Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,118 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:32 PM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (375) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1496532 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (372) (373) (374) (375) (376) (377) (378) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by abefeglobal: 12:41pm On Apr 21, 2017
olaolu89:
Thanks alot to everyone who showed concern nd advice. I finally achieve success with my fries, the mortality was caused by the feed I was using. I was told to start directly with German wean 0.2 by the consultant I called. And I did my first sorting yesterday as I have some at fingerling stage already after 2 weeks 5 days.They are responding rapidly now. Am highly grateful for the assistance, God bless everyone nd the OP.

GOOD JOB ,I HAVEN'T HEARD OF German wean before .pls where do u got that from .?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 12:57pm On Apr 21, 2017
35000tons:
Hello friends, intend going into "MELANGE" FISH FARMING. But I want to process/dry the fish myself before selling. I reckoned that that will be more profitable. Can any experienced farmer confirm my belief?
Yea..is more profitable when u process...if u are around Asaba, we could do business together as I am into processing...
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 4:41pm On Apr 21, 2017
HURRY UP FOR GRAB 10,000 PEICES OF OLD LAYERS AT EPE FOR JUST #1,200 ONLY. 08020917141..CALL ME FOR ENQUIRY THANK YOU
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by bilag17(m): 10:44pm On Apr 21, 2017
olaolu89:
Thanks alot to everyone who showed concern nd advice. I finally achieve success with my fries, the mortality was caused by the feed I was using. I was told to start directly with German wean 0.2 by the consultant I called. And I did my first sorting yesterday as I have some at fingerling stage already after 2 weeks 5 days.They are responding rapidly now. Am highly grateful for the assistance, God bless everyone nd the OP.
Congratulations. Every challenge, has a solution. Pls, which product is German wean 0.2?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by olaolu89(m): 11:10pm On Apr 21, 2017
abefeglobal:

GOOD JOB ,I HAVEN'T HEARD OF German wean before .pls where do u got that from .?
I got it from a fish feed seller here in Ilorin. It goes for #6200/half kg.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by olaolu89(m): 11:12pm On Apr 21, 2017
bilag17:
Congratulations. Every challenge, has a solution. Pls, which product is German wean 0.2?
I don't really know much about it as am also new to the feed. I was also introduced to it and it helped their growth greatly, though very costly.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by oscarvicto(m): 11:24pm On Apr 21, 2017
ubreeze:

How do i contact you? For the solar aerators

U can reach me on 08063333215
Oscarvictor93@yahoo.com
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by oscarvicto(m): 11:26pm On Apr 21, 2017
Solar aerator

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by kazeemmuka(m): 12:29pm On Apr 22, 2017
3,000 standard post-fingerlings for sale @ N15

only. Contact Kazeem on 08037456799,

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by micgray100(m): 9:36pm On Apr 22, 2017
Is this business still profitable. Cos I tried with a thousand fish and still got loss of 1k with wasted time and energy for 5 months.

Please prove me wrong with the followings..

Got seeds from a fish farm I visited myself to see how they grow and affirm it genuineness..

40 naira per fingerlings weight average weight of 10g each..

3 bags of 2mm coppens feeds for 17k each

60 bags of 3mm and 4mm vital feeds for 7500 each

For 5 months water changing .. 50k
Drugs.. 10k
Labour of boy for 5 months at 8k every month..

From the above

40 x 1000 pieces that is 40k

3 x 17000 that is 51k

60 x 7500 that is 450k

50k water

10k drugs

40k labour

All together

641k expenses..

Average kg after harvest is 800kg multiplied by 800 rate

Diffrence is 1k loss

All I gained is experience... And willing to learn more..

Please House.
Educate us more we the newbees on this trend base on Mr above experience how to make gain and experciate better how I could have reduce cost..
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by lilly400: 9:10am On Apr 23, 2017
Ttalk:

You will get at Kado Fish Market.
Starter 0.5mm, 0.8mm 1.5mm (5kg) 10,000.
2mm and 3mm 9500
Nigeria floating - 2 and 3mm 7000
4mm 6500
Niigeria sinking 3800 to 5000
pls I bought 1mm skreeting feed for my fingerlings yesterday but when I gave them the feed I noticed that it wasn't floating is it normal or is the feed bad?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by stan4b(m): 9:29am On Apr 23, 2017
micgray100:
Is this business still profitable. Cos I tried with a thousand fish and still got loss of 1k with wasted time and energy for 5 months.

Got seeds from a fish farm I visited myself to see how they grow and affirm it genuineness..

Drugs.. 10k

From the above

3 x 17000 that is 51k

60 x 7500 that is 450k

50k water

10k drugs

40k labour

All together

641k expenses..

Diffrence is 1k loss

Please House.
Educate us more we the newbees on this trend base on Mr above experience how to make gain and experciate better how I could have reduce cost..

Oga, first of all, fingerlings is usually 10 or 15 naira, it is juvenile dat can b around 30 to 40 naira. D water issue, why couldn't u just get a borehole, or create a well dat can give u constant water. Den, why couldn't u maintain ur farm urself, instead of paying 10k monthly. Well, all in all, I tink u r d cause of ur loss.
Were some of ur fish hitting 1kg?

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Herbaleno(f): 11:51am On Apr 23, 2017
playbrain1089:

Yea..is more profitable when u process...if u are around Asaba, we could do business together as I am into processing...
if you are around Calabar, I'm available. 07037357616
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by babaoloola(m): 12:43pm On Apr 23, 2017
stan4b:

Oga, first of all, fingerlings is usually 10 or 15 naira, it is juvenile dat can b around 30 to 40 naira. D water issue, why couldn't u just get a borehole, or create a well dat can give u constant water. Den, why couldn't u maintain ur farm urself, instead of paying 10k monthly. Well, all in all, I tink u r d cause of ur loss.
Were some of ur fish hitting 1kg?

The probably sold poor fishes to him (cos of d stage he bought...

Profits is mostly exaggerated by agricbiz guy! And newbies are at d receiving end.

I missed this thread!!

Oga robonski...longtime
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 5:32pm On Apr 23, 2017
fishfarming is still profitable, if the foundation & delegation of funds is faulty, it will show at the end.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 5:36pm On Apr 23, 2017
For the brother that asked about drainage,it is possible. Though twice i tried to elaborate, i was banned twice,hence i dont know how best to write detail again so it wont be repeated by whatever is doing it

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by lilly400: 8:55pm On Apr 23, 2017
bilag17:
Pls include 08023340270 in the grp. Thanks.
pls add me on the watsapp group
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by lilly400: 10:32pm On Apr 23, 2017
robonski15:

I will advice you use salt and wood ash to treat the pond..
pls sir I got my fingerlings yesterday ,and I bought skreeting feed 1mm, but I noticed dat the feed is not floating ,pls is this normal ,and I noticed that like 10 mins after feeding they were vomiting the food and some of them are lieing with their back and, their stomach seems to be swollen is all these normal, cos I am new in this field thank you so much sir as you reply me
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by bilag17(m): 5:41am On Apr 24, 2017
micgray100:

Drugs.. 10k

From the above

3 x 17000 that is 51k

60 x 7500 that is 450k

50k water

10k drugs

40k labour

All together

641k expenses..

Diffrence is 1k loss

Please House.

Congratulations. 1k loss is negligible, when compared with the knowledge gained through the experience. Five months is a very strategic time frame for outstanding harvest, if all necessary rearing resources are utilized. What was the actual quantity stocked-1000, 1100? Definitely the fishes were not fingerlings because you started feeding with 2mm. 1. How many pieces of fish made the harvested 800kg? 2. How many ponds did you use, the sizes, and quantity in each. 4. For a period of 5 months, you are expected to have utilized minimum of 80 bags of 15kg feed instead of the 63 bags used. If all I've stated here are rightfully considered, in mine own view, your harvested weight should not be less than 1000kg. Respond, and we shall be able to identify the learning point.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by bilag17(m): 5:59am On Apr 24, 2017
micgray100:

Drugs.. 10k

From the above

3 x 17000 that is 51k

60 x 7500 that is 450k

50k water

10k drugs

40k labour

All together

641k expenses..

Diffrence is 1k loss

Please House.

Your feed input is 78%, hence the result. However, I've seen a fish farmer, whose input was 60%, and he still made profit. Do you keep farm records?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 10:23am On Apr 24, 2017
lilly400:
pls I bought 1mm skreeting feed for my fingerlings yesterday but when I gave them the feed I noticed that it wasn't floating is it normal or is the feed bad?

Yes, it is a slow sinking feed. There's nothing wrong with it
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 10:32am On Apr 24, 2017
oscarvicto:
Solar aerator

What is the wattage?
And price[s].

You can drop the info @ goldgate2003yahoo.com
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 10:43am On Apr 24, 2017
olaolu89:

It's called Gemma wean and is produced by Skretting
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by beejtee: 10:46am On Apr 24, 2017
I am urgently in need of regular supply of Melange Catfish. Willing to take as much as 500kg per week. Supply around Alimosho Local government of Lagos will be a preferable deal due to distance.

Kindly contact Taiwo on 08033676224.

Serious farmers only.

Thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Etranshub(m): 11:07am On Apr 24, 2017
micgray100:

Drugs.. 10k

From the above

40 x 1000 pieces that is 40k....10x1000=10,000

3 x 17000 that is 51k...3x13=36,000

60 x 7500 that is 450k...quality local feed 1ton 300k

50k water this can be avoided depending on where u pond is

10k drugs...no need for drug

40k labour...you dont need labour for 1000pieves

All together

641k expenses..your total should be 346k let's add miscellaneous of 50k so we have 396k.

Average kg after harvest is 800kg multiplied by 800 rate....with one ton quality local (floating/sinking)feed you will get the same result

Diffrence is 1k loss...and the difference would have been more than 200k which means profit.

So the major problem was the cost of feed and unnecessary expenses on labour n management

Please House.

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by lilly400: 4:42pm On Apr 24, 2017
Ttalk:

Yes, it is a slow sinking feed. There's nothing wrong with it
ok thanks alot
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Adeymorla(m): 9:53am On Apr 25, 2017
micgray100:

Drugs.. 10k

From the above

3 x 17000 that is 51k

60 x 7500 that is 450k

50k water

10k drugs

40k labour

All together

641k expenses..

Diffrence is 1k loss

Please House.

To make better profits, its really not about the type of feed used, its more about its conversion to flesh when the fish consume it. We call it the feed conversion rate. Some expensive foreign feeds/ naija local floating we buy have low FCR so buying them is just like money down the drain. The fish will eat it but they will not grow fast. To reduce cost u have to increase FCR. Thats the only way
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by micgray100(m): 10:03am On Apr 25, 2017
Adeymorla:

To make better profits, its really not about the type of feed used, its more about its conversion to flesh when the fish consume it. We call it the feed conversion rate. Some expensive foreign feeds/ naija local floating we buy have low FCR so buying them is just like money down the drain. The fish will eat it but they will not grow fast. To reduce cost u have to increase FCR. Thats the only way

thanks so much for your contribution... you have given a point on FCR.. what is the way forward... house please let us look at this profit tin critically cos i see no point running a business that leads to loss after 6 months... i am already contemplating selling off my plastic Tanks and demolishing the concrete pond....

O
ga Robonski .. do Justice to this... even people i introduce to this business are leaving already..
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 10:07am On Apr 25, 2017
Adeymorla:

Can we tie down FCR performance only to feed quality?

Please explain in detail to the house your opinion about increasing FCR

I agree that some expensive foreign feeds/Nigeria Local floating are out there claiming what they are not, but is there fish no farmers association in Nigeria? What about Standard Organisation of Nigeria? What about numerous Research Institutes in Fisheries and Aquaculture in Nigeria? Where do we see their result of research on different fish feed?

Unless there is a movement among different fish association to carry-out test on all popular feeds in Nigeria and publish the result for fish farmers to consider before making his decision and see that SON take appropriate action against Feed companies that has been deceiving young entrants, the loss will continue.

(1) (2) (3) ... (372) (373) (374) (375) (376) (377) (378) ... (523) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.