Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,136 members, 7,821,879 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:50 PM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (395) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1495946 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (392) (393) (394) (395) (396) (397) (398) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 1:34pm On Aug 09, 2017
bixton:

Are you implying that a Kg of catfish should be sold for above #1000? While you're at that kindly find out how much is a Kg of a fresh sea fish (salt water) gotten from Nigeria?
I think sir you should be the one to tell us cost of fresh sea fish you are referring to. Yes farmed fish would have different production cost from cultured fish however, we are talking of close substitutes of catfish here which majorly are croaker fish, Titus fish and Mackerel fish that is at least 1000naira per kg whereas cattish is pegged at 600naira. How do do they arrived at such ridiculous price considering the high cost of feed and feed ingredients?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Imoy(m): 1:50pm On Aug 09, 2017
robonski15:

That is what I A̶̲̥̅̊м̣̣̥̇ puting together at the moment.. I hope τ̲̅ȍ finish it soonest..

good day op, I just came across this thread, and I am highly interested in fish farming, pls I need all the info I can get to start fish farming, please send me a mail
hez4life@yahoo.com.
thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by bixton(m): 3:25pm On Aug 09, 2017
Ttalk:

I think sir you should be the one to tell us cost of fresh sea fish you are referring to. Yes farmed fish would have different production cost from cultured fish however, we are talking of close substitutes of catfish here which majorly are croaker fish, Titus fish and Mackerel fish that is at least 1000naira per kg whereas cattish is pegged at 600naira. How do do they arrived at such ridiculous price considering the high cost of feed and feed ingredients?
Ridiculous price, maybe, maybe not. But you should be aware that those close substitutes are imported too and are sold based on foreign exchange rate.
I am sure some of us here are into exporting of our farmed fish and we know how much we peg our prices when it comes to export too.
Every business man knows that his/her produce price is dependent on the processes involved to getting that produce to maturity/finished stage. If you allow your produce to be at the mercy of middle men then.................... certain farmers have found a way to take middle men away from the picture and do direct sales with end users.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by OkoromolaFarms: 6:04pm On Aug 09, 2017
bixton:

Ridiculous price, maybe, maybe not. But you should be aware that those close substitutes are imported too and are sold based on foreign exchange rate.
I am sure some of us here are into exporting of our farmed fish and we know how much we peg our prices when it comes to export too.
Every business man knows that his/her produce price is dependent on the processes involved to getting that produce to maturity/finished stage. If you allow your produce to be at the mercy of middle men then.................... certain farmers have found a way to take middle men away from the picture and do direct sales with end users.
This is very interesting. Kindly share ways to remove middle men from the picture
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by JSayin(f): 8:07pm On Aug 09, 2017
Please does anyone have an idea of where I can purchase a fish feed blower...?

I need it to make my fish feed float.

Has anyone ever purchased one? If yes, from where and how much did it cost? And is it working well?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by agroknowledge: 8:46pm On Aug 09, 2017
Learn how to make massive profit from livestock farming. www.agroknowledge.com
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Izzyril(m): 1:00am On Aug 10, 2017
Please need info. on the cost of undergoing a program at Songhai farm. spiichiis@gmail.com.
Thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by olaide92(m): 8:26am On Aug 10, 2017
Hello house. I want to ask an important question. Please how good is Durante fingerling and juvenile?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Etranshub(m): 11:20am On Aug 10, 2017
INTRODUCTION

Bethsaidal Farms and Agro Allied brings you the opportunity to be Fish farmer/Investor by becoming a stakeholder in our fish farming project called PROJECT BETHSAIDAL 1.

PROJECT BETHSAIDAL 1
Fish farming as a business venture is one of the oldest and ever viable business in the world. This is simply because no matter the situation of an economy/country, her citizens must feed, even under a condition of war. The insatiable demand for fishery product in Nigeria has constantly self-promoted the steady growth and expansion of the industry.
Also with the current shift to agricultural business in Nigeria, it is essential for farmers and prospective business men/women to fully harness. Although some people have concerns about the profitability of fish farming presently in Nigeria due to the low price of fish per kg at farm gate. But the honest truth is that even at the low price, some farmers still sells and make profit because their cost of production is also low. The secret to low cost of production is what we have and we are offering in this project.
The aim and objective of Project Bethsaidal 1 is to bring together group of fish farmers and intending fish farmers to form a fish farming settlement where we produce fish per kg at a cost that is very profitable when compared to the current ridiculous farmgate price.

HOW TO PARTAKE IN PROJECT BETHSAIDA[/b]L 1
Project bethsaidal 1 has only 30 slots, this been the maiden edition of the project. A slot consist of 1unit of 15" by 10" by 4" tarpoline fish pond. Slots are available on the condition of first come first serve provided the candidates meets the terms and conditions of the project. A candidate can not take more than 2 slots.

WHAT TO BENEFIT AS A SLOT OWNER
Our project site is situated in Ewekoro Local Government Area of Ogun State along a stream flowing year in, year out. The following are what to benefit as a slot owner:
1.) A complete line of fish feed mill(Floating & Sinking) with quality feeds available 24/7-365days to slot owners.
2.) Each slot has an average benchmark of expected harvest and feed to be use to achieve this benchmark. Slot owners get credit line of 40% on the estimated feeds to be used which they pay back when they harvest.
3.) Mould pump is available for water pumping 24/7 at the site which makes water changing ridiculously cheap.
4.) Ready made market available for your harvest for both fresh and processed fish.
5.) a fish processing unit with capacity of 500kg per batch is also available for slot owners who are intending to process their harvest.
6.) Maximum security is guaranteed for every slot on the site.
7.) cost of feed ranges between 200-350/kg depending on the CP of feed and stage of the fish eating the feed.
8.) Quality and maximum weight guarantee feed formular available to all slot owners.
9.) Many more benefits which will be discussed at the orientation of prospective slot owners.

Interested candidates should kindly contact project co-ordinator MICHAEL on 08167488947 (call and whatsapp) or project manager AZEEZ on 08028744462 (call and whatsapp) for more informations and enquiries on how to secure a slot/s in the project.
Looking forward to you joining us in building an economy that will be free of hunger.

instagram; officialbethsaidal

Project Location: Ewekoro, Ogun State
Project Duration: 6 Months
Project kick-off: First week of September
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by grafikii: 1:51pm On Aug 10, 2017
chilanfarms:
For you tilapia fingerlings seeds contact us for urs.
What type of tilapia do you have?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by jeckin205: 8:14am On Aug 11, 2017
Is fish farming still lucrative despite the high cost of feed
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 3:28pm On Aug 11, 2017
Imoy:

good day op, I just came across this thread, and I am highly interested in fish farming, pls I need all the info I can get to start fish farming, please send me a mail
hez4life@yahoo.com.
thanks

All the info you need is right on this thread sir..
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Fish4wealth: 8:11pm On Aug 11, 2017
OkoromolaFarms:
This is very interesting. Kindly share ways to remove middle men from the picture
I may not know how he got rid of middle men in his distribution chain but surely it is possible...
Many of us are too preoccupied to effectively manage our harvest profitably....
The truth and fact is that unless the farmer sells directly....chances of making loss is inevitable..
Check out my signature

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by saheyijide(m): 10:39pm On Aug 11, 2017
Good day farmers in the house, I just finished the construction of my two fishpond 10*15*4ft size. And I have already filled it with water and put about 2kg of salt in it for the next 2days to disinfect the pond before I will stock. Have booked for post fingerlings which should get to me by Monday. Pls I need advice on dos and don't because am newbie fish farmers and a silent follower of this trend

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 11:42pm On Aug 11, 2017
saheyijide:
Good day farmers in the house, I just finished the construction of my two fishpond 10*15*4ft size. And I have already filled it with water and put about 2kg of salt in it for the next 2days to disinfect the pond before I will stock. Have booked for post fingerlings which should get to me by Monday. Pls I need advice on dos and don't because am newbie fish farmers and a silent follower of this trend

I love the site of newly built tarpaulin pond.. I will advice you leave the water for about 5 days to neutralize the odor.. How many do u wanna stock on both ponds..

2 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by OmoOshodi(m): 12:32am On Aug 12, 2017
saheyijide:
welcome bro. If that tarpaulin is new... Try use palm oil to rub and soak it for like 24 hours.... Salt not gonna do much ...... Over to my ogas ****Robonski etc

3 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by OmoOshodi(m): 12:35am On Aug 12, 2017
OmoOshodi:
For anyone interested in learning hatching for free.
Only 2 interested persons will be accommodated (first come first serve )
Whatsapp only (O7O6383ll76) for next hatching date
keep your msgs coming will get back to you by month end

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by kazeemmuka(m): 8:47am On Aug 12, 2017
saheyijide:

Don't be too much in a hurry to stock your new taupalin pond as there is need for you to neutralise it with chicken waste tied in a garri or rice sack after filling the pond while you wait for like five days. Sign to tell your pond is ready, you would see mosqito larva thriving, after this drain the water while you wash with just clean water, now fill the pond with water and you are good to go.

2 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by bixton(m): 10:04am On Aug 12, 2017
OkoromolaFarms:
I will when I'm done with my e-book publication.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by dolarland(m): 3:25pm On Aug 12, 2017
Good afternoon house. All thanks to robonski15 for this great thread.
Post fingerings shooters (clarias gariepinus) for sale at N15. If u are based in Port Harcourt, Rumokoro. u can come to d farm and we select d shooters together. Serious buyers only. Contact 0808 870 2261 if interested.

4 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 3:28pm On Aug 12, 2017
OmoOshodi:
welcome bro. If that tarpaulin is new... Try use palm oil to rub and soak it for like 24 hours.... Salt not gonna do much ...... Over to my ogas ****Robonski etc

I have never used palm oil to soak a pond before.. Have u personally tried it before..
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by saheyijide(m): 6:25pm On Aug 12, 2017
robonski15:

I have never used palm oil to soak a pond before.. Have u personally tried it before..
I am given 3 options to sterilize the tarpaulin pond
1. Full it with water and add salt then leave it for 2-3days before draining the water and pumping fresh water
2. Get poultry waste in sac, tie the mouth of the sac and put it in the pond filled with water for 4-5days before draining the water, removing the poultry waste in sac and pumping fresh water in the pond
3. The use of palm oil to rub the tarpaulin wall n bottom of the pond and leave for few hours before Rinsing off detergent and water then pumping fresh water into the pond
@my Oga farmers in d house. Pls advice is needed in selecting an option. And I have already prospond the stocking of my pond till next week so as to make such I get this part of sterilization of the pond right

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by saheyijide(m): 6:33pm On Aug 12, 2017
robonski15:

I love the site of newly built tarpaulin pond.. I will advice you leave the water for about 5 days to neutralize the odor.. How many do u wanna stock on both ponds..
A friend that uses similar design of pond (7*14*4ft) which is a bit smaller than mine (10*15*4ft) usually stock 1500fingerlings to grow out in his which he has been doing for years. So I planned stocking 1650 fingerlings in mine
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Fish4wealth: 7:21pm On Aug 12, 2017
saheyijide:
You can go with the first two but certainly not in agreement with palm oil...as a beginner your first experience will determine your altitude as such no room for experimental trial....
Even with just clean water.....leave under the sun till nature acts on it turning the water greenish with evidence of life forms such as mosquito larvae....you are just good to stock....after washing off...
All the best,...

2 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by OmoOshodi(m): 8:11pm On Aug 12, 2017
robonski15:

yes .... It's the best method for tarpaulins(only) poultry dung is also ok but palm oil is faster and effective to eradicate the chemicals embedded in the tarpaulin Note:why wait for 5days when you can achieve your goals within 24hours
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by duullie88(m): 8:20pm On Aug 12, 2017
saheyijide:

How much did it cost to build both ponds??

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Rokaa(m): 2:19pm On Aug 13, 2017
@robonski15

I will soon stock 1000 juvenile catfishes in 3.5mx3.5m and 1.5m deep earthen pond.

1 - Is the above pond dimension correct for 1000 catfishes?

2 - How do i fertilize and lime the pond? What quantity and type of fertilizer and lime will i use?

3 - For how long will i keep liming and fertilizing before stocking.?

4 - When will i stock after liming and fertilizing.?

Is fertilization and liming necessary? What other pond preparation exercise is required before stocking?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 2:56pm On Aug 13, 2017
Please what's the current price of 72% FM in your locality. I suspect my supplier is scamming me.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by saheyijide(m): 3:34pm On Aug 14, 2017
Rokaa:
@robonski15

I will soon stock 1000 juvenile catfishes in 3.5cmx3.5cm and 1.5cm deep earthen pond.

1 - Is the above pond dimension correct for 1000 catfishes?

2 - How do i fertilize and lime the pond? What quantity and type of fertilizer and lime will i use?

3 - For how long will i keep liming and fertilizing before stocking.?

4 - When will i stock after liming and fertilizing.?

Is fertilization and liming necessary? What other pond preparation exercise is required before stocking?
Pls try and get ur measurement unit right so that comprehensive help can be given. Your pond can never be (3.5*3.5*1.5)cm, it is either in feet(ft) or metre(m) and if you will be using the cm then it will be in hundreds or thousands of cm to be a realistic dimension for a pond

2 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Rokaa(m): 4:01pm On Aug 14, 2017
saheyijide:

Pls try and get ur measurement unit right so that comprehensive help can be given. Your pond can never be (3.5*3.5*1.5)cm, it is either in feet(ft) or metre(m) and if you will be using the cm then it will be in hundreds or thousands of cm to be a realistic dimension for a pond

My bad. it's metre not cm.

Thanks for the correction.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Sparkles003(f): 5:28pm On Aug 14, 2017
Anyone with this size dried for sale?I'm intrested .

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Fish4wealth: 6:11pm On Aug 14, 2017
Sparkles003:
Anyone with this size dried for sale?I'm intrested .
This is between 850g and above....if yes...I have and within 24hours+ you can get it hot and tasty....
Chat me up on 08153701613

(1) (2) (3) ... (392) (393) (394) (395) (396) (397) (398) ... (523) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.