Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,287 members, 7,811,856 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:30 PM

Intelligent Design Is Not The Same As Creationism?: Thoughts - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Intelligent Design Is Not The Same As Creationism?: Thoughts (1592 Views)

Newsflash!! Forget Bigbang, Forget Creationism, The Universe Had No Begining. / Interesting Videos On Evolution/creationism/spirituality; ETC / Creationism Or Evolution - Post Your Peer-review Articles Here And Lets Discuss (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Intelligent Design Is Not The Same As Creationism?: Thoughts by mkmyers45(m): 11:48pm On Apr 06, 2013
1) Difference from concepts: the very concept of design is different from creation, as Dembski explains: "Creation is always about the source of being of the world. Intelligent design, as the science that studies signs of intelligence, is about arrangements of preexisting materials that point to a designing intelligence."
Re: Intelligent Design Is Not The Same As Creationism?: Thoughts by mkmyers45(m): 11:51pm On Apr 06, 2013
2) Difference from goals:Creationism is ultimately about the defense of a particular interpretation of religious texts, hence, why dominant scientific themes in creation science, are things like the age of the earth etc. Where as, Intelligent Design attempts to build a rigorous scientific method for detecting design, and applying this to patterns in nature.
Re: Intelligent Design Is Not The Same As Creationism?: Thoughts by mkmyers45(m): 11:55pm On Apr 06, 2013
Any thoughts?
Re: Intelligent Design Is Not The Same As Creationism?: Thoughts by turnstoner(m): 7:09am On Apr 07, 2013
They are all failed attempts to align religion with mordern science
Re: Intelligent Design Is Not The Same As Creationism?: Thoughts by Nobody: 7:35am On Apr 07, 2013
Good morning mk,

Do you think it is possible for one to 'create' without considering the design of what is to be created?

1 Like

Re: Intelligent Design Is Not The Same As Creationism?: Thoughts by EvilBrain1(m): 9:22am On Apr 07, 2013
Intelligent Design is just creationism couched in big grammer. The concept only came into existence when some American fanatics wanted to pretend creationism was a scientific theory so they could teach their religious nonsense in public school science classrooms.

ID is not science. It is concept that has more holes in than a laundry basket. No serious minded biologists give the idea any credit, and it can be easily disproved by simple experiments or just a few moments thought.
Re: Intelligent Design Is Not The Same As Creationism?: Thoughts by alfaman2: 9:52am On Apr 07, 2013
striktlymi: Good morning mk,

Do you think it is possible for one to 'create' without considering the design of what is to be created?

Yes. When I "create" poo in the morning, I never consider the design.
Re: Intelligent Design Is Not The Same As Creationism?: Thoughts by Nobody: 10:04am On Apr 07, 2013
alfaman2:

Lololol. *Back to watching from the sidelines*
Re: Intelligent Design Is Not The Same As Creationism?: Thoughts by Nobody: 10:10am On Apr 07, 2013
Reyginus: Lololol. *Back to watching from the sidelines*

Hey Rey,

Very funny but making poo is part of a design which definitely is not our 'creation'.
Re: Intelligent Design Is Not The Same As Creationism?: Thoughts by tobechi20(m): 10:14am On Apr 07, 2013
alfaman2:

u didnt create pool, u only deposited it from ur system. U neva knew the color or the size of d poo
Re: Intelligent Design Is Not The Same As Creationism?: Thoughts by Nobody: 10:16am On Apr 07, 2013
striktlymi:

Hey Rey,

Very funny but making poo is part of a design which definitely is not our 'creation'.
Lol. But the dude has a point in the sense we don't conceive a particular poo design in mind, when we drop the ugly thing.
Re: Intelligent Design Is Not The Same As Creationism?: Thoughts by Nobody: 10:22am On Apr 07, 2013
Reyginus: Lol. But the dude has a point in the sense we don't conceive a particular poo design in mind, when we drop the ugly thing.

There will be a point if and only if we can demonstrate that we designed the system responsible for the poo. Is there any point in claiming another's design?
Re: Intelligent Design Is Not The Same As Creationism?: Thoughts by mkmyers45(m): 10:51am On Apr 07, 2013
striktlymi: Good morning mk,

It is..Creativity complex permit creation without design complex e.g Language,Music etc
Re: Intelligent Design Is Not The Same As Creationism?: Thoughts by mkmyers45(m): 10:57am On Apr 07, 2013
Evil Brain: Intelligent Design is just creationism couched in big grammer. The concept only came into existence when some American fanatics wanted to pretend creationism was a scientific theory so they could teach their religious nonsense in public school science classrooms.

ID is not science. It is concept that has more holes in than a laundry basket. No serious minded biologists give the idea any credit, and it can be easily disproved by simple experiments or just a few moments thought.
Dont you think that scientific methodology havent been applied to it? Or do you want to disprove it?
Re: Intelligent Design Is Not The Same As Creationism?: Thoughts by Nobody: 10:59am On Apr 07, 2013
mkmyers45: It is..Creativity complex permit creation without design complex e.g Language,Music etc

I don't think so! Before any thing is made there must be a design. Even language and music have their designs. I believe the ieh here is what constitute a design.

A design is not just something we can draw or see. It is also about having a plan...which can be in someone's mind when making something. Language and music follow a set pattern which is a direct result of some careful planning and thought process.
Re: Intelligent Design Is Not The Same As Creationism?: Thoughts by Kay17: 11:07am On Apr 07, 2013
I think intelligent design is a bad argument for God. Because it acknowledges preexisting immutable uncaused abstract principles that govern Cosmos (includes Multiverses), to which God himself bows to.
Re: Intelligent Design Is Not The Same As Creationism?: Thoughts by mkmyers45(m): 11:31am On Apr 07, 2013
striktlymi:

I don't think so! Before any thing is made there must be a design. Even language and music have their designs. I believe the ieh here is what constitute a design.

A design is not just something we can draw or see. It is also about having a plan...which can be in someone's mind when making something. Language and music follow a set pattern which is a direct result of some careful planning and thought process.
If you conceed to the almost infinite nature of musical tunes, then you will understand the complex i speak of...Ask a class of 3-4 year olds to sing or make music, can you possible explain the careful planning behind the result?
Re: Intelligent Design Is Not The Same As Creationism?: Thoughts by Nobody: 2:26pm On Apr 07, 2013
mkmyers45: If you conceed to the almost infinite nature of musical tunes, then you will understand the complex i speak of...Ask a class of 3-4 year olds to sing or make music, can you possible explain the careful planning behind the result?

Nah that example is more like the 'poo' thing that was earlier talked about. There is already a system in place which enables the brain to work with the vocal chord of that child in order to perform the activity you mentioned.

The planning behind that result has to do with the harmonious working of the brain of that child with its vocal chord. There has to be a 'system' which enables that child differentiate between talking and singing. The child needs not be aware that what it does is singing but the system 'hardwired' into that child enables it to produce the desired sound.

Like I said the example is hardly appropriate cause the design is already in place. Why not try another example e.g making of a vehicle. Though this is different from creating something but it should suffice for the purpose of this discuss.
Re: Intelligent Design Is Not The Same As Creationism?: Thoughts by ooman(m): 3:09pm On Apr 07, 2013
Intelligent design (ID) and creationism are so intertwined that one CANNOT exist without the other.

For any atheist or theist to try to separate these two is really disturbing to reason.

Repetitive patterns, which can also be termed design, (depending on the context) based on the constant composition of matter is what we observe in nature according to quantum physics and nuclear chemistry.

Nature exist without intelligent control, exclusive of the parts colonized by the sapiens.
Re: Intelligent Design Is Not The Same As Creationism?: Thoughts by Nobody: 5:20pm On Apr 07, 2013
striktlymi:

There will be a point if and only if we can demonstrate that we designed the system responsible for the poo.
I think you should consider this statement. From his point of view, that will be unnecessary since he doesn't appeal to design in the first place.
Re: Intelligent Design Is Not The Same As Creationism?: Thoughts by Nobody: 5:27pm On Apr 07, 2013
Reyginus: I think you should consider this statement. From his point of view, that will be unnecessary since he doesn't appeal to design in the first place.

The poo thingy does not satisfy the 'parameter' of the question asked.
Re: Intelligent Design Is Not The Same As Creationism?: Thoughts by Nobody: 5:49pm On Apr 07, 2013
striktlymi:

You should have mentioned the above before getting to this point in the discourse.
+back to watching from the sidelines+
Re: Intelligent Design Is Not The Same As Creationism?: Thoughts by Nobody: 5:50pm On Apr 07, 2013
Reyginus: You should have mentioned the above before getting to this point in the discourse.
+back to watching from the sidelines+

Sorry man, I thought you knew!
Re: Intelligent Design Is Not The Same As Creationism?: Thoughts by Nobody: 6:05pm On Apr 07, 2013
striktlymi:

Sorry man, I thought you knew!
Lolol.*why is he telling me sorry?*
Anyway. Good evening and thank you, Mr striklymi.
Re: Intelligent Design Is Not The Same As Creationism?: Thoughts by Nobody: 6:09pm On Apr 07, 2013
Reyginus: Lolol.*why is he telling me sorry?*
Anyway. Good evening and thank you, Mr striklymi.

Good evening to you too Mr. Reyginus.

Thank you!
Re: Intelligent Design Is Not The Same As Creationism?: Thoughts by thehomer: 2:05pm On Apr 08, 2013
mkmyers45: 1) Difference from concepts: the very concept of design is different from creation, as Dembski explains: "Creation is always about the source of being of the world. Intelligent design, as the science that studies signs of intelligence, is about arrangements of preexisting materials that point to a designing intelligence."

This is a false distinction. Intelligent design is not science. It is a religious idea attempting to masquerade as science. After all, creation is also the arrangement of pre-existing materials. e.g Achebe's works were created from pre-existing words in English and other languages.
Re: Intelligent Design Is Not The Same As Creationism?: Thoughts by thehomer: 2:13pm On Apr 08, 2013
mkmyers45: 2) Difference from goals:Creationism is ultimately about the defense of a particular interpretation of religious texts, hence, why dominant scientific themes in creation science, are things like the age of the earth etc. Where as, Intelligent Design attempts to build a rigorous scientific method for detecting design, and applying this to patterns in nature.

The phrase "creation science" is an oxymoron. So far, the attempts made by Intelligent Design advocates has failed and hasn't even been shown to be useful.
Re: Intelligent Design Is Not The Same As Creationism?: Thoughts by alfaman2: 2:26pm On Apr 08, 2013
striktlymi:

Are you saying that poo is not designed?
Re: Intelligent Design Is Not The Same As Creationism?: Thoughts by UyiIredia(m): 4:22pm On Apr 08, 2013
Kay 17: I think intelligent design is a bad argument for God. Because it acknowledges preexisting immutable uncaused abstract principles that govern Cosmos (includes Multiverses), to which God himself bows to.

Intelligent Design isn't an argument for God, its a theory on how living things originate.
Re: Intelligent Design Is Not The Same As Creationism?: Thoughts by UyiIredia(m): 4:31pm On Apr 08, 2013
thehomer:

This is a false distinction. Intelligent design is not science. It is a religious idea attempting to masquerade as science. After all, creation is also the arrangement of pre-existing materials. e.g Achebe's works were created from pre-existing words in English and other languages.

Wrong ! You failed to show how it isn't science and how it is a religious idea. You fail to note what I'd theorists have reiterated, that I'd notes some things are designed and brings design detection to the question of life's origins. If it is a religious idea it should deal with the supernatural, God, rites etc things which have NEVER been associated with it. You are simply spewing out the nonsense die-hard evolutionists have told you which you have FAILED to critically analyse especially by taking the ID theorists rebutalls into consideration.
Re: Intelligent Design Is Not The Same As Creationism?: Thoughts by Kay17: 7:24pm On Apr 08, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

Intelligent Design isn't an argument for God, its a theory on how living things originate.

It attempts to explain natural life an intelligent effect of ultimately a supernatural being.
Re: Intelligent Design Is Not The Same As Creationism?: Thoughts by turnstoner(m): 10:01pm On Apr 08, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

Wrong ! You failed to show how it isn't science and how it is a religious idea. You fail to note what I'd theorists have reiterated, that I'd notes some things are designed and brings design detection to the question of life's origins. If it is a religious idea it should deal with the supernatural, God, rites etc things which have NEVER been associated with it. You are simply spewing out the nonsense die-hard evolutionists have told you which you have FAILED to critically analyse especially by taking the ID theorists rebutalls into consideration.

When the @poster lucidly explains what he means by ' intelligent design'' i am sure he would get the ''critical analysis'' that you so desire!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Address Of C&S Churches In Ibadan / Zambia's Day Of Prayers : The Hilarious, The Sad, The Stuuuupid . / Daddy Freeze Is Accurate But He Is In Error” – Pastor Rotimi Akinwale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.