Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,018 members, 7,818,017 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:40 AM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (157) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1494551 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (154) (155) (156) (157) (158) (159) (160) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by fzero: 7:42am On May 16, 2015
abdulumar:

ponds lenght breadth depth
1 66.6 ft 33.3ft 5.7ft

2 66.6 ft 33.3ft 5.7ft

3 32 ft 32 ft 5.2ft

4 32 ft 32ft 5.2ft

5 32 ft 32ft 5.2ft

6 32 ft 32ft 5.2ft
choi..
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by aumoria(m): 9:30am On May 16, 2015
Fhemmmy:

Thanks.... but what is the rent?
3k/month
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by cross234(m): 11:25am On May 16, 2015
pls to all mt ogas in d house, pls I am having issues wit my Well water so I hav no choice dan to be using River water for nw so pls wht can I be using to be treating d water before use bcs d fishes are jst 2weeks old from hashing. thks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 11:32am On May 16, 2015
abdulumar:
Hello all, hope the farms are coming along fine... Sorry to hear about the loss... I Pray you get better outcome in the subsequent run.... I started selling my fish today.... Sold 291kg.... (367 fish) on average they are about. 0.8kg. On month 5..... Don't want to wait no more.....

Still have approx 35tonnes left
Good day, can we discuss terms of sales. Here is my mobile 08054621673. Tnx
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by amadex(m): 12:31pm On May 16, 2015
Gud pm my ogas! Av searched everywia bt couldn't get 1.8mm and Av bn feeding Dem with 1mm..... Pls any advice on any oda alternative 2 1.8mm?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 6:07pm On May 16, 2015
amadex:
Gud pm my ogas! Av searched everywia bt couldn't get 1.8mm and Av bn feeding Dem with 1mm..... Pls any advice on any oda alternative 2 1.8mm?

Use 2mm, but watch if they are able to pick it.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by umunnatim(m): 6:42pm On May 16, 2015
my oga in the house good evening sir, please i have a question, Formulated local feed and vital feed (9mm), which of them gives more weight to fishes?I need a buyer for Up to 1,000kg, my farm is in Warri.Thanks.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 9:37pm On May 16, 2015
[b]Greetings to all my bosses here and all protocol duly observe .I have few hitches here and I need help Asap. Againt my next hatching. My first hatching ... I fed with Artemia for 2weeks then 0.3 coupens, followed by 0.5 coupens ,and 0.8 coupen ,and then they can feed like 4 to 5times a day Without any problem. But this recent batch I fed them with Artemia 5days, Then 0.2 coupens for like 1 week and I discovered the 0.2 coupen was changing the body of those fries(albino like) so I stopped from there I continued with durante 0.5 because I could not get 0.3 coupens in the market... Now my observation after feeding them with 0.5 Durante. They hardly feed more than 2 times a day Its either they don't eat the rest Or some dying. What could be the problem and please help suggest the best feed starting from 5days old to juvenile which feed and sizes do u recommend and the interval to be given. Thanks.[b]Greetings to all my bosses here and all protocol duly observe .I have few hitches here and I need help Asap. Againt my next hatching. My first hatching ... I fed with Artemia for 2weeks then 0.3 coupens, followed by 0.5 coupens ,and 0.8 coupen ,and then they can feed like 4 to 5times a day Without any problem. But this recent batch I fed them with Artemia 5days, Then 0.2 coupens for like 1 week and I discovered the 0.2 coupen was changing the body of those fries(albino like) so I stopped from there I continued with durante 0.5 because I could not get 0.3 coupens in the market... Now my observation after feeding them with 0.5 Durante. They hardly feed more than 2 times a day Its either they don't eat the rest Or some dying. What could be the problem and please help suggest the best feed starting from 5days old to juvenile which feed and sizes do u recommend and the interval to be given. Thanks.[/b]Greetings to all my bosses here and all protocol duly observe .I have few hitches here and I need help Asap. Againt my next hatching. My first hatching ... I fed with Artemia for 2weeks then 0.3 coupens, followed by 0.5 coupens ,and 0.8 coupen ,and then they can feed like 4 to 5times a day Without any problem. But this recent batch I fed them with Artemia 5days, Then 0.2 coupens for like 1 week and I discovered the 0.2 coupen was changing the body of those fries(albino like) so I stopped from there I continued with durante 0.5 because I could not get 0.3 coupens in the market... Now my observation after feeding them with 0.5 Durante. They hardly feed more than 2 times a day Its either they don't eat the rest Or some dying. What could be the problem and please help suggest the best feed starting from 5days old to juvenile which feed and sizes do u recommend and the interval to be given. Thanks.[/b]
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by amadex(m): 11:22pm On May 16, 2015
robonski15:

Use 2mm, but watch if they are able to pick it.

10x boss
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by umunnatim(m): 7:44am On May 17, 2015
umunnatim:
my oga in the house good evening sir, please i have a question, Formulated local feed and vital feed (9mm), which of them gives more weight to fishes?I need a buyer for Up to 1,000kg, my farm is in Warri.Thanks.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by abdulumar: 7:50am On May 17, 2015
I greet everyone.... pls i am looking for where i can find plastic mesh in Nigeria... I have been calling a few plastic companies with no luck. If it is possible to get variant mesh sizes of 1/2", 3/4"and 1" with associated prices it would be really appreciated.

Referrals, contacts, anything on how to get it. I want to see if i can use it to partition my ponds...

Thanks all...

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by jaz(m): 9:26am On May 17, 2015
Any reason y u wan partition the pond
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by manya(m): 10:21am On May 17, 2015
Good morning every one in this thread. All protocols duly observed. With regards to all masters and ogas in the house i beg your pardon to introduce myself to the house as this is the first time i am commenting on this thread.
I am a Fish farmer from Bauchi with 1 and half years experience. When i started, one man helped me bought juvenile from Abuja. secondly from Minna. and thirdly from bauchi. So i began to understand that some fish used to do better than others in terms of quick growth and healthiness. currently the fish i have in my farm were bought from Minna, they are more than five months in my ponds but not up to 500g. I decided to hatch in my farm this time around that i want to stock again for the fifth time.
Now i want you guys to help me in getting good broodstocks that can yield fast growing and healthy fingerlings to start my first hatching in my farm. secondly, i want to stock 3000 juveniles before my hatched ones grow up to ensure continuity of supply to my customers. so where and how can i get those good juveniles that can grow within 4 months all conditions being equal.
lastly i want to attend hatching training if i can have one.
thank you all.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by hisableplc(m): 2:21pm On May 17, 2015
abdulumar:

Minna, Niger State

some day will come visiting keep the flag flying
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 2:33pm On May 17, 2015
adebajo11:
[b]Greetings to all my bosses here and all protocol duly observe .I have few hitches here and I need help Asap. Againt my next hatching. My first hatching ... I fed with Artemia for 2weeks then 0.3 coupens, followed by 0.5 coupens ,and 0.8 coupen ,and then they can feed like 4 to 5times a day Without any problem. But this recent batch I fed them with Artemia 5days, Then 0.2 coupens for like 1 week and I discovered the 0.2 coupen was changing the body of those fries(albino like) so I stopped from there I continued with durante 0.5 because I could not get 0.3 coupens in the market... Now my observation after feeding them with 0.5 Durante. They hardly feed more than 2 times a day Its either they don't eat the rest Or some dying. What could be the problem and please help suggest the best feed starting from 5days old to juvenile which feed and sizes do u recommend and the interval to be given. Thanks.[b]Greetings to all my bosses here and all protocol duly observe .I have few hitches here and I need help Asap. Againt my next hatching. My first hatching ... I fed with Artemia for 2weeks then 0.3 coupens, followed by 0.5 coupens ,and 0.8 coupen ,and then they can feed like 4 to 5times a day Without any problem. But this recent batch I fed them with Artemia 5days, Then 0.2 coupens for like 1 week and I discovered the 0.2 coupen was changing the body of those fries(albino like) so I stopped from there I continued with durante 0.5 because I could not get 0.3 coupens in the market... Now my observation after feeding them with 0.5 Durante. They hardly feed more than 2 times a day Its either they don't eat the rest Or some dying. What could be the problem and please help suggest the best feed starting from 5days old to juvenile which feed and sizes do u recommend and the interval to be given. Thanks.[/b]Greetings to all my bosses here and all protocol duly observe .I have few hitches here and I need help Asap. Againt my next hatching. My first hatching ... I fed with Artemia for 2weeks then 0.3 coupens, followed by 0.5 coupens ,and 0.8 coupen ,and then they can feed like 4 to 5times a day Without any problem. But this recent batch I fed them with Artemia 5days, Then 0.2 coupens for like 1 week and I discovered the 0.2 coupen was changing the body of those fries(albino like) so I stopped from there I continued with durante 0.5 because I could not get 0.3 coupens in the market... Now my observation after feeding them with 0.5 Durante. They hardly feed more than 2 times a day Its either they don't eat the rest Or some dying. What could be the problem and please help suggest the best feed starting from 5days old to juvenile which feed and sizes do u recommend and the interval to be given. Thanks.[/b]
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by cross234(m): 3:10pm On May 17, 2015
cross234:
pls to all mt ogas in d house, pls I am having issues wit my Well water so I hav no choice dan to be using River water for nw so pls wht can I be using to be treating d water before use bcs d fishes are jst 2weeks old from hashing. thks

pls hlp me
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 7:40pm On May 17, 2015
@ cross,
I feel d first thing to do is to know d exact pH of the water.
I heard ppl use wood ash to treat after knowing d pH. The pH determines d quantity.

All ogas in d house, abeg appear and answer this question.

@abdulamar, u really tried ooo. I will advise next time, u stock ur fishes in batches till u get a bigger and steady market for ur fish. I will like to know how u fed them till 5 months. Did u use loval feed at anytime? The ppl DT sold u the juveniles can also link u to fish sellers with large capacity.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 7:42pm On May 17, 2015
@abdularmar, what could u have done to prevent d issue with the pond, plz share so DT we can learn.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 7:47pm On May 17, 2015
abdulumar:
I greet everyone.... pls i am looking for where i can find plastic mesh in Nigeria... I have been calling a few plastic companies with no luck. If it is possible to get variant mesh sizes of 1/2", 3/4"and 1" with associated prices it would be really appreciated.

Referrals, contacts, anything on how to get it. I want to see if i can use it to partition my ponds...

Thanks all...

I will get contacts of plastic producers so DT u can discus with them if they can produce such for u. I know Onitsha and nnewi shld be able to do such.

I still wonder how such can be used for partitioning.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 8:05pm On May 17, 2015
I will also want to know your cost of building a concrete earthen pond.
I need to compare it with the cost of building a pond DT is above ground level and compare it with other additional costs as draining water with water pump.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by abdulumar: 8:26pm On May 17, 2015
jaz:
Any reason y u wan partition the pond

Its associated with the challenge of sorting that i experienced. I have a 66ft pond which will undergo repairs soon.... trying to see if i can split it into 3 to aid my sorting process.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 8:38pm On May 17, 2015
manya:
Good morning every one in this thread. All protocols duly observed. With regards to all masters and ogas in the house i beg your pardon to introduce myself to the house as this is the first time i am commenting on this thread.
I am a Fish farmer from Bauchi with 1 and half years experience. When i started, one man helped me bought juvenile from Abuja. secondly from Minna. and thirdly from bauchi. So i began to understand that some fish used to do better than others in terms of quick growth and healthiness. currently the fish i have in my farm were bought from Minna, they are more than five months in my ponds but not up to 500g. I decided to hatch in my farm this time around that i want to stock again for the fifth time.
Now i want you guys to help me in getting good broodstocks that can yield fast growing and healthy fingerlings to start my first hatching in my farm. secondly, i want to stock 3000 juveniles before my hatched ones grow up to ensure continuity of supply to my customers. so where and how can i get those good juveniles that can grow within 4 months all conditions being equal.
thank you all.
@manya, how did the Juveniles from Abuja & Bauchi perform?.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by abdulumar: 9:13pm On May 17, 2015
mercylicious:
@ cross,
I feel d first thing to do is to know d exact pH of the water.
I heard ppl use wood ash to treat after knowing d pH. The pH determines d quantity.

All ogas in d house, abeg appear and answer this question.

@abdulamar, u really tried ooo. I will advise next time, u stock ur fishes in batches till u get a bigger and steady market for ur fish. I will like to know how u fed them till 5 months. Did u use loval feed at anytime? The ppl DT sold u the juveniles can also link u to fish sellers with large capacity.

Thanks for the advise. Building the contact base and market as we move along sold 1.6 tonnes thus far... currently have a service provider fabricating a smoking/drying kiln to preserve excess that cannot be sold immediately. As for feed; used Multifeed from the start.... got them at juvenile stage.

I am no expert.... though i have engaged a fisheries graduate and current test on feed type based on our assessment is that copens is our next target. heard its a bit pricey but it may be worth every kobo if its going to provide the results we need.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by abdulumar: 9:24pm On May 17, 2015
mercylicious:
I will also want to know your cost of building a concrete earthen pond.
I need to compare it with the cost of building a pond DT is above ground level and compare it with other additional costs as draining water with water pump.

The property was purchased with the ponds already constructed. To commence the project, we had to undertake repairs to the ponds... I have been told by several people that it was not the best design in the world and the site location as well was not great. As for draining the water, it is definately not cost effective to use a pump. Once we are done with this cycle, we are going to insert an overflow/drain mechanism to address the expenditure.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by abdulumar: 9:30pm On May 17, 2015
mercylicious:
@abdularmar, what could u have done to prevent d issue with the pond, plz share so DT we can learn.

The challenge i have faced during this cycle is an issue with water quality.... (i think it affected the results to a large extent)... However, we under estimated the size of the ponds and realized that the borehole we had on site could not service the ponds as required....

We have sunk another borehole.... muuuuuuchhh deeper and are about sorting out the overhead storage to ensure sufficient water availability.

The other one was an issue with placement of feed orders... there was a delay in delivery and for about 2 days could not feed the fish....

Interestingly... the mortality experienced is pretty low less than 30 from our count over the duration.... this is not including those that might have suffered being swallowed by the bigger fish grin grin.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by abdulumar: 9:34pm On May 17, 2015
mercylicious:

I will get contacts of plastic producers so DT u can discus with them if they can produce such for u. I know Onitsha and nnewi shld be able to do such.

I still wonder how such can be used for partitioning.

That will be highly appreciated. as for the partitions; they will be joined together.... plastic wont wear in water... i dont think the fish will break through it either. Its part of our research and development component...

I believe thats why we are here sharing ideas.... wink cool
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by abdulumar: 9:43pm On May 17, 2015
manya:
thank you all.

Welcome to the forum Manya!!!!! I am not really sure if the location (State) from which you secure your juveniles may determine success rates.... I think the key point is the service provider that supplied the juveniles.... I do business in Minna.... It will be sad if i produce juveniles and the market assumes that Minna aint got good juveniles....

Just an observation pls... Lets promote good work....
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by gspace1960(m): 9:53pm On May 17, 2015
4 dose dat want to go into melange productn i hav post friez(ijebu) 4 sell.......#4......dey wil b 4weekz by tuesday.......07060523565.......tankz
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by abdulumar: 10:00pm On May 17, 2015
gspace1960:
4 dose dat want to go into melange productn i hav post friez(ijebu) 4 sell.......#4......dey wil b 4weekz by tuesday.......07060523565.......tankz

Pls what is the fish size referred to as melange undecided
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by amadex(m): 10:12pm On May 17, 2015
cross234:

pls hlp me
dia is something we kal lime.. Liming d water is d best option
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Belexy(m): 10:30pm On May 17, 2015
abdulumar:

Thanks for the advise. Building the contact base and market as we move along sold 1.6 tonnes thus far... currently have a service provider fabricating a smoking/drying kiln to preserve excess that cannot be sold immediately. As for feed; used Multifeed from the start.... got them at juvenile stage.

I am no expert.... though i have engaged a fisheries graduate and current test on feed type based on our assessment is that copens is our next target. heard its a bit pricey but it may be worth every kobo if its going to provide the results we need.

Glad to know you are gradually selling off the fishes. Just thought i should point out that it might not be a good idea to use coppens from start to finish due to how expensive the feed is now. There are other cheaper feeds which are just as good as coppens and which will be able to give you your desired results and thus increase your profit margin. Farm management matters alot in determing the final size of ur fishes at harvest.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 10:30pm On May 17, 2015
abdulumar:

Pls what is the fish size referred to as melange undecided
@abdulumar, melange is size after Jumbo. Some say 4-5months from Hatching. 2-3months from post fingerlings. An average of btw 300g - 500g will pass as Melange. Tnx

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (154) (155) (156) (157) (158) (159) (160) ... (523) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.