Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,127 members, 7,825,527 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 04:57 PM

Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him (61773 Views)

Wole Soyinka: "InterInventions", My New Book Will Draw Blood / Wole Soyinka Receiving The Nobel Prize In 1986 (picture) / Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by Iyaniwura123: 11:13pm On Mar 27, 2013
Thanks for your constant support, Donroxy! grin
donroxy: Superb....IYANIWURA always educating and inspiring....

Oya,make i settle down come read about the best WS the don

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by 2Awesome: 11:15pm On Mar 27, 2013
nice write up . Genius baba soyinka luv ur hustle spirit

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by Iyaniwura123: 11:16pm On Mar 27, 2013
Thanks a lot!
collins2good: Nice write up
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by Iyaniwura123: 11:16pm On Mar 27, 2013
Thanks a lot!
2Awesome: nice write up . Genius baba soyinka luv ur hustle spirit
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by Nobody: 11:16pm On Mar 27, 2013
Ìyániwúrà123: It is really funny when some people think this was rushed up and posted in a few hours because of Achebe's demise. Very funny, that's how I can describe your comment.

Don't worry yourself. . . Let them whine afterall bitching is their culture.

Keep up the good work. cool

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by Iyaniwura123: 11:19pm On Mar 27, 2013
I'd be very glad to write about you wink
Stegomiah: Anytime I see things u neva knew bout smbody, I don know sey na iyaniwura's post. Gud write up dough, but A̶̲̥̅♏ tired of reading bout already made pple, one day u'll write bout me, cos am already writing my own biography with each passing day. Btw, wen will u write bout urself?
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by Iyaniwura123: 11:21pm On Mar 27, 2013
Thanks a lot, that is very much noted.
lexy2lexy: Iyaniwura, thanks for the write up. Just wanted to correct you that the "Oso" in yoruba names has nothing to do with Wizards or Sorcerers. It means wealth, that is why yorubas often question people who become rich suddenly as "o se sho"
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by Iyaniwura123: 11:22pm On Mar 27, 2013
I swear na you talk that one o grin
seyizma: But baba like woman small o
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by madridsta007(m): 11:28pm On Mar 27, 2013
A day Back In History-

PROFESSOR WOLE SOYINKA under arrest in 1967 during the CIVIL WAR accused of being a Biafran Spy, was placed in solitary confinement for over 2yrs. He was a high profile campaigner speaking out against the human rights abuses that were spiraling out of control in Biafra. According to BBC, “Wole Soyinka was thrown into jail without trial for allegedly supporting those who wanted to break up the country.

He was imprisoned for 26 months,out of which 22 months was in solitary confinement in Lagos high security prison. And in that solitary confinement the novel "The Man Died" was written. Soyinka, a man that believes in justice, the principles of human rights and the right to self-determination of a people genuinely undergoing systematic persecution.

God bless Soyinka.

4 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by ypzilanti: 11:28pm On Mar 27, 2013
Bunch of juveniles on Nairaland. Like I always say, a little education is a dangerous thing. Literacy is just the beginning of education. Awareness, enlightenment, and a wide range of knowledge is what makes a person learned and not just literate.

The two great men loved each other. You little kids can keep fighting over which was greater. Love Soyinka, by the way.

3 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by freecocoa(f): 11:29pm On Mar 27, 2013
Him 3rd wife no get pikin?

Hmm, interesting bio there.
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by chakula: 11:30pm On Mar 27, 2013
That was before because this thread starter had made me to know.
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by Akshow: 11:30pm On Mar 27, 2013
All de deluded eeediots crying foul about soyinka's thread get a grip of your self. Achebe is dead and gone the world won't pause. So cos achebe died we should not mention soyinka's name again abi? @poster three Gbosa for you for this interestin thread.

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by ypzilanti: 11:40pm On Mar 27, 2013
It says a lot about the two great men that they loved each other, and were never adversaries. Such self assurance and humility is rare in a country where everyone seems to have a siege mentality about who wants to take 'their place'.

Now, the little people are busy fighting over who was greater or more relevant.

Nobody knows you nameless trolls on 'Team Achebe' and 'Team Soyinka'. They have done their bit...go and do yours.

Get a life.

6 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by Balkan(m): 11:43pm On Mar 27, 2013
I don't like him for one thing. He destroyed my life. I joined pirates confratanity in my youth days in UNIBEN and I wast rusticated. He is the father of university cultism today. But Ahoy! I wil still follow you till I die. Roughest sale my capoon blood of turtuga.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by ypzilanti: 11:48pm On Mar 27, 2013
Balkan: I don't like him for one thing. He destroyed my life. I joined pirates confratanity in my youth days in UNIBEN and I wast rusticated. He is the father of university cultism today. But Ahoy! I wil still follow you till I die. Roughest sale my capoon blood of turtuga.

Fraternity is not supposed to be cultism. Two different things entirely. The socio-economic-political situation in Nigeria converted what was supposed to be harmless clubs into killing clubs.

Let me explain. Why are cults non existent in private universities? Do they have a team of soldiers stationed in the schools? Cults arose from the dereliction of duty pervasive in the Nigerian civil service. The schools did not do their job to whip erring students into order.
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by Nobody: 11:48pm On Mar 27, 2013
Balkan: I don't like him for one thing. He destroyed my life. I joined pirates confratanity in my youth days in UNIBEN and I wast rusticated. He is the father of university cultism today. But Ahoy! I wil still follow you till I die. Roughest sale my capoon blood of turtuga.
Bros he did'nt destroy your life instead you did.Were there no others that were initiated with you at the same time that went on to graduate?You carry your own for head naim cause am.Just thank your stars you are alive to have commented on NL today

3 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by Akshow: 11:50pm On Mar 27, 2013
he carry gun put for Ya head say compulsory you must join cult? Guy na you destroy your life no blame your stupidity on someone else.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by freecocoa(f): 11:52pm On Mar 27, 2013
I said I wasn't going to call people names this year but you are making me go against what I planned and believe me, God will hold you responsible for what I'm about to say, here goes...

You are the most f00lish person to have ever walked the face of the earth, keep forming cultist, them go shoot you throway if you no wan help yourself, he ruined your life and he won a nobel prize for that whereas you that is the reason for him winning that prize is a school dropout, the irony.

Ewu somalia, mscheew.

3 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by Akshow: 11:55pm On Mar 27, 2013
ypzilanti: It says a lot about the two great men that they loved each other, and were never adversaries. Such self assurance and humility is rare in a country where everyone seems to have a siege mentality about who wants to take 'their place'.

Now, the little people are busy fighting over who was greater or more relevant.

Nobody knows you nameless trolls on 'Team Achebe' and 'Team Soyinka'. They have done their bit...go and do yours.

Get a life.
Nice one but i will like to remind you that this isn't about achebe. Those that brought his name into a thread of wole are the bigots. Wole's thread has been making front page even before achebe died so why would anyone equate any of his thread as a competition wit achebe. Achebe is dead and gone the world will move on. The poster recently posted that of flora Nwapa that one no cause problem. As e turn wole own them say na bigot.
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by ypzilanti: 12:16am On Mar 28, 2013
Akshow: Nice one but i will like to remind you that this isn't about achebe. Those that brought his name into a thread of wole are the bigots. Wole's thread has been making front page even before achebe died so why would anyone equate any of his thread as a competition wit achebe. Achebe is dead and gone the world will move on. The poster recently posted that of flora Nwapa that one no cause problem. As e turn wole own them say na bigot.

Yeah! I liked the Flora Nwapa tribute.
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by Balkan(m): 12:33am On Mar 28, 2013
freecocoa: I said I wasn't going to call people names this year but you are making me go against what I planned and believe me, God will hold you responsible for what I'm about to say, here goes...

You are the most f00lish person to have ever walked the face of the earth, keep forming cultist, them go shoot you throway if you no wan help yourself, he ruined your life and he won a nobel prize for that whereas you that is the reason for him winning that prize is a school dropout, the irony.

Ewu somalia, mscheew.
you are a blind lobber, you will never understand. Most guys in my days that joined did not know what they were joining . You can only say what you know
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by shadrach77: 12:36am On Mar 28, 2013
Soyinka is better than Achebe

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by Balkan(m): 12:40am On Mar 28, 2013
chingyjant:
Bros he did'nt destroy your life instead you did.Were there no others that were initiated with you at the same time that went on to graduate?You carry your own for head naim cause am.Just thank your stars you are alive to have commented on NL today
you are a lagger, am still sailing. But he destroyed me. Though respect for him but I know he will pay for leading people astray. Like I told you , I will still follow him till we all get marooned.
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by Airforce1(m): 12:49am On Mar 28, 2013
What is wole shoyinka?

Sounds gayy to me tongue
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by ajayioluwatobi(m): 12:57am On Mar 28, 2013
hmm
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by watchindelta(m): 1:03am On Mar 28, 2013
too much agressive here which way
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by CyberG: 1:23am On Mar 28, 2013
baby_mama: Why is the son looking so angry?
lord have mercy
See how all these people will be shouting Africa Africa wearing danshiki and shouting black power but they will be marrying and incubating white women under the sheets.

You seem upset that no one is interested in marrying a tribal bigot liability like you!? Even if he married a Nigerian 1,000,000X your chances are ZERO! LOL grin grin

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by lastpage: 1:24am On Mar 28, 2013
iamswizz: hmmmmm.

Too long to read..

Most popular Nigerian? He wasnt even half as popular as Achebe.
Popularity being referred to here, is at the International Stage!

Did you not read where it was said that he was the FIRST AFRICAN and ONLY NIGERIAN to win a Nobel Prize in Literature (same field as Achebe!)
Or did l miss where Achebe won a Nobel Prize?

Lastpage!

PS: Dont turn this into another "tribal war" ...l am just "setting the record STRAIGHT" and NOT in anyway, diminishinhg from Achebe's achievements as a Literary icon.

4 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by CyberG: 1:28am On Mar 28, 2013

You be loser man! grin grin Some of us went to the best universities in Nigeria and outside where Wole Soyinka even held sway but never joined a secret cult and never rusticated. It must be that your low self-esteem and academic dullness made you think you could get an advantage by joining a cult to intimidate lecturers to give you a pass and force girls to date you! Well, you can't blame Soyinka for that for a lot of people like me went through the same Nigerian universities, schooled in foreign universities, finished successfully and earn millions a year from legitimate work as a result of our professional training and education!

3 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by OCcool: 1:53am On Mar 28, 2013
@9jacrip. U are a he goat nd a very silly i.d.i.o.t 4 quoting d entire post.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Rhoda / African Nerd / Baba Olowo d Long Prick (a comedy Story For All My Niggars)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.