Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,432 members, 7,815,976 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:39 PM

Knowledge VS Good Grade(just on paper) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Knowledge VS Good Grade(just on paper) (1622 Views)

Seven Things You Must Do To Make A Good Grade In The University / What It Takes To Graduate With A Good Grade / Waec Gce 2014 Exammination Tips On How To Write D Exams With Good Grade (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Knowledge VS Good Grade(just on paper) by cdamsel(f): 10:43am On Apr 10, 2013
Which wld u prefer?

Actually learn in sch,(for ex)mayb fail a course,go bk study it & perform better,we all know hw dat brings down ur GPA

OR

Do whatever it takes to come out with a good GPA,sort courses(cask/kind grin)(cramp & pour) that is after d exam u don 4get every thing b dat ohhh

Which shd be ultimate 4 a student??
Re: Knowledge VS Good Grade(just on paper) by Bontee: 9:59pm On Apr 10, 2013
I believe everyone should strive for knowledge, acquiring skills and building up competences but with the way life is now then a mix of both would be my choice ( excluding cash and kind ).
Re: Knowledge VS Good Grade(just on paper) by cdamsel(f): 10:12pm On Apr 10, 2013
Bontee: I believe everyone should strive for knowledge, acquiring skills and building up competences but with the way life is now then a mix of both would be my choice ( excluding cash and kind ).
a friend & 1 were arguring about it,she said she wants knowlege,I said I want a taste of both worlds also,just wanted 2 get pple's opinion on d topic.

Nice 1 doe
Re: Knowledge VS Good Grade(just on paper) by Bontee: 10:25pm On Apr 10, 2013
cdamsel: a friend & 1 were arguring about it,she said she wants knowlege,I said I want a taste of both worlds also,just wanted 2 get pple's opinion on d topic.

Nice 1 doe

Hmm i see your point but to me, your friend is right to seek for knowledge as getting good grades is just for expedient reasons through those other means you mentioned. Knowledge stays with you forever, empowers you, opens your mind and sets the foundation for further exploits.

I also seek for good grades sometimes through cramping and pouring then hoping to acquire the knowledge later but it does not turn out the way we intended in some cases and hence the ills of cramping and pouring lol.
Re: Knowledge VS Good Grade(just on paper) by cdamsel(f): 11:04pm On Apr 10, 2013
Bontee:

Hmm i see your point but to me, your friend is right to seek for knowledge as getting good grades is just for expedient reasons through those other means you mentioned. Knowledge stays with you forever, empowers you, opens your mind and sets the foundation for further exploits.

I also seek for good grades sometimes through cramping and pouring then hoping to acquire the knowledge later but it does not turn out the way we intended in some cases and hence the ills of cramping and pouring lol.
i ve a lect who made 1st class & u wld clearly know he made it through craming & pouring,he doesn't know jack,wen 1 ask a q/a he doesn't know he looks @ u like u d evil witch of OZ.

Bt there is a lect wit 2.1 who doesn't even teach wit a note,he is so good,bt in our country 2day it makes pple chase after good grade cos dey blieve if u ve a good grade u shd b intelligent,ills of our edu sector sha cry
Re: Knowledge VS Good Grade(just on paper) by vivianc(f): 8:15am On Apr 11, 2013
cdamsel: i ve a lect who made 1st class & u wld clearly know he made it through craming & pouring,he doesn't know jack,wen 1 ask a q/a he doesn't know he looks @ u like u d evil witch of OZ.

Bt there is a lect wit 2.1 who doesn't even teach wit a note,he is so good,bt in our country 2day it makes pple chase after good grade cos dey blieve if u ve a good grade u shd b intelligent,ills of our edu sector sha cry

Stop chasing after what the country wants. The question should be "what do u want?"
Do you just want to be a graduate? Or a professional in what you do?
That's the difference between the pursuit of good grades and the pursuit of knowledge; the kinda graduates each produces.

You also have to know that the pursuit of pure unadulterated knowledge gives u an edge in the examination hall cos it makes u well grounded, no matter how the examiner twists the question, u won't be twisted.

I'm gonna give you an example, I remember when u did International accounting as a course. As you know, globalized economy is one of the economic factors that influence International accounting and it has its own objectives. A lot of people crammed those objectives, some even copied it down. But the examiner twisted the question like this; "what common efforts are pursued by nations in a globalized world economy?" This question confused them, they left the objectives of globalized economy and started writing the historical background of International accounting.

I can go on and on but I'd like to stop here. I have also weighed the both concepts and I have chosen my path.

The pursuit of knowledge supersedes corruption any time any day. On the other hand, corruption kills the zeal of pursuit of knowledge.

Note: This is my opinion, this is what I believe in, I'm not forcing it down anyone's throat cos it won't be fair. We all are vested with the right to choose our path, so choose what you think is best for u.
Re: Knowledge VS Good Grade(just on paper) by cdamsel(f): 8:53am On Apr 11, 2013
vivian chinaza:

Stop chasing after what the country wants. The question should be "what do u want?"
Do you just want to be a graduate? Or a professional in what you do?
That's the difference between the pursuit of good grades and the pursuit of knowledge; the kinda graduates each produces.

You also have to know that the pursuit of pure unadulterated knowledge gives u an edge in the examination hall cos it makes u well grounded, no matter how the examiner twists the question, u won't be twisted.

I'm gonna give you an example, I remember when u did International accounting as a course. As you know, globalized economy is one of the economic factors that influence International accounting and it has its own objectives. A lot of people crammed those objectives, some even copied it down. But the examiner twisted the question like this; "what common efforts are pursued by nations in a globalized world economy?" This question confused them, they left the objectives of globalized economy and started writing the historical background of International accounting.

I can go on and on but I'd like to stop here. I have also weighed the both concepts and I have chosen my path.

The pursuit of knowledge supersedes corruption any time any day. On the other hand, corruption kills the zeal of pursuit of knowledge.

Note: This is my opinion, this is what I believe in, I'm not forcing it down anyone's throat cos it won't be fair. We all are vested with the right to choose our path, so choose what you think is best for u.
soon I ll break ur head tongue
Re: Knowledge VS Good Grade(just on paper) by vivianc(f): 9:16am On Apr 11, 2013
cdamsel: soon I ll break ur head tongue

grin Morning sweetheart.....
Re: Knowledge VS Good Grade(just on paper) by Bontee: 9:54am On Apr 11, 2013
cdamsel: i ve a lect who made 1st class & u wld clearly know he made it through craming & pouring,he doesn't know jack,wen 1 ask a q/a he doesn't know he looks @ u like u d evil witch of OZ.

That's one of the problem of cramping facts as you cannot defend or discuss those knowledge competently outside the exam or lecture hall. When a student focuses too much on cramping and pouring then with time it will be very difficult for you to go back in seeking knowledge, it kills your creativity and ability to think outside the box.

Forget your country as in this modern global village, your skills, knowledge and competence are needed the world over. They look beyond good grades out there and seek for those who actually know what they were doing in school. Education according to Albert Einstein is not the learning of facts but the training of the mind to think.

Most of what we do in classrooms in Nigeria from nursery to tertiary education is the memorization of facts and we definitely forget those things quickly over time. Yes teaching is a form of learning and so do interactive discussion, playing,observation, experimenting,inquisitive thinking or actions, trial and error, apprenticeship,personal research and independent studies too.

Vivian chinaza said a lot for everyone to think and decide what to do, we were all product of this education system and society that defers us towards cramping and aiming for good grades or paper certificates. At a point in life we do realize this mistake and woe betide us if we do not deviate from that path after this realization. Just like vivian i am weaning myself off that Nigerian mentality and aiming to pursue raw knowledge.

P.S You can take a look at the education section of nairaland and see how these secondary schools kids are looking for expo to cramp and pour in their WAEC and JAMB examinations.
Re: Knowledge VS Good Grade(just on paper) by cdamsel(f): 11:05am On Apr 11, 2013
Bontee:

That's one of the problem of cramping facts as you cannot defend or discuss those knowledge competently outside the exam or lecture hall. When a student focuses too much on cramping and pouring then with time it will be very difficult for you to go back in seeking knowledge, it kills your creativity and ability to think outside the box.

Forget your country as in this modern global village, your skills, knowledge and competence are needed the world over. They look beyond good grades out there and seek for those who actually know what they were doing in school. Education according to Albert Einstein is not the learning of facts but the training of the mind to think.

Most of what we do in classrooms in Nigeria from nursery to tertiary education is the memorization of facts and we definitely forget those things quickly over time. Yes teaching is a form of learning and so do interactive discussion, playing,observation, experimenting,inquisitive thinking or actions, trial and error, apprenticeship,personal research and independent studies too.

Vivian chinaza said a lot for everyone to think and decide what to do, we were all product of this education system and society that defers us towards cramping and aiming for good grades or paper certificates. At a point in life we do realize this mistake and woe betide us if we do not deviate from that path after this realization. Just like vivian i am weaning myself off that Nigerian mentality and aiming to pursue raw knowledge.

P.S You can take a look at the education section of nairaland and see how these secondary schools kids are looking for expo to cramp and pour in their WAEC and JAMB examinations.
we all re saying d same tin,i want 2 b good in both ways,no b la cram la pour mata shagrin
Re: Knowledge VS Good Grade(just on paper) by Nobody: 2:09pm On Apr 11, 2013
Knowledge is everything and its d basis of every real virtue. D problem we face in d country today is "knowledge in disguise". One dat av dat kinda knowledge though may av a high graded certificated,bt its ntin, its nt even knowledge; its certificate. Wisdom,understanding,good work,decency etc are all d branches of knowledge. U cn take a view to c if d country posses any of those listed. Without d pure knowledge, u're just big Zombee cos though u may b big, u're empty.
My elementary school motto then was KNOWLEDGE IS POWER.
Re: Knowledge VS Good Grade(just on paper) by cdamsel(f): 6:58pm On Apr 11, 2013
Chukskalidon: Knowledge is everything and its d basis of every real virtue. D problem we face in d country today is "knowledge in disguise". One dat av dat kinda knowledge though may av a high graded certificated,bt its ntin, its nt even knowledge; its certificate. Wisdom,understanding,good work,decency etc are all d branches of knowledge. U cn take a view to c if d country posses any of those listed. Without d pure knowledge, u're just big Zombee cos though u may b big, u're empty.
My elementary school motto then was KNOWLEDGE IS POWER.
who knew u cld make sense grin
Re: Knowledge VS Good Grade(just on paper) by Nobody: 7:25pm On Apr 11, 2013
cdamsel: who knew u cld make sense grin
that's insultive
Re: Knowledge VS Good Grade(just on paper) by cdamsel(f): 8:13pm On Apr 11, 2013
Chukskalidon:
that's insultive
na y I say u dey do like nwa aba,can't u get d joke? undecided
Re: Knowledge VS Good Grade(just on paper) by Nobody: 6:56am On Apr 12, 2013
cdamsel: na y I say u dey do like nwa aba,can't u get d joke? undecided
dnt wori. Na nwa aba go marry u
Re: Knowledge VS Good Grade(just on paper) by cdamsel(f): 10:21am On Apr 12, 2013
Chukskalidon:
dnt wori. Na nwa aba go marry u
I don c my missing rib & no b nwa aba,fresh boi 4 anambra tongue
Re: Knowledge VS Good Grade(just on paper) by Nobody: 11:06am On Apr 12, 2013
cdamsel: I don c my missing rib & no b nwa aba,fresh boi 4 anambra tongue
what makes him fresh
Re: Knowledge VS Good Grade(just on paper) by cdamsel(f): 11:34am On Apr 12, 2013
Chukskalidon:
what makes him fresh
good q/a?

(1) (Reply)

. / Auchi Polytechnic 2016/2017 Nd Screening Form Is Out! / My Sister Got 4 A's (Including Chemistry & Physics without cheating (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.