Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,710 members, 7,824,014 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:23 PM

Passengers Commend Upgrades At Nigerian Airports - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Passengers Commend Upgrades At Nigerian Airports (932 Views)

Nigerians Will Soon Commend Jonathan For His Sincerity Of Purpose In Gov–dokpesi / Jos Airport Erects First Security Watch Tower In Nigerian Airports / Chinese Firm To Run 4 Nigerian Airports (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Passengers Commend Upgrades At Nigerian Airports by Rossikk(m): 5:15pm On Apr 11, 2013
[size=15pt]Air passengers have commended the infrastructure upgrades at the nation's airports.[/size]

Kano Airport

A cross section of the passengers who spoke to our correspondent said the improvement at the airports has made the airports more comfortable and a thing of pride. Anselem Chukwudi, a businessman told our correspondent that the upgrade of facilities at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport was a welcome development and heartwarming.

According to him, if only the Federal Government started the projects well ahead of time, Nigeria would have gone far by now in airport infrastructure.

Another passenger, Fredrick Babayo wondered why certain people are against the infrastructure upgrade.

"I am surprised that some people who call themselves industry stakeholders are condemning this laudable work the Federal Government is doing," he said. He said: "I have worked in this airport for years before I went into business and I am always travelling from this airport.

"I am disappointed with the so called stakeholders because this has shown that they have ulterior motive; their motive is not for the development of this country, but what gets to them as individuals; otherwise they should be encouraging government to continue in what they are doing."

Another passenger Benjamine Chidi said, "I have come to understand that people look at everything you do from sectional interest and religion. No matter what you do people who feel that you don't belong to their religion or that you don't belong to their tribe will always run you down, and that is why it will be difficult for us to be one, united nation. Sadly, this has been the hallmark of Nigeria's aviation industry."

The Chief Executive Officer of Overland Airways, Captain Edward Boyo said recently that the rehabilitated airports have improved passenger facilitation and are attracting more people to travel by air.

"The airports were horrible before now but as we would observe, there is airport modernisation going on. Airlines are now getting more patronage. By improving the airports, you have improved the airlines," Boyo said.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201304110425.html

4 Likes

Re: Passengers Commend Upgrades At Nigerian Airports by PointB: 5:47pm On Apr 11, 2013
That's comments from normal people and an airline operator. But we know of a certain minority group of sadists, led by the Resident Hypocrite, representing certain sectional and opposition interests, who will condemn these efforts as meaningless, just to score cheap points!

Carry go Stella!! Let haters of the transformation cling on the wings of flying aircrafts!

5 Likes

Re: Passengers Commend Upgrades At Nigerian Airports by Nobody: 5:50pm On Apr 11, 2013
Another GREAT news.
Oga Rossikk, well done!

FRESH AIR everywhere you go!!
Re: Passengers Commend Upgrades At Nigerian Airports by Rossikk(m): 5:55pm On Apr 11, 2013
^^ Sincere 9igerian, the one I'm really anticipating is MMA International itself. I hear it's impressive. cool
Re: Passengers Commend Upgrades At Nigerian Airports by mike404(m): 7:49pm On Apr 11, 2013
Front page plsssS
Re: Passengers Commend Upgrades At Nigerian Airports by mojounited(m): 10:50pm On Apr 11, 2013
Ok, this really looks cool... We need more!
Re: Passengers Commend Upgrades At Nigerian Airports by Maxymilliano(m): 4:33am On Apr 12, 2013
Rossikk:
"I have come to understand that people look at everything you do from sectional interest and religion. No matter what you do people who feel that you don't belong to their religion or that you don't belong to their tribe will always run you down, and that is why it will be difficult for us to be one, united nation. Sadly, this has been the hallmark of Nigeria's aviation industry."
Not only in the aviation industry but virtually every facet of the economy, some individuals or group of individuals are just permanently blind to anything good, so long as it from the present administration.

The aviation industry never got the much needed attention from successive governments, N19.5bn intervention fund provided by Obasanjo couldn't light up the runways, yet, little stride taking by current administration to revamp critical sectors is being condemned by 'naysayers' masquerading as 'stakeholders' .

Some of the developmental steps are just "one small step for man and one giant leap for mankind", there is every need to increase the drive.

The deliverable is what really matters ...

1 Like

Re: Passengers Commend Upgrades At Nigerian Airports by awodman: 6:56am On Apr 12, 2013
Maxymilliano:
Not only in the aviation industry but virtually every facet of the economy, some individuals or group of individuals are just permanently blind to anything good, so long as it from the present administration.

The aviation industry never got the much needed attention from successive governments, N19.5bn intervention fund provided by Obasanjo couldn't light up the runways, yet, little stride taking by current administration to revamp critical sectors is being condemned by 'naysayers' masquerading as 'stakeholders' .

Some of the developmental steps are just "one small step for man and one giant leap for mankind", there is every need to increase the drive.

The deliverable is what really matters ...
You just said it all..
Re: Passengers Commend Upgrades At Nigerian Airports by awodman: 7:17am On Apr 12, 2013
Re: Passengers Commend Upgrades At Nigerian Airports by awodman: 7:39am On Apr 12, 2013
In a related development
awodman:

Stakeholders in the aviation industry have commended the
Federal Government and the Nigerian Airspace
Management Agency (NAMA) for the establishment of Total
Radar Coverage of Nigeria (TRACON), which together with
effective communication has significantly improved safety
in Nigeria’s airspace.

The Secretary of the Aviation Round Table (ART), Samuel
Akerele, who spoke to newsmen shortly after inspecting
the TRACON facility at the Murtala Muhammed
International Airport, Lagos berated those misinforming
Nigerians about the project, noting that the equipment was
working very well.

“I think the equipment is fantastic and the staff are
dedicated and we thank the Managing Director of NAMA,
Nnamdi Udoh for giving ART the privilege to come and see
the system working. The purpose is for educational
purpose because some of our members don't really know
what is called radar and they have been passing comments
that are basically misinformation. I was there for 30 years
in NAMA, we designed the system, we know it is operating
and we know it covers the whole country, but when I say
that in a meeting others will say, no; we don't agree so I
said, ok, MD of NAMA, please give us the opportunity let
them come and see; so next time we are talking in a
meeting, other members will say we saw it with our own
eyes and it is working”, he said.

He expressed regrets that the power situation in the
country is still bad and called on NAMA to boost power
supply to the facility, noting that for optimum performance,
the radar should rely less on public power supply.
On communication in the airspace, Akerele explained that
NAMA has sectorised the communication system and that it
has boosted the radio frequencies. He noted that the
agency is also redesigning the airspace to further improve
communication.

He said: “If you listen to NAMA they have told you that they
have sectorised radio communication in the airspace. That
is, you divide it into two radios to different sectors because
these radio that you are talking about they are different
frequencies at the control tower, you have decimal one,
mega X, approach 143 or 127 so they are different just like
your radio in the house; you know when to put on Eko FM,
you know the other one Rhythm so they have different
frequencies and so with the sectorisation, the
communication system will improve and they are also
redesigning the airspace so that when you have incoming
route different from departure route then the congestion
will reduce.”

Akerele who retired as a general manager in NAMA
cautioned air traffic controllers to refrain from talking too
long to a pilot in the airspace, saying it contributes to
congestion. He also advised them to avoid repeating
questions when they can download such facts already got
in the system.

“NAMA had an outing at Sheraton Hotel, Lagos and I
remember saying that there are two things that you must
cut off from: what you are asking the pilot to do; for
instance, if the pilot is departing Lagos you will like to
know the number of persons on board and the amount of
fuel, now once he gives the information to the man in
Lagos, the man in Abuja doesn't need to ask him when he
gets to Abuja because the data are already in the system.
When you cut down all those questions the congestion will
just go down by almost half”, he added.

The ART Secretary also recommended that NAMA should
establish another control centre in Warri to attend to
aircraft flying in the south, south region and along the
waterways to enhance radio communication in the airspace
around the area.
“I have also recommended that they (NAMA) should have a
third control centre maybe in the Warri area to take care of
the flights over the oceans and then they will make more
money. Now we only have only two area control centres
Lagos and Kano but with this great traffic and the Niger
Delta helicopter operations, we need to put one around
Warri to handle the traffic so that they don't leave Calabar
and start calling Lagos; that is quite a long distance and
the radio range, they have their range, so put an area
control centre in Warri and then it will control that traffic
and transfer to Lagos,” Akerele said.

Source:www.thisdaylive.com/articles/aviation-stakeholders-laud-fg-over-total-radar-coverage-of-nigeria/144687/
Re: Passengers Commend Upgrades At Nigerian Airports by chiozor: 8:21am On Apr 12, 2013
seems the Yaribas-ofe mmanu were behind the poor state of our airports undecided

1 Like

Re: Passengers Commend Upgrades At Nigerian Airports by dplordx(m): 8:37am On Apr 12, 2013
Rossik i dey respect u...but which one be dis Mr.Biggs wey u come post here grin grin angry

(1) (Reply)

What Has Happened Or What Is Happening? / [BREAKING NEWS] Don’t Dare Us, Northern Youths Warn MEND / Obama Canvasses For Gay Rights In Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.