Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,939 members, 7,821,285 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:55 AM

12 Amazing Facts About Southeastern Nigeria - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 12 Amazing Facts About Southeastern Nigeria (9957 Views)

After War: Why Are Southeastern Cities Averagely Finer Than Southwestern Cities? / Whole Of Southeastern Nigeria Originates From Benin / Erosion Wreaks Havoc In Southeastern Nigeria | 31 October 2009 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 12 Amazing Facts About Southeastern Nigeria by ezeagu(m): 8:01pm On Mar 30, 2013
emiye: widely accepted by whom? those classification can be relative, except one stick to the one defined and recognised in the constitution of the country, If you look at the map, i can as well classify Benue state under "South Eastern" Nigeria,

You didn't know cardinal points are widely accepted and be whom? So cardinal points are relative now? Why would I or anyone be upset with you placing Benue in southeastern Nigeria? At least if I have an objection to that I can use actual geographical features like the climate and topography to back it up. But I don't, so do you have any interesting Benue facts to add to the list?
Re: 12 Amazing Facts About Southeastern Nigeria by seanet02: 8:03pm On Mar 30, 2013
ezeagu:

You didn't know cardinal points are widely accepted and be whom? So cardinal points are relative now? Why would I or anyone be upset with you placing Benue in southeastern Nigeria? At least if I have an objection to that I can use actual geographical features like the climate and topography to back it up. But I don't, so do you have any interesting Benue facts to add to the list?
You lack basic geographical knowledge. What a waste of scarce resources.
Re: 12 Amazing Facts About Southeastern Nigeria by ezeagu(m): 8:04pm On Mar 30, 2013
Keep bumping my threads for me.

shymexx: Can we also get some information about Igbo-ukwu arts??

The link I posted is quite good.
Re: 12 Amazing Facts About Southeastern Nigeria by Nobody: 8:04pm On Mar 30, 2013
ezeagu:
6. The Bantu expansion, which birthed the majority of the population between the current nations of Cameroon and South Africa all the way to Kenya, is said to have began in the SE.

are Igbos Bantu?
Re: 12 Amazing Facts About Southeastern Nigeria by ezeagu(m): 8:06pm On Mar 30, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: are Igbos Bantu?

Some people say they are semi-Bantu or even proto-Bantu. Some believe they are the pre-cursor to the Bantu people but are not fully Bantu themselves. Igbo culture is quite similar to Bantu cultures as you may know.
Re: 12 Amazing Facts About Southeastern Nigeria by EkoIle1: 8:08pm On Mar 30, 2013
Must you people always make up stories about yourselves just to do follow follow?

smh........

1 Like

Re: 12 Amazing Facts About Southeastern Nigeria by Nobody: 8:08pm On Mar 30, 2013
ezeagu:
The Nri Kingdom has a new years festival known as Igu aro which literally means 'the counting of the years'. It happens once yearly and it is marked by the appearance of the Eze (king) and the blessing of people who made pilgrimage to Nri from other lands. The Igu aro festival marks the years by ritually counting them. They are on the 1014th year as of February 2013. The earliest archaeological discovery associated with Nri is actually in Igbo-Ukwu in a part that used to be part of the Kingdom. The main discovery at Igbo-Ukwu was a unknown noblemans chamber (which had collapsed) and they found bronzes and art that were fashioned in a style still used by the Nri people till this day. The Nri themselves dat the first monarch of their kingdoms reign to the 10th century.

However, I honestly don't think Nri Kingdom is the oldest continuous Kingdom in Africa - I also doubt it's the oldest in Nigeria, tbh... Thebes(Egypt), Djenné-Jeno(Mali), Axum(Ethiopia), Carthage(Tunisia), Alexandria(Egypt), Ife(Nigeria), Igodomigodo/Benin(Nigeria), Avalite(Somalia) etc. are older than Nri and all those Kingdoms are still alive today...
Re: 12 Amazing Facts About Southeastern Nigeria by Sibrah: 8:09pm On Mar 30, 2013
Nice thread
Re: 12 Amazing Facts About Southeastern Nigeria by Nobody: 8:11pm On Mar 30, 2013
ezeagu:

Some people say they are semi-Bantu or even proto-Bantu. Some believe they are the pre-cursor to the Bantu people but are not fully Bantu themselves. Igbo culture is quite similar to Bantu cultures as you may know.

So, Igbos are related to Ijaws, Tiv, Calabar and other bantuoid groups in Nigeria, no?? Interesting stuff...
Re: 12 Amazing Facts About Southeastern Nigeria by ezeagu(m): 8:14pm On Mar 30, 2013
shymexx:

However, I honestly don't think Nri Kingdom is the oldest continuous Kingdom in Africa - I also doubt it's the oldest in Nigeria, tbh... Thebes(Egypt), Djenné-Jeno(Mali), Axum(Ethiopia), Carthage(Tunisia), Alexandria(Egypt), Ife(Nigeria), Igodomigodo/Benin(Nigeria), Avalite(Somalia) etc. are older than Nri and all those Kingdoms are still alive today...

Nri in Nigeria is considered the oldest. The kingdoms you listed either no-longer exist ("Thebes(Egypt), Djenné-Jeno(Mali), Axum(Ethiopia), Carthage(Tunisia), Alexandria(Egypt), Avalite(Somalia)" ) or are younger (Ife(Nigeria)), and/or are not continuous (Igodomigodo/Benin(Nigeria)).

I think the most important thing is that radiocarbon dates of Nri-related noblemen date back before 10th century.

3 Likes

Re: 12 Amazing Facts About Southeastern Nigeria by ezeagu(m): 8:16pm On Mar 30, 2013
shymexx:

So, Igbos are related to Ijaws, Tiv, Calabar and other bantuoid groups in Nigeria, no?? Interesting stuff...

Yes.
Re: 12 Amazing Facts About Southeastern Nigeria by Nobody: 8:16pm On Mar 30, 2013
ezeagu:

Thanks. i have always thought so, but the amount of insults i received from voicing it out on this forum made me think Bantu was an insult in Igboland grin grin.

but i don't think you can be the precursor of something and not being the thing.

the first gay was a gay grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: 12 Amazing Facts About Southeastern Nigeria by Nobody: 8:19pm On Mar 30, 2013
ezeagu:
Nri in Nigeria is considered the oldest. The kingdoms you listed either no-longer exist ("Thebes(Egypt), Djenné-Jeno(Mali), Axum(Ethiopia), Carthage(Tunisia), Alexandria(Egypt), Avalite(Somalia)" ) or are younger (Ife(Nigeria)), and/or are not continuous (Igodomigodo/Benin(Nigeria)).

I think the most important thing is that radiocarbon dates of Nri-related noblemen date back before 10th century.

Thebes, Carthage, Axum, Alexandria, and Avalite still exist... Thebes(now called Luxor after the Greeks) is still there and Carthage is still alive...

I don't want to derail the thread but both Ife and Benin date back to the 4th century BC...

3 Likes

Re: 12 Amazing Facts About Southeastern Nigeria by Nobody: 8:20pm On Mar 30, 2013
ezeagu:

Yes.

Lmaooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Where's Okwunazo3??

Seriously, that chic needs to stop DENYING her bantu heritage and ancestry!! grin

However, some Igbos might be semitic(esp. Western Igbos) as well, since Igbos aren't homogeneous..

PS: there's nothing bad in being a bantu but most of us from the West aren't bantuoid... We're mostly semitic/Afro-asiatic...

1 Like

Re: 12 Amazing Facts About Southeastern Nigeria by ezeagu(m): 8:20pm On Mar 30, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: Thanks. i have always thought so, but the amount of insults i received from voicing it out on this forum made me think Bantu was an insult in Igboland grin grin.

but i don't think you can be the precursor of something and not being the thing.

the first gay was a gay grin grin grin

Most Igbo people don't know what Bantu is. The pre-cursor means that the Bantu may have migrated out of the lands while the Igbo stayed, and the Igbo language isn't classed with the Bantu branch.
Re: 12 Amazing Facts About Southeastern Nigeria by emiye(m): 8:21pm On Mar 30, 2013
ezeagu:

Ok, i get your view, but i initially thought your focus was on igbos. but i still feel you have failed to define the scope of south eastern nigeria.
Re: 12 Amazing Facts About Southeastern Nigeria by Nobody: 8:26pm On Mar 30, 2013
ezeagu:

Most Igbo people don't know what Bantu is. The pre-cursor means that the Bantu may have migrated out of the lands while the Igbo stayed, and the Igbo language isn't classed with the Bantu branch.
shocked shocked

2nd bold if that theory is true then they are not Bantu.
as for the languuage classification, mehn i don't buy that ,it has been done my white men who had no understanding of our languages.

Nice thread.
Re: 12 Amazing Facts About Southeastern Nigeria by EzeCanada: 8:29pm On Mar 30, 2013
13. One of the lost tribes of Israel - the tribe of Gad- has been traced to Enugwu Agulueri located in South Eastern Nigeria.
Obu Gad - The ancient stone throne of Gad- in Enugwu aguleri is a major tourist destination in Anambra State, South East Nigeria.
http://www.igbofriendsofisrael.com/
Re: 12 Amazing Facts About Southeastern Nigeria by Nobody: 8:31pm On Mar 30, 2013
^^ b proud of what you are a BANTU-IGBO angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: 12 Amazing Facts About Southeastern Nigeria by ezeagu(m): 8:31pm On Mar 30, 2013
shymexx:

Thebes, Carthage, Axum, Alexandria, and Avalite still exist... Thebes(now called Luxor after the Greeks) is still there and Carthage is still alive...

I don't want to derail the thread but both Ife and Benin date back to the 4th century BC...

There is no living recognised king of those ancient empires. There is no living king of Alexandria, the original culture of these places don't even exist anymore. If it were a case of the oldest kingdom in the world by date established and not by present existence (which I believe you're confusing) then it would be impossible to know since this could be anything from 6 to 10,000 years ago. Ife settlement dates back to that date, but the present monarchical establishment started with someone from around the 12th century.
Re: 12 Amazing Facts About Southeastern Nigeria by Nobody: 8:32pm On Mar 30, 2013
EzeCanada: 13. One of the lost tribes of Israel - the tribe of Gad- has been traced to Enugwu Agulueri located in South Eastern Nigeria.
Obu Gad - The ancient stone throne of Gad- in Enugwu aguleri is a major tourist destination in Anambra State, South East Nigeria.
http://www.igbofriendsofisrael.com/

Lmao... Can't you see your Bantu ancestry up there?? undecided undecided
Re: 12 Amazing Facts About Southeastern Nigeria by Nobody: 8:33pm On Mar 30, 2013
ezeagu:

Simple common knowledge of geography would tell you that Calabar is in the eastern portion of the south of Nigeria. Common knowledge. There is no such thing as a "south-south" on a compass, just like "east-east", "north-north", and "west-west" are nonsensical and nonexistent in civilised societies.
If that's the case, then your topic title is misleading. it should have been interesting facts about eastern Nigeria not southeastern Nigeria.
Re: 12 Amazing Facts About Southeastern Nigeria by Nobody: 8:35pm On Mar 30, 2013
ezeagu:
There is no living recognised king of those ancient empires. There is no living king of Alexandria, the original culture of these places don't even exist anymore. If it were a case of the oldest kingdom in the world by date established and not by present existence (which I believe you're confusing) then it would be impossible to know since this could be anything from 6 to 10,000 years ago. Ife settlement dates back to that date, but the present monarchical establishment started with someone from around the 12th century.

Oh ok..
Re: 12 Amazing Facts About Southeastern Nigeria by EkoIle1: 8:36pm On Mar 30, 2013
Topic and content is very bogus and misleading, believe the non credible facts at your own risk...
Re: 12 Amazing Facts About Southeastern Nigeria by 1MCN: 8:37pm On Mar 30, 2013
Nd'Igbo are the Nigerians with the highest number of intellectuals/professionals competing on the global stage (there are sure several other blacks and Nigerians but Igbo has the Lion share in numbers).
@OP, Maybe you forget to say that Nd'Igbo are the only people of black fatherland who have an Honourable Member since 2010 in the British House of Parliament (Chuka Ukanna from Anambra S/E Nigeria).
Calabar as at the period of the history stated belonged to Eastern Nig.
Chineke gozie ebe M si bia ya na ndi bi na ya.
God Bless Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: 12 Amazing Facts About Southeastern Nigeria by Nobody: 8:43pm On Mar 30, 2013
1MCN:
@OP, Maybe you forget to say that Nd'Igbo are the only people of black fatherland who have an Honourable Member since 2010 in the British House of Parliament (Chuka Ukanna from Anambra S/E Nigeria).
Calabar as at the period of the history stated belonged to Eastern Nig.
Chineke gozie ebe M si bia ya na ndi bi na ya.
God Bless Nigeria

^^^^What about the two Ghanaian MPs, are they not black as well?? Heck, one's the future conservative leader, he should dislodge David Cameron before the next election...

SMFDH.. undecided undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Breaking News: "After The Election Wey Dem Dey" Crooner Arrested (photos) / Nigeria’s Problems Started With Awo’s Introduction Of Tribal Politics — Unongo / Sanwo-Olu Wins Vanguard Personality Of The Year (Picures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.