Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,007 members, 7,838,526 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 02:35 AM

Nigeria's First Flying Doctor Saving Lives In Nigeria- CNN - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria's First Flying Doctor Saving Lives In Nigeria- CNN (17715 Views)

Children For Sale Heartbreakingly Easy To Find In Ravaged Nigeria-CNN / Has 'obamagic' Finally Worn Off In Nigeria? - CNN / Detroit Bomber's Dad Warned US Authorities In Nigeria - CNN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria's First Flying Doctor Saving Lives In Nigeria- CNN by olapluto(m): 2:19pm On Apr 09, 2013
When I first read her story, I discarded it not because of her credibility, but the credibility of her actions. Now her credibility is called to question, oh well!
Emeagwali has done more damage to Nigeria than can be quantified.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's First Flying Doctor Saving Lives In Nigeria- CNN by Nobody: 2:21pm On Apr 09, 2013
chreld_b: . All you have said is backed up with facts. Ignore the ignorant folks who do not even know you and are insulting your pedigree and progeny claiming you will never amount to anything. That aside, when I saw a video about her on YouTube, there is a claim she made about how her post grad supervisor was in the US being the first person to reprogramme somatic cells back to stem cells. I doubted that claim but took her word for it because of her apparent credibility at that time. Oga Nwando do you have any info about that? Meanwhile thank you for your brilliant expose.

Thank you
This is no bad belle
We should not allow people just because they landed from overseas to dangle fake credentials in our faces
The woman claimed to have worked for NHS for 10 yrs in 2012,and when called out she spinned the tale I posted earlier about her volunteer services from the age of 14
How ridiculous
Who here will not feel deceived when a doctor counts their years as a youth selling akara at general hospital as medical experience.
Well we dug further and see what we found from NHS

http://leedsth.sigma.titaninternet.c...lunteering.php

"Voluntary Services provide a valuable resource in enhancing total patient care. Volunteers give practical help and support to patients and visitors and complement the work of paid staff within the Trust. For people who are retired or unemployed and have time free volunteering gives an opportunity to meet people, share and learn new skills and help others. Volunteering may provide helpful experience to young people considering a career in the NHS and a number of our volunteers go on to study medicine, nursing, or gain other employment within Health & Social care.[size=18pt] Our minimum age for volunteering is 17 years and for many of our placements you will need to be at least 18 years or over[/size]. You will need to be able to offer a regular commitment usually on the same day each week for preferably 12 months or more.

But dr ola in an answer about her 10 yr experience and other lies said

At the time of the London bombings I was a medical student on holiday working in GUM at the Royal London . I went to Univeristy in York, but my parents always lived in London where I went for my holidays.

[size=18pt]I worked in the NHS for nearly 10 years. I got my first job at 14. This is quite normal in England. Some people do a paper round or work in a shop. I worked for the NHS, firstly as a volunteer, then a physio assistant, then as a healthcare assistant, then as a medical student before becoming a docto[/size]r. Over time in different healthcare providing positions, I got the opportunity to see healthcare from a number of different perspectives.

I made that point to highlight the fact that all the experiences that I've had in my life, even looking after patients as a lowly volunteer just sitting with patients, helping with personal hygeine and feeding shaped me into a better doctor. I think everything counts.

I have no idea where anyone got the idea that I started univeristy at 15, I have never said that. I started at 17 and did a five year course without a Bsc. Journalists will write what they like I guess and its difficult to control especially when most of the time I dont even get an interview, I just find myself featured in a newspaper with a grossly inaccurate article mixing dates/times/circumstances.

I have the British number on my website because when I am travelling it has better connectivity when I'm roaming and people want to speak to me.

Then all the comments about 'bad weave', 'clothes' 'accent' are probably not worth addressing.

When I look at my life so far, I'm proud of the little I have achieved. But I want to do so much more to improve healthcare in Nigeria. I really feel I haven't started yet and comments like this make me want to continue pushing forward. There is so much more to do. So many ways that I can improve myself, my weave......apparently and the way people perceive me.

As for me not being a doctor, LOL, thats just plain hating. :-)

So let us assume volunteering as a child counts for medical experience ,hw did she volunteer with NHs at 14 when their minimum age is 17
Too many lies in her story
See wetin Dokita dey count as experience
Re: Nigeria's First Flying Doctor Saving Lives In Nigeria- CNN by Nobody: 2:32pm On Apr 09, 2013
My last post will be quoting the same NHS doctor I quoted earlier from our discussions last year after her interview on Punch

[size=18pt]I have just been forwarded this thread by a friend. Here is what I know to be fact.

1) She is a qualified doctor, I don't know what age she qualified but qualification at age 21 is no big deal. One of my class mates at FGC had to swear affidavit to be eligible for Jamb. He certainly finished at 21, though he would deny it now

2) She only completed foundation year 1 of her internship instead of both one and two

3) She ran back to Nigeria to show those "savages" how things should be done

4) She did not work in the NHS for 10 years . She could not have, as someone who did not have foundation year competence. As I type, she is not eligible to work in the NHS except to complete her housemanship

5) She is not a victim of bad journalism, she made these claims long ago on her website and continues to make them to whoever wants to listen. The problem is this time, it has got to places where people are more critical and less gullible.

6) Every other thing na smoke and mirrors

7) Could she be another Emeagwali? Some people certainly think so (a not so subtle dig at the con man)
[/size]
cool You've got to love her business model though
Re: Nigeria's First Flying Doctor Saving Lives In Nigeria- CNN by Cityguy: 2:33pm On Apr 09, 2013
Flashaldrin: kai, the main reason why nigerians will never do well! You're busy hating on her just because she has achieved already at 26 what you wont achieve at 40. Keep hating and lets see if it will get you to the top.
As for me, i really plan on doing something similar when i graduate, and to not just be like most nigerian hungry money grabbing doctors with no initiative whatsoever!
'when' or 'if'? My advice- why dont u tell ur med examiners that later part of ur trash post during ur exams? It will show how much u so desire innovation and bet u, u will be out early to start that line, disrespectful child.
Re: Nigeria's First Flying Doctor Saving Lives In Nigeria- CNN by Angyee(f): 2:39pm On Apr 09, 2013
Nwando, let me teach you how to verify the truth by tearing apart your claims.

1. As I said before I checked the GMC register online, anyone can do that and her details are there. It clearly states she is registered with a license to practice. You and your doctor friend are both quacks. to register you must have and see the quote below from GMC website:
If you are applying for full registration with a licence to practise you will need to prove that you have gained the experience necessary to practise as a fully registered medical practitioner in the UK.

this is the link to search for GMC registered doctors (I cannot put the link to her details specifically as it is time limited and will simply take you back to search site): http://webcache.gmc-uk.org/gmclrmp_enu/start.swe?SWECmd=GotoView&_sn=K0P8dzEJEY5pu9RNT4jxwNTQuIMdEA9SYinfwr1pOIVTevIlRuCtxF5AkDgk3tf9B.pZeR.9FtdetvrJRG7-4T3enrVvW-NMcidXgL8nt0WR-CyT1yVQJoaAZFtqRwVa4uI96Y6NIwwNLpDQDaaqOKqr1eoyX7DKQQc4FlkaV.vb27hPqUSDQQ3w1EpoHuVGnn8c7dCx44o_&SWEView=GMC+WEB+Doctor+Search&SRN=&SWEHo=webcache.gmc-uk.org&SWETS=1365514101&SWEApplet=GMC+WEB+Health+Provider+Search+Applet. or go to http://www.gmc-uk.org/doctors/register/LRMP.asp, 1st link there says show me the list, click on it and search. Go there, put her surname in, she is registered as Olamide Orekunrin, no. 7013906. A simple Google search would have shown you the link.

2. According to GMC(who check all these details b4 reg) she gained an MB BS from University of York in 2008. Her course as I saw on the Hull York Medical School website is a 5 year course and entry is granted from age 16. She started at 17. She states when she wrote her final exam she was still 21 which is very likely and by the time graduation rolled around she had turned 22. She would still be regarded as one of the youngest as a lot of times graduation in UK is done several months after exams and even more after final result. I wrote my last paper for MSc at age 23 (finished BSc at 21 in Nigeria), however by the time graduation ceremony rolled around I was 24. So her statement is entirely plausible.

Note: she never said I graduated at 21, she said I wrote my final exam at 21 - learn to read and understand.

3. She never said she had a post or political career, she was aspiring to one. In case you are not aware, to aspire means to 'direct one's hopes or ambitions to achieve something'. So she left those hopes behind and instead came here. Again, truth.

4. Working experience. Well from the NHS website, work experience placements begin from Year 10 (equivalent of SS1) and which is from sge 14-16 years. Some roles which they gain experience by participation and observation include: nurses, nurses, healthcare assistants, allied health professionals such as occupational therapists, speech and language therapists and podiatrists, healthcare scientists among others. This is from NHS website oh. So it is very VERY likely that it was not a messenger job (which does not exist in the NHS anyway). NHS employs minors for placements, see the link here that gives them info: http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/media/1487492/Work_experience_in_the_NHS.pdf. It's a pdf document. So that person was ill-informed.

5. As for the bombings et al, almost if not all organizations in UK offer summer holiday placements so again very plausible.

6. Her details are also on MIT website for entrepreneurship. MIT would never put up such details without verifying authenticity.

So Nwando in future if you don't know, keep quiet and do not display your ignorance. She has not told any lies. Stop doing 'they say' and do your own research and come up with verifiable facts like I have. This is journalism.

8 Likes

Re: Nigeria's First Flying Doctor Saving Lives In Nigeria- CNN by Nobody: 2:43pm On Apr 09, 2013
Aigbofa:

The real news will be that she is not really a doctor. She mentioned that some articles were published without her being interviewed, that may explain some of the inconsistencies some people pointed out.

And she didn't contact the papers to retract the story,she claims same lies on her own website
And this latest story here by CNN has the same lies,how do you explain that
Re: Nigeria's First Flying Doctor Saving Lives In Nigeria- CNN by Angyee(f): 2:47pm On Apr 09, 2013
Nwando,

I went to the same leeds teaching hospital nhs trust you visited and foundthis:

Work Experience

Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust can offer work experience placements in both clinical and non-clinical areas. Placements are unpaid and in an observation capacity only for up to a maximum of five working days. Please note that not all areas of the hospital are suitable for work experience and some departments are unable to accommodate requests.

Please be aware that some departments give priority to students studying for healthcare-related qualifications and/or may impose further restrictions on the eligibility criteria listed below to regulate demand.
Eligibility

You must live or study in a Leeds (LS) postcode area.
If you are aged 16 years or older, you must be a resident of the European Union, or hold a suitable work permit or visa that entitles you to undertake work in the UK (these requirements apply even though Work Experience is unpaid).
If you are in full-time education, you must be at least 15 years of age, and/or in Year 11 or above.
If you are in further or higher education, we expect you to be studying towards a qualification relevant to the field in which you're seeking experience.

Now, this is just leeds, all NHS trusts have specific requirements. And she was in York or Hull not leeds. so let me check there now.
Re: Nigeria's First Flying Doctor Saving Lives In Nigeria- CNN by Nobody: 2:51pm On Apr 09, 2013
6. Her details are also on MIT website for entrepreneurship. MIT would never put up such details without verifying authenticity.

So Nwando in future if you don't know, keep quiet and do not display your ignorance. She has not told any lies. Stop doing 'they say' and do your own research and come up with verifiable facts like I have. This is journalism.

Emeagwali was in more places and still is despite is fraudulent claims
This proves nothing
There has been fakes in Ivy Leagues
Don't be this gullible.

5. As for the bombings et al, almost if not all organizations in UK offer summer holiday placements so again very plausible

A doctor's claim of trauma experience points to a bombing that occurred 300 km away from her medical school in 2005 and you are giving excuses
Are you Dr Ola?
What medical experience?
Nigeria is indeed doomed when someone can in good faith find an excuse to justify 419 when revealed

4. Working experience. Well from the NHS website, work experience placements begin from Year 10 (equivalent of SS1) and which is from sge 14-16 years. Some roles which they gain experience by participation and observation include: nurses, nurses, healthcare assistants, allied health professionals such as occupational therapists, speech and language therapists and podiatrists, healthcare scientists among others. This is from NHS website oh. So it is very VERY likely that it was not a messenger job (which does not exist in the NHS anyway). NHS employs minors for placements, see the link here that gives them info: http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/media/1487492/Work_experience_in_the_NHS.pdf. It's a pdf document. So that person was ill-informed.

Ok she started volunteering in a hospital at 14 she said so herself ,volunteering
Her words

I worked in the NHS for nearly 10 years. I got my first job at 14. This is quite normal in England. Some people do a paper round or work in a shop. I worked for the NHS, firstly as a volunteer, then a physio assistant, then as a healthcare assistant, then as a medical student before becoming a doctor. Over time in different healthcare providing positions, I got the opportunity to see healthcare from a number of different perspectives.
Is that medical experience?
Let me believe her
Does one not come off her claim on her website that she actually worked 10 years as a doctor when the truth is that she had no working experience except as a trainee before she landed in landed in Nigeria as a flying kabu kabu doctor.
Who counts years of babysitting as medical experience
I can't believe this would sound trig hit to folks but I have been gone a while from Nigeria
Anything is possible there
She wouldn't dare put that on a CV in England but in Nigeria anything goes

3. She never said she had a post or political career, she was aspiring to one. In case you are not aware, to aspire means to 'direct one's hopes or ambitions to achieve something'. So she left those hopes behind and instead came here. Again, truth.

I also have a dream of hitting the lotto
That interview was not a dream
She told us the things she gave up to go help the helpless in Nigeria
She could not have smelled president of BMA for 20yrs if ever,it comes with experience
She didn't have to lie and embellish her credentials
It is noble already she graduated med school,a kid raised in a foster home but I guess the Nigerian in her had to tell stories to tickle your ears

Her words

It started with a resignation from a high-flying job in England, and relocation to Nigeria. So determined to make a difference in medical practice, Dr Ola Orekunrin decided to set up, The flying doctors, the first air ambulance service in West Africa.

"I quit my job, said goodbye to my political aspirations for the position of the president of the British Medical Association and minister for the conservative party, I sold my car and my house, and bought my one way ticket to Lagos. I was rejected more times than I can remember.

What high flying job?
Housemanship?
She is a good dreamer and story teller indeed.
Typical Nigerian big talks,I am not surprised you are impressed by it,she knows what the people want to hear and she gave it.

2. According to GMC(who check all these details b4 reg) she gained an MB BS from University of York in 2008. Her course as I saw on the Hull York Medical School website is a 5 year course and entry is granted from age 16. She started at 17. She states when she wrote her final exam she was still 21 which is very likely and by the time graduation rolled around she had turned 22. She would still be regarded as one of the youngest as a lot of times graduation in UK is done several months after exams and even more after final result. I wrote my last paper for MSc at age 23 (finished BSc at 21 in Nigeria), however by the time graduation ceremony rolled around I was 24. So her statement is entirely plausible.

Note: she never said I graduated at 21, she said I wrote my final exam at 21 - learn to read and understand.

According to this latest article she went into med school at 15 despite recanting that claim in an email
She claims she graduated at 21, read her again
So who is giving all these media houses false information about her
I had earlier read she graduated with her MBBS in 2007
Now your investigation says 2008
That makes her age at graduation closer to 23 not her earlier claims of 21
Final results of British med exams are out within a few days of taking them BTW
She is not the youngest graduated doctor in the UK as she claimed
The youngest was 21 and prior to that a 22 year old held that record.
The mere fact that you are struggling hard to explain away every falsehood she has presented speaks volumes
The truth stands on it's merits

Nothing fantastic about grad age so why does she emphasize it
This is herin the article here

Aged 21, Orekunrin had already graduated from the University of York as a qualified doctor. She was then awarded the MEXT Japanese Government Scholarship and moved to Japan to conduct research in the field of regenerative medicine.

So what are you defending when she says here she graduated at 21?
Re: Nigeria's First Flying Doctor Saving Lives In Nigeria- CNN by Angyee(f): 2:53pm On Apr 09, 2013
York NHS says this:

Volunteering is open to any one who is aged 16 and above. (http://www.yorkhospitals.nhs.uk/index.php?ob=1&id=379)

York Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust works in partnership with NYBEP (North Yorkshire Business and Education Partnership) to facilitate work experience opportunities for children in years 10 and 11 (http://www.yorkhospitals.nhs.uk/index.php?id=381&ob=1) (Year Ten is an educational year group in schools in many countries including Australia, England, India, Northern Ireland, New Zealand and Wales. It is usually the tenth year of compulsory education and incorporates students aged between fourteen and sixteen - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_10)

The funny thing is I don't know this girl but I so hate it when people tear others down. She is doing something good and rather than praise her you are busy trying to tear her down and we wonder why Nigeria will not progress.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's First Flying Doctor Saving Lives In Nigeria- CNN by Angyee(f): 2:54pm On Apr 09, 2013
Nwando, why did you not reply all the facts I have given you? Cat got your tongue? You chose the last two only....why not the others which tear you to shreds with easily verifiable facts?
Re: Nigeria's First Flying Doctor Saving Lives In Nigeria- CNN by Angyee(f): 3:01pm On Apr 09, 2013
A doctor's claim of trauma experience points to a bombing that occurred 300 km away from her medical school in 2005 and you are giving excuses
Are you Dr Ola?
What medical experience?
Nigeria is indeed doomed when someone can in good faith find an excuse to justify 419 when revealed

She claims she was on holiday in London at the time. As I said it is not difficult to get summer placements in UK. Also with a disaster of that kind, if she was indeed working there it would have been all hands on deck to help out so she would have gained 'some' experience.
Re: Nigeria's First Flying Doctor Saving Lives In Nigeria- CNN by Angyee(f): 3:07pm On Apr 09, 2013
Not volunteering. Work experience which they are paid about £95 a week for.

According to NHS document which I posted earlier:

Clinical tasks which are appropriate for
young people to engage with may include
assisting with bed-making, shadowing a
nurse or healthcare assistant taking and
recording a patient’s blood pressure,
temperature and heart rate, completing
fluid charts under direct supervision,
assisting with meals, talking to patients,
attending team meetings and helping with
clinics

Last I checked that's good experience. And obviously after a few years she would have moved on to full placement as per her medical course:

The course at HYMS has several notable features that are designed to make learning relevant, supportive and fun:

Clinical placements from the start of the course, in a wide variety of different settings...
http://www.hyms.ac.uk/undergraduate/introduction.aspx

She could not have smelled president of BMA for 20yrs if ever,it comes with experience

Precisely, experience she would have had if she stayed in UK in the NHS. And there is nothing impossible under the sun. She could well have achieved it.

You've still not shown me any lies she told.

Do you realize they are desperately looking for good doctors in UK? As per her course she gained very good experience before graduation because as part of medical school you have hands on experience. I know people who work in NHS, you don't want to know how many people want to work there. Do you know how difficult it is to get into the NHS? So yes, she has a promising career for her to have gotten a job in NHS. And in NHS it is not difficult to advance your career.
Re: Nigeria's First Flying Doctor Saving Lives In Nigeria- CNN by Angyee(f): 3:11pm On Apr 09, 2013
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Impressed my ar.se. I am in UK, I have worked for KPMG, TJX Europe, Santander UK to name a few. I have published articles and more which I hope to get published. Nothing impresses me anymore, dear. Impressed...ROTFLMAO.....you've so got to be kidding me.
Re: Nigeria's First Flying Doctor Saving Lives In Nigeria- CNN by Nobody: 3:19pm On Apr 09, 2013
Angyee: Not volunteering. Work experience which they are paid about £95 a week for.

According to NHS document which I posted earlier:

Last I checked that's good experience. And obviously after a few years she would have moved on to full placement as per her medical course:

Precisely, experience she would have had if she stayed in UK in the NHS. And there is nothing impossible under the sun. She could well have achieved it.

You've still not shown me any lies she told.

Do you realize they are desperately looking for good doctors in UK? As per her course she gained very good experience before graduation because as part of medical school you have hands on experience. I know people who work in NHS, you don't want to know how many people want to work there. Do you know how difficult it is to get into the NHS? So yes, she has a promising career for her to have gotten a job in NHS. And in NHS it is not difficult to advance your career.

And bed making is medical experience
Is that what you want me to respond to
You have been thoroughly mesmerized by this fraud I can see
I rest my case
Re: Nigeria's First Flying Doctor Saving Lives In Nigeria- CNN by Angyee(f): 3:24pm On Apr 09, 2013
you see your problem, you chose that which suits you to defend your stance. You chose only bedmaking...what happened to taking blood pressure, shadowing healthcare assistants, completing charts, oh it doesn't support your point so have to ignore it. *Hiss*

I'm done arguing with people who have selective reading, I'm out to make a difference, you can sit here and keep tearing others down while they make their millions. Bye.
Re: Nigeria's First Flying Doctor Saving Lives In Nigeria- CNN by Nobody: 3:41pm On Apr 09, 2013
Angyee:
you see your problem, you chose that which suits you to defend your stance. You chose only bedmaking...what happened to taking blood pressure, shadowing healthcare assistants, completing charts, oh it doesn't support your point so have to ignore it. *Hiss*

I'm done arguing with people who have selective reading, I'm out to make a difference, you can sit here and keep tearing others down while they make their millions. Bye.

Her claim from her website
quoted verbatim

[size=18pt]
. She graduated from the University Of York, one of the youngest doctor's in the UK and has worked in the NHS for nearly ten years [/size]

Graduated and has worked in NHS for 10 years
Does that not imply that she has had 10 years of work experience since graduation from med school
Go on and make your difference @ angyee
Hopefully you are not embellishing your credentials and being as deceptive
The masses have been informed about her and they needed to know her lack of experience and her false claims
[size=28pt]I am glad all she is doing is a flying kabu kabu service ferrying patients to real hospitals with experienced hands
That is all she is qualified for at this point IMHO[/size]
Re: Nigeria's First Flying Doctor Saving Lives In Nigeria- CNN by Angyee(f): 3:48pm On Apr 09, 2013
nwando:

quoted verbatim

Does that not imply that she has had 10 years of work experience since graduation from med school
The masses have been informed about her and they needed to know her lack of experience and her false claims

Nope, it does not imply after graduation, that is your personal read into it as if you have lived abroad you would know that work experience here includes apprenticeships, volunteer work, internships as well as after graduation work. There is a difference between saying 10 years doctoral experience and 10 years work experience. I should know, I work in HR. Unlike in Nigeria, in UK every little experience counts as it is all about transferable skills. If she said 10 years medical experience, yes I would call her out on it. NO, she said almost 10 years in the NHS, that could be for a variety of jobs. Yes the way it is stated can be easily misconstrued that does not make her out to be a liar. Rather she needs to state it more clearly on her site. Even a position as secretary of a student union is considered experience if there are skills that apply to the post being considered for.

To quote her from your quote:

I worked in the NHS for nearly 10 years. I got my first job at 14. This is quite normal in England. Some people do a paper round or work in a shop. I worked for the NHS, firstly as a volunteer, then a physio assistant, then as a healthcare assistant, then as a medical student before becoming a doctor. Over time in different healthcare providing positions, I got the opportunity to see healthcare from a number of different perspectives. Over time in different healthcare providing positions, I got the opportunity to see healthcare from a number of different perspectives.

She never said 10 years as a doctor. But 10 years in the health sector in different healthcare providing positions which has given her an all round experience in the health sector. Again, please where is the lie in that?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's First Flying Doctor Saving Lives In Nigeria- CNN by EkoIle1: 3:49pm On Apr 09, 2013
Amusing how some people who cannot provide keke napep to help the sick in their villages are trying to run down this amazing young woman. grin

It's all about hate, bitterness, anger, jealousy and low self esteem ashebe style.

This is part of their DNA.

To the Good doctor, carry on the great work.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's First Flying Doctor Saving Lives In Nigeria- CNN by Nobody: 3:51pm On Apr 09, 2013
Angyee:

There is a difference between saying 10 years doctoral experience and 10 years work experience. To quote her from your quote:

She never said 10 years as a doctor. But 10 years in the health sector in different healthcare providing positions which has given her an all round experience in the health sector. Again, please where is the lie in that?

Ha hahahaha
No wonder 419 is a signature trade of Nigerians with falsified CVs everywhere
You folks have perfected the act well and can explain it well
I hear u ma
She doesn't eat dog meat,she only drank it's pepper soup
Re: Nigeria's First Flying Doctor Saving Lives In Nigeria- CNN by Nobody: 4:00pm On Apr 09, 2013
From her website.

Meet the Team

Helen Bingley

Helen Bingley is currently working as Managing Director of Bingley Consulting Ltd, a business that has been established to support senior managers in the NHS with strategic change. Prior to this she worked as Head of Teaching and Learning in the Centre for Ethnicity and Health at the University of Central Lancashire. Helen qualified as a nurse in 1979 and took up her first management post in the NHS in 1984 gaining promotion through the different management levels in the NHS. During this time she managed, on behalf of the UK Department of Health, a research project in Nahaqi Hospital Pakistan designed to gather data on an indigenous South Asian population to provide answers to some questions about the healthcare needs of South Asian people living in the UK. Helen was a Non Executive Director on the Board of National Health Service Personnel for two years, and is a founder member and has responsibility as Treasurer of The Abaseen Foundation UK. She is will be advising primarily on the work of the Flying Doctors Foundation.

Kath Temple, MSc (OccPsych), Bsc (Hons) Psych, DipHypPsych, LTNLP, MPNLP, TEFT, EFT.Adv

Kath is a warm, vibrant, charismatic, experienced and skilled MSc Business Psychologist, ICF registered coach and solution focused brief therapist. She is an innovative and wise world change agent and an entertaining motivational speaker too. She received the national award for business excellence in 2008 and will be advising both on management issues and on the work of the trust.

Mr Dimeji Owofemi

Mr Owofemi is the current chairman of Multitrex Investments, the largest cocoa producing factory in the whole of West Africa. He is an established and dynamic entrepreneur renowned for his organisational and managerial skill throughout Nigeria. He has supported Flying Doctors Nigeria Ltd from the very start through investment and mentorship.

Captain Kiddie Dare

Captain Kiddie Dare is our aviation consultant and he is one of the most-respected figures in the Nigerian Aviation Industry. He relocated back to Nigeria from the States where he took up his position as a senior executive in ExonMobil. In the aftermath of the disastrous plane crashes of 2006, he was head-hunted by the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) where he together with Dr Demuren, Head of the NCCA, completely turned the department around. The benefits of the drastic improvements in standards and safety that he and his team brought about revolutionised air travel in Nigeria. He presently runs his own aviation consulting and jet hire service.

Dele Adesina (SAN)

Mr. Adesina (SAN) has practiced law for 26 years and has run the law firm Adesina And Co for over of 16 years. Dele Adesina (SAN) is a life member of the National Executive Committee of the Nigerian Bar Association and a past General Secretary of the Association. He is also a past Chairman of the Nigerian Bar Association, Ikeja Branch and a former member of the Nigerian Legal Aid Council. He is a member of the Business Law Section of the International Bar Association and a member of the Negotiation and Conflict Management Group an alternative dispute resolution organisation based in Nigeria. He was a member of the National Political Reform Conference where he served as a member of the judiciary and legal reform committee of the conference and also a member of the distinguished Body of Benchers, the highest regulatory body in the legal profession. Mr. Dele Adesina (SAN) was elevated to the prestigious rank of a Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN) – the highest recognition of excellency in the legal profession by the Legal Practitioners Privileges Committee on the 30th of October, 2007 at the Supreme Court of Nigeria. He is the company’s principal legal advisor.

R A Oyedele, Chief Magistrate

Chief Magistrate Oyedele has practiced law for 24 years and was appointed to the post of Chief Magistrate in Ondo State 3 years ago. Her career path has been exceptional; she is one of the only females in the state to reach this level of seniority within the judiciary. She also works as an advisor to the Ondo State government and has varied experienced in business and healthcare enterprise.

Mr James Olaleye

Mr James Olaleye is the current Nigerian Ambassador to Japan having formerly served at the Nigerian Embassy in Britain. His involvement in Flying Doctors Nigeria will strengthen our relationship with Japan, through promotion of the Busola Memorial Fellowship as well as with Britain.

Dr R Akomolafe, FRCPsych

Dr Akomolafe is a consultant psychiatrist that works privately throughout the UK specialising in learning disorders. He combines this work with his role as advisor to the Ondo state government helping to oversee the launch of the new healthcare plan for the state. He also has a lot of experience in the UK private sector providing infrastructure as well as management and financial advice to various companies.

Dr Leke Pitan

Dr Leke Pitan was appointed Commissioner for Health by his excellency the Governor of Lagos State Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu. His commitment to the provision of equity in service, led to the establishment of LASAMBUS Lagos State Ambulance Services in 2001. Dr. Pitan has received many awards and honours in recognition of his various contributions to the service of humanity. In March 2006 Dr Leke Pitan was moved to the Ministry of Education as Commissioner after serving in the health sector for 7 years. Dr Pitan in many ways is the personification of all of the values we stand for here at Flying Doctors Nigeria and we are privileged to have him as an advisor.

Dr Ola Orekunrin

Dr Ola Orekunrin is the Managing Director of Flying Doctors Nigeria Ltd, West Africa’s first Air Ambulance Service. She graduated from the University Of York, one of the youngest doctor’s in the UK and has worked in the NHS for nearly ten years . She has a specialist interest in trauma and pre-hospital care, buttressed by her private work at motor-racing circuits across the country. She has published her own book along with several articles in high-profile medical journals and has sat on various influential boards at the British Medical Association. In 2008, she was awarded the prestigious MEXT Japanese Government Scholarship and produced ground-breaking research in the field of regenerative medicine through her work with induced pluripotent stem cells. She also is a member of the American Academy of Aesthetic Surgeons and holds their board certification.

Professor David Warrell

Professor Warrell is a professor of tropical medicine and infectious disease at the University of Oxford who worked in Nigeria for many years studying the management of tropical disease. He is our primary advisor for the management of snake bites.

A business model needed a doctor to make it complete
They recruit a young inexperienced fresh graduate of a York medical school
Who has a specialist "interest in trauma"
Interest she says not specialist training
Notice the members of "her team"
Good business woman sha
Nigeria is a market
Re: Nigeria's First Flying Doctor Saving Lives In Nigeria- CNN by ocheejemb: 4:00pm On Apr 09, 2013
Gosh..Im sad for some of you. You will never achieve half of what she has done at 27 in your entire life and you are here talking rubbish and making foolish conjectures based on newspaper articles, instead on focusing on the 'good' she is doing (Although I dont know how many people would be able to afford her services). Nevertheless she is doing something great with her life thats gaining her recognition from TIME, CNN, MIT and the like, while you are here on nairaland saying rubbish.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's First Flying Doctor Saving Lives In Nigeria- CNN by debosky(m): 4:31pm On Apr 09, 2013
Madam Nwando - will you at least admit that you are wrong in claiming she doesn't hold a valid, FULL, license to practice in the UK?

Yes, at first glance claiming 10 years 'working for the NHS' can be construed to mean as a qualified doctor, but once you see how old she is and when she graduated, you know it must mean something else. As for whether she could've worked 'for' the NHS (whatever that means - shebi being a volunteer personal assistant for an NHS sef is working for the NHS grin). You CAN employ under 17's as volunteers in the NHS, provided they are adequately supervised:

Volunteers under 16 should be regarded as vulnerable. An individual risk assessment will enable a
proper judgement to be made on whether placing a young person in a voluntary role would put
them, or the people they work with, at risk.
The following basic principles should help with involving young people in your trust’s activities:
• young people should not be left unsupervised
• induction, training and supervision may have to be amended or increased for young volunteers
• informed parental/guardian consent should be obtained for volunteers under 16 – this shows
that the volunteer’s parent/guardian understands the role the young person will be undertaking,
what it involves, when and where they will be, and consent to this

The only items you have validly disputed are the alleged dates she started/graduated school, which could have arisen from journalistic errors. In any case, she has denied claiming 15, said she started at 17, which is plausible based on graduating in 2008.

As for resigning a 'high-flying job' - is housemanship not a job? I'd say it's more high-flying than the security/shyte-packing/early morning cleaning jobs many of her fellow naija people do no? cheesy cheesy

Too much bad belle here jare.

Yes she has amplified her achievements in a way that might be misunderstood, but nothing more.

Edited.
Re: Nigeria's First Flying Doctor Saving Lives In Nigeria- CNN by ocheejemb: 4:33pm On Apr 09, 2013
Angyee: Nwando, let me teach you how to verify the truth by tearing apart your claims.

1. As I said before I checked the GMC register online, anyone can do that and her details are there. It clearly states she is registered with a license to practice. You and your doctor friend are both quacks. to register you must have and see the quote below from GMC website:

this is the link to search for GMC registered doctors (I cannot put the link to her details specifically as it is time limited and will simply take you back to search site): http://webcache.gmc-uk.org/gmclrmp_enu/start.swe?SWECmd=GotoView&_sn=K0P8dzEJEY5pu9RNT4jxwNTQuIMdEA9SYinfwr1pOIVTevIlRuCtxF5AkDgk3tf9B.pZeR.9FtdetvrJRG7-4T3enrVvW-NMcidXgL8nt0WR-CyT1yVQJoaAZFtqRwVa4uI96Y6NIwwNLpDQDaaqOKqr1eoyX7DKQQc4FlkaV.vb27hPqUSDQQ3w1EpoHuVGnn8c7dCx44o_&SWEView=GMC+WEB+Doctor+Search&SRN=&SWEHo=webcache.gmc-uk.org&SWETS=1365514101&SWEApplet=GMC+WEB+Health+Provider+Search+Applet. or go to http://www.gmc-uk.org/doctors/register/LRMP.asp, 1st link there says show me the list, click on it and search. Go there, put her surname in, she is registered as Olamide Orekunrin, no. 7013906. A simple Google search would have shown you the link.

5. As for the bombings et al, almost if not all organizations in UK offer summer holiday placements so again very plausible.

God bless you for this. Simple verifiable facts on the Internet.

To add to what you have said:
Her GMC Record

Doctor Details
Results of search on: 09 Apr 2013 at 16:28:27. The details shown are valid at the date and time of the search only.
GMC Reference Number
Given Names
Olamide
Surname
Orekunrin
Status
Registered with a licence to practise
More Details
Primary Medical Qualification
MB BS 2008 The University of Hull and the University of York
Provisional Registration Date
01 Aug 2008
Full Registration Date
05 Aug 2009
Specialist Register entry date
This doctor is not on the Specialist Register
GP Register entry date
This doctor is not on the GP Register
Information for Employers
View information for Employers

http://www.nhsemployers.org/Aboutus/Publications/Documents/Recruiting_volunteers.pdf

There is NO requirement by the NHS to be of any minimum age. There is a caveat that states volunteers under 16 should be watched closely. The interested can peruse the document if they want.

Nwando and co, If you understand how the NHS works, you wouldnt be saying the rubbish you are saying.

Now you, NWANDO, You are a useless, bitter hater. I am very sure you havent achieved anything in your life that's why you are here spreading lies to appease your own failed ego. Feel free to prove me wrong and tell this house what you are doing with your miserable life apart from spending your time on Nairaland trolling people who do not know you exist. Your source is 'an NHS doctor'. What a foolish thing to say. Her sources are the motherfūcking GMC register, the University of Hull, the University of York, MIT, CNN, TIME, Flying Doctors Nigeria etc. They are there for you to validate and check, before coming to say rubbish on here.

Lets even give your ignorant self the benefit of the doubt. Even if she didn't graduate at 21, and wasn't one of the youngest doctors in the UK, even if she hasn't worked for the NHS for 10 years and whatever other idiotic claim you posted here, she has still achieved what you can NEVER EVER achieve in your entire life. I'm not even hating on you, people with your kind of attitude never go far in life. They just sit down hating other people's success on Nairaland.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria's First Flying Doctor Saving Lives In Nigeria- CNN by ocheejemb: 4:38pm On Apr 09, 2013
debosky: Madam Nwando - will you at least admit that you are wrong in claiming she doesn't hold a valid, FULL, license to practice in the UK?

Yes, at first glance claiming 10 years 'working for the NHS' can be construed to mean as a qualified doctor, but once you see how old she is and when she graduated, you know it must mean something else. As for whether she could've worked 'for' the NHS (whatever that means - shebi being a volunteer personal assistant for an NHS sef is working for the NHS grin) - you need to go back to the rules at the time before you can say anything conclusively, not rules in 2013.

The only items you have validly disputed are the alleged dates she started/graduated school, which could have arisen from journalistic errors.

As for resigning a 'high-flying job' - is housemanship not a job? cheesy

Too much bad belle here jare.

Nwando is an ídiot. Every medical student is more or less guaranteed a job in the NHS. They have a shortage of Doctors atm. A housemanship pays at the very very least 22k pounds. 22k pounds for a 21/22/23 year old isnt a high flying job abi My own NHS doctor friend is earning 27k in her first year after med school. Staying in the UK, she could have gone on to earn over 100k pounds as a consultant.
http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/explore-by-career/doctors/pay-for-doctors/
Re: Nigeria's First Flying Doctor Saving Lives In Nigeria- CNN by toluene12: 4:39pm On Apr 09, 2013
nwando:

quoted verbatim

[size=28pt]I am glad all she is doing is a flying kabu kabu service ferrying patients to real hospitals with experienced hands
That is all she is qualified for at this point IMHO[/size]

This guy, do you know what happens to haters? they are always embittered.
Its obvious nobody here wants to read ur needless ranting
refrain from this wasteful path u're treading and make something good out of your life
we will celebrate u and CNN will interview u.
Re: Nigeria's First Flying Doctor Saving Lives In Nigeria- CNN by Nobody: 4:41pm On Apr 09, 2013
Any more proof that Nwando is just another PHD (Pull Her Down) candidate?
@Angyee...Good job.
Re: Nigeria's First Flying Doctor Saving Lives In Nigeria- CNN by GalaxyNoteII: 4:59pm On Apr 09, 2013
ALL THIS HATING JUST BECAUSE THE DOCTOR IS YORUBA. . . . cheesy . . . . NWANNE, DID OJUKWU FIGHT FOR YOU TO BE THIS BITTER?

WE NEED MORE OF HER IN NGERIA, AND ESP IN ABIA, WHERE THE NUMBER OF INSANE SURPASSES THE SANE.

BITTER BITTER OLD HAG NWANDO AT IT AGAIN. . . .EPIC FAIL cool

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's First Flying Doctor Saving Lives In Nigeria- CNN by ocheejemb: 5:01pm On Apr 09, 2013
nwando: I have discussed her case before

So now she says she started at 17
Making her 22 or 23 at graduation not 21 so why the initial lies repeated once more in the first post one year after
Why tell us about her messenger job at 14 at an NHS facility as job experience?

Someone eventually told her NHS does not employ minors and she didn't give a response
This was by an NHS doctor in that conversation

Ìdiot!!! 17 + 5 is 23 abi? Maybe you think ASUU strikes in University of York! If you jealousy hadn't clouded your failure of a mind you would have considered that an academic year is around 9 months, from day 1 in September to final exams are usually around May. Meaning as at the time she wrote her final exams (of which writing your final med school exams in the UK are more or less a formality because its a cumulative system and you have to pass every single course every single year to get to final year) she very well could have been 21.
Re: Nigeria's First Flying Doctor Saving Lives In Nigeria- CNN by sleekman(m): 5:03pm On Apr 09, 2013
Nwando anything more? Otherwise michionu Biko! Ure a stinking moth in a trash can is my final verdict. Get a life
Re: Nigeria's First Flying Doctor Saving Lives In Nigeria- CNN by GalaxyNoteII: 5:05pm On Apr 09, 2013
Eko Ile:

[size=18pt]It's all about hate, bitterness, anger, jealousy and low self esteem ashebe style. [/size]

This is part of their DNA.

To the Good doctor, carry on the great work.

cool
Re: Nigeria's First Flying Doctor Saving Lives In Nigeria- CNN by sleekman(m): 5:08pm On Apr 09, 2013
If I was President I will make it a priority to criminalize tribalism just as racism is. This tribal bashing must be declared criminal urgently. Once that is done no one will come here an online forum and spill bile from their devilish, hate infested gutters they call mouths.
Re: Nigeria's First Flying Doctor Saving Lives In Nigeria- CNN by ocheejemb: 5:08pm On Apr 09, 2013
nwando: I have discussed her case before
This lady is simply a product of this system exploiting the weaknesses in the system.
I became aware of this lady about 2 years ago, when some colleagues concerned about the claims she made on her website contacted me for advice. They knew this lady and knew these claims to be false and broke the GMC guidance on probity. The issue was whether to report or not to report. When the final decision to report was taken, it was discovered she was not on the GMC register and did not have a licence to practice in the UK.

Who are the foolish 'colleagues' that came to meet you for advice? They dont know where Google is to check the GMC register by themselves? I cant even imagine the kind of møron that would come to your clouded, caustic self for 'advice'? It says right there she was provisionally on the register since August, 2008 and officially in 2009 (almost 5 and 4 years respectively), so which weakness are being exploited apart ? You are not just a bitter hater you are also a delusional liar. Enemy of Progress oshi

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Jonathan Not A Corrupt Leader – Ebenezer Babatope / Abubakar Saleh Michika Was Owed N400m By State He Once Governed / Division In APC Over Plans To Expel Amosun, Okorocha

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 168
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.