Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,891 members, 7,841,333 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 07:38 AM

CBN Cancels N100 Monthly ATM Maintenance Fee... - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / CBN Cancels N100 Monthly ATM Maintenance Fee... (19546 Views)

Tribunal Cancels The Election Of Nyesome Wike, INEC To Conduct Fresh Election / Lagos Cancels Movement’s Restriction For May Sanitation / NEDG Cancels Presidential Debate Over Election Shift Saga (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CBN Cancels N100 Monthly ATM Maintenance Fee... by saviola77(m): 9:01pm On Mar 29, 2013
Adesiji77: With respect to ATMs, i think we are missing a very vital point here;ATMs are costly to set up-Cost of the ATM, Rent for space (offsite ATMs), Cost of construction, Cost of inverters, Cost of power supply, Cost of maintenance and Staff costs of the ATM custodians. These are in addition to the costs that the Bank will bear for switching (Interswitch) now that the N100 charge for use of other banks ATMs has been removed. Each time you use the ATM, your bank pays about N75 to Interswitch. Imagine how much each bank would have to pay Interswitch for all her card holders in a year versus the N100 yearly charge! Now that CBN has pegged it at N100 YEARLY, only time will tell.....This is a populist policy but the last time i checked, banks are not charity organisations...This policy may induce them to find more creative ways of making money out of their customers and the common people will bear the brunt.
Spot on bro.
Re: CBN Cancels N100 Monthly ATM Maintenance Fee... by Adesiji77: 9:12pm On Mar 29, 2013
suniblu:

make we hear word. na me be charity organisation abi. do u kno how much dem dey make for my money wey dey dia hand. i go borrow person money take do business na me go still pay to collect my money. how much interest dem put. if i ve my way na under bed all my money go dey..all of dem be ole.

Cool down bro grin. It's a pity we don't have much of a choice cheesy
Re: CBN Cancels N100 Monthly ATM Maintenance Fee... by EmmyDe25(m): 9:23pm On Mar 29, 2013
Nd ds stewpid First Bank removd d N100 monthly wateva 2dae frm my hard earned money! If dem try ds same shit cum april, na Sanusi go settle our case.
Re: CBN Cancels N100 Monthly ATM Maintenance Fee... by Bigsteveg(m): 9:24pm On Mar 29, 2013
God don catch UBA
Re: CBN Cancels N100 Monthly ATM Maintenance Fee... by oka4bartho(m): 9:32pm On Mar 29, 2013
Abeg na which one b ATM?
Re: CBN Cancels N100 Monthly ATM Maintenance Fee... by kachi09(m): 9:49pm On Mar 29, 2013
koolguy88: this is a welcome development. welldone to the CBN governor
they will simply look for another means of extorting their customers.
Re: CBN Cancels N100 Monthly ATM Maintenance Fee... by lastpage: 9:52pm On Mar 29, 2013
pekelepekele: Well that is just too bad of CBN . I don't own a bank or either a bank staff but [b]one thing I have noticed is that since they canceled the N100 charge on different bank cards on a particular ATM machine the banks are no longer loading all their ATMS and ATM machines are becoming much more non reliable . They should just reduce the price to N50 because the banks won't carry out their proper duties in any area they are not earning from.[/b]

Then such Banks NEEDS TO BE SANCTIONED SEVERELY!

Do your duty or be punished. They cant use that one to blackmail us into giving them extra money.

Lastpage!

BTW: what do you do and how do you benefit from that #100? be honest, if na sms you dey sell or something! wink wink

1 Like

Re: CBN Cancels N100 Monthly ATM Maintenance Fee... by lastpage: 9:56pm On Mar 29, 2013
Adesiji77: With respect to ATMs, i think we are missing a very vital point here;ATMs are costly to set up-Cost of the ATM, Rent for space (offsite ATMs), Cost of construction, Cost of inverters, Cost of power supply, Cost of maintenance and Staff costs of the ATM custodians. These are in addition to the costs that the Bank will bear for switching (Interswitch) now that the N100 charge for use of other banks ATMs has been removed. Each time you use the ATM, your bank pays about N75 to Interswitch. Imagine how much each bank would have to pay Interswitch for all her card holders in a year versus the N100 yearly charge! Now that CBN has pegged it at N100 YEARLY, only time will tell.....This is a populist policy but the last time i checked, banks are not charity organisations...This policy may induce them to find more creative ways of making money out of their customers and the common people will bear the brunt.

Show us PROOF of this your assertion please, if it is TRUE!

Naija peeps will just bandy figure around like magician.

#75 naira kooo, #7,000 niii.

Lastpage!

5 Likes

Re: CBN Cancels N100 Monthly ATM Maintenance Fee... by Nobody: 9:58pm On Mar 29, 2013
pekelepekele: Well that is just too bad of CBN . I don't own a bank or either a bank staff but one thing I have noticed is that since they canceled the N100 charge on different bank cards on a particular ATM machine the banks are no longer loading all their ATMS and ATM machines are becoming much more non reliable . They should just reduce the price to N50 because the banks won't carry out their proper duties in any area they are not earning from.
I have never experienced such.
Re: CBN Cancels N100 Monthly ATM Maintenance Fee... by Emmyk(m): 10:10pm On Mar 29, 2013
sammy.young:
halleluyah grin grin grin
was charged by GTB just one dis year. At midnight, I received a text dat 70.00 was charged.. Omo. My eyes opened wide! I thought I saw 70k in my account ni
Re: CBN Cancels N100 Monthly ATM Maintenance Fee... by pareto(m): 10:12pm On Mar 29, 2013
Mr Lagido, it seems ur effort is geared toward the non-interest banking(Islamic banking). All your models to me are so unpopular and it is just because of ur political ambition.
Re: CBN Cancels N100 Monthly ATM Maintenance Fee... by bukahands(m): 10:12pm On Mar 29, 2013
lastpage:

Lastpage!

I concur if interswitch charged that much even withdrawing from ur bank's Atm would also cost money and CBN being aware of this will not abolish d N100 and for goodness sake interswitch would likely be one of the biggest companies in Africa

1 Like

Re: CBN Cancels N100 Monthly ATM Maintenance Fee... by 360command: 10:24pm On Mar 29, 2013
they used our atm charges to set up branches all over africa(well, some of it). i am glad that CBN has brought this initiative.
Re: CBN Cancels N100 Monthly ATM Maintenance Fee... by Tinyemeka(m): 10:29pm On Mar 29, 2013
Banks are expected to pay interests on deposits, pay staff salaries, settle general running expenses, purchase ATM machines for approx N6m apiece, settle their carriage and installation costs, pay for UPS, inverter purchase and maintenance, etc. Yet are expected to declare mega profits and bonuses to investors year in year out.

If Nairaland has roughly 500,000 unique registered members, I'm sure not up to 80% of that number, regularly maintain above N50,000 as savings. Extrapolate that to the rest of Nigeria's banked population.

If banks incur such costs on ATM installation and maintenance and people expect the services to be free, what makes the survival of that business model any different from those of NITEL and NEPA?

Me I'm patiently watching.

2 Likes

Re: CBN Cancels N100 Monthly ATM Maintenance Fee... by oseiwe(m): 10:39pm On Mar 29, 2013
Sanusi just wan wreck some banks. Since he assumed post, he just dey find how he go take kill business.
Re: CBN Cancels N100 Monthly ATM Maintenance Fee... by PHIPEX(m): 10:41pm On Mar 29, 2013
I believe the question we should ask is how much are banks in other countries charging for using ATM? Nigeria can't be an exception. To Nairalanders in diaspora, are you guys charged for using ATM?
Tinyemeka: Banks are expected to pay interests on deposits, pay staff salaries, settle general running expenses, purchase ATM machines for approx N6m apiece, settle their carriage and installation costs, pay for UPS, inverter purchase and maintenance, etc. Yet are expected to declare mega profits and bonuses to investors year in year out.

If Nairaland has roughly 500,000 unique registered members, I'm sure not up to 80% of that number, regularly maintain above N50,000 as savings. Extrapolate that to the rest of Nigeria's banked population.

If banks incur such costs on ATM installation and maintenance and people expect the services to be free, what makes the survival of that business model any different from those of NITEL and NEPA?

Me I'm patiently watching.
Re: CBN Cancels N100 Monthly ATM Maintenance Fee... by haryor1986(m): 10:42pm On Mar 29, 2013
Gud one
Re: CBN Cancels N100 Monthly ATM Maintenance Fee... by zeal22(m): 10:48pm On Mar 29, 2013
Banks are still making N 100 per transaction, your bank will be charged instead of you. ATM business is more competitive than before.
Re: CBN Cancels N100 Monthly ATM Maintenance Fee... by saviola77(m): 11:03pm On Mar 29, 2013
lastpage:

Lastpage!
He doesn't need to show you anything, you'll do well to find out for yourself. Switching fee isn't exactly cheap.

1 Like

Re: CBN Cancels N100 Monthly ATM Maintenance Fee... by Marpol: 11:29pm On Mar 29, 2013
Are they going to mandate the banks to revert the one they deducted already?
Re: CBN Cancels N100 Monthly ATM Maintenance Fee... by bukahands(m): 11:38pm On Mar 29, 2013
I prefer the initial way intra bank no charge, inter bank charge but the 240naira for foreign withdrawal shud remain o cos 1000naira too much
Re: CBN Cancels N100 Monthly ATM Maintenance Fee... by badesco(m): 11:44pm On Mar 29, 2013
i was still recieve a text from first bank yesterday that d sum of N100 atm maintenance charge has been deducted from my account and N10 as sms charge.
Re: CBN Cancels N100 Monthly ATM Maintenance Fee... by eksammy(m): 11:45pm On Mar 29, 2013
pekelepekele: Well that is just too bad of CBN . I don't own a bank or either a bank staff but one thing I have noticed is that since they canceled the N100 charge on different bank cards on a particular ATM machine the banks are no longer loading all their ATMS and ATM machines are becoming much more non reliable . They should just reduce the price to N50 because the banks won't carry out their proper duties in any area they are not earning from.

What you do not know is that while the N100 withdrawal charge was removed for atm customers, the CBN also approved a N75 inter bank chage for bank customers using their cards on another bank's ATM. For example, if a GTB customer use her card on firstbank's atm, GTB will have to pay first bank N75. So this will force the banks to either keep cash in their machines or they stop issuing cards as it will be incuring heavy costs for them.

oya pay me for this insider info wink cheesy cheesy
Re: CBN Cancels N100 Monthly ATM Maintenance Fee... by greall1: 11:47pm On Mar 29, 2013
Na dem Sabi

Re: CBN Cancels N100 Monthly ATM Maintenance Fee... by IBnatty(m): 11:59pm On Mar 29, 2013
Imanuelle: And firstbank debited me for Verve Card charges last night?

Damn!
Me too, those impatient corporate shylocks, they couldn't even wait. Kudos to Sanusi, jare.
Re: CBN Cancels N100 Monthly ATM Maintenance Fee... by oboshan1: 12:04am On Mar 30, 2013
@pekelepekele you are blaming. Cbn for. Their. Action tell M̶̲̅ε̲̣̣̣̥. When they were. Charging. 100 naira for. Maintenance, haven't the atm ever. bleeped you. Up, so tell M̶̲̅ε̲̣̣̣̥ what they are maintaining. Just imaging your bank has 10 million customers that means they collect close to 100million naira to maintain atm machine. Yet it still Bleep you up when. You need it. Most... Ifully support. Cbn thank u a lot. , if I use. That. 100 recharge just to call. My babe. Tell her good morning she. Go like am
Re: CBN Cancels N100 Monthly ATM Maintenance Fee... by soloqy: 12:21am On Mar 30, 2013
I think the 100 naira per month ATM charge is fair enough. The machines cost money to set up and maintain. I think we all like to take the posture of "we against them". Some of the things Sanusi is doing are questionable. The whole banking system is not and should not be gradually and systematically turned to Islamic system of banking. Commercial banks are there to make money while providing services, and in the process, employ our friends, family and acquaintances. It all trickles down. And if you think policies like this would not have an effect on things like employment in that sector, then think again. We always think of the immediate, and focus on ourselves in situations without looking at the big picture.

1 Like

Re: CBN Cancels N100 Monthly ATM Maintenance Fee... by soloqy: 12:25am On Mar 30, 2013
Double post
Re: CBN Cancels N100 Monthly ATM Maintenance Fee... by Tinyemeka(m): 12:41am On Mar 30, 2013
PHIPEX: I believe the question we should ask is how much are banks in other countries charging for using ATM? Nigeria can't be an exception. To Nairalanders in diaspora, are you guys charged for using ATM?

Another question you should also ask is how much do those banks declare as deposits and other liabilities? What is their balance sheet profile?

Since you wish to compare UBA, FBN, Zenith and co with RBS, Barclays, BoNY and Mellon.

You can use Google while you wait for those in Diaspora to respond.
Re: CBN Cancels N100 Monthly ATM Maintenance Fee... by docjuli(m): 1:57am On Mar 30, 2013
..."It said issuing fee of a debit card should exceed N1,000, while international withdrawals per transaction on debit cards should be charged at N240 rather than N1,000 being currently charged by almost all the banks"

Should exceed 1k? Why not precise CBN. Almost precise the validity period of a newly issued card. If Bank A charges 700 for a card for a validity period of 1yr and Bank B charges 1200 for a period of 2 years, one would think Bank A is cheaper without noticing the number of years\ of the card.

Thanks CBN though for the cancellation.
Re: CBN Cancels N100 Monthly ATM Maintenance Fee... by Venchy: 2:13am On Mar 30, 2013
Finally, somebody pick on this stupid charges on Ordinary Nigerians.

I ask someone at Access bank over the phone "What is all this charges all about about,N200.00 was deducted from my Account because i withdrew money over the counter as well as Fucking charges for checking my account online, SHOCKING.

I also ask, what's the point of online banking if I am going to be charged for DOING NO WRONG but login on to my account.

It's a shame that some Fat Cow in Nigerian Banking industry Deliberately set out to punish Ordinary people, what a relief from the CBN.

OLE, AUTHORITY STEALING....This one pass Arm Robbery.[b]

More reforms Please.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Wike Honours Osinbajo With A State Banquet (Photos) / Governors Fayose, Wike Storm Uyo For Akwa Ibom At 30 Celebration (Photos) / Peter Obi Receives International Republican Institute Envoy At LP Campaign HQ

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.