Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,442 members, 7,816,016 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:34 PM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (166) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1493484 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (163) (164) (165) (166) (167) (168) (169) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by BELEXYFARMS(m): 4:37pm On Jun 12, 2015
JuveFarms:

Everyone must not be a fish farmer, whereby they stock 200fishes to test the waters & learn. That's why there are experienced people in the business to guide them. No wonder Nigeria keeps importing fishes, everyone wants to start small, make mistake & run. Catfish farming spins money if done "properly". Tnx

Its not about making mistakes and running. Its about not making costly mistakes that can ruin a person's life totally. We need to take risks in business but those risks should be calculated risks. If a man puts in all his life savings into fish farming and he loses it all bcoz of his lack of experience or maybe the person he got to manage the farm for him doesnt put in his best then u knw how d story will end. Why i always say people should start small is bcoz it gives them a feel of the business. It will help them decide if dey wanna continue in it and expand or not. It will help them to tackle problems that will arise before it becomes full blown. There are too many fairy tales abt profit making in fish farming on d internet. Let dem face reality on a small scale and see if dey can cope wt it or not. I still say it, fish farming is not 'money spinning' . It takes alot of hard work, dedication, perseverance and patience before it becomes money spinning. And as u rightly said, it needs to be done properly. A lot of people will come to this thread and read it frm page 1 to the end and then they want to stock 5000 fishes as a newbie bcoz they can make 2.5million naira from it. They are just concerned abt the 2.5M... All dey can see when they see their fishes is money swimming in d water. At the end of the day, they will most likely lose alot of money and dey wont av money to even start afresh on a smaller scale. Its always better to start small and then expand. Even if d person will employ a consultant, its still good to be knowledgeable about your business especially when investing ur savings on a business dats new to u.

#this is just my opinion. We are all bound to differ in our views.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by atoleybaba(m): 6:52pm On Jun 12, 2015
In ikd...1kg goes for 480naira d least a farmer can go....my dad uses aqua feed from 2months(it gives them big shape or makes them fat) then 3days to harvest, he uses ziegler.(damn that feed normally works wonder as it gives d fish mad weight strong and sturborn) the buyers are always asking my dad's manager that " Isaac shey u dy give DX ur fish ogogoro" another thing that works for DX biz is that buyers loves long fish with big heads. Then another thing I noticed is that u make ur complete money if ur fish weigh 1-2kg....the 2kg(big fish) buyers normally clear ur pond. I think d biz is interesting Buh u must be ready to make sacrifices Buh physically and materially....and op I must say for d past 4years my dad has been in dx biz we av not come across any juju buy Buh we av seen many dubious ones. Is either dy claim ur weight is not good or wheen dy find out u are not paying attention to them they steal fish. My own advise is if u know u are a young guy and u can't go thrru d financial stress of monitoring fish to 6 months d best thing u should do is learn how to hatch and sell fingerlings...I swear there is money there. And I also agree with d op. The best way to make ur money is by hatching urself ooo. In fact u will only run into lost if u are careless with ur handling of d fish. There ntn as good as hatching ur fish urself

6 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by oche79: 12:02am On Jun 13, 2015
atoleybaba:
In ikd...1kg goes for 480naira d least a farmer can go....my dad uses aqua feed from 2months(it gives them big shape or makes them fat) then 3days to harvest, he uses ziegler.(damn that feed normally works wonder as it gives d fish mad weight strong and sturborn) the buyers are always asking my dad's manager that " Isaac shey u dy give DX ur fish ogogoro" another thing that works for DX biz is that buyers loves long fish with big heads. Then another thing I noticed is that u make ur complete money if ur fish weigh 1-2kg....the 2kg(big fish) buyers normally clear ur pond. I think d biz is interesting Buh u must be ready to make sacrifices Buh physically and materially....and op I must say for d past 4years my dad has been in dx biz we av not come across any juju buy Buh we av seen many dubious ones. Is either dy claim ur weight is not good or wheen dy find out u are not paying attention to them they steal fish. My own advise is if u know u are a young guy and u can't go thrru d financial stress of monitoring fish to 6 months d best thing u should do is learn how to hatch and sell fingerlings...I swear there is money there. And I also agree with d op. The best way to make ur money is by hatching urself ooo. In fact u will only run into lost if u are careless with ur handling of d fish. There ntn as good as hatching ur fish urself

God bless you my brother. Hatching is key (from what I learn here). For some of us that are used to monthly salary, it will be like hell to wait for 5-6 months before getting returns. When you master hatching, money will also flow from training others. I am Currently undergoing training on hatching and guess what...'I am paying through my nose' grin grin grin.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by jaz(m): 1:05am On Jun 13, 2015
oga robonski, i have a question on pond size dimensions (ft preferably), what sizes of earthen and concrete ponds would be adequate for 4000 catfish to mélange (500g) and to adult size ?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by horpe132(m): 9:01am On Jun 13, 2015
Good morning everyone,,,,peace be unto You. Please i'm interested in fish farming but i dont know much about it,,,,,,,i'll like to get help here,,,,,,,,,,i stay in Ikorodu, Lagos State............Pls any help or assistance will be apreciated,,,,,,,,,,,,,all i need is where to learn about fish farming................i just concluded my National Diploma..................thanks...
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by fzero: 10:01am On Jun 13, 2015
horpe132:
Good morning everyone,,,,peace be unto You. Please i'm interested in fish farming but i dont know much about it,,,,,,,i'll like to get help here,,,,,,,,,,i stay in Ikorodu, Lagos State............Pls any help or assistance will be apreciated,,,,,,,,,,,,,all i need is where to learn about fish farming................i just concluded my National Diploma..................thanks...
Study from the first page of this thread and also go to www.agricnetwork.com to learn more then go for practicals. Where are d ikorodu farmers o
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by horpe132(m): 10:30am On Jun 13, 2015
fzero:

Study from the first page of this thread and also go to www.agricnetwork.com to learn more then go for practicals. Where are d ikorodu farmers o

Thnak You bro......,,,.....i'm grateful * Kindly waiting for Ikorodu Farmers*
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Teepompey: 11:55am On Jun 13, 2015
[quote author=atoleybaba post=34705726]In ikd...1kg goes for 480naira d least a farmer can go....my dad uses aqua feed from 2months(it gives them big shape or makes them fat) then 3days to harvest, he uses ziegler.(damn that feed normally works wonder as it gives d fish mad weight strong and sturborn) the buyers are always asking my dad's manager that " Isaac shey u dy give DX ur fish ogogoro" another thing that works for DX biz is that buyers loves long fish with big heads. Then another thing I noticed is

What a powerful secret! Pls, could you tell us what you use to feed them till the 2nd month before using the aqua? Also, which mm size of zeigler do you use 3days to harvest? Thanks in anticipation.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by atoleybaba(m): 6:58pm On Jun 13, 2015
[quote author=Teepompey post=34726687][/quote] aquafeed mixed with vita feed.....then d Ziegler we use the highest mm..
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Teepompey: 9:16pm On Jun 13, 2015
atoleybaba:
aquafeed mixed with vita feed.....then d Ziegler we use the highest mm..
Thanks so much.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by infotainment(m): 11:32am On Jun 15, 2015
robonski15:

A nice serene for a farm.. I can see they are into hybrids specie. thanks for sharing

The guy is also into breeding of all male Tilapia fingerlings, pond renting and treatments.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 2:06pm On Jun 15, 2015
hello my people. i dont know but i just give all glory to God for He answer prayers.

just two weeks i handed my fishes to someone else to feed, i see a very clear improvement in their weight. they now big and really very active. this morning one of the guys my sister said he buys in tones called and request if am ready to sell for him to contact buyers.

i cant but give thanks. though i am not ready now until two weeks time when they will be five months.

please house, i want them to weigh weller, what feed give a very good weight to fishes? am currently using top feed and the result is very pleasing. i saw my fish on saturday and am so glad.

2 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Johnnyessence(m): 2:10pm On Jun 15, 2015
olubankemi:
hello my people. i dont know but i just give all glory to God for He answer prayers.

just two weeks i handed my fishes to someone else to feed, i see a very clear improvement in their weight. they now big and really very active. this morning one of the guys my sister said he buys in tones called and request if am ready to sell for him to contact buyers.

i cant but give thanks. though i am not ready now until two weeks time when they will be five months.

please house, i want them to weigh weller, what feed give a very good weight to fishes? am currently using top feed and the result is very pleasing. i saw my fish on saturday and am so glad.
u should av started feeding them chicken liver oooooooo.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 2:13pm On Jun 15, 2015
Johnnyessence:

thaNk you so much for your quick response.

please where can i get chicken liver from? do you mean normal chicken liver? do i need to cook it or how do i feed them with it.

truely this thread has been of great help and has being my second strength (GOD first).
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 2:44pm On Jun 15, 2015
Johnnyessence:

i have seen your responses on chicken liver to someone on this thread. thank you.

how long do i feed them with? mix it with their normal feed?

but i just thought of the prons and cons of feeding them with the liver cos i dont stay around my pond and dont feed them so getting it often and preservation will be difficult to do.

i need other feed type that helps their weight.

thank you.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by cross234(m): 2:52pm On Jun 15, 2015
please who knw any store dt I can get digital PH tester in either Lagos, Abeokuta, Ilorin or Ibadan. pls I need it very urgently. thks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by walexy001: 10:46pm On Jun 15, 2015
Pls I need a farmer in ilorin so I can visit the farm to know more
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by walexy001: 10:57pm On Jun 15, 2015
Pls where is Oga robonski15 I hope to hear from you soon sir cos I need to ask a question
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 2:01am On Jun 16, 2015
walexy001:
Pls where is Oga robonski15 I hope to hear from you soon sir cos I need to ask a question

Hello walexy i am here, just been a bit busy lately.

www.agricnetwork.com
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by PresidentAde(m): 11:17am On Jun 16, 2015
robonski15:

Hello walexy i am here, just been a bit busy lately.

www.agricnetwork.com

Good day Sir,,,,,did you see my mail on "fish farming for schools in Lagos"...........i sent the mail to you sometime last week but i've not heard anything from you sir.....or should i bring it here and your site for opinion sampling??
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 11:19am On Jun 16, 2015
atoleybaba:

Interesting piece ... I just love what you wrote about zeigler feed, it makes the fishes hyper active.. Thanks for sharing
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 3:33pm On Jun 16, 2015
PresidentAde:

Good day Sir,,,,,did you see my mail on "fish farming for schools in Lagos"...........i sent the mail to you sometime last week but i've not heard anything from you sir.....or should i bring it here and your site for opinion sampling??

My apologies, i got your mail but i have not reviewed it yet. i will get back to you asap. thanks

www.agricnetwork.com
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 6:59pm On Jun 16, 2015
cross234:
please who knw any store dt I can get digital PH tester in either Lagos, Abeokuta, Ilorin or Ibadan. pls I need it very urgently. thks

I just replied your p.m on agricnetwork.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by cross234(m): 7:34pm On Jun 16, 2015
robonski15:

I just replied your p.m on agricnetwork.
thks sir I hav see it
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Johnnyessence(m): 8:13pm On Jun 16, 2015
olubankemi:

thaNk you so much for your quick response.

please where can i get chicken liver from? do you mean normal chicken liver? do i need to cook it or how do i feed them with it.

truely this thread has been of great help and has being my second strength (GOD first).

U CAN GET CHICKEN LIVER FROM POULTRY . ASK FROM THE POULTRY ATTENDANT THEY WILL GIVE U OO
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Johnnyessence(m): 8:16pm On Jun 16, 2015
olubankemi:

i have seen your responses on chicken liver to someone on this thread. thank you.

how long do i feed them with? mix it with their normal feed?

but i just thought of the prons and cons of feeding them with the liver cos i dont stay around my pond and dont feed them so getting it often and preservation will be difficult to do.

i need other feed type that helps their weight.

thank you.
AFTER FEEDING THEM WITH CHICKEN LIVER IT WILL REDUCE THE PURCHASE OF 6MM FEED I DO FEED THEM WITH MULTI-FEED WITH CHICKEN LIVER.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 10:46pm On Jun 16, 2015
Hello Jonny. Thank you for your response.

Why 6mm? Thought you are supposed to use the highest mm during the last week?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by BELEXYFARMS(m): 10:52pm On Jun 16, 2015
infotainment:

The guy is also into breeding of all male Tilapia fingerlings, pond renting and treatments.

Hello sir, plz where is this farm located? I am highly interested in the 'all male tilapia'
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 12:56am On Jun 17, 2015
Johnnyessence:
AFTER FEEDING THEM WITH CHICKEN LIVER IT WILL REDUCE THE PURCHASE OF 6MM FEED I DO FEED THEM WITH MULTI-FEED WITH CHICKEN LIVER.
@Johnnyessence, this said "Chicken Liver", is it your first time experimenting with it?.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by seuntope8(m): 4:54pm On Jun 17, 2015
Hi evryone! Wana ask an important question. My storage tank was left unused 4 like a month after I harvested. I wanted using It again 4 my new production after filling the tank to capacity with water although 2/3 of the tank capacity was occupy with water for that 1month. Filling my pond with d water, I noticed that d water was green. Those it means that enough of oxygen was present or somthing else? I'm kinda confused. D source of the water i§ a borehole nd d said tank i§ alwaiz left open.. Tnx in advance for responses from my fellow farmers.!!
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by walexy001: 6:38pm On Jun 17, 2015
Pls I need a farmer in kwara state to know more about hatching. That is the next line I need to know pls your help will be greatly appreciated thank you and God bless .

(1) (2) (3) ... (163) (164) (165) (166) (167) (168) (169) ... (523) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.