Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,593 members, 7,809,152 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:31 AM

Nigeria Has No Functional Official Web Portal - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Nigeria Has No Functional Official Web Portal (8503 Views)

Difference Between Web Portal And Website? / Nigeria Has The Fastest Internet Speed In Africa? / Cost of Designing & Hosting a Web Portal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Has No Functional Official Web Portal by yawatide(f): 11:32am On Apr 10, 2013
Interesting article

http://www.punchng.com/i-punch/nigeria-a-country-with-an-ailing-website/

Nigeria, the self-acclaimed giant of Africa, has no functional official web portal. The website of the Federal Government of Nigeria, www.nigeria.gov.ng, is ailing.

For several weeks running, the web portal has been in a bad shape with no information other than the picture of President Goodluck Jonathan clad in his traditional Ijaw attire, smiling and waving at the supposed guests who get disappointed after visiting the blank website.

The information on the website reads, “Welcome to the Federal Republic of Nigeria’s web portal. This web portal will be uploaded shortly. For more information, email: webmaster@nigeria.gov.ng. Powered by the Federal Ministry of Information.”

A mail sent to the e-mail address, seeking enquiry and clarifications on the development, was also not replied as at the time of filing this report.

The poor African countries, including Zimbabwe, Republic of Congo, Burundi, Liberia and Guinea-Bissau, own and maintain functional websites and use them for the propagation of business and investment opportunities, relationships with various economic and political organisations as well as development partners from different parts of the world.

Even South Sudan, which is the newest nation on the continent, takes the issue of online presence seriously. The Government of South Sudan, under President Salva Kiir Mayardit, updates the site frequently with its activities. The last of such was the country’s plans to export oil through Djibouti via Ethiopia.

However, one wonders why presidential advisers and assistants own and maintain websites with adequate social media plug-ins and good visual resolution while the nation’s website, which is supposed to serve as a gateway to the rest of the world and a one-stop site for every information about Nigeria, its people and culture, is left unattended to.

But there is a twist to this! A Google search, by our correspondent, of the name of the Minister of Information, Labaran Maku, whose ministry is saddled with the responsibility of managing the website, shows that he might not even own a website as none could be attributable to him.

For more, read: http://www.punchng.com/i-punch/nigeria-a-country-with-an-ailing-website/
Re: Nigeria Has No Functional Official Web Portal by eduson33(m): 11:42am On Apr 10, 2013
ok
Re: Nigeria Has No Functional Official Web Portal by Nobody: 3:34pm On Apr 10, 2013
shocked shocked shocked :oSomeone needs to contact whoever handles this webmaster@nigeria.gov.ng
Re: Nigeria Has No Functional Official Web Portal by AFOLSNETWORKS(m): 4:53pm On Apr 10, 2013
The bureaucracy of giving job to the wrong persons is the reason for this.

Dont be surprised, the recurent expenditure they will claim on dat ailing website wld run into millions every month.

How sad.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Has No Functional Official Web Portal by yawatide(f): 5:24pm On Apr 10, 2013
^^^ I once had an insider in a certain state government "office" that had a website that hadn't been updated in 4 years, yet an annual budget of N20m was set aside for "maintenance" of same website tongue
Re: Nigeria Has No Functional Official Web Portal by jmoore(m): 6:38pm On Apr 10, 2013
I am not surprised at all.
Re: Nigeria Has No Functional Official Web Portal by PGON(m): 6:45pm On Apr 10, 2013
i can redesign and maintain at no cost.....

Just for my Country NGN

but see

Re: Nigeria Has No Functional Official Web Portal by omni1: 7:32pm On Apr 10, 2013
I feel so bad remembering how many volunteers put in efforts to do a prototype on this website and yet...
Re: Nigeria Has No Functional Official Web Portal by Startechng: 8:47pm On Apr 10, 2013
That part of corruption and negligence. Am willing to do it free with just a micro link back thats all!
Re: Nigeria Has No Functional Official Web Portal by yawatide(f): 10:28pm On Apr 10, 2013
@omni
Abi o! In some other countries, that site would have garnered some kind of a response. It makes me believe what I have heard about the NFF not being happy with Nigeria going all the way during tournaments so that they can claim the balance of the money for themselves.
Re: Nigeria Has No Functional Official Web Portal by Nobody: 4:29am On Apr 11, 2013
Not to sound unpatriotic, but Nigeria is a total mess, everything starts and ends with money, its no longer about quality services, i admired the contribution to help fix this sham. but the thing is, Nigeria system of contracting jobs is purely based on Nepotism and connections. what a f**king joke

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has No Functional Official Web Portal by GraphicsPlus(m): 7:08am On Apr 11, 2013
The webmaster even used table for layout.
Re: Nigeria Has No Functional Official Web Portal by Napolitano(m): 8:35am On Apr 11, 2013
Startechng: That part of corruption and negligence. Am willing to do it free with just a micro link back thats all!

like your cheap websites?
Re: Nigeria Has No Functional Official Web Portal by Startechng: 3:49pm On Apr 11, 2013
Napolitano:

like your cheap websites?
Whether cheap or not its cool as long as it servers it purpose, and its professional... Meanwhile, there are different grades of website development... Thank you!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has No Functional Official Web Portal by yawatide(f): 4:36pm On Apr 11, 2013
Folks, let's not let this thread fall a victim of "beer parlor" conversation.

Let's stay on point...
Re: Nigeria Has No Functional Official Web Portal by phpNET(m): 6:44pm On Apr 11, 2013
yawa-ti-de:
Folks, let's not let this thread fall a victim of "beer parlor" conversation.

Let's stay on point...
Thanks babe!

I think its a good thing u reminded some people that this is a national issue and not some personal business issues.
Re: Nigeria Has No Functional Official Web Portal by phpNET(m): 6:48pm On Apr 11, 2013
Does this mean that nigerian government has no IT career department? Or is it that they are not just competent?
Whats keeping NIIT from taking over this department?
Re: Nigeria Has No Functional Official Web Portal by omni1: 1:04am On Apr 12, 2013
php.NET:
Does this mean that nigerian government has no IT career department? Or is it that they are not just competent?
Whats keeping NIIT from taking over this department?
NIIT ain't even the best to take control of the IT department. There are far better people than the entire NIIT candidates
Re: Nigeria Has No Functional Official Web Portal by phpNET(m): 3:44am On Apr 12, 2013
*omni:

NIIT ain't even the best to take control of the IT department. There are far better people than the entire NIIT candidates

Yes i know, but i only mentioned NIIT cos they are the once offering recognised certificates, and maybe i was mistaking to believing its a federal institution. NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY (NIIT). But if am right then they have uper hand in handling the nations it sector and nations websites.

Just my little suggestions...
Re: Nigeria Has No Functional Official Web Portal by soloqy: 4:42am On Apr 12, 2013
php.NET:

Yes i know, but i only mentioned NIIT cos they are the once offering recognised certificates, and maybe i was mistaking to believing its a federal institution. NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY (NIIT). But if am right then they have uper hand in handling the nations it sector and nations websites.

Just my little suggestions...

They are not a Federal institution. Just a private business. NIIT is in India. The ones in Nigeria are just franchises just like APTECH.
Re: Nigeria Has No Functional Official Web Portal by iamswizz(m): 11:14am On Apr 12, 2013
welcome to Fresh Air
Re: Nigeria Has No Functional Official Web Portal by sheyguy: 11:16am On Apr 12, 2013
Sincere 9gerian, Please help propagate this message to Oga Patapata At The Top. Only you have the Energy level to do such from an anonymous forum.
Re: Nigeria Has No Functional Official Web Portal by apache77(m): 11:24am On Apr 12, 2013
[size=18pt]who said Nigeria has no functional website?
www.fmi.gov.ng - thats the minsitry of information
www.fmti.gov.ng thats the trade and investment website
agric, petroluem etc have theirs
but all info about Nigeria can be gotten from the fmi.gov.ng portal [/size]

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Has No Functional Official Web Portal by Nobody: 11:24am On Apr 12, 2013
Nigeria has too many cheaply designed web sites , where are the professionals ?
Re: Nigeria Has No Functional Official Web Portal by hrmkz: 11:25am On Apr 12, 2013
Nigeria has a website.
www.ng. Dats it.
Are u sure?
Ask oga @ d top!
Re: Nigeria Has No Functional Official Web Portal by HARDDON: 11:28am On Apr 12, 2013
wow!!

all Hail the GREAT GAINT OF AFRICA!

Thou art called 9ja
The crawling todler @ 53

Thou art a dazzle
To a wailing world

Long May you Live
But please
wud you arise?

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Has No Functional Official Web Portal by eminikansoso(m): 11:32am On Apr 12, 2013
BASEL FC VS CHELSEA FC
FERNABACHE VS BENFICA FC
Re: Nigeria Has No Functional Official Web Portal by HARDDON: 11:32am On Apr 12, 2013
apache77: [size=18pt]who said Nigeria has no functional website?
www.fmi.gov.ng - thats the minsitry of information
www.fmti.gov.ng thats the trade and investment website
agric, petroluem etc have theirs
but all info about Nigeria can be gotten from the fmi.gov.ng portal [/size]

all these are affiliates.

http://www.nigeria.gov.ng/ this is supposed to pay host to all others.

it is an insult to call a Father the name of HIS child

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Has No Functional Official Web Portal by Applestorelagos(m): 11:34am On Apr 12, 2013
APPLE-STORE. For all your apple computers, iPad, iPod, iPhone. All apple laptop & iPad accessories. Repairs & warranty of all apple products.
Contact us at: 11 OTIGBA STREET 3rd FLOOR, OPP FIDELITY BANK OFF MEDICAL ROAD. IKEJA, LAGOS.
Tel: 08135268317,08184215566
Email:bobosas46@yahoo.com
www.pelfman..com
Re: Nigeria Has No Functional Official Web Portal by AK481(m): 11:37am On Apr 12, 2013
When carpenter dey do shoemaker work,barber dey do engineer work.why e no go b like so?
Re: Nigeria Has No Functional Official Web Portal by thelastPope(m): 11:37am On Apr 12, 2013
I hate the way Nigerian journalists ply their trade. They are so incompetent and lazy.

The information ministry just announced they are about to launch an e-government portal, so what is the point of this thread. You only need to wait for the launch which is just a few days away and then you can critic the job. This thread is totally irrelevant.
Re: Nigeria Has No Functional Official Web Portal by thelastPope(m): 11:39am On Apr 12, 2013
HARDDON:

all these are affiliates.

http://www.nigeria.gov.ng/ this is supposed to pay host to all others.

it is an insult to call a Father the name of HIS child

Not true at all. Most of you just spew wrong information.

http://www.usa.gov/

That is the American government site. Doesnt pay host to all other sites. It is actually a simple site without any flare. Each department has a responsibility to promote their own site

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Your Facebook Ads Are Not Getting Clicks / 7 Ways To Drive Traffic From Forums To Your Blog / The Most Influential Nigerians On Twitter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.