Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,133 members, 7,818,406 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:41 PM

Reps Reject 6yr Tenure And Dump State Creation - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reps Reject 6yr Tenure And Dump State Creation (18239 Views)

Committees: Reps Reject Dogara’s Appointments - Punch / Reps Reject Motion To Ban Alcohol Sale / Reps Reject 25%, Insist On 7.5% Pension For PHCN Workers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reps Reject 6yr Tenure And Dump State Creation by PointB: 3:05pm On Apr 12, 2013
The importance of additional state(s) in the SE Zone cannot be overemphasized and I believe we haven't heard the last of this state creation issue.

1 Like

Re: Reps Reject 6yr Tenure And Dump State Creation by thelastPope(m): 3:13pm On Apr 12, 2013
Angyee:

Blackmann, Are you a soothsayer? Guess what the top article on the fp is right now? You guessed it - Nollywood actresses and their tattoos and it already has more comments than this topic. I am sad for Nigerians.

This is why I do not take NL too serious. Most of the noise makers here do not have voters card. Yet they want you to believe they can have an influence on the Nigerian polity and elections.
Re: Reps Reject 6yr Tenure And Dump State Creation by YoursGEJ(m): 3:14pm On Apr 12, 2013
new state or not, BH go still dey bomb for north. shikena
Re: Reps Reject 6yr Tenure And Dump State Creation by nduchucks: 3:16pm On Apr 12, 2013
PointB: The importance of additional state(s) in the SE Zone cannot be overemphasized and I believe we haven't heard the last of this state creation issue.

Here you go with your empty threats again. States creation will NOT be included in the list of items to be sent to states for votes and included in the next constitutional amendments. So tell us what else you plan to do about it besides empty noise making.

One of your problems is that you people do not understand the political game. When Ohaneze made its submission to the constitutional review committee, you people did not support the group. The chairman of the constitutional review committee is from the SE yet you could not convince him to use his influence in your favour. Pretty soon you will resume your cry of marginalization. mtchweeeew
Re: Reps Reject 6yr Tenure And Dump State Creation by Ngwakwe: 3:17pm On Apr 12, 2013
We want a Nigeria where Cow and Camel are part of our population for the purpose of subjugating another region of the Country.

It's time we have a credible biometric documented census to help the South expose the lies of the Northern populated desert.
Re: Reps Reject 6yr Tenure And Dump State Creation by Nobody: 3:22pm On Apr 12, 2013
State Creation is just another "Resource Control" aberration. If States are granted Economic Autonomy, then I see no reasons for regions to cry marginalization. SE should push for Resource Control and NOT State Creation.
Re: Reps Reject 6yr Tenure And Dump State Creation by rcb34: 3:23pm On Apr 12, 2013
Do you know how it fils to be part and parcel of a state and never to become governor?, or never to become a chairman in any of the ministries in your state?,or never to be incharge of anything in the state except for positions in our local government,simply because your tribe is regarded as a minority,we all Nigerians why should some group be called minority and be treated as such,I know these our federal house will never debate on any good thing bt things th@ will swell their pockets, rubish news
Re: Reps Reject 6yr Tenure And Dump State Creation by maclatunji: 3:24pm On Apr 12, 2013
Yipeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Reps Reject 6yr Tenure And Dump State Creation by nduchucks: 3:29pm On Apr 12, 2013
Ngwakwe: We want a Nigeria where Cow and Camel are part of our population for the purpose of subjugating another region of the Country.

It's time we have a credible biometric documented census to help the South expose the lies of the Northern populated desert.

Why don't you stick with the topic? By the way, you may not want to have another census anytime soon because you may find out that the population figures for the Northern states, acoording to current census data, are grossly understated.

The number of people who came to Buhari's Rallies in a single state alone, is more than the population many of your states.
Re: Reps Reject 6yr Tenure And Dump State Creation by Abel202: 3:31pm On Apr 12, 2013
[b]My people, on the face level this is good as we realy do not need more states. Instead we need to make the existing ones more viable. But for equity sake the South East needs at least one more state to come at par with the six states which other geo-political zones have while one Northern zone even have 7. One more state in the South East was the only state approved for creation in the earlier draft that Ihedioha presented before the Northerners started shouting nonsense.
Truth is that you can't blame the South East caucus or say they are not united. The military made it so. The military all headed by Northerners created the lopsided states and LGAs to favor the North. So they have more Senators and more Representatives. This was to ensure that to make any change to favor the South like this state creation would be hard to impossible under this democracy. These they did and sealed in the constitution before handing over to the civilians,including putting in the constitution that every state of the federation must produce one Minister under every government, to make sure the North dominates in everything. So as long as we are under this democracy and we do not have a strong-willed leader who is assertive, any meaningful change that will favor the south that needs constitutional change is dead on arrival. Democracy is a question of numbers and the Northern Military establishment ensured that the numbers overwhelmingly favored the North before handing over and they know that their Northerners do not reason out of the box as they are very petty and tribalistic, therefore there is hardly any room for a reasonable number from the Northern legislators supporting a worthy cause tha will favor the South. So the status quo remains and the North keeps drawing everyone back.
The person that deserves to be digged up and hanged once again for the world to see is that block-head called Lord Lugard who conjured up this entity.
Just check out where government does not legislate on Federal character and favors the North what happens:
In the Nigerian Film Industry the South Dominate and the world is better for it.
In the Nigerian Music Industry the South Dominate and everyone is better for it.
In our Football same thing the South and we are winning victories.
Great Writers like Chinua Achebe, Wole Shoyinka, even upcoming Chimamanda Adichie etc
In virtualy all spheres of human development the South is Light Years ahead of the North.
If Not for the Lugard mistake of 1914 the South would be at par with the likes of South Korea while the North might love to bombing everything out of existence like Pakistan and Afganistan.
I love a big and great Nigeria if we can fulfill our potentials, but its becoming clearer every day that until the mistake of 1914 is corrected real success wil always elude us.[/b]

5 Likes

Re: Reps Reject 6yr Tenure And Dump State Creation by Blacklight: 3:35pm On Apr 12, 2013
A single-term tenure elongation; states creation; LGA autonomy and pretty much all that was on the constitution review committee's agenda are not what this country needs -- they at best pander to our unending preference for "half bread".

What this country needs in the absence of a sovereign national conference are: judicial, security and electoral reforms. If these can be accomplished with the former, then good. The former alone are totally superficial. Will do nothing to get this country on her feet much less walking.

Unsurprisingly the later do not seem to be on the agenda; our "leaders" have no interest in seeing this country walk. Their concern is firmly elsewhere.

2 Likes

Re: Reps Reject 6yr Tenure And Dump State Creation by Talk2Talk: 4:08pm On Apr 12, 2013
[b][/b] Nice decision so far until i hear the full report of the C/ttee... They alwayz ve smthg up thr sleeve.
Re: Reps Reject 6yr Tenure And Dump State Creation by anonimi: 4:22pm On Apr 12, 2013
ndu_chucks: Reps Reject 6-yr Tenure For President, Govs; Dump State Creation

…Reps approve autonomy for LG, state assemblies … cool

Finally the big, fat cats in the HoR get to do some meaningful work for all the mega millions they RECEIVE monthly from our taxes.
Good amendments to the constitution. Let's work on our respective state assembly representatives to get them endorsed.
Democracy is a PARTICIPATORY endeavour for greatest impact.

2 Likes

Re: Reps Reject 6yr Tenure And Dump State Creation by Symphony007: 4:30pm On Apr 12, 2013
ndu_chucks:

If you read the article carefully, you would have noted that the Reps recommended autonomy for local and state governments and these Reps should be commended for that. The question is would state governors, who were not comfortable with any form of autonomy for the local governments and their Houses of Assembly, allow the matter to scale through when it is reverted for voting in their respected states. I suspect they will rig the votes as usual so that they can keep their powers. Lets hope two-thirds of the states will vote in support of this particular amendment.
of course, no governour would want to loose that power, that is were federal pressure comes in. The federal government can withhold some benefits from the state governours like security votes and even their allocation because this is a aberation with infringes on the consitution and must be straigthen out. Once again, do you think governours will endure such a treatment from the president?
Re: Reps Reject 6yr Tenure And Dump State Creation by jmaine: 4:37pm On Apr 12, 2013
ndu_chucks:

The number of people who came to Buhari's Rallies in a single state alone, is more than the population many of your states.

LWKMD. . . . .So this is your justification of a populated North, simply because people have better things to do than waste their time in the sun listening to one politician

Bros, this level no hold water joor . . .

3 Likes

Re: Reps Reject 6yr Tenure And Dump State Creation by abokireal(m): 4:39pm On Apr 12, 2013
mhm @nigerian style
Re: Reps Reject 6yr Tenure And Dump State Creation by nduchucks: 4:44pm On Apr 12, 2013
jmaine:

LWKMD. . . . .So this is your justification of a populated North, simply because people have better things to do than waste their time in the sun listening to one politician

Bros, this level no hold water joor . . .

This post of yours is very disappointing and shows that you are a troublemaker. You know the point I was making yet you turned it into justification of the population of the North. Stop pretending to be a dummy, dummy!

At the end of the next census,I wouldn't be surprised of the number of Reps and Senators from Northern region as a whole increases by 20 - 30%
Re: Reps Reject 6yr Tenure And Dump State Creation by COOLDUN: 4:49pm On Apr 12, 2013
32-D:
When it gets to job application and appointments in federal agencies the dumb north will cry federal character to favour their stewpid and non-intelligent kinsmen n children. To create equality in number of states now they are using dia numbers n Tambuwal to kill it. Some idiots will now come out n start shouting yoruba is d problem of d south east. Your problems are ur leaders I.e. Ihedioha n all lawmakers frm ur region that wnt fight for ur interest. D next time I hear u people blame south west for ur woes n deprivation , na amadioha and sango go collectively wipe out una race.

Billion times back to your entire generation and ape tribe, when it is necessary to blame your tribe, it must surely be done without minding your curse which you have laid to your entire miserable generations and tribe. Are-oko like you.
Re: Reps Reject 6yr Tenure And Dump State Creation by Nobody: 4:51pm On Apr 12, 2013
I knew it would come to this angry
Is there no way the senate can over-ride this?
Re: Reps Reject 6yr Tenure And Dump State Creation by 9jii(m): 4:53pm On Apr 12, 2013
thelastPope:

This is something that really pisses me off. How long will some of these southerners continue to lick the azz of their northern masters. It is a disgrace. I do not really agree with state creation, but just the fact that the north is using it as a political tool really annoys me. This is injustice and it must stop.

if you are in their shoes,you too will surely do the LICKING.
Re: Reps Reject 6yr Tenure And Dump State Creation by duddexeng(m): 5:05pm On Apr 12, 2013
Power rotation among senatorial districts will calm the tension created by state creation. My personal opinion sha.
Re: Reps Reject 6yr Tenure And Dump State Creation by jaybee(f): 5:08pm On Apr 12, 2013
saintneo: Why reject state creation, LG & State Assembly autonomy?

Because those agitating for new states are not serious. the 1999 constitution has clearly spelt out the steps to creating a state.
Re: Reps Reject 6yr Tenure And Dump State Creation by jmaine: 5:12pm On Apr 12, 2013
ndu_chucks:

This post of yours is very disappointing and shows that you are a troublemaker. You know the point I was making yet you turned it into justification of the population of the North. Stop pretending to be a dummy, dummy!

At the end of the next census,I wouldn't be surprised of the number of Reps and Senators from Northern region as a whole increases by 20 - 30%

Am now a trouble maker for highlighting an hilarious justification of your post...

Okay let me give you a benefit of the doubt and allow you explain your post I quoted .

But this time, reduce your bile to avoid unnecessary friction . . . .
Re: Reps Reject 6yr Tenure And Dump State Creation by Evestar200(f): 5:15pm On Apr 12, 2013
Dont care abt what dey want 2 do! Just develop nigeria 4 me! Shekina!
Re: Reps Reject 6yr Tenure And Dump State Creation by idriis: 5:16pm On Apr 12, 2013
slyfoxxjoe: Good move by the house. Nigeria is working gradually. Those two proposals were a complete waste of time. New states for what? Have we fully developed the ones we have?
NO! GEJ's fresh sef never reach the 36 states wey deyundecided
Re: Reps Reject 6yr Tenure And Dump State Creation by PointB: 5:20pm On Apr 12, 2013
ndu_chucks:

Here you go with your empty threats again. States creation will NOT be included in the list of items to be sent to states for votes and included in the next constitutional amendments. So tell us what else you plan to do about it besides empty noise making.

One of your problems is that you people do not understand the political game. When Ohaneze made its submission to the constitutional review committee, you people did not support the group. The chairman of the constitutional review committee is from the SE yet you could not convince him to use his influence in your favour. Pretty soon you will resume your cry of marginalization. mtchweeeew

Sharrap aboki my friend,
The only clown given to making empty threat in here is you. I wonder where you read that Ohaneze's submission the constitution amendment committee was not support by us. In any case, if what you posted is anything to go by, this position represents the Reps position. I know their seniors in the upper house my have something different to say.

Enjoy your Pyrrhic joy while it lasts; Nigeria is basket case of disappointment in case you need any reminder.

2 Likes

Re: Reps Reject 6yr Tenure And Dump State Creation by PointB: 5:25pm On Apr 12, 2013
In any case, I fail to see how denying the SE Zone additional state(s) by element of Northern conspiracy help eradicate illiteracy, poverty, disease, and now death ravaging the North. It's simply a case of misplaced priority.

2 Likes

Re: Reps Reject 6yr Tenure And Dump State Creation by Nobody: 5:27pm On Apr 12, 2013
There is no good reason to create additional state.
Re: Reps Reject 6yr Tenure And Dump State Creation by yokiti: 5:40pm On Apr 12, 2013
So the end has come for the Ijebu, Oduduwa, New Niger, New Kaduna Edu, Aniocha, and whatsoever the proposed new states might be called? How I wish the undiluted PIB will be passed in this manner. LG autonomy might (will) not be welcomed by our states chief executives.
Re: Reps Reject 6yr Tenure And Dump State Creation by Ngwakwe: 5:48pm On Apr 12, 2013
Prof Corruption: There is no good reason to create additional state.

Better put, there is no reason South East should have lest representatives in the Senate, National Assemblies, Ministers, Federal Allocations and too numerous benefits to their populace which include more Universities, Schools, Hospitals etc.

The creation of a singular state in SE to balance the regions would have send great message of brotherliness to assuage the common belief of conspired injustice against SE by the Northern Hausas and Fulanis

3 Likes

Re: Reps Reject 6yr Tenure And Dump State Creation by asala1: 5:52pm On Apr 12, 2013
Ozonna: HOR members representing SE region should be skinned alive. The creation of a new state especially in the SE region is just to balance this equation of every other region having 6 or 7 states and SE having 5 states.

Truth must be told, creation of another is a bad idea from economic point of view. However, to still corect this anomaly of unequal state among the regions, lets go back to Regional Governments instead of what we have now. Let each region elect a minimum of 10 -15 people that will make up the NASS and make laws on a part time basis (there pay should be per sitting). This will reduce the cost of governance drastically.

Finally this report still goes to show that the Northerners holds the ace

I believe it is the northerner and the SW who are suppose to be clamouring for states creation and not the SE. Some states in the north are bigger than the whole of SE. Kano state by land mass is bigger than all SE states put together. Kaduna state is a big as the SE. Why is it that it is the easterner that are feeling marginalised here?
Re: Reps Reject 6yr Tenure And Dump State Creation by PointB: 5:56pm On Apr 12, 2013
Ngwakwe:

Better put, there is no reason South East should have lest representatives in the Senate, National Assemblies, Ministers, Federal Allocations and too numerous benefits to their populace which include more Universities, Schools, Hospitals etc.

The creation of a singular state in SE to balance the regions would have send great message of brotherliness to assuage the common belief of conspired injustice against SE by the Northern Hausas and Fulanis

I don't think, the hordes think that way; the live of savagery and us versus them seem to be their favoured style. Despite all the so called undue advantage, they still manage to churn out more suicide bombers and almijiris than normal people.

Well, it's Nigeria, nothing is ever cast in stone!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Protest In Jigawa Over 'Harassment Of Sule Lamido By Jigawa State Governor(pics) / Peter Obi: Nigeria Needs Leaders With Genuine Identity, Verified Credentials / Dambazau Name Missing From List Of Officers For Further Investigation -SR

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.