinka funeral abi wetin?? Soyinka here and there all of a sudden ..Please leave baba alone ooh. He still has many more years with us ..Amin!!
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by Nobody: 7:24am On Mar 28, 2013
This na another 2face grin.
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by luvmijeje(f): 7:25am On Mar 28, 2013
Wow! Truely a legend.
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by Nobody: 7:41am On Mar 28, 2013
Red-Light:
lmao u kidding? Are u a learner?

Lolzzz nairalanders and sentiments, bro let's face it, the only thing wole soyinka had on achebe was the nobel and there was a reason for that, wole soyinka was the perfect guy while achebe was a radical but the fact is this, achebe sold more books and was more popular in the international community, he was seen as an African ambassador thus earning him a place as the most influential African by forbes. Dude, the dead man had over 30 honarary degrees from various universities across the globe, the fact that christoph waltz has an oscar while tom cruise nd will smith do not have one, does not make him a better actor. There are many things involved. "How many soyinka books have you honestly read sef"
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by barnasbj: 7:45am On Mar 28, 2013
The write up is not complete. What of the relationship between iya wero and wole soyinka ? Let get the complete version pls.
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by madridsta007(m): 8:01am On Mar 28, 2013
njokusboy:

Lolzzz nairalanders and sentiments, bro let's face it, the only thing wole soyinka had on achebe was the nobel and there was a reason for that, wole soyinka was the perfect guy while achebe was a radical but the fact is this, achebe sold more books and was more popular in the international community, he was seen as an African ambassador thus earning him a place as the most influential African by forbes. Dude, the dead man had over 30 honarary degrees from various universities across the globe, the fact that christoph waltz has an oscar while tom cruise nd will smith do not have one, does not make him a better actor. There are many things involved. "How many soyinka books have you honestly read sef"

Over 40 honorary degrees..
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by Nobody: 8:07am On Mar 28, 2013
Richfella: This na another 2face grin.
Are we discussing azonto or alanta?
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by Nobody: 8:18am On Mar 28, 2013
njokusboy:

"Thing Fall Apart" aside, much may nat have been known about Achebe. You said Achebe was radical and Soyinka not. Where was the "radical" Achebe when his fellow writers in Africa were using their pen against colonialism and corruption in the newly independent African countries? If he was radical where was he when Soyinka (not a soldier) single handedly prevented SL Akintola men from announcing results of rigged election in the Radio House in Ibadan? Where was Achebe when Soyinka was detained all through the civil war? Just short your mouth and click "like" on any comment your like and stop posting comments to expose your shallow sense of reasoning.

6 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by naptu2: 8:26am On Mar 28, 2013

How do you compare a rock musician and a classical musician? People who keep trying to make these comparisons usually have no idea of what they are talking about. Wole Soyinka and Chinua Achebe were both great men and nothing that these children write on nairaland would ever diminish either of them.

Chinua Achebe was primarily a novelist. He wrote one of the greatest novels of all time "Things Fall Apart", which projected the African voice at a time of great racism (I still have my copy. I absolutely LOVE the simple style he adopted. It's very easy to read and extremely fascinating). He criticised Conrad's "Heart of Darkness" at a time when it was not politically correct to do so. Nothing that any of these children on nairaland write will ever diminish his greatness.

Wole Soyinka is primarily known as a play-write. He wrote "Death and The King's Horseman" an absolutely fascinating play about the clash of cultures that occurred when, by tradition, the king's horseman is expected to die and be buried with the king, but, according to british colonial law, suicide is illegal (I've misplaced my copy. I also enjoyed the BBC's radio play version). He also wrote the "Trials of Brother Jero", another fantastic play (misplaced my copy). My favourite Soyinka book is of course "The Interpreters", a rare novel from the celebrated playwrite. The silliness of some Nigerians who insist on pronouncing IBA-DON as IBA-DAN, the fake Nigerians who want to be more british than the british, the fake fruits in a land that's full of fruits, the insane sex scene (the runway and unbelievable poem at the point of climax) are simply AMAZING! And the autobiographies - "Ake-The Years of Childhood", "The Man Died-Prison Notes" and "You Must Set Forth At Dawn-Memoirs". He was of course, one of the pioneer winners of the BBC playwriting competition and a winner of the Nobel prize for literature. Nothing that these children write on nairaland will ever diminish his greatness.

Most of these children do not even know that Soyinka and Achebe were great friends and had great respect for each other.

7 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by newacca: 9:02am On Mar 28, 2013
I'm proud to be an Egba man:We gave him his primary education. He himself being an Ijegba(Half Ijebu,Half Egba)
I'm proud to be a Yoruba man.
I'm proud to be a Nigerian.
I'm proud to be an AFRIKAN!
smiley Oluwole Akinwande Soyinka is an Afrikan glory. smiley

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by freecocoa(f): 9:23am On Mar 28, 2013
Balkan: you are a blind lobber, you will never understand. Most guys in my days that joined did not know what they were joining . You can only say what you know
You didn't know what you were joining, you are excused on that part.

How about when you found out? And even after being rusticated you are still pledging allegiance to cultism forever, just how deep does the stup!dity run?

3 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by Esanyonmi(m): 9:25am On Mar 28, 2013
lexy2lexy: Iyaniwura, thanks for the write up. Just wanted to correct you that the "Oso" in yoruba names has nothing to do with Wizards or Sorcerers. It means wealth, that is why yorubas often question people who become rich suddenly as "o se sho"

Thanks for this, have been trying to no this for a while ago...o se sho,,,, money ritual. I am happy i got this today
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by Vavavoom(m): 9:27am On Mar 28, 2013
drnoel: Am eager to read Wole soyinka's memoirs whenever he sees fit to write it and maybe also his epistle of those troubled times and his view and the part he played at the pre and post civil war era.

Then go read: ''You Must Set Forth At Dawn. Wole is a patriotic Nigerian - words and deeds.
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by oyeladeomoniyi: 9:35am On Mar 28, 2013
Everybody has to believe in law of coma, You will and can only reap whatsoever you show
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by sylve11: 9:39am On Mar 28, 2013
freecocoa: You didn't know what you were joining, you are excused on that part.

How about when you found out? And even after being rusticated you are still pledging allegiance to cultism forever, just how deep does the stup!dity run?

Abeg free the confused lad. cool
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by Vavavoom(m): 9:39am On Mar 28, 2013
naptu2:

How do you compare a rock musician and a classical musician? People who keep trying to make these comparisons usually have no idea of what they are talking about. Wole Soyinka and Chinua Achebe were both great men and nothing that these children write on nairaland would ever diminish either of them.

Chinua Achebe was primarily a novelist. He wrote one of the greatest novels of all time "Things Fall Apart", which projected the African voice at a time of great racism (I still have my copy. I absolutely LOVE the simple style he adopted. It's very easy to read and extremely fascinating). He criticised Conrad's "Heart of Darkness" at a time when it was not politically correct to do so. Nothing that any of these children on nairaland write will ever diminish his greatness.

Wole Soyinka is primarily known as a play-write. He wrote "Death and The King's Horseman" an absolutely fascinating play about the clash of cultures that occurred when, by tradition, the king's horseman is expected to die and be buried with the king, but, according to british colonial law, suicide is illegal (I've misplaced my copy. I also enjoyed the BBC's radio play version). He also wrote the "Trials of Brother Jero", another fantastic play (misplaced my copy). My favourite Soyinka book is of course "The Interpreters", a rare novel from the celebrated playwrite. The silliness of some Nigerians who insist on pronouncing IBA-DON as IBA-DAN, the fake Nigerians who want to be more british than the british, the fake fruits in a land that's full of fruits, the insane sex scene (the runway and unbelievable poem at the point of climax) are simply AMAZING! And the autobiographies - "Ake-The Years of Childhood", "The Man Died-Prison Notes" and "You Must Set Forth At Dawn-Memoirs". He was of course, one of the pioneer winners of the BBC playwriting competition and a winner of the Nobel prize for literature. Nothing that these children write on nairaland will ever diminish his greatness.

Most of these children do not even know that Soyinka and Achebe were great friends and had great respect for each other.

On point Naptu2. It takes one who is well read to be enlightened. We can be a great nation if only we can see the strength in our diversity. Both men complimented each other, respect was mutual...both very traditionist-believers in the african tradition. Some comments from folks lend credence to the position that we may be witnesses of a dying breed - men who may never pass this way again.
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by Nobody: 9:40am On Mar 28, 2013
[quote author=Ola Johnson]
"Thing Fall Apart" aside, much may nat have been known about Achebe. You said Achebe was radical and Soyinka not. Where was the "radical" Achebe when his fellow writers in Africa were using their pen against colonialism and corruption in the newly independent African countries? If he was radical where was he when Soyinka (not a soldier) single handedly prevented SL Akintola men from announcing results of rigged election in the Radio House in Ibadan? Where was Achebe when Soyinka was detained all through the civil war? Just short your mouth and click "like" on any comment your like and stop posting comments to expose your shallow sense of reasoning. [/quo

wat is so ambiguous about wat I wrote and wat was so touchy about it that has made u loose ur mind and resort to insults," mr tantrum", u re so eager to start a fight and u have the effontery to call someone else "shallow minded", oh how ironical, let me lay it down for u, u asked me where achebe was when his fellow African writers were protesting colonialism, nd I ask u, have u read "things fall apart", wat was his message there, encouraging colonialism abi When he criticised joseph conrads "heart of darkness" because of his depiction af Africans as an unreliable and uncivilised set of people, he was appraising colonialism too?, when he rejected national awards from a government he felt were unreliable which made ur honorable president, mr goodluck jonathan refer to him as primitive and old fashioned, he was encouraging corruption too shey? Nd don't even mention d civil war, it seems the fact that soyinka was jailed is the only thing you know about it. Dat one is a different case entirely. Like I said, soyinka was the perfect Nigerian, he is a Nigerian hero to me and to other Nigerians as well. But when it comes to African literature, d old man has an edge, u can state ur opinions without insults man.
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by victorD3: 9:44am On Mar 28, 2013
His project "cultism in Nigerian campus" is still gulping lives of youths and innocent victims in Nigeria.
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by naptu2: 9:49am On Mar 28, 2013
victorD3: His project "cultism in Nigerian campus" is still gulping lives of youths and innocent victims in Nigeria.

What's the difference between a fraternity, eg The Kappa Alpha Society and a youth gang, eg The Crips?
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by Nobody: 9:52am On Mar 28, 2013
naptu2:

Damn nucca! Why are you always so on point?! You forgot the Lion and the Jewel! How could you?!

As for those screaming about Achebe's being non-radical, pick up the his Criticism of Conrad Black's Heart of Darkness, it is a small book. In fact you can refer to it as a pamphlet, maybe it will help you get some perspective.

RIP Achebe!!!!

Long live Oluwole Soyinka

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by tojj: 9:57am On Mar 28, 2013
victorD3: His project "cultism in Nigerian campus" is still gulping lives of youths and innocent victims in Nigeria.
what do you mean by his project broda,do u blame the originator of islam for boko haram misdeeds?its better ppl learn to keep quiet some tyms
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by tojj: 10:01am On Mar 28, 2013
Ola Johnson:
Guy, are a lot of group parading themselves as PC even outside campuses. PC is no longer on campuses. Besides the name died when it decided not to operate on campuses and got a new name, Seadog.
you be mumu,was soyinka practising confra as you guys do it now,i guess thats y u are rusticateed,op u have been delivered now sha,buh ow many ppu you don kill sef,
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by Nobody: 10:07am On Mar 28, 2013
[quote author=njokusboy][/quote]
Njoku, if you want a debate then meet me on FB, Johnson Olarewaju, where I have a post on something related to this.
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by funkybaby(f): 10:15am On Mar 28, 2013
@ iyaniwura

well done! very interesting write up. smiley

i have learnt so many new things about wole soyinka.

i honestly never knew he was an ijebu man cheesy

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by Nobody: 10:23am On Mar 28, 2013
[quote author=njokusboy][/quote]
Read the "Things Fall Apart" you've made much hype about. He was portraying what sociologists would call culture shock. Besides, the relationship between the Africans and the Whites here was majorly on religion, not colonialism. In history we're taught Europeans came in three separate groups (ie the three Cs) at different times. The Cs are: commerce, christianity and colonialism; in that order. So by historical arrangement, christianity only came as a way percifying Africans who had been traumatized by commerce (slave trade) and to prepare the way for colonialism which started in late 19th century and early 20th century. Please, when next you read place history side by side African literature.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Rhoda / African Nerd / Baba Olowo d Long Prick (a comedy Story For All My Niggars)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.