Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,667 members, 7,816,743 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:09 PM

On Demonic Afflictions - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / On Demonic Afflictions (12715 Views)

Scriptures Expounded:Brethren In The World Also Suffer Afflictions-1Peter5:8-10 / Flesh Eater, Demonic Prostitute Exposed In Lagos Crusade(pics). / Smart Phones Are Demonic: A Nairalanders Experience (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: On Demonic Afflictions by Nobody: 5:38pm On Apr 05, 2013
50calibre:

Wait! Are you trying to preach to me about Jesus Christ? Because even Jesus himself casted out a legion of demons from a man and they went into a swine ( herd of pigs) so I don't understand your point.

I said your post struck a real balance...

Ahh ! I know you are radical for Jesus... Farabaleeh ! your blood too dey hot cheesy...

FutureDon: As a Neuroscientist, I strongly assert that religion has no place in science. Further, the aspect of neuroscience concerned with brain activities and religious practices (Neurotheology) is somewhat confused about its subject matter.

However, I think it depends on individual's religious and cultural beliefs. For instance, you would hardly see an nonreligious 'oyinbo' attributing the cause of his/her neurological illness to a demonic attack.

In conclusion, religion (religious activities) is sorrowfully exaggerated in our dear country.

Baseless assertion.If scientists go beyond their boundaries, they will cause great havoc and perhaps extinct humans. There should be a balance, that is all.

You sabi pass Albert Einstein ? One of the greatest scientist in Human history.

Besides, why can't psychiatrists cure all the psycho's going postal in the USA, shooting down people every now and then. To cure mental cases, you have to renew the spirit and how do you do that? Drugs all your life?

Jesus Christ said, 'come, all you that are heavy laden and I will give you rest'.
Re: On Demonic Afflictions by 50calibre(m): 5:45pm On Apr 05, 2013
FutureDon: As a Neuroscientist, I strongly assert that religion has no place in science. Further, the aspect of neuroscience concerned with brain activities and religious practices (Neurotheology) is somewhat confused about its subject matter.

However, I think it depends on individual's religious and cultural beliefs. For instance, you would hardly see an nonreligious 'oyinbo' attributing the cause of his/her neurological illness to a demonic attack.

In conclusion, religion (religious activities) is sorrowfully exaggerated in our dear country.

You are a neuroscientist? Wow! I have a lot of respect for neuroscientists. I had a delicate brain surgery last year and I got to see first hand the indispensablity of neuro medical practitioners.
Re: On Demonic Afflictions by neey1051(m): 5:46pm On Apr 05, 2013
we all know GOD is the one charge of all things dat angels cant do what he does and is very powerful my question is this, u claim dat jesus is GOD and he died 4 three days so whenhe died 4 three days who was in charge[/quote]
The Holy Spirit and God the Father wink
Re: On Demonic Afflictions by neey1051(m): 5:49pm On Apr 05, 2013
Lanrefahm: another question, we all know GOD is the one charge of all things dat angels cant do what he does and is very powerful my question is this, u claim dat jesus is GOD and he died 4 three days so whenhe died 4 three days who was in charge
The Holy Spirit and God the Father winkwink,...that's why it's called TRINITY
Re: On Demonic Afflictions by FXKing2012(m): 5:58pm On Apr 05, 2013
50calibre:

No it was called for. maybe bringing up his mum was a bit crass but I used it to buttress my point. He answers his own questions regarding me unequivocally and with certainty and he doesn't even know me. Is he a magician?

People make unguarded statements and loose talk, statements they can't back up when called upon to walk the talk. The guy should learn to say only what he is sure of and learn to put his money where his mouth is.
I understand your annoyance but still not enough to insult the innocent old woman.
Re: On Demonic Afflictions by FXKing2012(m): 6:04pm On Apr 05, 2013
^^^ Not maybe, she's definitely living with the spirit without knowing it. She needs deliverance.
Re: On Demonic Afflictions by 50calibre(m): 6:05pm On Apr 05, 2013
Olodostein:

I said your post struck a real balance...

Ahh ! I know you are radical for Jesus... Farabaleeh ! your blood too dey hot cheesy...

Baseless assertion.If scientists go beyond their boundaries, they will cause great havoc and perhaps extinct humans. There should be a balance, that is all.

Besides, why can't psychiatrists cure all the psycho's going postal in the USA, shooting down people every now and then. To cure mental cases, you have to renew the spirit and how do you do that? Drugs all your life?

Jesus Christ said, 'come, all you that are heavy laden and I will give you rest'.

Lol my bad, I misunderstood. Yes oh! As much as I very much believe in science, I also believe a lot in Jesus. I have learnt to compartmentalise my mind to find a balance. I believe in evolution as well as creationism.

Scientist believe that the supernatural has no basis or validity but when they see the extra-ordinary they classify it as unexplained phenomenon. The US government has lots of classified and even declassified case files of many of such unexplained phenomenon.

Scientist just choose not to believe in something they can't prove.
Re: On Demonic Afflictions by Okijajuju1(m): 6:10pm On Apr 05, 2013
50calibre:

No it was called for. maybe bringing up his mum was a bit crass but I used it to buttress my point. He answers his own questions regarding me unequivocally and with certainty and he doesn't even know me. Is he a magician?

People make unguarded statements and loose talk, statements they can't back up when called upon to walk the talk. The guy should learn to say only what he is sure of and learn to put his money where his mouth is.

Name a price and I'll take you on..

If you can show us here a picture of you holding any of the following:

1. A Ouiji Board

2. The 6th & 7th Books of Moses

3. A Voodoo doll

For each one you show us here, I will remit 50,000 Naira into ur account. Show all and get 200,000.

Nuff said.. angry

P.S: On the issue of my mother, what can I say... There is no point stooping down to your level to play like that.
Re: On Demonic Afflictions by ItsUncleDee(m): 6:17pm On Apr 05, 2013
ijeoma100: "Demonic afflictions" are just words made up by the ignorant to describe a medical condition that they haven't a clue about. Because a doctor can't diagnose/cure a disease doesn't mean it's caused by demons - medical science has never claimed to know everything and death and disease are inevitabilities of life.

The only reason why "demons" are so rampant in Nigeria is because religion prospers when people are afraid and the church coffers grow fat. The myth is continually being spread by ruthless "men of God" and is hungrily being lapped up by gullible Nigerians.

If the health service in Nigeria was better and doctors were more able to diagnose and treat, then all this nonsense about demonic afflictions and all the other types of superstitious garbage would've been a thing of the past.
mayb u've nt experience it b4 n i pray u won't...o ye of little faith, lyf is beyond wat u r tinkin of
Re: On Demonic Afflictions by FutureDon(m): 6:18pm On Apr 05, 2013
Olodostein:

Based on the tone of your post (directed at me), it appears you want to engage in a verbal battle with me. Also, I don't argue with people who sees religion as everything.

You talked about renewing spirit, with a reference to US shootings. Are you saying spiritual renewal puts an end to all forms of psych/neurological disorders including anatomical impairments in the brain?

You need a serious lecture on mind/body dualism. This is not the right thread to do that as I wouldn't want to derail it.
Re: On Demonic Afflictions by stankezzy: 6:22pm On Apr 05, 2013
ijeoma100: "Demonic afflictions" are just words made up by the ignorant to describe a medical condition that they haven't a clue about. Because a doctor can't diagnose/cure a disease doesn't mean it's caused by demons - medical science has never claimed to know everything and death and disease are inevitabilities of life.

The only reason why "demons" are so rampant in Nigeria is because religion prospers when people are afraid and the church coffers grow fat. The myth is continually being spread by ruthless "men of God" and is hungrily being lapped up by gullible Nigerians.

If the health service in Nigeria was better and doctors were more able to diagnose and treat, then all this nonsense about demonic afflictions and all the other types of superstitious garbage would've been a thing of the past.
in japan,usa,britain,germany,france.even canada,there is nothing anybody from africa will be organizing over there ,be it comedians,musicians or any other thing that will make these white people ,attend in numbers.you will only see fellow africans nd latinos.but why is it that with their science nd wisdon, nd talk against religion still they troupe out en-mass when ever big african man of God like pastor chris,adeboye;duncan williams from ghana.visits
ANSWER-because they have found out that there is limitation to science.
if oyibo with their knowledge believes,who are u with ur minor B.....
Re: On Demonic Afflictions by FutureDon(m): 6:24pm On Apr 05, 2013
50calibre:

You are a neuroscientist? Wow! I have a lot of respect for neuroscientists. I had a delicate brain surgery last year and I got to see first hand the indispensablity of neuro medical practitioners.

Yea a proud one smiley still receiving advanced training though. I hope you have been able to recuperate? I agree with you, the field of neuroscience is interestingly complicated.
Re: On Demonic Afflictions by Spacodinho(m): 6:33pm On Apr 05, 2013

so in essence you are trying to say that people don't die in the western world were there medical facilities are world class. Have'nt you ask yourself the question why india are the greatest in the world right now in terms of medical expertise, "simple it is because of buddism and hinduism" more importantly katrina!
Re: On Demonic Afflictions by Nobody: 6:52pm On Apr 05, 2013
FutureDon:

Based on the tone of your post (directed at me), it appears you want to engage in a verbal battle with me. Also, I don't argue with people who sees religion as everything.

You talked about renewing spirit, with a reference to US shootings. Are you saying spiritual renewal puts an end to all forms of psych/neurological disorders including anatomical impairments in the brain?

You need a serious lecture on mind/body dualism. This is not the right thread to do that as I wouldn't want to derail it.

I am learning to be succinct buddy grin. Did you see this documentary on Aljezzera; indian hospitals ? One of the best surgeons in India - he was Mother Thereasa's Dr - said that religion and science works hand in hand. I am not religious, I work in a field that is very logical in solving problems. Now, it can be misinforming to hear Scientists take credit or perhaps discard what they don't fundamentally understand.

I used the US as an example because of the rising shootings there which has more to do with neurological issues as they are claiming; perhaps it has more to do with seeds of discontent.

My point is; Science and Religion should be balanced for optimum result..

stankezzy: in japan,usa,britain,germany,france.even canada,there is nothing anybody from africa will be organizing over there ,be it comedians,musicians or any other thing that will make these white people ,attend in numbers.you will only see fellow africans nd latinos.but why is it that with their science nd wisdon, nd talk against religion still they troupe out en-mass when ever big african man of God like pastor chris,adeboye;duncan williams from ghana.visits
ANSWER-because they have found out that there is limitation to science.
if oyibo with their knowledge believes,who are u with ur minor B.....

Great post. Yes, the western world has come to understand that there is a grey area; a missing link. And the next generation of scientists and leaders who would be able to create this balance would be the Great movers of the next wave of human civilization or existence.
Re: On Demonic Afflictions by babanne(m): 6:52pm On Apr 05, 2013
Lanrefahm: another question, we all know GOD is the one charge of all things dat angels cant do what he does and is very powerful my question is this, u claim dat jesus is GOD and he died 4 three days so whenhe died 4 three days who was in charge
You see, that is one major area where christendom had got it wrong. in fact, they have misled many with that doctrine equating jesus with god. but true christians know that jesus is not god. as a matter of fact, there is nowhere that the bible says jesus is god. so when jesus was on earth and when he died, god was in heaven, in charge.thats why when jesus was on earth he prayed to his father in heaven who was in charge.
Re: On Demonic Afflictions by Nobody: 7:10pm On Apr 05, 2013
babanne:
You see, that is one major area where christendom had got it wrong. in fact, they have misled many with that doctrine equating jesus with god. but true christians know that jesus is not god. as a matter of fact, there is nowhere that the bible says jesus is god. so when jesus was on earth and when he died, god was in heaven, in charge.thats why when jesus was on earth he prayed to his father in heaven who was in charge.

Good one brother. And Jesus said, 'Father have mercy on them, for they know not what they do'.

In lay man terms, its more like: God the Father is the Chief Executive Office; Jesus, the Director and the Holy Spirit, the Manager cool cool
Re: On Demonic Afflictions by 50calibre(m): 7:28pm On Apr 05, 2013
FutureDon:

Yea a proud one smiley still receiving advanced training though. I hope you have been able to recuperate? I agree with you, the field of neuroscience is interestingly complicated.

Yeah I had a speedy recovery, initially I thought I would go bald around the spot the procedure was performed but one year on I'm fully recovered and hair has covered the area.

Good luck to you and more grease to your elbow.
Re: On Demonic Afflictions by FutureDon(m): 7:31pm On Apr 05, 2013
Olodostein:

I am learning to be succinct buddy grin. Did you see this documentary on Aljezzera; indian hospitals ? One of the best surgeons in India - he was Mother Thereasa's Dr - said that religion and science works hand in hand. I am not religious, I work in a field that is very logical in solving problems. Now, it can be misinforming to hear Scientists take credit or perhaps discard what they don't fundamentally understand.

I used the US as an example because of the rising shootings there which has more to do with neurological issues as they are claiming; perhaps it has more to do with seeds of discontent.

My point is; Science and Religion should be balanced for optimum result..

I liked your well reasoned response grin. I've not seen that documentary but would try to look it up.

@bolded, I partly agree with you. Although I'm not trying to contradict my previous assertions, it sometimes difficult to completely separate science from religion. Take for example the relationship between (brain trauma, Out-of-body experience and religion) or (Parkinson disease vs religiosity).

Another point to note is that most religious experiences are based on individual's account which makes it scientifically unjustifiable. Until there is a universal paradigm to assess religious experiences, that 'wide gap' won't cease to exist.

I think the relationship (if any) between science and religion is an enigma waiting to be demystified smiley

1 Like

Re: On Demonic Afflictions by 50calibre(m): 7:50pm On Apr 05, 2013
Okija_juju:

Name a price and I'll take you on..

If you can show us here a picture of you holding any of the following:

1. A Ouiji Board

2. The 6th & 7th Books of Moses

3. A Voodoo doll

For each one you show us here, I will remit 50,000 Naira into ur account. Show all and get 200,000.

Nuff said.. angry

P.S: On the issue of my mother, what can I say... There is no point stooping down to your level to play like that.

First my apologies for calling your mum.

Now! Your questions to which you answered were - have I seen the aforementioned items and my answer is YES I have seen some. I never told you I was in possession of any of those nor do I intend to.

As far as your wager goes, I don't have a bank account in Nigeria and I also have no assurances that you would even come through with your bet should I win so that arrangement is not feasible.

But should you come up with a foolproof way to stake our bets that ensures no one is cheated, I would get up, head to one of the many shops I've seen numerous times that sell mystic/witchcraft items, I would take picture of the items on their shelves and then upload then here. If you want, you can even check on eBay, you would find some of the items there.

Also in these day/age of information and the Internet, when you hear something you aren't familiar with, you google it, the Internet is a treasure trove of information. That is what shows you've moved along with the times.

Lastly did you think calling me nigger is offensive? I am a nigger, a proud nigger and as such, I should behave as a nigger so next time think of a more offensive adjective because being called a nigger isn't offensive to me most especially coming from a fellow nigger.
Re: On Demonic Afflictions by FutureDon(m): 8:04pm On Apr 05, 2013
@50calibre

Good to hear. Thanks boss!
Re: On Demonic Afflictions by 50calibre(m): 8:31pm On Apr 05, 2013
@Okija_juju: here.

Re: On Demonic Afflictions by 50calibre(m): 8:32pm On Apr 05, 2013
Also

Re: On Demonic Afflictions by 50calibre(m): 8:33pm On Apr 05, 2013
Don't waste your wager, you would lose it.

Re: On Demonic Afflictions by Nobody: 8:37pm On Apr 05, 2013
musKeeto: Edit:
Morning everyone,
I wouldn't like to derail the sleep paralysis thread.

I'm no medical student, neither do I claim to have more than basic knowledge of common neurological terms. Hopefully, I'll learn a bit from this thread..

Considering most of the religious' stance on the aforecited thread, I have a few questions I would like answered:

Do you belive any form of neurological disease can be caused by demons/evil spirits?
Is there any way to tell if a stroke for example is caused by a demonic attack or fatigue?

Okay, make that 2 grin

Brother there are several tinz that can't b explained first of all I have to tell yu this when someone is sometimes afflicted the first thing that comes to his mind is "its normal its just a disease"and actually that is the notion the. Devil wants yu to have, you will see people that will support your notion or tell you that you are pessimistic but there is smtin in you or somewhere sayin "open your inner eyes"*Afterall there is nothin lik seeking healing from the most high so you shouldn't underate anytin at all.
Re: On Demonic Afflictions by Nobody: 8:50pm On Apr 05, 2013
@ futuredon,u an atheist?
Re: On Demonic Afflictions by NLGwoodey: 9:05pm On Apr 05, 2013
No...it is cured with lashes of cane. Ask any mad man/woman
Re: On Demonic Afflictions by Nobody: 9:07pm On Apr 05, 2013
FutureDon:

I liked your well reasoned response grin. I've not seen that documentary but would try to look it up.

@bolded, I partly agree with you. Although I'm not trying to contradict my previous assertions, it sometimes difficult to completely separate science from religion. Take for example the relationship between (brain trauma, Out-of-body experience and religion) or (Parkinson disease vs religiosity).

Another point to note is that most religious experiences are based on individual's account which makes it scientifically unjustifiable. Until there is a universal paradigm to assess religious experiences, that 'wide gap' won't cease to exist.

I think the relationship (if any) between science and religion is an enigma waiting to be demystified smiley

I have had personal religious experiences, after so many years of chasing the wind by questioning the relevance of religion/spirituality in our existence, particularly in Africa. It motivated me to further study psychology/theology to find a balance.

Talking about psychology which overlaps with neuroscience in some ways; after years of experimental research and so on with numerous school of thoughts in understanding the intricacies of the mind to no tangible avail. A new approach known as Humanistic psychology with roots in christianity pioneered by Abraham Maslow and the being is becoming widely accepted as the central theme within the academic circles.

We can't use the Scientific method to quantify religion or to put it more appropriately, Faith. When it comes to Faith, it's either you believe or you don't. There are no two ways about it. I have deep respect for neuroscientist - the brain is perhaps the most complicated thing to study. However, they ought to recognize their limitations and seek for continuous wisdom and knowledge from the Omniscience. I spent sometime in Egypt. The best Pharmacists and Doctors you could ever come across are devout Muslims( Islamist as they like to call them in the west ).

In essence, by the quote of Carl Sagan, in the book: The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light‐years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. So are our emotions in the presence of great art or music or literature, or acts of exemplary selfless courage such as those of Mohandas Gandhi or Martin Luther King, Jr. The notion that science and spirituality are somehow mutually exclusive does a disservice to both.”
Re: On Demonic Afflictions by Okijajuju1(m): 9:10pm On Apr 05, 2013
50calibre: Don't waste your wager, you would lose it.

interesting.. So what's demonic about a board game you can buy off a shelve!?
Re: On Demonic Afflictions by NLGwoodey: 9:16pm On Apr 05, 2013
50calibre:

... go into a mystic book store and buy voodoo or 7 Books of Moses or any other mystic book or you could even buy an ouija board game, play it and then come back, lets discuss.

You know..I use the 6th & 7th Book of Moses...I still don't get what the big deal is all about.
I have it in my hand right now. I don't know anyone who can follow all the rules/laws/conditions in this book.
It tells you how to conjure spirits (good or bad). But where in the world can you get a rabbi to write
the commands on patches?

I use it to conjure sometimes...Have had nightmares after reading it..not sure if works though

It kinda reminds one of babalawo requesting an ant's gills, nose hair of a tiger, or other impossible requests.
Re: On Demonic Afflictions by FutureDon(m): 9:51pm On Apr 05, 2013
Beretta92: @ futuredon,u an atheist?

I'm a Christian with a 'superficial liking' for Islam. However, I detest religious fanatics. I find myself watching Islamic sermons (by Nigerian Sheiks) atimes on youtube, not because I'm looking at converting, but I strive to learn more about this thing called religion.
Re: On Demonic Afflictions by An0nimus: 9:56pm On Apr 05, 2013
okemmadu: Another question: Can sickness be healed by having faith in the Word of God?

In fact, Can the Word of God produce any significant effect?
Yes and yes.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Does Using Healing Crystals Fall Under Magic, Witchcraft And Sorcery? / Place all your difficult questions for Nairaland atheists here / Camilla Mberekpe’s Confession: Is It African Magic Or Holy Spirit In Action?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.