Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,491 members, 7,819,785 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:20 PM

Questions For Frosbel On Tithing - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Questions For Frosbel On Tithing (12116 Views)

A Theological Discuss On Tithing By Rhymeyjohn, Image123, Mark Miwerds & Candour / Inviting Tithers To A Theological Discuss with Miwerds and Candour On Tithing / Anti-Deity of Yahshua: Please Kindly Help Frosbel Answer This (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Questions For Frosbel On Tithing by Goshen360(m): 12:59pm On Mar 31, 2013
Image123:
Tithing is a form of giving, remember? Not all forms of giving are sustainable, that's why the practice of having all things in common didn't last. Do you practice this new testament form of giving, abi na so so mouth you get?

Sometimes, I think someone else is using your handle to comment because the things you say sometimes baffle me. Yes, tithing is a form of giving and so is 1% a form of giving. Do you agree with that also? What you still hold onto is the FIXED 10 PERCENT. I keep saying, THAT 10 PERCENT WAS NEVER WRITTEN TO THE CHURCH IN THE FIRST PLACE. Tithe was given to train the Israel in the way of GIVING and SHARING. That's what you read the Apostles practiced without A FIXED 10 PERCENT.

Image123, teach God's people to take away the FIXED 10 PERCENT and it becomes Grace based giving and sharing according to the New Testament. I have challenged you or Bidam, if your tithe is done in God's way, you should have seen the blessings of Malachi 3:8-10 visible in your life, if not, you're simply doing something wrong. God cannot do what he had not promised to you. The reason many pay tithe and are still a borrower is because the promise of tithe in Malachi 3:8-10 WASN'T DIRECTED TO THEM, THE CHURCH. Don't expect God to keep what he didn't promise you!

2 Likes

Re: Questions For Frosbel On Tithing by Goshen360(m): 2:18pm On Mar 31, 2013
King James 2000 Bible (©2003)
For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law. Hebrews 7:12

One of the ways to unloose the truth is doing word studies on the original text. I'm going to do quick word study. The whole context of Hebrew 7 is to testify to the truth that, when the Levites who owns the tithe is gone, the tithe itself is gone. There's no cherry picking the priesthood is gone and the tithe remains - the Levitical priesthood have the commandment TO TAKE TITHE ACCORDING TO THE LAW. Therefore, if those I'm to give the tithe to is abolished, then the commandment too is abolished. Exactly what Hebrews 7:12 says. Let do a quick word study to see what "change" means.

Here, http://www.blueletterbible.org/Bible.cfm?b=Hbr&c=7&v=12&t=KJV#12 I open the text, Hebrews 7:12 in KJV that is keyed into Strong's concordance. And here: http://www.blueletterbible.org/Bible.cfm?b=Hbr&c=7&v=12&t=KJV#conc/12 I opened the concordance to give us the meaning. "BEING CHANGED" is the Greek word #3346, metatithēmi and it means,

1) to transpose (two things, one of which is put in place of the other)
a) to transfer
b) to change
c) to transfer one's self or suffer one's self to be transferred

1) to go or pass over

2) to fall away or desert from one person or thing to another

It is the same Greek word #3346 used by the Apostle Paul that means "REMOVED" in Galatians 1:6 saying,

I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:

And the second use of "change" which is of necessity is the Greek word with Strong's #G3331 and it has its root word or etymology in #3346 metathesis and it means 1) transfer: from one place to another 2) to change a) of things instituted or established. By its etymology, it is the same word used by the writer of Hebrews in Hebrews 12:27 that also means "REMOVING",

And this [word], Yet once more, signifieth the removing of those things that are shaken, as of things that are made, that those things which cannot be shaken may remain.

Therefore, by the meaning of Hebrews 7:12, the entire Levitical priesthood is REMOVED and REPLACED with the priesthood of Christ and also the priesthood of believers because it only a shadow of good things to come and not the very substance, Hebrews 10:1 - there MUST also be of necessity a change (REMOVAL) also of the LAW. To distort the truth in Hebrews 7 is to destroy the word of God. The priesthood is gone, so are the laws governing it including the law of tithing to them.
Re: Questions For Frosbel On Tithing by Nobody: 2:20pm On Mar 31, 2013
Goshen360:
Image123, teach God's people to take away the FIXED 10 PERCENT and it becomes Grace based giving and sharing according to the New Testament. I have challenged you or Bidam, if your tithe is done in God's way, you should have seen the blessings of Malachi 3:8-10 visible in your life, if not, you're simply doing something wrong. God cannot do what he had not promised to you. The reason many pay tithe and are still a borrower is because the promise of tithe in Malachi 3:8-10 WASN'T DIRECTED TO THEM, THE CHURCH. Don't expect God to keep what he didn't promise you!
You think so? ever heard of John D Rockefeller? He said and i quote “I never would have been able to tithe the first million dollars I ever made if I had not tithed my first salary, which was $1.50 per week.”
— John D. Rockefeller is a good example of consistency since you don't believe you can google him if you like.
Re: Questions For Frosbel On Tithing by Goshen360(m): 2:34pm On Mar 31, 2013
Bidam: You think so? ever heard of John D Rockefeller? He said and i quote “I never would have been able to tithe the first million dollars I ever made if I had not tithed my first salary, which was $1.50 per week.”
— John D. Rockefeller is a good example of consistency since you don't believe you can google him if you like.

If you rely on google and other people's personal issue to enforce a LAW on others, that's you own personal interpretation. Whatever John D. Rockefeller does is his personal money. He had given according to his grace. He is NOT an example for the Church, Christ and the Apostles are.

I don't understand why you pick someone in your greed to show us as example. Is his name written in scriptures for us to follow after? If Christ and the Apostle NEVER taught tithe to the church and you're doing such, simply, you're going BEYOND what is written in scripture and as if what is written in scriptures isn't enough for you, then you have to lift John D. Rockefeller to support your tithe teaching. I don't covet no man's riches\wealth neither does the church of God.

May God help you!

1 Like

Re: Questions For Frosbel On Tithing by Alwaystrue(f): 2:39pm On Mar 31, 2013
Happy Easter to you all. May we continually remember the good gift Christ gave us through Hs death.

@Goshen,
The law that changed was the priesthood springing from another tribe, it is so easy to understand yet you chose to complicate it. That is why Paul explained that Melchisedek received tithe even though He wasn't a levite and Jesus is a priest after tha same order. Jesus has said that those preaching the gospel should live of this same principle. I quoted scriptures yet all you have posted are assumptions. The Levitical priesthood was not hinged on tithe, they were given tithe as their wages for service. Paul took wages of other churches because those he was preaching to did not give.
No matter your semantics, tithe is meant for God's service as far back as Abraham's period. So do as you please.

@Zikky, I showed scripture, with no reference to Pastor, since you now term my bible as pastor then so be it. I said leave me and continue with your head knowledge and personal thoughts on tithe afterall, we are not answerable to each other.
Let God be the judge of all our motives as no man can do that.

@Drummaboy, I hope you still come around to the thread. Taking offense because a car was bought for your pastor is unfortunate. Saying things like let's see if they don't have enough money,they will not think of buying a car is a serious statement. if th from a wrong hart reason why you chose not to tithe is because of that, then let God's word be the judge. God bless.
Re: Questions For Frosbel On Tithing by Alwaystrue(f): 2:40pm On Mar 31, 2013
Happy Easter to you all. May we continually remember the good gift Christ gave us through Hs death.

@Goshen,
The law that changed was the priesthood springing from another tribe, it is so easy to understand yet you chose to complicate it. That is why Paul explained that Melchisedek received tithe even though He wasn't a levite and Jesus is a priest after tha same order. Jesus has said that those preaching the gospel should live of this same principle. I quoted scriptures yet all you have posted are assumptions. The Levitical priesthood was not hinged on tithe, they were given tithe as their wages for service. Paul took wages of other churches because those he was preaching to did not give.
No matter your semantics, tithe is meant for God's service as far back as Abraham's period. So do as you please.

@Zikky, I showed scripture, with no reference to Pastor, since you now term my bible as pastor then so be it. I said leave me and continue with your head knowledge and personal thoughts on tithe afterall, we are not answerable to each other.
Let God be the judge of all our motives as no man can do that.

@Drummaboy, I hope you still come around to the thread. Taking offense because a car was bought for your pastor is unfortunate. Saying things like let's see if they don't have enough money,they will not think of buying a car is a serious statement. if that is reason why you chose not to tithe is because of that, then let God's word be the judge. God bless.
Re: Questions For Frosbel On Tithing by Nobody: 2:45pm On Mar 31, 2013
Goshen360:

If you rely on google and other people's personal issue to enforce a LAW on others, that's you own personal interpretation. Whatever John D. Rockefeller does is his personal money. He had given according to his grace. He is NOT an example for the Church, Christ and the Apostles are.

I don't understand why you pick someone in your greed to show us as example. Is his name written in scriptures for us to follow after? If Christ and the Apostle NEVER taught tithe to the church and you're doing such, simply, you're going BEYOND what is written in scripture and as if what is written in scriptures isn't enough for you, then you have to lift John D. Rockefeller to support your tithe teaching. I don't covet no man's riches\wealth neither does the church of God.

May God help you!
God has helped me..I don't NEED your prayers..keep deceiving and being deceived..i have said my piece..did i detect annoyance in your post? grin grin grin I HAVE THE CAPACITY TO CONTAIN YOUR OFFENSES BRO..
Re: Questions For Frosbel On Tithing by Nobody: 2:49pm On Mar 31, 2013
christemmbassey: Pls dont follow Abraham, the christian is better than Abraham. . The christian is born again, Abraham was not.

Hi,

This is not the kind of teachings that is to be found amongst the children of God.
Re: Questions For Frosbel On Tithing by Nobody: 2:52pm On Mar 31, 2013
I am beginning to see this TITHE dogma as a strong hold in the lives of some people.

Despite beautiful bible exposition with the provision of numerous detailed and self-explanatory bible verses, the tithe believers will not drop this LIE.

I think this is for 2 reasons :

1. For the Tithe preacher - to maintain his church, pay his salary, bills and trips etc. Without the Tithe, he will have to work or rely totally on faith and not the sheeple.

2. For the Tithe Payer - to obtain monetary blessings and financial gain and prevent financial loss.

My pity is for those in No.2 who see giving as a way of getting back more money , not for the meeting of real needs of real people and expecting nothing back in return.

Have they forgotten that our blessing is not based on Tithe but :

Ephesians 1:3
3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ.

Or could it be that for these people spiritual blessings are not as significant as financial reward ?
Re: Questions For Frosbel On Tithing by Zikkyy(m): 2:58pm On Mar 31, 2013
Bidam: You think so? ever heard of John D Rockefeller? He said and i quote “I never would have been able to tithe the first million dollars I ever made if I had not tithed my first salary, which was $1.50 per week.”

No wonder you have been tithing recklessly grin you want to hammer like Rockefeller abi? So what your status now? Do you now have shares in any oil company?

1 Like

Re: Questions For Frosbel On Tithing by Zikkyy(m): 3:05pm On Mar 31, 2013
frosbel:

Or could it be that for these people spiritual blessings are not as significant as financial reward ?

Yes for some people. You have to solve immediate problems first. Spiritual blessing is for long term.
Re: Questions For Frosbel On Tithing by Nobody: 3:19pm On Mar 31, 2013
Zikkyy:

No wonder you have been tithing recklessly grin you want to hammer like Rockefeller abi? So what your status now? Do you now have shares in any oil company?
grin grin grin I DON LAFF TIRE HERE SO THAT'S WHAT YOU THINK ABI? FOR ME GIVING IS A PROOF I HAVE CONQUERED GREED..OF COURSE I EXERCISE MY FAITH TO EXPECT GOD TO BLESS ME COS IT IS SCRIPTURAL. HE GIVES SEEDS TO THE SOWER AND BREAD TO THE EATER...AS LONG AS THE EARTH REMAINETH SEED TIME AND HARVEST TIME SHALL NOT CEASE..THE LIBERAL SOUL SHALL BE MADE FAT..GIVING IS AN ACT OF FAITH.
Re: Questions For Frosbel On Tithing by Goshen360(m): 3:25pm On Mar 31, 2013
Alwaystrue: Happy Easter to you all. May we continually remember the good gift Christ gave us through Hs death.

@Goshen,
The law that changed was the priesthood springing from another tribe, it is so easy to understand yet you chose to complicate it. That is why Paul explained that Melchisedek received tithe even though He wasn't a levite and Jesus is a priest after tha same order. Jesus has said that those preaching the gospel should live of this same principle. I quoted scriptures yet all you have posted are assumptions. The Levitical priesthood was not hinged on tithe, they were given tithe as their wages for service. Paul took wages of other churches because those he was preaching to did not give. No matter your semantics, tithe is meant for God's service as far back as Abraham's period. So do as you please.

1. If the change was the priesthood springing from another tribe, then what happens to the law that governs the Old priesthood where the change was made from? Say it in whatever way you wanna say it, you will still need to tell us what happens to the law? Does it still remain? The law that also governs the Old priesthood that the change was made from are many. Tithe is one of them, what happens to them? Does it still remain?

2. Jesus has said that those preaching the gospel should live of this same principle. I quoted scriptures yet all you have posted are assumptions.

Yes, I have dealt with exposition on this verse before. Jesus said say but go back to where Jesus said it and see if he mentioned tithe. Whenever any person or Old Testament is quoted, you have to go back to context before you can apply it properly in where it is quoted in the New Testament otherwise, you will be quoting and applying out of context. Go, back to where Jesus said it, you will realize it is "WHATEVER THEY GIVE YOU".....when you preach the gospel. Paul was making a parallel comparison between those of Old who minister at the temple and those who preach the gospel that Jesus commanded. I don't have much time, I can look for that exposition and show you in context.

3. Paul took wages BUT not as TITHE neither by people tithing to him or any of the Apostles.

4. No matter your semantics, tithe is meant for God's service as far back as Abraham's period.

Coming back to my first question? Was Abraham obeying ANY law of tithing? When AND WHERE IN SCRIPTURES did Abraham's tithing BECAME A LAW FOR CHRISTIANS TO FOLLOW AND TITHE BY FIXED TEN PERCENT? You will need to show us please.
Re: Questions For Frosbel On Tithing by Image123(m): 3:28pm On Mar 31, 2013
There should be an emoticon for shaking the head in deep pity.
Re: Questions For Frosbel On Tithing by Goshen360(m): 3:28pm On Mar 31, 2013
Bidam: grin grin grin I DON LAFF TIRE HERE SO THAT'S WHAT YOU THINK ABI? FOR ME GIVING IS A PROOF I HAVE CONQUERED GREED..OF COURSE I EXERCISE MY FAITH TO EXPECT GOD TO BLESS ME COS IT IS SCRIPTURAL. HE GIVES SEEDS TO THE SOWER AND BREAD TO THE EATER...AS LONG AS THE EARTH REMAINETH SEED TIME AND HARVEST TIME SHALL NOT CEASE..THE LIBERAL SOUL SHALL BE MADE FAT..GIVING IS AN ACT OF FAITH.

grin grin grin Abeg to sidon joor. Show us room that doesn't contain your blessings! Otherwise, the promises of Malachi 3:8-10 is not evidence in your life. God cannot fulfill the promises that wasn't applied to you. You're deceiving yourself and making God a liar.
Re: Questions For Frosbel On Tithing by Goshen360(m): 3:30pm On Mar 31, 2013
Image123: There should be an emoticon for shaking the head in deep pity.

First time I ever AGREE with you 100% and so that we can shake our head for you in deep pity grin e-hugs cool
Re: Questions For Frosbel On Tithing by sylve11: 4:02pm On Mar 31, 2013
DrummaBoy: Hi Frosbel,

But there are some questions still remain on why tithing may be justifiable. And they include
1. Abraham payed tithe to a type of Christ in Genesis 14 and Hebrew 7 lent a word to it. And if Abraham is the father of faith, whose faith we are called to imitate, Romans 4, is this not a veritable reason to tithe?

Man get this fact right and to the rest of u tithers,d reason Abraham gave a tenth was becos of God's deliverance from his enemies. We would call this tenth, "a thank offering". Tithing was never a part of the Abrahamic covenant.

Abraham did not give tithe to Melchizedek from his personal possessions but from the spoils of war after rescuing Lot. Therefore we can see dat Abraham wasn't following an unwritten tithe law when he gave tithe to the King of Salem. And besides, d Levitical tithe law didn't include "spoils of war." Tithing was not a part of the Abrahamic covenant. See, Gen 17.

Also remember that d tithe law was enacted by God at Sinai Num. 18:25-26 (NIV) and given only to Israel as an Old Covenant command which ended at Calvary. God never included d tithe law in the New Covenant.

cool cool cool cool

1 Like

Re: Questions For Frosbel On Tithing by Goshen360(m): 4:20pm On Mar 31, 2013
sylve11:

Man get this fact right and to the rest of u tithers,d reason Abraham gave a tenth was becos of God's deliverance from his enemies. We would call this tenth, "a thank offering". Tithing was never a part of the Abrahamic covenant.

Abraham did not give tithe to Melchizedek from his personal possessions but from the spoils of war after rescuing Lot. Therefore we can see dat Abraham wasn't following an unwritten tithe law when he gave tithe to the King of Salem. And besides, d Levitical tithe law didn't include "spoils of war." Tithing was not a part of the Abrahamic covenant. See, Gen 17.

Also remember that d tithe law was enacted by God at Sinai Num. 18:25-26 (NIV) and given only to Israel as an Old Covenant command which ended at Calvary. God never included d tithe law in the New Covenant.

cool cool cool cool

THIS IS THE GOSPEL TRUTH
Re: Questions For Frosbel On Tithing by alexleo(m): 6:48pm On Mar 31, 2013
Goshen360:

grin grin grin Abeg to sidon joor. Show us room that doesn't contain your blessings! Otherwise, the promises of Malachi 3:8-10 is not evidence in your life. God cannot fulfill the promises that wasn't applied to you. You're deceiving yourself and making God a liar.

john 14;14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, i will do it.

Now i ask, is it anything you have asked in the name of Jesus that he did for you? Thats the mystery of God. If somebody says God is blessing him why do you doubt him by saying his storehouse hasn't overflowed as promised in Malachi?
Re: Questions For Frosbel On Tithing by alexleo(m): 6:55pm On Mar 31, 2013
sylve11:

cool cool cool cool

YOU HAVE JUST GIVEN YOUR OWN UNDERSTANDING ABOUT TITHE AND ITS PURELY YOUR OWN. IN ALL THE PLACES THAT TITHE WAS MENTIONED IN THE NEW TESTAMENT, WHERE DID IT SAY THAT TITHING IS NOW ABOLISHED? ITS YOU PEOPLE THAT ARE CONCOCTING THE WHOLE THING ABOUT TITHE BEING ABOLISHED AND NOT THE BIBLE
Re: Questions For Frosbel On Tithing by garyarnold(m): 6:57pm On Mar 31, 2013
What a shame. All this so-called study leading to little or no understanding.

THE FIRST TITHE
Leviticus 27:30-33 defines this tithe as a tenth of crops and animals in herds and flocks.
Numbers 18 gives the ordinances, or instructions, for this tithe, and commands this tithe be taken to the Levites.
Purpose of this tithe: to support the Levitical Priesthood.

SECOND TITHE
Deuteronomy 14:22-27: aka The Festival Tithe - a tenth of crops, plus add to that the firstborn animals, and take to the yearly feasts.
Purpose of this tithe: “that thou mayest learn to fear the LORD thy God always”

THIRD TITHE
Deuteronomy 14:28-29: aka The Three-Year Tithe aka The Poor Tithe - a tenth of crops, kept at home, and invite the Levites, widows, orphans, stranger to eat.
Purpose of this tithe: to feed the poor.

Only ONE of those tithes did God claim to be His, and He gave it to the Levites. That is the first tithe.

The first tithe was not paid. The first tithe was not given (as in gift). The first tithe was TAKEN.

When God gave the Israelites the promised land, He RESERVED, for Himself, a tenth of the crops and every tenth animal. They NEVER did belong to the Israelites. In other words, the tithe was from God's increase of FOOD, not from man's income. It was a way to distribute FOOD to the Levites and priests who did NOT inherit any land.

No one, not even the farmers, tithed from their income.

The farmers made their income by SELLING and/or barter-exchanging their crops and animals but did NOT tithe on that income.

God's tithe was never money. God's tithe never came from anyone's income.

And then Abram's tenth. Read Genesis 14. Abram gave it all away. He kept nothing for himself. No example in scripture of Abraham ever giving, paying, or taking a tenth from his income or property. Just the one example of giving, not paying or taking, a tenth of the spoils to Melchizedek. To say Abram did this out of faith is adding to the scriptures. To give a tenth of your income to the church and say you are following Abraham's example is just plain dishonest.

Today, ALL born-again believers are priests. ALL of us are called to be disciples of the Lord. No one of us is greater than another. Our bodies are the Temple where the Spirit dwells. According to the scriptures, priests do not tithe.

2 Likes

Re: Questions For Frosbel On Tithing by Image123(m): 7:26pm On Mar 31, 2013
Goshen360:

THIS IS THE GOSPEL TRUTH
Fortunately, say no to tithe is not the gospel truth but rather another gospel.
Re: Questions For Frosbel On Tithing by Goshen360(m): 7:29pm On Mar 31, 2013
alexleo:

john 14;14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, i will do it.

Now i ask, is it anything you have asked in the name of Jesus that he did for you? Thats the mystery of God. If somebody says God is blessing him why do you doubt him by saying his storehouse hasn't overflowed as promised in Malachi?

It's quite simple my brother. If God has said that to the church, he will perform it to fullest. Not seeing the promise of Malachi as evidence is the testimony that God will not perform what he had not spoken except we want to make God a liar but like I said, I challenge you, look at the promise of Malachi again and see if it's coming to past in the lives of tithers.
Re: Questions For Frosbel On Tithing by Image123(m): 7:33pm On Mar 31, 2013
one would expect that folks like zikky, debo, gosh and co would correct gariarnod and explain their way to him more perfectly like Aquila Priscilla Apollos style, but no they'd agree with, like and fully endorse it as far as the summary is antitithe. And the cycle starts yet again.
Re: Questions For Frosbel On Tithing by Nobody: 7:38pm On Mar 31, 2013
garyarnold:
Today, ALL born-again believers are priests. ALL of us are called to be disciples of the Lord. No one of us is greater than another. Our bodies are the Temple where the Spirit dwells. According to the scriptures, priests do not tithe.
Your arguments against tithing is WEAK God has always intended the children of Isreal to be priest from day one.

For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God, and the
LORD hath chosen thee to be a peculiar people unto himself,
above all the nations that are upon the earth. (Deuteronomy 14:2)

It appears that in 1 Peter 2:9, Peter merely summarizes these Old Testament passages that were originally spoken to Israel, and applies them to the Christians: "But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light."

Peter is citing Old Testament passages that in their original contexts refer to the people of Israel. That is, even the Old Testament calls Israel "a kingdom of priests," and yet God had chosen from among the people the Levites to function as a professional clergy.What Ex. 19:6 says, 1 Peter 2:9 repeats.
Re: Questions For Frosbel On Tithing by DrummaBoy(m): 7:42pm On Mar 31, 2013
Garyarnold said it all: we are kings and priests unto out God in the NT. PRIEST DO NOT TITHE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Questions For Frosbel On Tithing by DrummaBoy(m): 7:53pm On Mar 31, 2013
@ Alwaystrue
I appreciate ur concern. My story cannot be contained on any NL page but let me try... I was saved in 1998. same year a brother told me I needed to tithe. I did without asking question. Later R T Keandal, in his book, WORSHIPPING GOD, introduced me to the doctrine of grace. he too encouraged tithing by using the Abraham's story in Gen 14. But some months ago I stumbled on Frosbel's argument against tithing using Abraham. I was interested bc I was in the midst of the crisis I had explained earlier. Goshen's exposition was even more convincing.
Now understand this: I am 36yrs of age been a Christian 15yrs. I am very critical as a person, no one but by God's Spirit could have led me to the conclusion I have reached on tithing.
Re: Questions For Frosbel On Tithing by DrummaBoy(m): 8:05pm On Mar 31, 2013
Now I still maintain that the issue is not even tithe but poor understanding of scripture, that is made worse by the proliferation of churches enslaved to the same tithe. The issue of when the law ended and when grace started and what it consist of dates back to the apostles days. It seem only Paul understood it well; even Peter given the vision in Act 9 still bundled the matter.
Image 123 said 'legalism... whatever that means' showing that basics understanding of what constitute legalism is lost on many arguing for tithe. Study Galatians or Colonial 2:16-23 to understand it better.
Tithing as taught in our churches today is legalistic. If it is not then free God's people to choose how they want to give to God.
Goshen has shown me all I need to see about Abraham tithing in Heb 7 and so need not follow kendall's on that one.
Nonetheless the debate it healthy and to the credit of everyone we have shown true Christian spirit by making the thread bereft of little or no insult. God bless you all and thanks again
Re: Questions For Frosbel On Tithing by DrummaBoy(m): 8:05pm On Mar 31, 2013
Now I still maintain that the issue is not even tithe but poor understanding of scripture, that is made worse by the proliferation of churches enslaved to the same tithe. The issue of when the law ended and when grace started and what it consist of dates back to the apostles days. It seem only Paul understood it well; even Peter given the vision in Act 9 still bundled the matter.
Image 123 said 'legalism... whatever that means' showing that basics understanding of what constitute legalism is lost on many arguing for tithe. Study Galatians or Colonial 2:16-23 to understand it better.
Tithing as taught in our churches today is legalistic. If it is not then free God's people to choose how they want to give to God.
Goshen has shown me all I need to see about Abraham tithing in Heb 7 and so need not follow kendall's on that one.
Nonetheless the debate it healthy and to the credit of everyone we have shown true Christian spirit by making the thread bereft of little or no insult. God bless you all and thanks again
Re: Questions For Frosbel On Tithing by Alwaystrue(f): 8:40pm On Mar 31, 2013
@Drummmaboy,
Thanks for returning to give a brief on where you are coming from.
Just as I believe you have read through all posts by everyone so far on your questions, it is safe to say that you are persuaded in your mind to do what you believe in.
Your issue as you said is not tithe but poor understanding of scripture by many who believe in touch not or taste not syndrome.
There are many things that people do nowadays that are not mixed with faith even though they are right (study I Cor.13), so my advice on this final note is to ensure you allow God to lead you in all your decisions, and give as you purpose in your heart whether alms, tithes, offerings, seeds, gifts etc and do so with the right heart. God bless.
Re: Questions For Frosbel On Tithing by garyarnold(m): 9:07pm On Mar 31, 2013
Let’s look at Malachi 3. First, who is God speaking to – the priests or the people?
We need to study the entire Book of Malachi rather than take a few verses out of context.

By the time we get to verse 6 in chapter 1, we see it is the priests that are being addressed at that point.

In both chapters 1 and 2 of Malachi there is a conversation going on between God and the priests. Every time the word "you" is used, it is referring to the priests. Chapter 3 continues with this conversation. In verse 5 God says "And I will come near to you to judgment….." In the Old Testament, during this period of time and generally speaking, only the priests could get near to God. It is only in the New Testament that born again believers, you and I, can get close to God. So up to chapter 3 verse 5, God is speaking to the priests. The word "you" is still referring to the priests. There is nothing in the scripture to indicate this changes when you get to verse 8. But that's not all.

Read Numbers 18:29-30 and then read Malachi 1:14. Those verses explain robbing God of the offerings. The PRIESTS, not the people, robbed God of the offering by giving to God the worst instead of the best.

In Nehemiah 13 we are told that the priests stole the Levites portion of the tithe; therefore, they had no food to eat at the temple, and they went back to their own fields.

Therefore, taking the Levites portion of the tithe is the robbing God of the tithe. Or to put it another way, THE LEVITES WERE ROBBED. God said He was robbed because the tithe was taken from the Levites.

Next, in Malachi 3:10 God says to bring all the tithes to the storehouse. The people took the tithes to the Levites who lived in the Levitical cities, not to the temple. The Levites took the required tithe of the tithe to the temple. (See Nehemiah 10:37-38) Only those tithes ever made it to the temple. The priests then took those tithes to the storehouse. It only makes sense if God is speaking to the priests in this verse.

Since in Numbers 18 God makes it perfectly clear that the tithe belongs to Him, and He gave it to the Levites, anyone who takes God’s tithe to their local church must also be robbing God since the Levites are not the ones getting it.

I see no way around this. Either the tithe ended per Hebrews 7:18, OR those who take God’s tithe to their local church must be robbing God since God gave clear instructions where to take His tithe. There is nothing in God’s Word to show that God ever changed those instructions. Therefore, the only conclusion I can reach is that taking a tithe to your local church is NOT paying the tithe to God. It is giving it to man. Nowhere in God’s Word does He give permission for the Christian Church to receive His tithe.

1 Like

Re: Questions For Frosbel On Tithing by truthislight: 9:22pm On Mar 31, 2013
Image123:
There is no such verses

yes there are verses that shows that tithing has ended!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Sexual Immorality____ Satan's Bait / Download Nigeria Gospel Praise And Worship Instrumental (by Naijachristians) / Can A Spirit Filled Christians Still Be Possessed By Demon(s)?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.