Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,619 members, 7,809,278 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:11 AM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (425) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1491156 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (422) (423) (424) (425) (426) (427) (428) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by aragon4realz(m): 5:11pm On Jan 09, 2018
pls what is the cause of white substances on fish tentacles/antenna and how do I battle it before I start losing my stock
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by aragon4realz(m): 5:13pm On Jan 09, 2018
Scholar212:
Good morning house, my sister started catfish farming mid last year, the person that she was learning from actually sold the juveniles that she has sorted out and taken the ones that are fast growing for herself( we discovered this later). We didn't know as JJC, long story short after spending about 200k in feeding them for 6months, she has sold almost everything and it is less than 150k cry at 600naira per kg ( farm bulk buyers). Please I want to know if the 600naira isn't too small or it is standard price( location is Asaba delta state) and how can she identify good juveniles when stocking again

always go for fingerlings so you wouldn't probably endup with leftover juveniles
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 7:43pm On Jan 09, 2018
please, I need melange catfish urgently, if you are around amuwo, ojo, alimosho axis of Lagos state contact Me on what's app +2348133017763.
please prices should be moderate.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by olasunks(m): 8:19pm On Jan 09, 2018
Larwin:

EC is electrical conductivity, the test kit can be gotten anywhere they are selling plumbing materials or chemicals. I am just saying the treatment you ll do to make your water OK for the fishes shouldn't be expensive. Ordinary filtering could solve it.

You can as well consult a lab for comprehensive analysis. They ll check for the physical, chemical and biological properties in the water. And as well specify the treatment required if any
Thanks. I tried few juveniles in the water. They hardly eat and their skin peels. One of the fishes became bloated and stay alive but swim upside down.They were not responding well.I will take the water for lab test. Do you now any lab test preferably closer to satellite town or festac.

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by olasunks(m): 9:05pm On Jan 09, 2018
haywire1:

Run a pH test on d water first

#
the pH is almost 7 which is ok for fish. The borehole is deep and the water tast salt just like sea water.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 9:11pm On Jan 09, 2018
Scholar212:
first I no be madam grin am a dude, it is not blame passing, it was one of her staff that later admitted it indirectly, my dad has two ponds and my sister two, same feeding water and all other conditions. Just 2months and the juvenile my dad stocked from another source is almost the size of my sisters own at 4months.. Thanks for your response, the price you stated is it for retail or wholesale price because they are calculated per kg for wholesale and almost all the different buyers contacted wont go beyond 600/kg ( more like they decided it in a union meeting)

Sir, in as much as I would not argue your assertion, I would suggest you pay attention to the feeding regime. Monitor the farm worker to ascertain there is no sharp practises.
A lot is happening in fish farm business due to human factor, Nigerian factor
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Fish4wealth: 3:21pm On Jan 10, 2018
maco1:
Good evening house, I want to raise fish in an earthen pond what sort of treatment do I need in the pond. And how can I apply GNC organic fertilizer in the pond I heard it help the fish grow healthy

Not all earthen pond really needs treatment.....I stand to be corrected. ?..cos the question is what are you treating...I wonder most times when I read thread on such....are you treating water or soil, or microbes, etc. The composition and topography of your proposed site should determine such.
Secondly, how experience are you in managing earthen pond, how well is your earthen pond secured
Organic fertilizer....hmmmmm....sometimes we boost fish appetites and end up starving them cos of consumption rate...if you manage your pond well, your fish will grow well and healthy.....
Best of luck
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Fish4wealth: 3:23pm On Jan 10, 2018
aragon4realz:
pls what is the cause of white substances on fish tentacles/antenna and how do I battle it before I start losing my stock

It could be as a result of infection or an attack......ensure your water is clean and feed your fish to satiation. Do regular sorting to prevent further attacks....
All the best.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Fish4wealth: 3:34pm On Jan 10, 2018
Scholar212:
Good morning house, my sister started catfish farming mid last year, the person that she was learning from actually sold the juveniles that she has sorted out and taken the ones that are fast growing for herself( we discovered this later). We didn't know as JJC, long story short after spending about 200k in feeding them for 6months, she has sold almost everything and it is less than 150k cry at 600naira per kg ( farm bulk buyers). Please I want to know if the 600naira isn't too small or it is standard price( location is Asaba delta state) and how can she identify good juveniles when stocking again

I read your post but will like to just summarise here....@Ttalk has spoken well.....indeed their are chances of bad seeds but no professional farm will sell out runt deliberately cos customers satisfaction is KEY....NOTE....professional farmers not quacks all over......
Secondly, your management techniques....who manages your dad's own...possibly someone managed better, trust me.....
Always do your deligence to research more....agric business is capital intensive as such, it is expected of anyone coming into it to understand some basics.....but we often time ignore this advise
Your pricing should largely depend on your cost of production...we farmers do not have a union, hence different pricing but the market/bulk buyers do have a strong union....
1kg fish with the current price of feed is not less than #750....melange goes for #600-#650.....
You must must equally research your target market.......

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by aragon4realz(m): 5:58pm On Jan 10, 2018
Fish4wealth:

It could be as a result of infection or an attack......ensure your water is clean and feed your fish to satiation. Do regular sorting to prevent further attacks....
All the best.
if it's infection...what kind of treatment do I administer
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by tecnoguy83: 7:18pm On Jan 10, 2018
Scholar212:
Can you drop ur whatsapp contact to b added up to delta state farmers.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Dank1u(m): 8:49pm On Jan 10, 2018
Fishes seems to be picking something from the water that is not digestible, the water quality maybe good but with particles, install a filter to the tank

olasunks:

Thanks. I tried few juveniles in the water. They hardly eat and their skin peels. One of the fishes became bloated and stay alive but swim upside down.They were not responding well.I will take the water for lab test. Do you now any lab test preferably closer to satellite town or festac.

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Larwin(m): 9:22pm On Jan 10, 2018
olasunks:

Is that the water from festac? I don't know any lab around that place, I run my analysis in ib/ìfẹ́. You can check unilag they should ve a facility for that
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 7:21pm On Jan 11, 2018

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by olasunks(m): 8:32pm On Jan 11, 2018
Larwin:

Is that the water from festac? I don't know any lab around that place, I run my analysis in ib/ìfẹ́. You can check unilag they should ve a facility for that
no it is satellite area. Some people get clean water.
If water has EC is it good for fish farming or not.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Larwin(m): 6:33am On Jan 12, 2018
olasunks:

no it is satellite area. Some people get clean water.
If water has EC is it good for fish farming or not.

Clean water s not common for satellite town. High EC might affect the fish.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by walexy001: 7:00am On Jan 12, 2018
Pls anybody having this small pelletizing machine I need to ask some operational questions about it. I

1 Share

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by olasunks(m): 3:30pm On Jan 12, 2018
Larwin:

Clean water s not common for satellite town. High EC might affect the fish.
At what level can it affect the fish per litre.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by aragon4realz(m): 9:25am On Jan 13, 2018
aragon4realz:
take a look into catfish smoking
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVUNZPhhANk
hope this video is educative enough for you
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Larwin(m): 3:48pm On Jan 13, 2018
olasunks:

At what level can it affect the fish per litre.

It has to be in WHO standard. I think 1000s/m
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Scholar212(m): 4:17pm On Jan 13, 2018
tecnoguy83:

Can you drop ur whatsapp contact to b added up to delta state farmers.
08033927355, 0805 093 6379. Thanks please add up both contacts
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 6:09pm On Jan 13, 2018
Scholar212:
first I no be madam grin am a dude, it is not blame passing, it was one of her staff that later admitted it indirectly, my dad has two ponds and my sister two, same feeding water and all other conditions. Just 2months and the juvenile my dad stocked from another source is almost the size of my sisters own at 4months.. Thanks for your response, the price you stated is it for retail or wholesale price because they are calculated per kg for wholesale and almost all the different buyers contacted wont go beyond 600/kg ( more like they decided it in a union meeting)

more like they decided it in a union meeting

You see why the Market women will keep taking advantage of the fish farmers.. They are very much United, strong willed and smart. Until fish farmers come together as one we will continually be at the mercy of the Market women.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 6:14pm On Jan 14, 2018
aragon4realz:

hope this video is educative enough for you

Very educative.. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Olupharez: 12:45pm On Jan 15, 2018
Oga Robonski, am quote from an old post.
When u said to "Maturity" do u mean 6 months?

Hi, u can start with a thousand fish,of which u can feed them comfortably till maturity with the available facility..After your first harvest u can increase your stocking...

My email is robonski15@rocketmail.com
[/quote]
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 1:52pm On Jan 15, 2018
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Olupharez: 6:44pm On Jan 15, 2018
LaBikerFarms:

God bless you richly for this information.
With this i have i have 60% of all i need to start.

Types of Catfish Feed:

Since there are different stages of catfish growth, there are different stages of fish feed; fish feed are often denoted in mm, so you’ll see/hear about 1.5mm feed, 1.8mm feed, 2mm feed, 4mm feed, 6mm feed etc.
There’s also extruded (or floating) and non-extruded (or sinking) feed.
What I recommend is to give your fishes extruded (or floating) feed for up to 2 months before switching to the non-extruded (or sinking) feed.
Catfishes are mostly bottom feeders, so by their very nature they are designed to be eating non-extruded (or sinking) feed, but the reason I recommend giving them floating feed at the early stage is because they are more fragile then.
With floating feed, you can put the feed on the pond gradually and let them eat it; the risk of overfeeding is significantly reduced, thereby ensuring there is no water pollution that can lead to high mortality in your very fragile juveniles.
Furthermore, due to their fragile nature, giving your juveniles feed that isn’t rich with the right nutrients can affect their long-term growth; going with floating feed from recognized producers like Durante, Cargill Aqua Feed, Raanan, and Coppens will ensure optimal growth of your fishes, even when you later switch to sinking feed comprising of your own formula.

That said, the top feed producers that I recommend and have used are Aqua Feed, Durante and Raanan; I’ve heard that Coppens could be the best, but there are lots of adulterated versions of it here in Nigeria, so I won’t recommend it since the inexperienced farmer could fall victim to these adulterated versions.
From my research, I have also noticed that Aqua Feed, Coppens and Raanan are available internationally, so my recommendation isn’t restricted to just Nigeria.

What Feed Size to Give Your Catfishes:
Like I said earlier, there are various fish feed sizes, whether you go for floating or sinking feed; sinking feed is usually bigger, and longer, than floating feed.
From my experience, here are the different sizes I’m currently aware of:
1.5mm, 1.8mm, 2mm, 3mm, 4mm, 6mm, 8mm, 10mm, etc.
The bigger you fishes, the bigger the feed size they can pick.

Here’s what I recommend if you just stocked your ponds, if your fishes fall into the following categories:
Fingerlings (3 to 4 grams): 1.5mm feed size
Post-fingerlings (4 – 6 grams): 1.8mm feed size
Juvenile (6 – 10 grams): 2mm feed size
Post-juvenile (10 – 50 grams): 2mm feed size

As your fishes grow, the size of feed they can pick will increase. Here’s the feed size I recommend for bigger fishes, based on their size/weight, if you’re to give them floating feed:
10 – 50 grams: 2mm feed size
50 – 150 grams: 3mm feed size
150 – 400 grams: 4mm feed size
All things being equal, your fishes should be around 200 – 300 grams in 2 months with floating feed alone, if they are being fed properly; after then, you can switch to sinking feed and give them the following feed sizes:
200 – 300 grams: 2mm feed size
300 to 600 grams: 4mm feed size
600 grams to 1kg+: 6mm feed size
If your fishes exceed 1kg in weight, and you’re able to get bigger feed sizes, then you can consider giving them 8mm, or even later 10mm, feed sizes. 3 to 4kg fishes eat 6mm sinking feed just fine, though, so don’t worry too much if you can’t find bigger feed sizes.

How Often Should You Feed Your Fishes?

How often you feed your fishes will differ depending on a lot of factors, but for the results I get – an average of 1.5kg to 2kg fish size in 6 months – here’s what I recommend:
Fingerlings (3 to 4 grams): twice daily
Post-fingerlings (4 – 6 grams): once or twice daily
Juvenile (6 – 10 grams): once or twice daily
Post-juvenile (10 grams and above): once daily
Anything above post-juvenile: once daily
All things being equal, I feed my fishes daily until they reach the 6 months mark when I sell them; this is absolutely essential if you want optimal results.

Types of Catfish Feeding:

There are two feeding types I use for my fishes:

Broadcast Feeding:
This basically involves me going round my ponds and spreading floating feed all over the pond to ensure all the fishes in the pond can eat.
I use this for my fishes if they are in the fingerlings to post-juvenile stage, and I do this because they just got introduced into a large body of water, often from somewhere significantly smaller, and not all the fishes can come to the same spot to eat.
By spreading the floating (or extruding) fish across the pond, I’m ensuring they all get to eat.
Once my fishes become more mature, often this is in the post-juvenile stage or around 30 – 50 grams, I instantly switch to spot feeding.

Spot Feeding:
Spot feeding is less time-consuming and more effective, since it is less stressful and I can carefully monitor how my fishes are eating.
Spot feeding is basically me feeding my fishes in one spot.
I try getting my fishes to eat in one spot once they reach 30 – 50 grams, or after 2 – 3 weeks of stocking them from juvenile stage.
At first, if they are used to eating using the broadcast style, most of the fishes won’t come to a particular spot to eat; however, by ONLY feeding them on that spot for a few days, they’ll be conditioned to come to that spot and eat.

Buying Catfish Feed vs. Making Your Feed:

In the short time that I’ve been in this business, I’ve realized that you’ll be more profitable if you make your own feed as opposed to buying feed from major producers.
Some farmers rely on floating feed from producers like Durante and Aqua Feed to grow their fishes, but due to the expensive nature of these fishes, it can be unprofitable on the long term.
If you learn how to make your own feed, though, you’ll save a lot more money and you can have more impact on your fishes since you can easily control what they are eating.
That said, I recommend buying feed from feed producers like Raanan or Aqua Feed until your fishes reach 200 – 300 grams, and then giving them local feed.
Protein is the main ingredient in fish feed, and every good feed formula contains a significant amount of protein; however, fishes still need energy, mainly found in carbohydrate, to process and digest the feed so a protein-only feed isn’t going to be best.

My Fish Feed Formula:
That said, here’s the formula I use for my fishes depending on the stage they are at; this formula uses the Hhanstholm 72% fish meal; I use local fish that can be gotten here in Nigeria depending on availability, but there is a lot of fluctuations in their availability, which became especially pronounced during the 2015 elections, ensuring there hasn’t been local fish that fish farmers can use for over 2 months now at the time of writing this, so I’m giving a formula based on the Hanstholm 72% fish meal, since this is always available:

Feed Formula for 200 – 600 Grams Catfish:
Your catfishes are still very small and tender at this stage, so they need quality nutrient in their feed; this formula results in a feed rich in good protein but it is a bit expensive; it is not as expensive as using floating feed, though.
You should only have to use this feed formula for around 1 – 2 months.
Fish meal (Hanstholm, 72%): 25%
Soya Meal (or full fat soya): 30%
GNC (Groundnut cake): 20%
Dough/Maize/Biscuit (or other main forms of energy/carbohydrate): 20%
Molasses: 5%
(Based on this formula, 1 ton of fish feed will have: 250kg fish meal, 300kg soya meal, 200kg GNC, 200kg Dough, 50kg molasses)
The above are the main ingredients; you can then use other ingredients such as DCP (Dicalcium Phosphate), Methionine, Lysine, Salt, Vit. C, Fish Premixes, Antibiotics, etc. according to your preference.

Feed Formula for 600 Grams and Above:
Fish meal (Hanstholm, 72%): 10%
Soya Meal (or full fat soya): 40%
GNC (Groundnut cake): 20%
Dough/Maize/Biscuit (or other main forms of energy/carbohydrate): 25%
Molasses: 5%
(Based on this formula, 1 ton of fish feed will have: 100kg fish meal, 400kg soya meal, 200kg GNC, 250kg Dough, 50kg molasses)
The above are the main ingredients; you can then use other ingredients such as DCP (Dicalcium Phosphate), Methionine, Lysine, Salt, Vit. C, Fish Premixes, Antibiotics, etc. according to your preference.
PS. In my own case, for 1 ton of feed I use the following: DCP (Dicalcium Phosphate): 10kg, Methionine: 1kg, Lysine: 1kg, Salt: 2 – 3kg, Vit. C: 1kg, Fish Premixes: 5kg, Antibiotics: Optional, unless my fishes are sick (in which case the quantity depends on the antibiotics used; it’s often around 500g to 2kg for 1 ton of feed, though).

TO BE CONTINUED...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Tennorazy: 7:10pm On Jan 15, 2018
robonski15:
My fellow farmers and aspiring farmers fish business is no joke.. Its not what u toil with, its serious business.. Before u venture into it go and learn it practically.. Go to a good farm to see for youself.. Majority of the people that claim to be in the business are thieves.. They have sugar coated mouth to lure people into it and take their money...

I had to sqeeze out time to write this little piece for aspiring and practising farmers..

I am not here to sell any manual/books fingerlings or juvenile please.. Am here to answer any sort of question you need to know about catfish farming.. Feel free to ask me because I want the best for everybody,let's share ideas and make money together rather than exploiting people... So am all ears to your questions.. GOD BLESS YOU ALL..

visit www.agricnetwork.com to learn more about catfish farming business and also connect with other fish farmers. like us on [url]facebook.com/agricnetwork[/url]

Indeed i am happy to have come across this write-up, you've just given me the confident I needed. Thanks @Robonski. Please reply my mail that will be coming through and will also add up on WhatsApp to follow up.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by chilanfarms(m): 9:26pm On Jan 15, 2018
Happy new year great farmers. grin a yaf been away for awhile,good to be back with u all. This year shall be glorious. Chilanfarmz is still in the business of selling seeds of both catfish and tilapia, we still have in Stock matured broodstockz for sale. We thank all our old clients for their patronage n referrals God bless u all. Our contact remain 07065874135 or 08035231037

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 10:19pm On Jan 15, 2018
Tennorazy:

Indeed i am happy to have come across this write-up, you've just given me the confident I needed. Thanks @Robonski. Please reply my mail that will be coming through and will also add up on WhatsApp to follow up.

You can send me a mail on robonski15@gmail.com whatsapp 08061682047. cheers
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 10:21pm On Jan 15, 2018
Olupharez:
Oga Robonski, am quote from an old post.
When u said to "Maturity" do u mean 6 months?

Hi, u can start with a thousand fish,of which u can feed them comfortably till maturity with the available facility..After your first harvest u can increase your stocking...

My email is robonski15@rocketmail.com

4 to 5 months..
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by itayo99: 10:42pm On Jan 15, 2018
PLEASE I REALLY NEED HELP FROM ANY SUCCESSFUL FISH FARMER BECAUSE I INCURRED LOSSES FROM MY FIRST PRODUCTION DESPITE THE FACT THAT I HAD GOOD SIZE OF FISH AT 3MONTH AND 20 DAYS. I HARVESTED 600 FISHES OUT OF 700 STOCKED FISH ON EARTHEN POND. THE 600 HARVESTED GAVE ME 250KG BODY WEIGHT AT 3 MONTH 20DAYS.I FED DURATE THROUGH OUT OF THE PRODUCTION PERIOD TWICE IN A DAY. AT THE END OF THE PRODUCTION I INCURRED LOSSES OF 70 THOUSANDS NAIRA.

(1) (2) (3) ... (422) (423) (424) (425) (426) (427) (428) ... (523) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.