Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,752 members, 7,817,082 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:53 AM

Can Someone Explain What Matthew 16:28 Means - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can Someone Explain What Matthew 16:28 Means (2200 Views)

Matthew 16 Vs 18 Didnt Refer To The Catholics It Applied To All Believers / Biblical Sages, Feast On This Verse And Tell Us What It Means Matthew 16 Vs 28 / Pastor Matthew Ashimolowo Speaks On T.b Joshua (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Someone Explain What Matthew 16:28 Means by ogeelove(f): 12:20pm On Apr 12, 2013
In Matthew 16:28 Jesus says "I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom." Does the transfiguration in chapter 17 explain it? Is it a second coming? If not, can u explain it in clear words?
Re: Can Someone Explain What Matthew 16:28 Means by Nobody: 12:45pm On Apr 12, 2013
like i always tell people, the new testament is a book for the elect. its about how the elect unified the world both jew and gentile back to christ and these are whom christ died for so as to be able to accomplish this feat. and the rest of the new testament is letters back and for th between the elect. with that backdrop of that verse being established lets get to the verse itself
christ pardoned the sins of the elect ( grace ) and then sealed them ( put them above all laws ). they are no longer terrestrial bodies. they are now celestial bodies even though they dwell in the flesh. they will be spiritually alive now till the end of times. they will never die ( shut down ) spiritually anymore. so this is another verse that proves that the spirit of man abides forever while we shed our body in physical death roughly every 80 - 120 years ( genesis 6 vs 3 ) but the spirit abides forever. the spirit can be shut down in sin or it can be alive if you dwell in the word. this is the event describing the awaking of their spirit

matthew 27 vs 51- And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent;

52 And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose,

53 And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.

SO IN SUMMARY- THAT VERSE IS NOT TALKING ABOUT PHYSICAL DEATH BUT SPIRITUAL DEATH AND THAT VERSE IS TALKING ABOUT THE YET TO BE SEALED ELECT WHO WERE WITH CHRIST AT THAT POINT IN TIME ( THE DISCIPLES ) WHO WOULD BE SEALED AND SPIRITUALLY RESSURECTED AFTER CHRIST DEATH

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can Someone Explain What Matthew 16:28 Means by ogeelove(f): 2:32pm On Apr 12, 2013
obadiah777: like i always tell people, the new testament is a book for the elect. its about how the elect unified the world both jew and gentile back to christ and these are whom christ died for so as to be able to accomplish this feat. and the rest of the new testament is letters back and for th between the elect. with that backdrop of that verse being established lets get to the verse itself
christ pardoned the sins of the elect ( grace ) and then sealed them ( put them above all laws ). they are no longer terrestrial bodies. they are now celestial bodies even though they dwell in the flesh. they will be spiritually alive now till the end of times. they will never die ( shut down ) spiritually anymore. so this is another verse that proves that the spirit of man abides forever while we shed our body in physical death roughly every 80 - 120 years ( genesis 6 vs 3 ) but the spirit abides forever. the spirit can be shut down in sin or it can be alive if you dwell in the word. this is the event describing the awaking of their spirit

matthew 27 vs 51- And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent;

53 And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.

SO IN SUMMARY- THAT VERSE IS NOT TALKING ABOUT PHYSICAL DEATH BUT SPIRITUAL DEATH AND THAT VERSE IS TALKING ABOUT THE YET TO BE SEALED ELECT WHO WERE WITH CHRIST AT THAT POINT IN TIME ( THE DISCIPLES ) WHO WOULD BE SEALED AND SPIRITUALLY RESSURECTED AFTER CHRIST DEATH

Tanx for the explanation but pls be patient with me if I seem slow in understanding. So I'll ask

1) when u say elect do u mean apostles and those Christ has chosen dead and alive?
2) when u say the new testament is for the elect, do u mean that the words in it are not meant for everyone?
3) Is it not the death of Christ and the belief in Jesus that reconciles one to GOD? Ephe 2:16
4) from ur summary, these elect will not experience a second death?
Re: Can Someone Explain What Matthew 16:28 Means by JeSoul(f): 3:38pm On Apr 12, 2013
Ogeelove, sister how body now? Per the topic, check out this link. There are several theories out there as to possible explanations. A bit long, but quite thorough & detailed. Godbless!

http://pastormark.tv/2012/02/16/tough-text-thursday-matthew-16-28

Tough Text Thursday: Matthew 16:28

“Truly, I say to you, there are some standing here who will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.” Matthew 16:28

Salvation costs you nothing, but discipleship will cost you everything. Salvation occurs in a moment. Discipleship takes a lifetime. Salvation is something that God does for you. Discipleship is something you do with God. Sadly, many only preach a life of decision, not a life of discipleship. The result is that when people hit hard times and life doesn’t seem to be working they become disillusioned with Jesus rather than devoted to Jesus.

Jesus is not a salesman. He’s not trying to market anyone, sell anyone, or con anyone. He’s absolutely, brutally honest with us about what it means to truly be his disciple. A disciple is one who believes in Jesus, worships Jesus, serves Jesus, follows Jesus, obeys Jesus, and is even willing to suffer for Jesus.

In Matthew 16:24, Jesus told his disciples, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.” Jesus told his disciples then, and Jesus told his disciples today, that if we follow him, we must be willing to follow in his footsteps and deny ourselves with the prospect of even suffering.

We live in a world filled with quitters. People often quit on God, quit on their responsibilities, quit on their marriages, and quit on their children. Some people continually look for the path of least resistance. But if you follow Jesus, you must be a disciple who perseveres, not quit when the going gets tough. And following Jesus will be difficult at times and will even cost many their very own lives.

In Matthew 16:28, Jesus encourages his disciples in their self-denying pursuit of Jesus by reminding them that he will one day return “with his angels in the glory of his Father” (Matthew 16:27). This leads us to our passage of study today, Matthew 16:28.

Context of the Verse
Matthew 16:28 falls within the context of Matthew 16:21–28. In verses 21–23, Jesus informs his disciples that he must suffer go to Jerusalem, suffer, be killed, and rise from death three days later (16:21). At this point Peter, who apparently had a different opinion of what Jesus should do, pulled Jesus aside and scolded him for making such a claim (16:22). Jesus in turn rebuked Satan and reprimanded Peter (16:23). This scenario sets up Jesus’ discourse on discipleship in Matthew 16:24–28.

Jesus’ teaching on discipleship in Matthew 16:24–28 is defined by denying ourselves, picking-up our cross, and following him (16:24). In the words of David Turner, to be a disciple is to embrace “cross before crown, suffering before glory, service before reign.” Not only will Jesus carry a cross, so too will those of us who choose to follow him.

Jesus then explains the essence of discipleship in three ways. In verse 27, Jesus explains that when he returns with his angels, there will be a final judgment and everyone will be held accountable for what they have done. As disciples of Jesus Christ, we are encouraged to deny ourselves, pick up our cross and follow Jesus since he will return without any notice. The idea of the Son of Man “coming” with his angels in the glory of his Father leads to 16:28, where Jesus says that “there are some standing here who will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.” What exactly is Jesus referring to here? There are a few different views for us to take into consideration.

View #1: The Second Coming
Some believe that Jesus’ words refer to his second coming when he establishes his kingdom. In light of verse 27, verse 28 makes good sense of the idea of the “Son of Man coming in his kingdom.”

The big problem for this view is that Jesus says “there are some standing here who will not taste death until they see” this happen (16:28). The phrase “taste death” is an idiom that means to experience death (cf. John 8:52; Hebrews 2:9). Unless Jesus already came and everyone missed it, it’s safe to say that the disciples who heard Jesus say this did, in fact, taste death before Jesus’ second coming and the consummation of his kingdom.

At this point, some have said that Jesus got it wrong. They contend that Jesus thought he would return and consummate his kingdom within a few years, but he didn’t. As D. A. Carson notes, if Matthew thought this is what Jesus meant, then we would expect to see this idea throughout the Gospel, but instead, “The disciples’ mission is to continue to the end of the age (28:20).” Of course, more obviously, this view also assumes that Jesus could be wrong about something like this or that Matthew, as the author, would portray Jesus this way. This view is unacceptable, because it would require us to believe that Jesus could be wrong about his return and Matthew doesn’t portray Jesus this way in other places.

Some, however, don’t think Jesus was wrong, but that he still referred to his second coming. For example, the phrase “some who are standing here” could refer to the final generation, who are foreseen in a prophetic sense, not to those physically present with him. While this is technically possible, this kind of language feels a little clumsy and doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. Even though the first read of this passage may incline our initial thoughts to Jesus’ final coming, most commentators believe Jesus is referring to “an alternate manifestation of the kingdom that did occur within the lifetime of those first disciples.”

View #2: Resurrection and/or Pentecost
Others believe that Jesus is referring to his resurrection and/or Pentecost. This view has as an advantage in the fact that some of those standing there did witness the resurrection and Pentecost. Further, Jesus’ kingdom certainly did come in the victory and exaltation of his resurrection and in the pouring out of the Spirit. Though his kingdom was not consummated, its presence came with power in an “already-not yet” sense.

One significant problem with this view is that it doesn’t fit well with verse 27. Jesus says he will “come with his angels in the glory of his Father, and then he will repay each person according to what he has done.” In light of that, verse 28 seems to point to something beyond a fulfillment to an event that would happen in the near future.

View #3: Transfiguration
Another option that many commentators have gravitated toward is that Jesus is referring to his Transfiguration in Matthew 17:1-8. In the Transfiguration, Jesus is revealed in his full glory to Peter, James, and John, in which “his face shone like the sun, and his clothes became white as light” (17:2). This view best accounts for the phrase “some standing here” (16:28), which naturally refers to the three disciples. It also has a great advantage in that the Transfiguration story begins in the next verse (17:1). Moreover, this view has an ancient pedigree, being held by many church fathers.

Not only does the immediate and greater context support this position in Matthew, so too does Peter’s words in 2 Peter 1:16–18, which appear to be a reflection upon Jesus’ transfiguration.

Although this position has much strength, there are a few minor problems. While this view can explain the phrase “some who are standing here,” it seems to be complicated grammatically and Matthew uses a lot of words to explain something that seems simple. Besides, this seems to be an intense way for Jesus to refer to the three disciples standing in front of him. Another problem is that, even though Jesus is shown in great glory in Matthew 17, this view doesn’t seem to fully represent the meaning in the idea of Jesus “coming in his kingdom.” This is especially true in light of the verses coming before this phrase and other places in Matthew that portray his “coming” differently.

Conclusion
Since no view best captures the meaning of this verse, I think the best solution may be a combination of these views. It’s difficult to ignore the fact that the Transfiguration comes so closely on the heels of this verse. The “some standing here” naturally refers to the three disciples, Peter, James, and John. But, as already mentioned, it does not seem to do full justice to Jesus’ coming, especially in light of 16:27. What we probably have is something that is not at all uncommon in biblical prophecy, which is multiple fulfillments leading up to the final day. It may be that, as Craig Keener says, “Probably the transfiguration proleptically introduces the whole eschatological sphere, which Jesus’ resurrection inaugurates and his return consummates.” The Transfiguration could be seen as a proleptic or preliminary fulfillment of the second coming of Jesus to consummate his kingdom. A kingdom that was inaugurated with the resurrection of Jesus, the pouring out of the Holy Spirit, and the preaching of the gospel to the nations through his people.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can Someone Explain What Matthew 16:28 Means by Nobody: 3:59pm On Apr 12, 2013
ogeelove:

Tanx for the explanation but pls be patient with me if I seem slow in understanding. So I'll ask

1) when u say elect do u mean apostles and those Christ has chosen dead and alive?
2) when u say the new testament is for the elect, do u mean that the words in it are not meant for everyone?
3) Is it not the death of Christ and the belief in Jesus that reconciles one to GOD? Ephe 2:16
4) from ur summary, these elect will not experience a second death?
GOOD ANALOGY FOR YOU. I AM A MAN WITH 50 KIDS. I AM A BUSINESS MAN WHO WORKS IN JAPAN FOR 10 MONTHS OUT OF THE YEAR SO THAT I CANT PERSONALLY SUPERVISE ALL 50. HOWEVER OUT OF THOSE 50 I PICK ONLY 5 ( ISRAEL ) AND GIVE THE 5 ALL MY SECRETS ( THE LAW ) IN HOW TO RUN THE HOUSE, MY BANK ACCOUNT NUMBER, AND EVERYTHING THEY NEED TO RUN THE HOUSE AND KEEP THE OTHER 45 ( GENTILES ) IN CHECK SO THAT THEY DONT RUN RAMPANT. AND I LEAVE. AS SOON AS I LEAVE ALL 5 OF THEM ABANDON DUTY EXCEPT 2. SO THEREFORE THE HOUSE IS IN CHAOS. AND THE 2 ARE OVERPOWERED. THEY CANT DO NOTHING SO THEY ARE CRYING AND SIGHING ( EZEKIEL 9 VS 4 ). SO I RETURN AND SEE WHAT HAS HAPPENED. SO I DISOWN ALL 48 EXCEPT THE 2 ( THE ELECT ). SO NOW I AM WORKING WITH ONLY 2 RIGHTEOUS KIDS. AND I PROTECT MY 2 WHILE I LET THE 48 RUN RAMPANT AND KILL EACH OTHER IF THEY CHOOSE TO. SO NOW I AM NOT UNITED WITH ALL MY KIDS. FURTHER DOWN THE LINE IF I FEEL I WANT TO UNITE ALL 50 OF MY KIDS BACK TO ME AGAIN. SO I GET MY 2 KIDS WHO ARE NOT PERFECT THEMSELVES BUT THEY ARE BETTER THAN THE REST. AND I SAY OKAY I NEED YOU TO UNITE ALL MY KIDS BACK TO ME HOWEVER FOR YOU TO DO THIS YOU HAVE TO BE AS CRAFTY AS A SNAKE AND MAYBE IN THE PROCESS YOU MAY DO SOME THINGS THAT WOULD BE AGAINST MY LAWS SO THEREFORE THIS IS WHAT I WOULD DO FOR YOU. I FORGIVE YOU FOR ALL THE THINGS YOU HAVE DONE IN THE PAST ( GRACE ) AND I WILL PUT YOU ABOVE MY LAWS ( SEALED ) YOU ARE ABOVE ALL MY LAWS NOW. NOW GO AND UNITE MY KIDS BACK TO ME

AND THAT IN ESSENCE IS WHAT WENT ON. ONLY IN THE STORY I LEFT OUT THAT CHRIST HAD TO DIE TO FORGIVE THE SINS OF THE 2 AND TO SEAL THEM SO THEY ARE ABOVE ALL LAWS NOW. SO BACK TO YOUR QUESTIONS
1-YES THE APOSTLES AND THOSE WHO WERE CHOSEN. SOME ARE PHYSICALLY DEAD NOW WHILE SOME ARE PHYSICALLY ALIVE AS WE SPEAK ( REINCARNATION ).
2-YES THE WORDS IN IT ARE NOT MEANT FOR EVERYONE. IN THE STORY I PAINTED TO YOU, THE NEW TESTAMENT WOULD BE THE STORY OF HOW I PUT THE 2 ABOVE THE LAW ( SEALED ) AND FORGAVE THEM THEIR SINS ( GRACE ) SO THAT THEY CAN GO OUT AND UNITE ALL MY KIDS TO ME.

3-THE DEATH OF CHRIST RECONCILES THE WORLD TO GOD. WHAT RECONCILES YOU TO GOD IS THE LAW. 2 DIFFERENT THINGS

4-YES THE ELECT ARE NOT EXPERIENCING THE SECOND DEATH >> REVELATION 20 VS 6 Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years

1 Like

Re: Can Someone Explain What Matthew 16:28 Means by Nobody: 7:26pm On Apr 12, 2013
Sister dear, it has been on my mind to apologize to you for the "rebuke" I gave you for seeking my help. It is right that you do and we should, as much as necessary, help and receive help from one another on this journey. Please forgive me. I am at your service at any time you need me.

About your op, let me ask you, when do you think Jesus came/is coming in His Kingdom?

1 Like

Re: Can Someone Explain What Matthew 16:28 Means by FromGuiriga(m): 8:32pm On Apr 12, 2013
"Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice."
Remember, the voice of the Christ is that of the father.
Jesus was addressing the spirit of those men. Just as the spirit of of John was that of Elijah. Spirits cannot manifest without a flesh in this world.

The Christ is a spirit of the father, "the son of his love" that came into the world as any other man. His name in this world was Jesus/Yahosua, born in Bethlehem, some people say he is God and so on...you know the story.

But don't take my words for it. Check out what Jesus said: John 18:36 "...Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence..."

Hope this helps.
Re: Can Someone Explain What Matthew 16:28 Means by ogeelove(f): 9:44am On Apr 13, 2013
JeSoul: Ogeelove, sister how body now? Per the topic, check out this link. There are several theories out there as to possible explanations. A bit long, but quite thorough & detailed. Godbless!

Tanx sis for the link. I guess one might never know what the real deal is. I sometimes wonder that if GOD truly speaks to people as some claim he does to them, he surely would have revealed an answer to this riddle for it is one to me. I think it is an important aspect in the bible and 2000 years after the death of Christ non still has an infallible answer. These are my tots and are not intended to smear anyone.

Also, I watched a documentary on pbs america called from Jesus to Christ and it talked on the authorship of matthew and how it was written for a Jewish community, the time it was written , how references were drawn from mark, how it might not be an eye witness account. It got me thinking DAT maybe just maybe the author of Matthew misquoted Jesus. As we all know a 3rd party account can never be the same as an eye witness account. I am open to all suggestions.
Re: Can Someone Explain What Matthew 16:28 Means by Ubenedictus(m): 9:52am On Apr 13, 2013
obadiah777: like i always tell people, the new testament is a book for the elect. its about how the elect unified the world both jew and gentile back to christ and these are whom christ died for so as to be able to accomplish this feat. and the rest of the new testament is letters back and for th between the elect. with that backdrop of that verse being established lets get to the verse itself

this wasn't bad

1 Like

Re: Can Someone Explain What Matthew 16:28 Means by Nobody: 10:19am On Apr 13, 2013
Ubenedictus: this wasn't bad
THANKS UBE. LONG TIME BRUV
Re: Can Someone Explain What Matthew 16:28 Means by Nobody: 10:31am On Apr 13, 2013
ogeelove:

Tanx sis for the link. I guess one might never know what the real deal is. I sometimes wonder that if GOD truly speaks to people as some claim he does to them, he surely would have revealed an answer to this riddle for it is one to me. I think it is an important aspect in the bible and 2000 years after the death of Christ non still has an infallible answer. These are my tots and are not intended to smear anyone.

Also, I watched a documentary on pbs america called from Jesus to Christ and it talked on the authorship of matthew and how it was written for a Jewish community, the time it was written , how references were drawn from mark, how it might not be an eye witness account. It got me thinking DAT maybe just maybe the author of Matthew misquoted Jesus. As we all know a 3rd party account can never be the same as an eye witness account. I am open to all suggestions.

Sister, it's not wise to get into all the Matthew referenced Mark, might have misquoted Jesus etc.

I realize that I only returned your question to you. But I actually put in a hint to help you some. Consider these words:

All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth

in addition to the numerous proclamations by the apostles that Jesus was made Lord of all things upon His Resurrection.

I agree with the article JeSoul posted where it points out that the Kingdom has not been fully realized in the sense that there is still some rebellion against it, but in fact Jesus has come into it already. He is already Lord. He is already King. The work of the Gospel is to declare this. And He came into His Kingdom when He rose from the dead.

Consider this possibility: that Jesus was talking of coming some day at the end of time to judge all men in v.27. Obviously, none of those there then expected to be around to see the end of the world. There might have been the tendency to think, 'how we wan take know?'

Perhaps Jesus to strengthen their faith and encourage them, He smiles and says, 'some of you will live to see the evidence of this very future event: you will see me come as King before you die.'

And when He conquers Death and the Grave, a bunch of them do see Him and confirm that He has been made King. This assures them that someday He really will come with His Angels and judge the world.

Of course, all I have done is paint a mental picture to help you along. It may not have happened like I just described. The important thing is that people who were standing with the Lord there did see Him return to them as a King when He should have stayed dead. And that is enough for now.

Some day, we will understand it all, but today, we must be careful to be faithful to the light that we have received. It is failing to live in that that leads us to start breaking Scriptures. Matthew wrote under the unction. If the Lord allowed him to "make mistakes", then we must show our confidence in the Lord's Wisdom by accepting these "mistakes" as Scripture as well.

The truth is that there is a way in which such Scriptures make sense and edify us, even if there is a lot more to it than we can see immediately. It is for that little sense that it makes to us that God holds us responsible. And in the case, we need not go as far as some of us on this thread have gone to make sense of this verse. Jesus came in His Kingdom when He rose from the dead and some of those who heard Him here saw Him before He ascended to sit at the Father's right hand. From there, He will come again in full power to judge everyone.

Do not let yourself be beguiled into breaking Scriptures when you have difficulty understanding, dear sis.

Grace be with you.
Re: Can Someone Explain What Matthew 16:28 Means by ogeelove(f): 11:11am On Apr 13, 2013
obadiah777: GOOD ANALOGY FOR YOU. I AM A MAN WITH 50 KIDS. I AM A BUSINESS MAN WHO WORKS IN JAPAN FOR 10 MONTHS OUT OF THE YEAR SO THAT I CANT PERSONALLY SUPERVISE ALL 50. HOWEVER OUT OF THOSE 50 I PICK ONLY 5 ( ISRAEL ) AND GIVE THE 5 ALL MY SECRETS ( THE LAW ) IN HOW TO RUN THE HOUSE, MY BANK ACCOUNT NUMBER, AND EVERYTHING THEY NEED TO RUN THE HOUSE AND KEEP THE OTHER 45 ( GENTILES ) IN CHECK SO THAT THEY DONT RUN RAMPANT. AND I LEAVE. AS SOON AS I LEAVE ALL 5 OF THEM ABANDON DUTY EXCEPT 2. SO THEREFORE THE HOUSE IS IN CHAOS. AND THE 2 ARE OVERPOWERED. THEY CANT DO NOTHING SO THEY ARE CRYING AND SIGHING ( EZEKIEL 9 VS 4 ). SO I RETURN AND SEE WHAT HAS HAPPENED. SO I DISOWN ALL 48 EXCEPT THE 2 ( THE ELECT ). SO NOW I AM WORKING WITH ONLY 2 RIGHTEOUS KIDS. AND I PROTECT MY 2 WHILE I LET THE 48 RUN RAMPANT AND KILL EACH OTHER IF THEY CHOOSE TO. SO NOW I AM NOT UNITED WITH ALL MY KIDS. FURTHER DOWN THE LINE IF I FEEL I WANT TO UNITE ALL 50 OF MY KIDS BACK TO ME AGAIN. SO I GET MY 2 KIDS WHO ARE NOT PERFECT THEMSELVES BUT THEY ARE BETTER THAN THE REST. AND I SAY OKAY I NEED YOU TO UNITE ALL MY KIDS BACK TO ME HOWEVER FOR YOU TO DO THIS YOU HAVE TO BE AS CRAFTY AS A SNAKE AND MAYBE IN THE PROCESS YOU MAY DO SOME THINGS THAT WOULD BE AGAINST MY LAWS SO THEREFORE THIS IS WHAT I WOULD DO FOR YOU. I FORGIVE YOU FOR ALL THE THINGS YOU HAVE DONE IN THE PAST ( GRACE ) AND I WILL PUT YOU ABOVE MY LAWS ( SEALED ) YOU ARE ABOVE ALL MY LAWS NOW. NOW GO AND UNITE MY KIDS BACK TO ME

AND THAT IN ESSENCE IS WHAT WENT ON. ONLY IN THE STORY I LEFT OUT THAT CHRIST HAD TO DIE TO FORGIVE THE SINS OF THE 2 AND TO SEAL THEM SO THEY ARE ABOVE ALL LAWS NOW. SO BACK TO YOUR QUESTIONS

1-YES THE APOSTLES AND THOSE WHO WERE CHOSEN. SOME ARE PHYSICALLY DEAD NOW WHILE SOME ARE PHYSICALLY ALIVE AS WE SPEAK ( REINCARNATION ).

I tot as a christian I shouldn't believe in reincarnation.

2-YES THE WORDS IN IT ARE NOT MEANT FOR EVERYONE. IN THE STORY I PAINTED TO YOU, THE NEW TESTAMENT WOULD BE THE STORY OF HOW I PUT THE 2 ABOVE THE LAW ( SEALED ) AND FORGAVE THEM THEIR SINS ( GRACE ) SO THAT THEY CAN GO OUT AND UNITE ALL MY KIDS TO ME.

3-THE DEATH OF CHRIST RECONCILES THE WORLD TO GOD. WHAT RECONCILES YOU TO GOD IS THE LAW. 2 DIFFERENT THINGS

4-YES THE ELECT ARE NOT EXPERIENCING THE SECOND DEATH >> REVELATION 20 VS 6 Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years

just couldn't stop laffing. Lots of luv for taking the time.

1) I tot as a christian I shouldn't believe in reincarnation.

2)I see ur point. The books and epistles in the new testament were written to an immediate audience but surely it must apply to Christians in all ages 2 timothy 3:16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness. Or are we not to be saved?

3) U lost me here. Can u explain this law? U've just said that the death of Christ reconciles the world to GOD. I am part of the world so his death reconciles me to GOD if I believe in him.

4) R u saying that non in this age will partake in his second coming, Only the elect? What hope is there for us then. What happens after we die?

Pls bear with me asking loads of questions. If my questions seem disjointed it is becos i do not know how to edit and paste on nairaland. Hope to get the hang of it soon.
Re: Can Someone Explain What Matthew 16:28 Means by Nobody: 11:21am On Apr 13, 2013
ogeelove: .

R u saying that non in this age will partake in his second coming, Only the elect? What hope is there for us then.

Pls bear with me asking loads of questions
NOPE NOT WHAT I AM SAYING. I AM SAYING THEY ARE THE ONLY ONES WHOSE SINS GOT PARDONED. THE REST OF US HAVE TO WORK OUT OUR SALVATION WITH FEAR AND TREMBLING. JUST HOW IN THE WORLD TODAY WE HAVE GOVERNMENTS BODIES IN ALL THE COUNTRIES IN THE WORLD ? HOW MANY COUNTRIES ARE IN THE WORLD ? THERE ARE 196 COUNTRIES IN THE WORLD. EACH COUNTRY HAS ITS GOVT BODY, THEN STATE GOVT, THEN LOCAL GOVT THEN SENATORS THEN LAWYERS ETC ETC. SO LET ME THROW OUT A NUMBER FOR EACH COUNTRY FOR THE NUMBER OF RULERS. LETS SAY EACH 196 COUNTRY HAS 1000 RULERS. THIS IS LIKE 196,000 RULERS IN THE WORLD.

WELL THE LORD HAS HIS RULERS WHO WOULD RULE HIS KINGDOM WHEN ESTABLISHED AND THESE WERE CHOSEN BY RIGHTEOUSNESS. THEY ARE 144,000. NO VOTING, NO ELECTION, NO CHANGE OF GOVT AFTER 4 YEARS. THESE WOULD BE THE RULERS OF THE WHOLE WORLD FOREVER. THESE ARE THE ELECT. THATS WHY HE PARDONED THEIR SINS AS WELL AS BECAUSE THEY NEEDED TO PUT THE NEW TESTAMENT TOGETHER TO UNITE THE WORLD TO GOD.
Re: Can Someone Explain What Matthew 16:28 Means by ogeelove(f): 11:39am On Apr 13, 2013
obadiah777: NOPE NOT WHAT I AM SAYING. I AM SAYING THEY ARE THE ONLY ONES WHOSE SINS GOT PARDONED. THE REST OF US HAVE TO WORK OUT OUR SALVATION WITH FEAR AND TREMBLING. JUST HOW IN THE WORLD TODAY WE HAVE GOVERNMENTS BODIES IN ALL THE COUNTRIES IN THE WORLD ? HOW MANY COUNTRIES ARE IN THE WORLD ? THERE ARE 196 COUNTRIES IN THE WORLD. EACH COUNTRY HAS ITS GOVT BODY, THEN STATE GOVT, THEN LOCAL GOVT THEN SENATORS THEN LAWYERS ETC ETC. SO LET ME THROW OUT A NUMBER FOR EACH COUNTRY FOR THE NUMBER OF RULERS. LETS SAY EACH 196 COUNTRY HAS 1000 RULERS. THIS IS LIKE 196,000 RULERS IN THE WORLD.

WELL THE LORD HAS HIS RULERS WHO WOULD RULE HIS KINGDOM WHEN ESTABLISHED AND THESE WERE CHOSEN BY RIGHTEOUSNESS. THEY ARE 144,000. NO VOTING, NO ELECTION, NO CHANGE OF GOVT AFTER 4 YEARS. THESE WOULD BE THE RULERS OF THE WHOLE WORLD FOREVER. THESE ARE THE ELECT. THATS WHY HE PARDONED THEIR SINS AS WELL AS BECAUSE THEY NEEDED TO PUT THE NEW TESTAMENT TOGETHER TO UNITE THE WORLD TO GOD.

Sorry was editing the former post
Re: Can Someone Explain What Matthew 16:28 Means by ogeelove(f): 12:54pm On Apr 13, 2013
Ihedinobi:

Sister, it's not wise to get into all the Matthew referenced Mark, might have misquoted Jesus etc.

I realize that I only returned your question to you. But I actually put in a hint to help you some. Consider these words:

All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth

in addition to the numerous proclamations by the apostles that Jesus was made Lord of all things upon His Resurrection.

I agree with the article JeSoul posted where it points out that the Kingdom has not been fully realized in the sense that there is still some rebellion against it, but in fact Jesus has come into it already. He is already Lord. He is already King. The work of the Gospel is to declare this. And He came into His Kingdom when He rose from the dead.

Consider this possibility: that Jesus was talking of coming some day at the end of time to judge all men in v.27. Obviously, none of those there then expected to be around to see the end of the world. There might have been the tendency to think, 'how we wan take know?'

Perhaps Jesus to strengthen their faith and encourage them, He smiles and says, 'some of you will live to see the evidence of this very future event: you will see me come as King before you die.'

And when He conquers Death and the Grave, a bunch of them do see Him and confirm that He has been made King. This assures them that someday He really will come with His Angels and judge the world.

Of course, all I have done is paint a mental picture to help you along. It may not have happened like I just described. The important thing is that people who were standing with the Lord there did see Him return to them as a King when He should have stayed dead. And that is enough for now.

Some day, we will understand it all, but today, we must be careful to be faithful to the light that we have received. It is failing to live in that that leads us to start breaking Scriptures. Matthew wrote under the unction. If the Lord allowed him to "make mistakes", then we must show our confidence in the Lord's Wisdom by accepting these "mistakes" as Scripture as well.

The truth is that there is a way in which such Scriptures make sense and edify us, even if there is a lot more to it than we can see immediately. It is for that little sense that it makes to us that God holds us responsible. And in the case, we need not go as far as some of us on this thread have gone to make sense of this verse. Jesus came in His Kingdom when He rose from the dead and some of those who heard Him here saw Him before He ascended to sit at the Father's right hand. From there, He will come again in full power to judge everyone.

Do not let yourself be beguiled into breaking Scriptures when you have difficulty understanding, dear sis.

Grace be with you.

I did say in my post to Jesoul that those were my tots, my mullings and that I am open to suggestions. Apologies accepted. In my response to Obadiah, I referenced 2 timothy 3:16 which negates my tots on matthew. Tanx for the input. Shalom.
Re: Can Someone Explain What Matthew 16:28 Means by Image123(m): 12:56am On Apr 14, 2013

Nothing wrong with the Transfiguration.
Mat 16:28 Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.
Mar 9:1 And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power.
Luk 9:27 But I tell you of a truth, there be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the kingdom of God.
2Pe 1:16 For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you [size=13pt]the power and coming of our Lord[/size] Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty.
2Pe 1:17 For [size=13pt]he received[/size] from God the Father [size=13pt]honor and glory[/size], when there came such a voice to him from the excellent glory, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.
2Pe 1:18 And this voice which came from heaven we heard, when we were with him in the holy mount.
Luk 9:32 But Peter and they that were with him were heavy with sleep: and when they were awake, [size=13pt]they saw his glory[/size], and the two men that stood with him.

Remember the clause given, there be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see
The 'éisegesis' in that quote(JeSoul's) around the conclusion skips/erases this clause.
Re: Can Someone Explain What Matthew 16:28 Means by esere826: 10:59am On Apr 14, 2013
ogeelove: In Matthew 16:28 Jesus says "I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom." Does the transfiguration in chapter 17 explain it? Is it a second coming? If not, can u explain it in clear words?

John saw the Christ coming before he tasted death
That is why John wrote the book of Revelations
Re: Can Someone Explain What Matthew 16:28 Means by Nobody: 10:33pm On Feb 05, 2022
esere826:

John saw the Christ coming before he tasted death
That is why John wrote the book of Revelations

That’s a different John.
Re: Can Someone Explain What Matthew 16:28 Means by CaptMarvel(m): 11:11pm On Feb 05, 2022
maynia:

That’s a different John.
how do you mean? Desame John the brother of James the apostle and both of them disciples of Christ, he wrote the book of revelation.
Re: Can Someone Explain What Matthew 16:28 Means by paxonel(m): 11:20pm On Feb 05, 2022
ogeelove:
In Matthew 16:28 Jesus says "I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom." Does the transfiguration in chapter 17 explain it? Is it a second coming? If not, can u explain it in clear words?
it simply means that few of the disciples who followed Christ before he was crucified, saw the kingdom.
The book of act 1:15 recorded that they were 120 disciples out of the over 5000 disciples who followed Christ.
Few out of the multitude
Re: Can Someone Explain What Matthew 16:28 Means by Nobody: 11:29pm On Feb 05, 2022
CaptMarvel:
how do you mean? Desame John the brother of James the apostle and both of them disciples of Christ, he wrote the book of revelation.

Can you show me where you got this?

(1) (Reply)

Atheists,Pagans, Agnostics and Deists, How Will You Be Buried. / Celestial Church Of Christ Hymns (cccmyhymns) Now On Android With Pictures! / For Intelligent Mind Only. [God Created The Universe Or Universe Created God]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.