Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,019 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:53 AM

Game Of Thrones Vs Spartacus - TV/Movies (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Game Of Thrones Vs Spartacus (54586 Views)

Quotes From Spartacus, Movies And Series... / Spartacus:vengeance Is Out (discussion) / Any Spartacus : Blood And Sand Fans? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Game Of Thrones Vs Spartacus by joseph1013: 3:53pm On Nov 23, 2013
Obi1kenobi:
Yes, that is why Spartacus cannot get even one single nomination in the elite awards like the Emmys and Golden Globes while Game of Thrones continues to sweep awards. See how you're embarrassing yourself. Spartacus is an amateurish series that caters to a certain kind of audience who either lack or don't the patience to grasp an intricate plotline. Game of Thrones is a mature, elite series. They are not close to being on the same level at all. People that love Spartacus are likely to love crappy series like Merlin, Legend of the Seeker etc. They're also likely to love WWE Wrestling.

Are you fuú.cckk.ing kidding me? Really? I have been disappointed by hypey movies, but none comes close to GOT. And to think that some actually love that Season 1! Boringness seems to be hereditary for some people. Smh

And fyi, awards can be deceptive. History will seem to tell us that Pirlo is not a top player (cos he's not won a top individual award), but you and I know that he is a better performer than Cannavaro. Spartacus is a classic example of that in the movie industry.
Re: Game Of Thrones Vs Spartacus by Obi1kenobi(m): 10:29pm On Nov 23, 2013
joseph1013:

Are you fuú.cckk.ing kidding me? Really? I have been disappointed by hypey movies, but none comes close to GOT. And to think that some actually love that Season 1! Boringness seems to be hereditary for some people. Smh

And fyi, awards can be deceptive. History will seem to tell us that Pirlo is not a top player (cos he's not won a top individual award), but you and I know that he is a better performer than Cannavaro. Spartacus is a classic example of that in the movie industry.
You can read Metacritic aggregated ratings and reviews of series from all the top media outlets (New York Times, Time, Guardian, Washington Post, Telegraph etc). Series like GOT always rank very highly on most reviews. It is a far bigger cultural phenomenon. It is produced by HBO who are well known for quality series. It has the more star-studded ensemble cast. Spartacus is an irrelevance and its network, Starz, produce rubbish series generally. It is panned by viewing critics and it's an irrelevance in award ceremonies. So you think only your tainted view of series is more relevant than their own?

Anyone that thinks Spartacus is better than GOT doesn't understand what makes a good film or series and it's hard to make a rational argument. It's like someone I once argued with who told me the film "300" is better than "Gladiator" or "Brave Heart". I could only just laugh and move on.

4 Likes

Re: Game Of Thrones Vs Spartacus by joseph1013: 10:08am On Nov 24, 2013
Obi1kenobi:
You can read Metacritic aggregated ratings and reviews of series from all the top media outlets (New York Times, Time, Guardian, Washington Post, Telegraph etc). Series like GOT always rank very highly on most reviews. It is a far bigger cultural phenomenon. It is produced by HBO who are well known for quality series. It has the more star-studded ensemble cast. Spartacus is an irrelevance and its network, Starz, produce rubbish series generally. It is panned by viewing critics and it's an irrelevance in award ceremonies. So you think only your tainted view of series is more relevant than their own?

Anyone that thinks Spartacus is better than GOT doesn't understand what makes a good film or series and it's hard to make a rational argument. It's like someone I once argued with who told me the film "300" is better than "Gladiator" or "Brave Heart". I could only just laugh and move on.

There's something you're missing. Awards and ratings are not always a true reflection of things. So many things determine ratings: the producer, whether it's PG or 18+ rated, the cast, the noise around it (marketing), etc. So awards are sometimes skewed.

Spartacus is a great series. Action-packed, unbelievable dialogue, excellent acting.

I had to go find GOT after I saw the hype, and I was like what-the-fvck is the hype about. It was the constant encouragement of a friend that didnt make me dump it. Season 1 is dead boring.

Fyi, 300, gladiators and braveheart are in the same class.

1 Like

Re: Game Of Thrones Vs Spartacus by Obi1kenobi(m): 10:06pm On Nov 24, 2013
joseph1013:

There's something you're missing. Awards and ratings are not always a true reflection of things. So many things determine ratings: the producer, whether it's PG or 18+ rated, the cast, the noise around it (marketing), etc. So awards are sometimes skewed.

Spartacus is a great series. Action-packed, unbelievable dialogue, excellent acting.

I had to go find GOT after I saw the hype, and I was like what-the-fvck is the hype about. It was the constant encouragement of a friend that didnt make me dump it. Season 1 is dead boring.

Fyi, 300, gladiators and braveheart are in the same class.
Media hype has nothing to do with anything. Infact, series that pack awards like Mad Men, Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Homeland etc are far from the most popular. Mad Men kept sweeping awards every year but there are several dozen series with greater viewership. Movies like Harry Potter, Spider Man, Pirates of the Carribean, Matrix, recent Star Wars etc are some of the most commercially successful films in history but they won no Oscars. Commercially successful artists like Britney Spears have no Grammies. The elite awards in entertainment (Oscars, Emmys, Golden Globes, Grammies etc) usually reward artistic achievement rather than mass appeal. So you're very wrong.

And you only prove my point about your terrible taste by saying 300 is in the same class with Gladiator and Brave Heart. grin No wonder you think Spartacus is better than GOT. You probably find WWE Wrestling to be a more serious, better sport than boxing.
I've found there are a lot of brilliant series out there like Breaking Bad, Sopranos, The Wire, West Wing, Mad Men, The Good Wife, Boardwalk Empire etc which your average Nigerian would reject for crap like Merlin, Legend of the Seeker or Spartacus because the latter provide immediate cheap thrills rather than in-depth character development and a stimulating, intricate plot.

4 Likes

Re: Game Of Thrones Vs Spartacus by joseph1013: 11:17am On Nov 25, 2013
Obi1kenobi:
Media hype has nothing to do with anything. Infact, series that pack awards like Mad Men, Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Homeland etc are far from the most popular. Mad Men kept sweeping awards every year but there are several dozen series with greater viewership. Movies like Harry Potter, Spider Man, Pirates of the Carribean, Matrix, recent Star Wars etc are some of the most commercially successful films in history but they won no Oscars. Commercially successful artists like Britney Spears have no Grammies. The elite awards in entertainment (Oscars, Emmys, Golden Globes, Grammies etc) usually reward artistic achievement rather than mass appeal. So you're very wrong.

And you only prove my point about your terrible taste by saying 300 is in the same class with Gladiator and Brave Heart. grin No wonder you think Spartacus is better than GOT. You probably find WWE Wrestling to be a more serious, better sport than boxing.
I've found there are a lot of brilliant series out there like Breaking Bad, Sopranos, The Wire, West Wing, Mad Men, The Good Wife, Boardwalk Empire etc which your average Nigerian would reject for crap like Merlin, Legend of the Seeker or Spartacus because the latter provide immediate cheap thrills rather than in-depth character development and a stimulating, intricate plot.

It's so obvious that you dont read my comments but only glance through to pick whichever point you wanna pick. Didnt you read where I said awards are sometimes skewed? And that's exactly why incredible movies like Harry Potter, Spider Man, Pirates of the Carribean, Matrix have not been rewarded for their 'incredibleness'. I'm only saying that what happened to Matrix is exactly what's happening to Spartacus.

It's funny how you make wild deductions. I find it strange that someone would attempt to bring Merlin and WWE to this discussion. Are you surrounded with kids? Cos where I come from, only kids love such entertainment.

Let me ask you: what thrills you so much about GOT that you would even attempt to compare it with Spartacus? And what are your favourite movies of all time (maybe that would help me judge if it's time to move on from this or not)?
Re: Game Of Thrones Vs Spartacus by Obi1kenobi(m): 2:57pm On Nov 25, 2013
joseph1013:

It's so obvious that you dont read my comments but only glance through to pick whichever point you wanna pick. Didnt you read where I said awards are sometimes skewed? And that's exactly why incredible movies like Harry Potter, Spider Man, Pirates of the Carribean, Matrix have not been rewarded for their 'incredibleness'. I'm only saying that what happened to Matrix is exactly what's happening to Spartacus.

It's funny how you make wild deductions. I find it strange that someone would attempt to bring Merlin and WWE to this discussion. Are you surrounded with kids? Cos where I come from, only kids love such entertainment.

Let me ask you: what thrills you so much about GOT that you would even attempt to compare it with Spartacus? And what are your favourite movies of all time (maybe that would help me judge if it's time to move on from this or not)?
There's nothing skewed about the awards. Those movies didn't win because they are cheap thrills with little originality or artistic value and insufficient depth to the characters and simplistic plots. Movies aren't all about the effects and action choreography. I already listed some of my favourite series for you, so you can take it from there.

The joke is that you're unilaterally attempting to define the greatness of series and dismissing far more distinguished public movie critics and awarders as merely following the hype. You think a reviewer of GOT from Time magazine or New York Times or The Guardian favourably rates the series simply because the public likes and hypes it? Why then doesn't it apply to popular movies like Harry Potter or Star Wars? The public likes them too, abi?

I respect the right to contrary opinions. I have some controversial ones myself afterall. I hate rap music for example. I generally hate pop music and contemporary RnB. I'm no fan of Michael Jackson, other than very few of his songs I like. I hate most Nigerian music, other than the likes of Fela, and more recently Asa. But I understand why people love those things. You, on the other hand, arrogantly dismiss the preferences of others as "hype" when it's clear you're FAR from an expert on the qualities that make a good movie.

GOT and Spartacus are not in the same class. GOT has an intricate plot with characters of great depth whose paths are tied together with cleverly crafted political intrigue. Even the child actors are spectacular. Spartacus has a simplistic plot that a high school student could write and employs cheesy Shakespearean dialogue to cover it's mediocre acting - other than a few good characters like Battiatus, Illythia and the cancer plagued original Spartacus. Its extensive use of CGI effects also makes it rather amateurish.

2 Likes

Re: Game Of Thrones Vs Spartacus by joseph1013: 6:55pm On Nov 25, 2013
Obi1kenobi:
There's nothing skewed about the awards. Those movies didn't win because they are cheap thrills with little originality or artistic value and insufficient depth to the characters and simplistic plots. Movies aren't all about the effects and action choreography. I already listed some of my favourite series for you, so you can take it from there.

The joke is that you're unilaterally attempting to define the greatness of series and dismissing far more distinguished public movie critics and awarders as merely following the hype. You think a reviewer of GOT from Time magazine or New York Times or The Guardian favourably rates the series simply because the public likes and hypes it? Why then doesn't it apply to popular movies like Harry Potter or Star Wars? The public likes them too, abi?

I respect the right to contrary opinions. I have some controversial ones myself afterall. I hate rap music for example. I generally hate pop music and contemporary RnB. I'm no fan of Michael Jackson, other than very few of his songs I like. I hate most Nigerian music, other than the likes of Fela, and more recently Asa. But I understand why people love those things. You, on the other hand, arrogantly dismiss the preferences of others as "hype" when it's clear you're FAR from an expert on the qualities that make a good movie.

GOT and Spartacus are not in the same class. GOT has an intricate plot with characters of great depth whose paths are tied together with cleverly crafted political intrigue. Even the child actors are spectacular. Spartacus has a simplistic plot that a high school student could write and employs cheesy Shakespearean dialogue to cover it's mediocre acting - other than a few good characters like Battiatus, Illythia and the cancer plagued original Spartacus. Its extensive use of CGI effects also makes it rather amateurish.

Maybe I'm thinkin wrong, but did you just imply that because they dont have as many awards, movies like Harry Potter, Matrix and Lord of the Rings aint classics? Damn! Says alot about your taste.

Guy, forget awards! I say it again, they are skewed. Those critics are humans like you and I, and have got two eyes like you do. They are not necessarily impeccable in their judgement.

What made spartacus lose his vibe was the death of Andy Whitfield - the viewers had connected with him in season one and his loss did a lot of damage to the viewership. Spartacus'
season one has more substance than anything GOT can provide....people watch shows to pick on one liners and great quotes, not the growls of imps and lannisters. Mention one memorable quote on GOT.....please, dont be tunnel-visioned!
Re: Game Of Thrones Vs Spartacus by joseph1013: 7:01pm On Nov 25, 2013
Obi1kenobi:

Maybe I'm thinkin wrong, but did you just imply that because they dont have as many awards, movies like Harry Potter, Matrix and Lord of the Rings aint classics? Damn! Says alot about your taste.

Guy, forget awards! I say it again, they are skewed. Those critics are humans like you and I, and have got two eyes like you do. They are not necessarily impeccable in their judgement.

What made spartacus lose his vibe was the death of Andy Whitfield - the viewers had connected with him in season one and his loss did a lot of damage to the viewership. Spartacus'
season one has more substance than anything GOT can provide....people watch shows to pick on one liners and great quotes, not the growls of imps and lannisters. Mention one memorable quote on GOT.....please, dont be tunnel-visioned!
Re: Game Of Thrones Vs Spartacus by Obi1kenobi(m): 9:55pm On Nov 25, 2013
joseph1013:

For starters, Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter don't belong in the same sentence. The first is a great film - achieving both critical and commercial success. The other is a good film with great commercial success due to it's successful book and great merchandising and branding, but not the same critical acclaim as LOTR. I never told you any of them aren't classics. As long as a movie is commercially successful and memorable, it's a classic regardless of meeting the criteria of true greatness.

The critics are humans like you and I but they know a lot more than you do about film making because they are themselves involved in the industry. The same with the bodies and academies that present awards. Comparatively, you're an armchair fan. Their opinions serve as an impartial arbiter which is why I brought them up. You want me to take your biased opinion as fact when I'm trying to demonstrate to you that most people with a clue about what makes for a great film or series disagree with you? Note that their opinions is no reason for my preference. It merely validates my preference and impartially shows why you're very wrong.

What made spartacus lose his vibe was the death of Andy Whitfield - the viewers had connected with him in season one and his loss did a lot of damage to the viewership.
Spartacus barely lost any vibe. Andy Whitfield's death actually attracted some fans who knew nothing about the small show on the small Starz network and their curiosity was aroused. Admittedly, Whitfield was one of the few good actors on the show. The likes of the mugs acting as Crixus and his fellow gladiators felt like casting amateur WWE wrestlers to act.

Spartacus' season one has more substance than anything GOT can provide....people watch shows to pick on one liners and great quotes, not the growls of imps and lannisters. Mention one memorable quote on GOT.....please, dont be tunnel-visioned!
You obviously don't know the meaning of "substance". It doesn't belong in the same sentence with Spartacus.
People watch shows to pick on one-liners? grin You must be a rap music fan. What the hell do one-liners have to do with a great film or tv series? You think Spartacus has greater dialogue because they make a mockery of Shakespearan speech (often by actors with terrible delivery) and use a lot of swear words? Stop watching all that mediocre crap and go watch some real series.
Re: Game Of Thrones Vs Spartacus by dejahvu(m): 9:33pm On Dec 09, 2013
How can the death of one cast end a spectacular show It means the show is not spectacular....
I loved Ned Stark and Kharl Drogo in game of thrones but they were eliminated in Season 1 but still the show remained interesting, mind you I'm not saying I love the Characters alone but the acting of the cast as in Sean Bean n Drogo ( cnt remember his real name) meanwhile saying Spartacus is better than Game of Thrones is like saying
300 is better than Gladiator
Giroud is better than Suarez
Lil Wayne is better than Nas
Nairalanders is better than Naira land
Lind ikeji is better than Bella Naija etc
Mind u Spartacus fans Game of Thrones is not just an award winner but has high tv ratings, to me is the best thing that happened to television series, the characters, the plot, the build up, the suspense, unpredictable nature it's countless, who ever thought that after Drogo's death Khaleesi will grow stronger? Oh and my favorite Arya Stark.....I'm surprise people say Game of Thrones is boring probably is too complex for mediocre brains to digest...Spartacus can never be close to Game of Thrones...I even prefer Legend of the Seeker to Spartacus

1 Like

Re: Game Of Thrones Vs Spartacus by orogodoganyin(m): 3:18pm On May 31, 2015
firstly, there's nothing great about harry potter the movie. i'm saying this 'cos i read all d books nd cudnt b bothered wt d rest of the movies after the 5th. 300 is jst a little more than its graphics. take that away nd d story is jst mehhh. brave heart is a classic across all generations. all those who appreciate art anyway.
as for spartacus, there was hardly any other series worth watching when it came out. it beat them all hands down in almost all dept. but it merely rigorously tells a simple story. this is where game of thrones is different. it's a complex story with lotsa characters, and for people who love art, it captivates them in ways spartacus can't ever do. perhaps, if you are capable of reading 'lord of the rings', the unabridged version, you'll understand. honestly, spartacus is great but i'm most attentive when i watch game of thrones. i try not to watch it while i'm cooking. cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Game Of Thrones Vs Spartacus by Nobody: 1:07pm On Jun 01, 2015
Game of thrones,
u win or u die....GOT all d way...av nt watched season 3 yet......waiting patiently
Re: Game Of Thrones Vs Spartacus by Manutd19: 1:30pm On Jun 01, 2015
Game of thrones is overhyped though interesting but can be boring sometimes. Never a dull moment with spartacus. Best depends on individual preference.
Re: Game Of Thrones Vs Spartacus by ApexTitan(m): 2:02pm On Jun 01, 2015
snoopy1:
Game of thrones,
u win or u die....GOT all d way...av nt watched season 3 yet......waiting patiently

Season 3? That's like 2 years behind. What are you waiting for?
Re: Game Of Thrones Vs Spartacus by jmaine: 3:26pm On Jun 01, 2015
Seun kindly open the Game of thrones thread . . . . .Haba !! angry

1 Like

Re: Game Of Thrones Vs Spartacus by sucess001(m): 3:41pm On Jun 01, 2015
Obi1kenobi:

Yes, that is why Spartacus cannot get even one single nomination in the elite awards like the Emmys and Golden Globes while Game of Thrones continues to sweep awards. See how you're embarrassing yourself. Spartacus is an amateurish series that caters to a certain kind of audience who either lack or don't the patience to grasp an intricate plotline. Game of Thrones is a mature, elite series. They are not close to being on the same level at all. People that love Spartacus are likely to love crappy series like Merlin, Legend of the Seeker etc. They're also likely to love WWE Wrestling.

i dont like the films you mentioned...

game of thrones is a kid's film...fight scenes amateurish...storyline senseless...imagine talking about dragons and shit...
Re: Game Of Thrones Vs Spartacus by ApexTitan(m): 3:55pm On Jun 01, 2015
jmaine:
Seun kindly open the Game of thrones thread . . . . .Haba !! angry

Abi o. There are pressing matters to address. grin

Lemme look for an alternative thread.
Re: Game Of Thrones Vs Spartacus by kay9(m): 4:06pm On Jun 01, 2015
ApexTitan:

Abi o. There are pressing matters to address. grin

Lemme look for an alternative thread.

Come over to the Books' thread, bro
https://www.nairaland.com/1548262/questions-theories-trivia-asoiaf-game/14#34316603

I really hate it when people start acting power-drunk...
Re: Game Of Thrones Vs Spartacus by Csami(m): 4:36pm On Jun 01, 2015
Seun, what's up with u locking GOT thread? Don't you like progress in the world?

GOT season 5 episode 8 the best so far!

3 Likes

Re: Game Of Thrones Vs Spartacus by Bawss1(m): 6:59pm On Jun 01, 2015
Csami:
Seun, what's up with u locking GOT thread? Don't you like progress in the world?

GOT season 5 episode 8 the best so far!

grin grin grin grin
Re: Game Of Thrones Vs Spartacus by PRINCEZUKO1(m): 1:43pm On Jul 14, 2015
GOT>>>>>>>>>>>>>Spartacus. Nuff said.
Re: Game Of Thrones Vs Spartacus by ba7man(m): 4:55am On Jul 16, 2015
Anyone that thinks spartacus is better than GOT has no idea what makes a good tv production.

It takes a certain amount of intelligence to watch GOT......... Spartacus is just too one dimensional for me.

Heck. I now use GOT to assess a person's level of intelligence.
Re: Game Of Thrones Vs Spartacus by kenturkish(m): 11:05am On May 14, 2016
Game of thrones The best series ever made simple. Spartacus is a low budget soft porn. Game of thrones the most expensive TV series ever made. Fans of spartacus are action junkie kids who can watch the series on mute. Game of thrones is simply out of this world. They shouldn't even be on the same sentence that's highly insulting to GOT to compare it with soft porn.

2 Likes

Re: Game Of Thrones Vs Spartacus by ba7man(m): 12:54am On May 15, 2016
Not all minds can handle the depth of GOT.

1 Like

Re: Game Of Thrones Vs Spartacus by CNARIOjoseph(m): 3:00pm On May 29, 2016
Anyone still think Spartacus got anything on Game of Thrones? *crickets*

1 Like

Re: Game Of Thrones Vs Spartacus by Traveller11: 12:41pm On Oct 05, 2016
Is this still an argument?

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

BBNaina: Diane Gets Evicted From Big Brother Naija / 50+ Examples Of Cartoon Logic That Will Make You Facepalm / Bisola Gets A Letter From Single Mothers Association For Giving TTT MouthAction

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.