Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,174 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:55 AM

Reps Reject 6yr Tenure And Dump State Creation - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reps Reject 6yr Tenure And Dump State Creation (18245 Views)

Committees: Reps Reject Dogara’s Appointments - Punch / Reps Reject Motion To Ban Alcohol Sale / Reps Reject 25%, Insist On 7.5% Pension For PHCN Workers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reps Reject 6yr Tenure And Dump State Creation by c33b33(m): 10:08pm On Apr 12, 2013
Engineer96: Let us stop wasting our time concluding on things that has not been concluded.
The last time I checked, Nigeria has a bi-camera legislature. HOP is just an arm of the national assembly and let's not forget that nothing becomes a law in Nigeria without both houses approving it.
Igbo has more vocal voice in the senate while the abokis has more vocal voice in the lower chamber.
Let's keep our finger crossed and wait for the outcome of that of the senate and the approval of the joint committees.
Something will definitely be added to while some will also be removed from either HOR or/and senate recommendations .
Let's wait and see what happens at the end.
Thank you!
Re: Reps Reject 6yr Tenure And Dump State Creation by nduchucks: 11:07pm On Apr 12, 2013
ikwere militant: so if north is not moving forward odas shoud not.state police no,pib no,snc no,resource control no,true fedralism no,state creation no.but coruption yes nepotism yes, mismanagement yes nd yet some fools frm d west will choose to aliey wit dm in d name of knowng too much let me see who will come here nd call gej a reterd agan

no be ya fault,na OBJ wey give GEJ power, give you sef mouth to talk. Just hope that power never leaves the SS and that someone from the SS never leaves the office of the president. The day wey power go shift go East. West,or North, una go hear wen!! By dat time we go don get drones to smoke una out of the creeks.

Ngwakwe: Can you elaborate the statement below if it means anything different from Regionalism which you said was also never advocated by others except Ohanaeze?

I applauded Ohaneze for supporting the idea and still believe its the way to go. It is obvious that PDP and its agents like PointB are hell bent on maintaining the status quo and even increasing the number of states. I also support 100% resource control within state boundaries. Any minerals found more that 5 miles offshore to be controlled 100% by the federal government since those belong to all of us.
Re: Reps Reject 6yr Tenure And Dump State Creation by Kaggs2003: 11:59pm On Apr 12, 2013
SLIDE waxie: jes like i guessed.
The word, 'northern' in the raticle is completely useless. It only points a finger to a direction, and will only promote tribalism and bigotted comments as urs!
You can rant ur heart out if you want, but wat d guy said is right, if we most forg ahead as one nation their must be equity & fairness so dont be sentimental about it pls
Re: Reps Reject 6yr Tenure And Dump State Creation by pazienza(m): 12:01am On Apr 13, 2013
I believe that there was a census conducted by a british commissioner in the the 1960's that placed the southern nigerian population ahead of that of the north,and in the south,same census placed the eastern region population ahead of the west. I believe that same census was rejected by balewa,and a new fabricated census that increased the north's population, stagnated the west population and diminshed the eastern region population was then drafted. And ever since then,same fabricated census had been updated and thrown at our face.
Kettyking once posted an article on that here.

The dearth of true leadership is our undoing in igboland,and it is so,because of the nigerian factor.In an igbo republic, it won't be so.

Any igboman that believes that justice and equity would one day be allowed to reign in this colonial entity,needs to have his head checked.
The way forward,is republic of igboland.
Re: Reps Reject 6yr Tenure And Dump State Creation by dayokanu(m): 12:07am On Apr 13, 2013
^^ i dont think anything has changed

As at 1963 Nigeria had 4 regions Northern, Western, Midwest and eastern region

If you add the Population of the former Eastern region to Include the current Southeast + Akwa-Croos, Rivers and bayelsa It would still be more than that of the Western region (SouthWest)

No new discovery there
Re: Reps Reject 6yr Tenure And Dump State Creation by gerald09(m): 12:08am On Apr 13, 2013
ayobase: RUBBISH!
Why can't they pass the 6yrs single tenure instead of the divided by 2 8yrs single tenure!

Let a President come and prove his/her worth for a 6yrs....SIMPLE!

Not by washing plates for 4yrs and using the next 4yrs to eat from it......another will come and wash for 4years.......and the procudure continues!
The good news is if the elected president watch finish without doin anytin Ѿε̲̣̣̣̥ comot am. Since GEJ just det do long fin if another competent person dey Ѿε̲̣̣̣̥ remove GEJ in 2015 instead of allowing him to come chop.
Re: Reps Reject 6yr Tenure And Dump State Creation by KnowAll(m): 12:12am On Apr 13, 2013
what if the senate turns it down, knowing David Mark's passion for d creation of a new state out of Benue state representing the Idomas, what happens?
Re: Reps Reject 6yr Tenure And Dump State Creation by ROYALD(m): 2:43am On Apr 13, 2013
i dey laugh
Re: Reps Reject 6yr Tenure And Dump State Creation by ddeola: 3:54am On Apr 13, 2013
Can someone please tell all these politicians that the military is watching them. They should address real issues and stop dancing in circles and marking time for God's sake.
Re: Reps Reject 6yr Tenure And Dump State Creation by kabba7(m): 4:25am On Apr 13, 2013
thelastPope:

This is something that really pisses me off. How long will some of these southerners continue to lick the azz of their northern masters. It is a disgrace. I do not really agree with state creation, but just the fact that the north is using it as a political tool really annoys me. This is injustice and it must stop.
[color=#990000][/color]

God bless the speaker and all members that took these decisions many state are bankrupt but some self centred people want more even though they said they have finish parking thier loads to leave Naija let them go create 100 state when they get to destination no wahala, the governors too can go to hell hopefully thier over bearing gragra will be reduced.
Re: Reps Reject 6yr Tenure And Dump State Creation by lookmangiw(m): 6:18am On Apr 13, 2013
Billyonaire: LGA autonomy is great, so is Independence of State Houses of Assembly if it scales through.
6 Yrs Single Term is better than 4Yrs 2 terms.
thereby allowing your dumbwit paymaster to elongate his tenure.
Re: Reps Reject 6yr Tenure And Dump State Creation by obyno6203: 7:15am On Apr 13, 2013
ok
Re: Reps Reject 6yr Tenure And Dump State Creation by Nobody: 7:24am On Apr 13, 2013
I hope they pass the local government autonomy law before they leave in 2015, local government chairmen have suffered too much in my state.
Re: Reps Reject 6yr Tenure And Dump State Creation by Smooyis(m): 7:30am On Apr 13, 2013
ndu_chucks:

If you read the article carefully, you would have noted that the Reps recommended autonomy for local and state governments and these Reps should be commended for that. The question is would state governors, who were not comfortable with any form of autonomy for the local governments and their Houses of Assembly, allow the matter to scale through when it is reverted for voting in their respected states. I suspect they will rig the votes as usual so that they can keep their powers. Lets hope two-thirds of the states will vote in support of this particular amendment.
If the state Lawmakers like, let them continue to be controlled by their Governors. Its is left for them. But we at the grassroot really want autonomy for the Local Govt Chairmen. Why must the Governors do as if they are even more powerful than the president? Haba
Re: Reps Reject 6yr Tenure And Dump State Creation by LBT: 7:35am On Apr 13, 2013
6years single term will take corruption to a level never seen before because the person in office knows he/she ain't coming back to that office while something can still be done to stop a corrupt official from having another 4years tenure. Trust me after a few years of 6years terms our politicians would work out a consensus to make it 6years 2 terms: what will we Nigerians do since they are good at such thing that will benefit them mainly and not the people? Also,the creation of more states will be a waste of time and money, what have most governors done to develop their states to warrant more states? We are just going to encourage more corruption!
Re: Reps Reject 6yr Tenure And Dump State Creation by samkoro: 8:50am On Apr 13, 2013
Ozonna: HOR members representing SE region should be skinned alive. The creation of a new state especially in the SE region is just to balance this equation of every other region having 6 or 7 states and SE having 5 states.

Truth must be told, creation of another is a bad idea from economic point of view. However, to still corect this anomaly of unequal state among the regions, lets go back to Regional Governments instead of what we have now. Let each region elect a minimum of 10 -15 people that will make up the NASS and make laws on a part time basis (there pay should be per sitting). This will reduce the cost of governance drastically.

Finally this report still goes to show that the Northerners holds the ace

Justice 'cures' ethnicity.When ethnicity is cured ,patriotism arrives.When there is patriotism,the fight against curruption is energised on a solid platform.When this happens,the economy grows.If the growth is well managed ,it flows round such that majority of the poor are raised to the middle class level.Things start getting better and better,and this economy which broke down since 1981 will rise for once.

Many nairalanders do not know what it means to have a good economy.Don't think about the present materialism due to free oil money.Ur car and duplex is not a symbol of a good economy;the poor,hungry and angry surrounds u so much .

The last time I saw a good Nigerian economy was in 1981.Nigerian citizens were full of so much smiles,laughter,trust,love,kindness,freedom,good intentions,sympathy and so much of humane characters,cos it was good for every one.

But today,the national assembly,as a pure extension of the Nigerian society where members are full of hatred for people from other region,they rather die than say the truth.

The question that deserves a true answer is who needs additional states among regions that has,5,6 and 7 states;even when some areas were scanty deserts when they were created by selfish millitary dictators.

As long as dishonesty thrives at the national assembly,Nigerians should say bye! bye! To economic paradise till jesus comes.

2 Likes

Re: Reps Reject 6yr Tenure And Dump State Creation by TexasR: 9:43am On Apr 13, 2013
@ blink182

I tried sending you an emailthrough the nland channel,I have some urgent enquiries about the free shipping stuff,kindly email me via don2die4@cheerful.com so I have your email address
Thanks in advance
Re: Reps Reject 6yr Tenure And Dump State Creation by Raymondgabriel(m): 10:16am On Apr 13, 2013
ayobase: RUBBISH!
Why can't they pass the 6yrs single tenure instead of the divided by 2 8yrs single tenure!

Let a President come and prove his/her worth for a 6yrs....SIMPLE!

Not by washing plates for 4yrs and using the next 4yrs to eat from it......another will come and wash for 4years.......and the procudure continues!

iam against d 6yrs term of office.4/4yrs is much beta. No gov wil achiev anytin dat 6yrs knwin dat dere is no 2nd term 4 him....6yrs of lootin!!!
Re: Reps Reject 6yr Tenure And Dump State Creation by nduchucks: 11:31am On Apr 13, 2013
PointB:

My guy, I think the irrational folk here is you. Normally, I don't pay heed to your silly propaganda. You appear favoured today cos of the passionate plea you made for contributions to this post, and the benefit of the extra time I have to spare. So enjoy the fun while it lasts.

But let me assure you, the issue of state creation is going to be a recurring decimal in our polity. That is what I wanted you blockhead to know. Alas, to much cow milk (or is it cow dung you take these days) seems to have caused a perpetual state of mental retardation in you, to the extent that I have to spell it out for you.

Now olodo, hear me once again. If the NA went ahead and pass the amendment without any efforts to balance the Zonal arrangement of the state, your Northern cabal would have only succeeded in winning a battle, but the war is still on. Or you think this Pyrrhic victory is the end of Nigeria politics, you little blockhead!

You continue to issue empty threats which puts your ignorance and lack of political sophistication on display for all to see. It appears as if you do not know that an Act of the National Assembly for the purpose of altering the provisions of the constitution and state boundaries,in particular, cannot be passed by either House of the National Assembly unless the proposal is approved by the votes of not less than four-fifths majority of all the members of each House, and also approved by resolution of the House of Assembly of not less than two-third of all States.

That is a whopping 80% of all members of each house!!! Nwanne m, no amount of threats or empty chest beating will get you new states until you come out of the bush and learn to play the political game of negotiations and give and take politics. The immediate problem you have is that, you have nothing to offer to negotiate convince people to support your wish. I don't have time to educate you today but I'm sure you should have realized by now that you are not exactly operating from a position of strength. olodo
Re: Reps Reject 6yr Tenure And Dump State Creation by Orblonde: 1:18pm On Apr 13, 2013
Or Just cut out the north. We cannot carry them anymore as they are the biggest impediment to progress and suck out the ambition of Nigeria

pazienza: I believe that there was a census conducted by a british commissioner in the the 1960's that placed the southern nigerian population ahead of that of the north,and in the south,same census placed the eastern region population ahead of the west. I believe that same census was rejected by balewa,and a new fabricated census that increased the north's population, stagnated the west population and diminshed the eastern region population was then drafted. And ever since then,same fabricated census had been updated and thrown at our face.

The dearth of true leadership is our undoing in igboland,and it is so,because of the nigerian factor.In an igbo republic, it won't be so.

Any igboman that believes that justice and equity would one day be allowed to reign in this colonial entity,needs to have his head checked.
Re: Reps Reject 6yr Tenure And Dump State Creation by Orblonde: 1:22pm On Apr 13, 2013
All this talk is a waste of time until we find a way of splitting out the north....no offense please

1 Like

Re: Reps Reject 6yr Tenure And Dump State Creation by nduchucks: 2:03pm On Apr 13, 2013
pazienza: I believe that there was a census conducted by a british commissioner in the the 1960's that placed the southern nigerian population ahead of that of the north,and in the south,same census placed the eastern region population ahead of the west. I believe that same census was rejected by balewa,and a new fabricated census that increased the north's population, stagnated the west population and diminshed the eastern region population was then drafted. And ever since then,same fabricated census had been updated and thrown at our face.

It is unfortunate that your believes are based on laziness and ignorance. May I suggest that you read up on the 2006 Census and note the constitution of the 37 member National Population Commission which conducted the census. I don't have time to educate dullards today.
Re: Reps Reject 6yr Tenure And Dump State Creation by seanet01: 2:53pm On Apr 13, 2013
Billyonaire: LGA autonomy is great, so is Independence of State Houses of Assembly if it scales through.
6 Yrs Single Term is better than 4Yrs 2 terms.
Local government autonomy can not work under true federalism.
Re: Reps Reject 6yr Tenure And Dump State Creation by ajadek(m): 6:30pm On Apr 13, 2013
slyfoxxjoe: Good move by the house. Nigeria is working gradually. Those two proposals were a complete waste of time. New states for what? Have we fully developed the ones we have?
I can see,u don't know the advantage of state/lcg,don't to know that govermnent will close to people?then everything will be equal.they didn't dump it because of interest of mass but for their own interest.
Re: Reps Reject 6yr Tenure And Dump State Creation by muktarmtt(m): 8:40pm On Apr 13, 2013
Idi Amin: I know that all those abokis in the house will fight the creation of atleast one more state in d east to balance the regions. Abeg mek we go our ways while time still dey.
So wat d Bleep r u waiting 4 carry ur wahala go
Re: Reps Reject 6yr Tenure And Dump State Creation by UncleJJ(m): 9:51pm On Apr 13, 2013
How are new states going to funded ?

A six yr tenure means gej will run a third term for six yrs.

A six year term will also mean, the president or governor does not have to perform since he or she would not have to perform as he wont be returning for a another term.

For autonomy of states and local govt. This would mean each state or local government would have to finance itself.

Currently only kano, lagos, and some oil producing states are capable of this.
Re: Reps Reject 6yr Tenure And Dump State Creation by Nobody: 2:27am On Apr 14, 2013
Good move!
Re: Reps Reject 6yr Tenure And Dump State Creation by ROYALD(m): 7:49pm On Apr 25, 2013
THE INJUSTICE AMONG US

ZONES NORTH WEST NORTH EAST NORTH CENTRAL SOUTH WEST SOUTH SOUTH SOUTH EAST
NW NE NC SW SS SE
STATES
NW7,
NE6,
NC 6,
SW6 ,
SS6,
SE5
LOCAL GOVT AREAS
NW186
NE112
NC115
SW138
SS123
SE95
# OF FEDERAL CONSTITUENCIES
NW92
NE48
NC49
SW71
SS55
SE43
# SENATORIAL DISTRICTS
NW21
NE18
NC18
SW18
SS18
SE15

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

2019 Elections: Boko Haram Plans Attack, US Warns Citizens / Abaribe: I Will Contest Abia Governorship Election In 2023 / Police Arrest Journalists Covering Demolition Of PDP Campaign Office In Gombe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.