Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,762 members, 7,824,186 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:29 AM

Eating Meat On Good Friday! - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Eating Meat On Good Friday! (11785 Views)

Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? / Good Friday: Is Abstaining From Meat Superstitous Or Biblical? / Do You Eat Meat On Good Friday? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by livebullet(m): 5:44pm On Mar 28, 2013
Reference: There is no where in scripture where Jesus said fast or abstain from anything in remembrance of me. These are man made laws which amount to little. You cannot get closer to God by performance. Jesus doesn't need your fasting to love you. People should stop making Jesus appear a task master that makes his children jump through hoops to reach him.

He accorded the condemned man on the cross paradise for nothing except an acknowledgement that he was the Christ. 2013 years later we are to do this and that and this and that, haba.

imagine this ones own comment......are you saying Jesus didnt require we fast.....are u a xtain
Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by jes7: 5:47pm On Mar 28, 2013
wise_many2k: I ain't a catholic but we all know that the catholic church is the oldest denomination among churches. As a teenager, my mom wld serve only fish with any meal on good fridays cos it is said that "eating meat, chicken, or any fleshy meat on gd friday amounts to eating the flesh of Jesus" So i wanna know if there are other ppl out there that still stick to dis dogma?

As for me, don't ask me if i will eat meat or fish tomorrow..... #dazall wink

We don't need all these unnecessary religious rituals, you can't find them in the new testament. Religion is a distraction from true Christianity (Col 2:cool. Today instead of people turning away from their sins, they go about observing unnecessary rituals only to go back to their sins after Easter. The message is simple: " All we have gone astray; we have turned everyone to his own way and the Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all" (Isaiah 53:6). What are religious people doing today? " For they being ignorant of God's righteousness and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God" Rom 10:3. What is supposed to be our response to Christ's death? Fasting- no; abstinence from meat- no. What then? Let the bible answer for us and not the man made religious opinions. What then did the bible say? "Repent ye therefore and be converted that your sins may be blotted out..." ...having raised up his son Jesus, sent him to bless you, in turning away everyone of you from his iniquities." (Romans 3:19,26). Repentance and righteousness is all we need and not religious rituals!

2 Likes

Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by jes7: 5:51pm On Mar 28, 2013
Colossians 2:8 please
jes7:

We don't need all these unnecessary religious rituals, you can't find them in the new testament. Religion is a distraction from true Christianity (Col 2:cool. Today instead of people turning away from their sins, they go about observing unnecessary rituals only to go back to their sins after Easter. The message is simple: " All we have gone astray; we have turned everyone to his own way and the Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all" (Isaiah 53:6). What are religious people doing today? " For they being ignorant of God's righteousness and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God" Rom 10:3. What is supposed to be our response to Christ's death? Fasting- no; abstinence from meat- no. What then? Let the bible answer for us and not the man made religious opinions. What then did the bible say? "Repent ye therefore and be converted that your sins may be blotted out..." ...having raised up his son Jesus, sent him to bless you, in turning away everyone of you from his iniquities." (Romans 3:19,26). Repentance and righteousness is all we need and not religious rituals!
Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by livebullet(m): 5:51pm On Mar 28, 2013
jes7:

THESE ARE THE PEOPLE WHO ARE AGAINST FASTING....EHEHEHEHE......A BRAND NEW STYLE OF XTAINITY. I KNW A POPULAR 9JA PASTOR WHO SAYS HIS MEMBERS SHOULDNT FAST....NA WA OOOOOOO
Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by livebullet(m): 5:54pm On Mar 28, 2013
jes7:

THESE ARE THE PEOPLE WHO ARE AGAINST FASTING....EHEHEHEHE......A BRAND NEW STYLE OF XTAINITY. I KNW A POPULAR 9JA PASTOR WHO SAYS HIS MEMBERS SHOULDNT FAST....NA WA OOOOOOO
Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by mko2005: 5:56pm On Mar 28, 2013
livebullet:

now ur begining to progress from fanatical statements to more rational thinking. now, i obey the teaching authority of the church cos the Church has @ her head Jesus the ultimate founder. And as for the Good Friday chrisstain fast, it doesnt contradict scriptures rather it magnifies scriptures..." it reminds us that man should not leave by food(bread) alone" but should be more concernd bout God's word. Good friday fast of abstaining from meat and other pleasures of the flesh speaks to that effect. thank you
One man said 'if you have not been labelled a christian fanatic as a christian,then you have not started'
Let every man do as he understands !
God help me
Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by mko2005: 5:57pm On Mar 28, 2013
livebullet:

When we fast is it for God or for man ? Why do we fast ? Christ fasted,why ?
God help us
Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by jes7: 6:01pm On Mar 28, 2013
livebullet:

imagine this ones own comment......are you saying Jesus didnt require we fast.....are u a xtain

Fasting is not the issue here, but fasting because you are marking Christ death. You don't need to be sober or fast on Easter as a religious obligation. Repent from you sins, stop doing evil not just on Easter but everyday of your life. If you are living a righteous life you don't have to be sober or sad on Easter but rejoice that Christ died for our sins and has taken away the guilt and punishment for our sins.But if you are still in your sins, commemorating Easter will worthless, useless and meaningless because as long as you are still a sinner, the purpose of Christ death has not been fulfilled in your life!

1 Like

Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by mko2005: 6:04pm On Mar 28, 2013
jes7:

Fasting is not the issue here, but fasting because you are marking Christ death. You don't need to be sober or fast on Easter as a religious obligation. Repent from you sins, stop doing evil not just on Easter but everyday of your life. If you are living a righteous life you don't have to be sober or sad on Easter but rejoice that Christ died for our sins and has taken away the guilt and punishment for our sins.But if you are still in your sins, commemorating Easter will worthless, useless and meaningless because as long as you are still a sinner, the purpose of Christ death has not been fulfilled in your life!
You have spoken the scripture !
This is the word of God from jes 7
God help us
Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by livebullet(m): 6:16pm On Mar 28, 2013
m.k.o2005:

One man said 'if you have not been labelled a christian fanatic as a christian,then you have not started'
Let every man do as he understands !
God help me

NA SO JOR...just like we call the islamists fanatics....lol. nothing do u.
Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by jes7: 6:17pm On Mar 28, 2013
livebullet:

Why do you keep chasing shadows? You can fast anytime, any day, any where, but fasting will not take away your sins; repentance and righteousness is all you need. Obedience is better than sacrifice!
Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by livebullet(m): 6:19pm On Mar 28, 2013
jes7:

mr man we dont fast on easter...learn the difference bw the week preceedin easter and easter week!....Learn about the church calendar!...we celebrate easter with a joyous acclamation "halleluyah" not fasting, we only fast before the day commemorating ressurection.
Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by livebullet(m): 6:25pm On Mar 28, 2013
jes7:
Why do you keep chasing shadows? You can fast anytime, any day, any where, but fasting will not take away your sins; repentance and righteousness is all you need. Obedience is better than sacrifice!

what is repentance? isnt it fasting from evil and inordinate pleasure which doesnt glorify God?....Answer me!
Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by feroms(m): 6:38pm On Mar 28, 2013
m.k.o2005:

How about if what i love or derive pleasure in is fish,can i also not eat fish,assuming am not fasting ?
God i need the fullness of the holy spirit in my life. I need the fruits of the spirit.
God help me
At least forego something u derive pleasure from d most and stil dont eat meat cos we try to avoid anything from which blood was spilled
Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by waldigit: 6:44pm On Mar 28, 2013
livebullet:

1st i'll like to say the Catholic(from the word Katolik...meaning universal) is not a christain denomination. The cathplic church is "The Church"....other dissidents(breakaways) are the denominations.

FAST AND ABSTINENCE.

It is a traditional doctrine of Christian spirituality that a constituent part of repentance, of turning away from sin and back to God, includes some form of penance, without which the Christian is unlikely to remain on the narrow path and be saved (Jer. 18:11, 25:5; Ez. 18:30, 33:11-15; Joel 2:12; Mt. 3:2; Mt. 4:17; Acts 2:38). Christ Himself said that His disciples would fast once He had departed (Lk. 5:35). The general law of penance, therefore, is part of the law of God for man.

The Church has specified certain forms of penance, both to ensure that the Catholic will do something, as required by divine law, while making it easy for Catholics to fulfill the obligation. Thus, the 1983 Code of Canon Law specifies the obligations of Latin Rite Catholics [Eastern Rite Catholics have their own penitential practices as specified by the Code of Canons for the Eastern Churches].

Canon 1250 All Fridays through the year and the time of Lent are penitential days and times throughout the entire Church.

Canon 1251 Abstinence from eating meat or another food according to the prescriptions of the conference of bishops is to be observed on Fridays throughout the year unless they are solemnities; abstinence and fast are to be observed on Ash Wednesday and on the Friday of the Passion and Death of Our Lord Jesus Christ.

Canon 1252 All persons who have completed their fourteenth year are bound by the law of abstinence; all adults are bound by the law of fast up to the beginning of their sixtieth year. Nevertheless, pastors and parents are to see to it that minors who are not bound by the law of fast and abstinence are educated in an authentic sense of penance.

Can. 1253 It is for the conference of bishops to determine more precisely the observance of fast and abstinence and to substitute in whole or in part for fast and abstinence other forms of penance, especially works of charity and exercises of piety.

The Church, therefore, has two forms of official penitential practices - three if the Eucharistic fast before Communion is included.

Abstinence The law of abstinence requires a Catholic 14 years of age until death to abstain from eating meat on Fridays in honor of the Passion of Jesus on Good Friday. Meat is considered to be the flesh and organs of mammals and fowl. Moral theologians have traditionally considered this also to forbid soups or gravies made from them. Salt and freshwater species of fish, amphibians, reptiles and shellfish are permitted, as are animal-derived products such as gelatin, butter, cheese and eggs, which do not have any meat taste.

On the Fridays outside of Lent the U.S. bishops conference obtained the permission of the Holy See for Catholics in the US to substitute a penitential, or even a charitable, practice of their own choosing. Since this was not stated as binding under pain of sin, not to do so on a single occasion would not in itself be sinful. However, since penance is a divine command, the general refusal to do penance is certainly gravely sinful. For most people the easiest way to consistently fulfill this command is the traditional one, to abstain from meat on all Fridays of the year which are not liturgical solemnities. When solemnities, such as the Annunciation, Assumption, All Saints etc. fall on a Friday, we

your holiest holiness, may I make clear that the early church as headed by the apostles had nothing in common with catholic denomination. We cannot rewrite history no matter how hard we try. The church as you refer and as presented by the Scripture has nothing to do with any denomination or any catholic local assembly, but it is a universal body of Christ comprising believers who obey the commandment of Christ. He shall someday marry the Church as His bride.
On meat palaver, Christ once said if you love me, obey my commandment. john 15:16 says one of His commandment is to win soul. Like the scripture says it is wise to major on major things and minor on minor things.shalom.

2 Likes

Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by jes7: 6:50pm On Mar 28, 2013
Repentance is turning away from you sins not for Easter but in acceptance of Christ sacrifice, this is the message of the scriptures why not read the bible and see for yourself. The bible is greater than our personal opinions. Read Isaiah 1:11-19. What happens after Easter? You resume your old sinful life?
livebullet:

what is repentance? isnt it fasting from evil and inordinate pleasure which doesnt glorify God?....Answer me!
Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by jaymichael(m): 7:11pm On Mar 28, 2013
livebullet:

abeg bros i for still like make u show me where e dey for that bible say make we worship God on sunday(1st day of the wk) instead of sabbath which is saturday. I mean every thing doesnt hav to be in d bible befor the Church have the authority to institute it either as a tradition or doctrine of faith. Do you even know the church compiled the New testament? dat is to say, the church is older tha the new testament....Use ur google and browse "the council of Trent and the canonization of the scriptures".
All true Christians
will remain faithful to the
religion of Christ as
taught in the Bible, and
heed the warning of the
Apostle Paul, who said:
"But though we, or an
angel from heaven,
preach any other Gospel
unto you than that
which we have
preached unto you, let
him be
accursed" (Galatians 1:8
Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by plappville(f): 7:12pm On Mar 28, 2013
waldigit :

your holiest holiness, may I make clear that the early church as headed by the apostles had nothing in common with catholic denomination. We cannot rewrite history no matter how hard we try. The church as you refer and as presented by the Scripture has nothing to do with any denomination or any catholic local assembly, but it is a universal body of Christ comprising believers who obey the commandment of Christ. He shall someday marry the Church as His bride.
On meat palaver, Christ once said if you love me, obey my commandment. john 15:16 says one of His commandment is to win soul. Like the scripture says it is wise to major on major things and minor on minor things.shalom.

Bless you!!
Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by plappville(f): 7:13pm On Mar 28, 2013
jes7:

You have spoken well!
Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by plappville(f): 7:15pm On Mar 28, 2013
Goshen360: New Living Translation (©2007)
And so you cancel the word of God in order to hand down your own tradition. And this is only one example among many others." Mark 7:13

New International Version (©2011)
I was advancing in Judaism beyond many of my own age among my people and was extremely zealous for the traditions of my fathers. Galatians 1:14

New Living Translation (©2007)
When I was a child, I spoke and thought and reasoned as a child. But when I grew up, I put away childish things. 1 Corinthians 13:11

^ ^ ^

Kindly find out where you belong among the three scriptures quoted. A child (not necessarily of age in this context) is not different from a slave even though everything the father owns belongs to such child. Time has come to tear down every traditional practices and traditions of men that cancels the word of God, including traditional interpretation of the word.

It seems the bible no longer make sense to some socalled christians. They are so tired up with men traditions.

Nice qoutes bro.....!
Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by plappville(f): 7:19pm On Mar 28, 2013
wise_many2k: I ain't a catholic but we all know that the catholic church is the oldest denomination among churches. As a teenager, my mom wld serve only fish with any meal on good fridays cos it is said that "eating meat, chicken, or any fleshy meat on gd friday amounts to eating the flesh of Jesus" So i wanna know if there are other ppl out there that still stick to dis dogma?

If you ca find this tradition in the bible then, practice it, if not why following the masses? must you do like the world? I guessed no.
Men tradition will do you no good as a Christian. I am glad not everyone is blind here.
Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by GooseBaba: 7:38pm On Mar 28, 2013
Reference:

My friend read your bible again. Jesus said if you don't eat my flesh and drink my blood you have no life in you. He said do it oft. He said my flesh is meat indeed and my blood is drink indeed.

Though the real meaning, the koko of the word is different but show me where he said we should not eat meat. If we are to eat his flesh in 'remembrance' of him, what is good friday/easter, not remembrance day?

Then obviously the bible warns us about those who do not eat and forbids others from eating meat.., c'mon read man.

My guy read the thing wey you write... Drink blood, eat flesh.... All this juju thinz! shocked
Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by robonski15(m): 8:32pm On Mar 28, 2013
All these are childish things from mere men.. This is what I call self rightousness ie trying to be rightous by your works " not eating meat".. The bible says its not by works lest u boast.. It brings to mind what Jesus told the pharasees and saducees " u ere beacause u no not the scriptures"..

Easter is meant for celebrating christ death and resurection because the resurection brought salvation and ushered in a new dispensation.. Wether we eat meat or not does not change anytin as far as am concerned.. What we all need is salvation to save our souls.. Thanks
Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by Beno3: 8:50pm On Mar 28, 2013
wazobia_for_u: Its not a sin to eat meat but come to think of it, the reason behind it is because is the day Jesus was killed and he did not wanted to die so he was sorrowful, so most people dont feel happy or rejoice because of that till sunday but why did they name it GOOD FRIDAY if what happened on that friday was bad?
it was called good friday because it is the day jesus sealed the deal on the cross by carrying our boden off our shoulders and die with is to set us free. That is why it is called the good friday.
Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by jimino(m): 10:48pm On Mar 28, 2013
During dis period of lent, d church has being encouraging us 2 fast, pray nd give arms. Nw wen u fast, it is nt all abt abstienting 4rm fud til nyt. It also means abstientin 4rm wateva we do regularly dat gives us pleasuse. One tin most pple derive pleasure 4rm is eating meat. So abtsiening 4rm meat on fridays during lent especially good friday is anoda form of fasting. It is observe by all xtians nt catholic alone.
Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by NOLONGTIN1(m): 12:05am On Mar 29, 2013
Some people here just open their mouth to spew rubbish seeking attention.

1st Roman Catholics not eating meat on Good Friday is a tradtion and i respect that. Muslims dont eat pork, will you say as some brainless people here say its because of poverty? (although pork is more expensive than Beef).
I'm sure other 'belief' have their own traditions
Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by Finland(m): 1:21am On Mar 29, 2013
NO LONG TIN: Some people here just open their mouth to spew rubbish seeking attention.

1st Roman Catholics not eating meat on Good Friday is a tradtion and i respect that. Muslims dont eat pork, will you say as some brainless people here say its because of poverty? (although pork is more expensive than Beef).
I'm sure other 'belief' have their own traditions

Luke 22:19
And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, "This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me."
Jesus actually wants us to eat his body hence the Holy communion. Are you catholic reading the bible upside down? cool
Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by chiteny(m): 6:05am On Mar 29, 2013

undecided what is wrong about that? I thohgt Jesus said encouraged us to eat his flesh and drink his blood. This is exactly what i am doing today.

Where is my knife and that chicken
Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by ijcu(m): 8:21am On Mar 29, 2013
livebullet:

1st i'll like to say the Catholic(from the word Katolik...meaning universal) is not a christain denomination. The cathplic church is "The Church"....other dissidents(breakaways) are the denominations.

FAST AND ABSTINENCE.

It is a traditional doctrine of Christian spirituality that a constituent part of repentance, of turning away from sin and back to God, includes some form of penance, without which the Christian is unlikely to remain on the narrow path and be saved (Jer. 18:11, 25:5; Ez. 18:30, 33:11-15; Joel 2:12; Mt. 3:2; Mt. 4:17; Acts 2:38). Christ Himself said that His disciples would fast once He had departed (Lk. 5:35). The general law of penance, therefore, is part of the law of God for man.

The Church has specified certain forms of penance, both to ensure that the Catholic will do something, as required by divine law, while making it easy for Catholics to fulfill the obligation. Thus, the 1983 Code of Canon Law specifies the obligations of Latin Rite Catholics [Eastern Rite Catholics have their own penitential practices as specified by the Code of Canons for the Eastern Churches].

Canon 1250 All Fridays through the year and the time of Lent are penitential days and times throughout the entire Church.

Canon 1251 Abstinence from eating meat or another food according to the prescriptions of the conference of bishops is to be observed on Fridays throughout the year unless they are solemnities; abstinence and fast are to be observed on Ash Wednesday and on the Friday of the Passion and Death of Our Lord Jesus Christ.

Canon 1252 All persons who have completed their fourteenth year are bound by the law of abstinence; all adults are bound by the law of fast up to the beginning of their sixtieth year. Nevertheless, pastors and parents are to see to it that minors who are not bound by the law of fast and abstinence are educated in an authentic sense of penance.

Can. 1253 It is for the conference of bishops to determine more precisely the observance of fast and abstinence and to substitute in whole or in part for fast and abstinence other forms of penance, especially works of charity and exercises of piety.

The Church, therefore, has two forms of official penitential practices - three if the Eucharistic fast before Communion is included.

Abstinence The law of abstinence requires a Catholic 14 years of age until death to abstain from eating meat on Fridays in honor of the Passion of Jesus on Good Friday. Meat is considered to be the flesh and organs of mammals and fowl. Moral theologians have traditionally considered this also to forbid soups or gravies made from them. Salt and freshwater species of fish, amphibians, reptiles and shellfish are permitted, as are animal-derived products such as gelatin, butter, cheese and eggs, which do not have any meat taste.

On the Fridays outside of Lent the U.S. bishops conference obtained the permission of the Holy See for Catholics in the US to substitute a penitential, or even a charitable, practice of their own choosing. Since this was not stated as binding under pain of sin, not to do so on a single occasion would not in itself be sinful. However, since penance is a divine command, the general refusal to do penance is certainly gravely sinful. For most people the easiest way to consistently fulfill this command is the traditional one, to abstain from meat on all Fridays of the year which are not liturgical solemnities. When solemnities, such as the Annunciation, Assumption, All Saints etc. fall on a Friday, we

pls do not mislead people your church is the ROMAN catholic church eeh.

all these papal bulls mean nothing to others.

focus on your personal relationship with God and not defending your church.
remember the man who stretched forth his hand to steady the ark and died right there, as the prophet says let the God that answers by fire be God.
Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by LordReed(m): 8:35am On Mar 29, 2013
It is funny how the Catholic Church tells us that the Eucharist is the flesh of Christ and give mass celebrants to eat every mass and then turn around and say don't eat meat on friday because it symbolizes the flesh of Christ. Why is it wrong to eat the same flesh of Christ on Easter Friday that you have been eating during mass all year long?

1 Like

Re: Eating Meat On Good Friday! by Nobody: 10:15am On Mar 29, 2013
chelseabmw: IF I SEE MEAT TOMORROW I GO FLEX AM,ABI E DEY FOR BIBLE SAY MAKE WE NOR CHOP MEAT?PLEASE LET ME KNOW OOO

NEVER: NOT IN THE BIBLE AND CHRIST NEVER COMMANDED SUCH. ITS JUST ONE OF THE SO MANY SCRIPTURAL PRACTICES THAT IS SO ALIEN TO CHRISTIANITY ITSELF.

EAT ALL MANNERS OF MEATS U SO DESIRE TODAY.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Mathematics Professor John Lennox Destroys Shallow Atheist Reasoning / Faith Healers Who Couldn't Heal Themselves. / 10 Things Muslims Don't Want 'Infidels' Knowing About Islam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.