Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,179 members, 7,821,987 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:49 PM

Eating Meat On Good Friday! - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Eating Meat On Good Friday! (11782 Views)

Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? / Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? / Do You Eat Meat On Good Friday? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by Koolking(m): 4:16pm On Mar 28, 2013
m.k.o2005:

How about if what i love or derive pleasure in is fish,can i also not eat fish,assuming am not fasting ?
God i need the fullness of the holy spirit in my life. I need the fruits of the spirit.
God help me

Yes bro. Even if it's beer or cigarette. They are your meats.
Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by Richy4(m): 4:16pm On Mar 28, 2013
It's not really bad to be a vegetarian for a day ie if one can stay away from meat. but my favorite quote in the bible that permit me to eat whatever i like is "Peter Arise Kill and Eat........." Acts 10:13
Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by livebullet(m): 4:17pm On Mar 28, 2013
[quote author=Galaxy.Note.II]^^^who da heck do you think is going read all that g_ _ _ _ _e? [/quote

if u dnt read, u wont knw...and lack of knwledge will always inspire biased statements...like those posted above

1 Like

Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by Goshen360(m): 4:19pm On Mar 28, 2013
New Living Translation (©2007)
And so you cancel the word of God in order to hand down your own tradition. And this is only one example among many others." Mark 7:13

New International Version (©2011)
I was advancing in Judaism beyond many of my own age among my people and was extremely zealous for the traditions of my fathers. Galatians 1:14

New Living Translation (©2007)
When I was a child, I spoke and thought and reasoned as a child. But when I grew up, I put away childish things. 1 Corinthians 13:11

^ ^ ^

Kindly find out where you belong among the three scriptures quoted. A child (not necessarily of age in this context) is not different from a slave even though everything the father owns belongs to such child. Time has come to tear down every traditional practices and traditions of men that cancels the word of God, including traditional interpretation of the word.

1 Like

Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by Nobody: 4:20pm On Mar 28, 2013
m.k.o2005:

How about if what i love or derive pleasure in is fish,can i also not eat fish,assuming am not fasting ?
God i need the fullness of the holy spirit in my life. I need the fruits of the spirit.
God help me

Please feel free to eat fish Bro, no harm at all. Not eating meat is just a tradition for some people.
Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by Nobody: 4:22pm On Mar 28, 2013
livebullet:

Within few minutes ur already lossing track with memory?....na wa o... please read the last part of ur post. u said " ....i want o knw if other people still stick to this dogma"

now pay me for functioning as ur memory machine(brain)....ahahahaha...lol

No be me talk am o! grin
It was the person I quoted that said it.

I don't know how come you have been on Nairaland for so long and yet you don't understand how quoting works.

Cheers
Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by Nobody: 4:27pm On Mar 28, 2013
fellis:

No be me talk am o! grin

I don't know how come you have been on Nairaland for so long and yet you don't understand how quoting works.

Cheers

grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by mko2005: 4:27pm On Mar 28, 2013
livebullet:

abeg bros i for still like make u show me where e dey for that bible say make we worship God on sunday(1st day of the wk) instead of sabbath which is saturday. I mean every thing doesnt hav to be in d bible befor the Church have the authority to institute it either as a tradition or doctrine of faith. Do you even know the church compiled the New testament? dat is to say, the church is older tha the new testament....Use ur google and browse "the council of Trent and the canonization of the scriptures".
The 'church' compiling the bible does not mean the church wrote the bible ! Which church (group of believers)in the first place ? God I need the maximum indwelling of the holy spirit as i pray for the fruit of the spirit !
God help me
Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by mko2005: 4:29pm On Mar 28, 2013
austengold:

Please feel free to eat fish Bro, no harm at all. Not eating meat is just a tradition for some people.
Thank you !
God help me in this race !
Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by chocopearl(f): 4:29pm On Mar 28, 2013
wazobia_for_u: Its not a sin to eat meat but come to think of it, the reason behind it is because is the day Jesus was killed and he did not wanted to die so he was sorrowful, so most people dont feel happy or rejoice because of that till sunday but why did they name it GOOD FRIDAY if what happened on that friday was bad?
to me it's GOOD FRIDAY cos dats d friday dat gave rise to my salvation.
Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by livebullet(m): 4:32pm On Mar 28, 2013
fellis:

No be me talk am o! grin

Cheers

sorry jor...was in a hurry. thats y the mistake
Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by livebullet(m): 4:36pm On Mar 28, 2013
m.k.o2005:

The 'church' compiling the bible does not mean the church wrote the bible ! Which church (group of believers)in the first place ? God I need the maximum indwelling of the holy spirit as i pray for the fruit of the spirit !
God help me

God inspired, the church wrote!....but abeg show me where sunday worship instead of sabbath dey for bible....U worship on sunday because ur under the authority of The church!

the church fixed sunday worship as against jewish sabbath which the earliest apostles observed in d bible.....so like it or not, ur not completely free from the Teachin authority of the church...ahahahahahahah
Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by Nobody: 4:38pm On Mar 28, 2013
livebullet:

sorry jor...was in a hurry. thats y the mistake

Alright
Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by mko2005: 4:38pm On Mar 28, 2013
Richy.:
It's not really bad to be a vegetarian for a day ie if one can stay away from meat. but my favorite quote in the bible that permit me to eat whatever i like is "Peter Arise Kill and Eat........." Acts 10:13
I love this scripture also:
They forbid people to marry and order them to abstain from certain foods, which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and who know the truth.-1 Timothy 4:3
But in all,if we do for the sake of Christ,then it is allowed but we can't kill people and say we kill for Christ.
God help me with the holy spirit.I want to be totally be controlled by ur spirit lord !
God help me
Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by Pappyto: 4:49pm On Mar 28, 2013
meat pie nko?

1 Like

Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by wazobiaforu(m): 4:53pm On Mar 28, 2013
chocopearl:
to me it's GOOD FRIDAY cos dats d friday dat gave rise to my salvation.

Then let celebrate it, even let us kill goat,dance and thank the people that killed him than rebuking them or seeing them as bad person, at least they help you to actualised salvation, they are good people if friday is good

2 Likes

Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by mko2005: 4:56pm On Mar 28, 2013
livebullet:

God inspired, the church wrote!....but abeg show me where sunday worship instead of sabbath dey for bible....U worship on sunday because ur under the authority of The church!

the church fixed sunday worship as against jewish sabbath which the earliest apostles observed in d bible.....so like it or not, ur not completely free from the Teachin authority of the church...ahahahahahahah
God inspired,the church wrote.Who compiled ?
See below what apostle Paul said to the Colossians :
Colossians 2:16-17
Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ.
See below scriptures regarding another day the early Christians met :
On the first day of the week we came together to break bread. Paul spoke to the people and, because he intended to leave the next day, kept on talking until midnight.
I can start going to church on Wednesday and there will be nothing wrong with it !
God help me. I need the holly spirit.
Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by Revolva(m): 4:57pm On Mar 28, 2013
grin rubbish omo. Abi na tommow sef weekend go start make I flex nkwo obi and after dat tell aboki to cut the suya ...come top am up with beer **cheers**
Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by dasparrow: 5:03pm On Mar 28, 2013
@Post

I am not a big fan of meat anyway. I shall be eating only fish tomorrow Good Friday God willing.

That's all folks!
Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by livebullet(m): 5:08pm On Mar 28, 2013
m.k.o2005:

I love this scripture also:
They forbid people to marry and order them to abstain from certain foods, which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and who know the truth.-1 Timothy 4:3
But in all,if we do for the sake of Christ,then it is allowed but we can't kill people and say we kill for Christ.
God help me with the holy spirit.I want to be totally be controlled by ur spirit lord !
God help me

where in that verse contradictsthe christain good friday fast?
I guess when ur Pastor prescribes a pattern of fast for u. U can also quote this verse for him...
Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by jes7: 5:13pm On Mar 28, 2013
I wonder why people leave the substance to pursue shadows. This practice is a man-made doctrine to distract people from the real essence of Christ's death on the cross. He died to take away our sins; he suffered so that we don't have to suffer again. We can not accept Christ sacrifice just by trying to give up some legitimate things on a particular day while we still hold on to our sins neither will our self effort bring us close to God. What the bible requires is "repent ye therefore and be converted that your sins may be blotted out". Repentance by faith in the sacrifice of Jesus Christ is all we need and not the religious portray of superficial sobriety that don't last beyond Easter!

Shut the hell up. If you don't know the purpose, why don't you shut up and not try to insult people's faith? mschew!!

@Topic,
The reason is to commemorate Jesus' final and ultimate sacrifice on Calvary on the first Good Friday, by giving up some worldly pleasures on that day. Most people prefer meat, which is why it is a sacrifice. We not only abstain from flesh, we fast as well.[/color][/font][/quote]
Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by jes7: 5:15pm On Mar 28, 2013
I wonder why people leave the substance to pursue shadows. This practice is a man-made doctrine to distract people from the real essence of Christ's death on the cross. He died to take away our sins; he suffered so that we don't have to suffer again. We can not accept Christ sacrifice just by trying to give up some legitimate things on a particular day while we still hold on to our sins neither will our self effort bring us close to God. What the bible requires is "repent ye therefore and be converted that your sins may be blotted out". Repentance by faith in the sacrifice of Jesus Christ is all we need and not the religious portray of superficial sobriety that don't last beyond Easter!
ItsModella:
Shut the hell up. If you don't know the purpose, why don't you shut up and not try to insult people's faith? mschew!!

@Topic,
The reason is to commemorate Jesus' final and ultimate sacrifice on Calvary on the first Good Friday, by giving up some worldly pleasures on that day. Most people prefer meat, which is why it is a sacrifice. We not only abstain from flesh, we fast as well.
Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by Reference(m): 5:20pm On Mar 28, 2013
wise_many2k: I ain't a catholic but we all know that the catholic church is the oldest denomination among churches. As a teenager, my mom wld serve only fish with any meal on good fridays cos it is said that "eating meat, chicken, or any fleshy meat on gd friday amounts to eating the flesh of Jesus" So i wanna know if there are other ppl out there that still stick to dis dogma?

As for me, don't ask me if i will eat meat or fish tomorrow..... #dazall wink

My friend read your bible again. Jesus said if you don't eat my flesh and drink my blood you have no life in you. He said do it oft. He said my flesh is meat indeed and my blood is drink indeed.

Though the real meaning, the koko of the word is different but show me where he said we should not eat meat. If we are to eat his flesh in 'remembrance' of him, what is good friday/easter, not remembrance day?

Then obviously the bible warns us about those who do not eat and forbids others from eating meat.., c'mon read man.
Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by mko2005: 5:29pm On Mar 28, 2013
livebullet:

where in that verse contradictsthe christain good friday fast?
I guess when ur Pastor prescribes a pattern of fast for u. U can also quote this verse for him...
From the little knowledge of the scripture i have by HIS grace,if you are under any authority,you must be submissive to it ! The only time you have to object is when what you are been asked to do or say contradicts the holy bible !
Concerning fasting,it is not wrong to fast any time anyday but pls do not say it's a must i fast.For if i fast,i fast for myself! Jesus finished HIS fasting and was led into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil and after that HE went on with HIS ministry and started to pick HIS disciples.He died after three and half years.
If you are under an authority(church),pls obey that authority but wen it contradicts the instruction of God as stipulated in the holy book,pls ignore it and run away from it.Do not let anyone deceive you that it is the tradition of the early church fathers or what have you.There are tradition of God and there are traditions of men.That of God supersedes !
God help me,i need your spirit to overtake me completely
God help me
Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by Reference(m): 5:29pm On Mar 28, 2013
There is no where in scripture where Jesus said fast or abstain from anything in remembrance of me. These are man made laws which amount to little. You cannot get closer to God by performance. Jesus doesn't need your fasting to love you. People should stop making Jesus appear a task master that makes his children jump through hoops to reach him.

He accorded the condemned man on the cross paradise for nothing except an acknowledgement that he was the Christ. 2013 years later we are to do this and that and this and that, haba.
Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by livebullet(m): 5:31pm On Mar 28, 2013
m.k.o2005:

God inspired,the church wrote.Who compiled ?
See below what apostle Paul said to the Colossians :
Colossians 2:16-17
Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ.
See below scriptures regarding another day the early Christians met :
On the first day of the week we came together to break bread. Paul spoke to the people and, because he intended to leave the next day, kept on talking until midnight.
I can start going to church on Wednesday and there will be nothing wrong with it !
God help me. I need the holly spirit.

the church also compiled in the council of trent....Please go back to history google or read books

and as for the Good friday xtain fast its a pattern prescribed by the church just like ur pastor can prescribe a unique way to fast for u. like tellin u to eat only once in 12hrs or 24....This is our own easter pattern prescribed by the church. So where is ur disagreement comin 4rm.

And moreover like the Jehovah witnesses will say, the bible did not ask us to celebrate easter and xmas so y do we do them? My brother i tell u again,its not until the bible explicitly say "Do" that the "doing" becomes justified. otherwise a lot of christain practice today will b questionable....
Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by mko2005: 5:36pm On Mar 28, 2013
Reference:

My friend read your bible again. Jesus said if you don't eat my flesh and drink my blood you have no life in you. He said do it oft. He said my flesh is meat indeed and my blood is drink indeed.

Though the real meaning, the koko of the word is different but show me where he said we should not eat meat. If we are to eat his flesh in 'remembrance' of him, what is good friday/easter, not remembrance day?

This one na another side of the story. Anyway,let us allow everyman to his own understanding so long as them never abuse God
I need the help of the holy spirit to activate the grace of God upon my life !
God help me
Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by mko2005: 5:37pm On Mar 28, 2013
livebullet:

the church also compiled in the council of trent....Please go back to history google or read books

The big question is which church wrote and which church compiled
Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by mko2005: 5:41pm On Mar 28, 2013
livebullet:

And moreover like the Jehovah witnesses will say, the bible did not ask us to celebrate easter and xmas so y do we do them? My brother i tell u again,its not until t[b]he bible explicitly say "Do" that the "doing" becomes justified.[/b] otherwise a lot of christain practice today will b questionable....
whether explicitly or implicitly,i tell you what ever the 'church' says i should do that contradicts the word of God must be shunned ! I'm not saying there is a contradiction in the subject matter as it stands !
God help me
Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by livebullet(m): 5:42pm On Mar 28, 2013
m.k.o2005:

From the little knowledge of the scripture i have by HIS grace,if you are under any authority,you must be submissive to it ! The only time you have to object is when what you are been asked to do or say contradicts the holy bible !
Concerning fasting,it is not wrong to fast any time anyday but pls do not say it's a must i fast.For if i fast,i fast for myself! Jesus finished HIS fasting and was led into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil and after that HE went on with HIS ministry and started to pick HIS disciples.He died after three and half years.
If you are under an authority(church),pls obey that authority but wen it contradicts the instruction of God as stipulated in the holy book,pls ignore it and run away from it.Do not let anyone deceive you that it is the tradition of the early church fathers or what have you.There are tradition of God and there are traditions of men.That of God supersedes !
God help me,i need your spirit to overtake me completely
God help me

now ur begining to progress from fanatical statements to more rational thinking. now, i obey the teaching authority of the church cos the Church has @ her head Jesus the ultimate founder. And as for the Good Friday chrisstain fast, it doesnt contradict scriptures rather it magnifies scriptures..." it reminds us that man should not leave by food(bread) alone" but should be more concernd bout God's word. Good friday fast of abstaining from meat and other pleasures of the flesh speaks to that effect. thank you

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

10 Things Muslims Don't Want 'Infidels' Knowing About Islam / Faith Healers Who Couldn't Heal Themselves. / RCCG 2013 Prophecies By Pastor E.A ADEBOYE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.