Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,156 members, 7,825,613 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 06:48 PM

Nigerian American Sailor Arrested For Armed Robbery - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian American Sailor Arrested For Armed Robbery (2222 Views)

"Buhari's Administration Is Spending Money Like A Drunken Sailor"- Fani-Kayode / Buhari Pays Hospital Bill For Armed Robbery Victim (Photos) / Nigerian-american Professionals Endorse Jonathan For Second Term (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian American Sailor Arrested For Armed Robbery by Needlelady(f): 1:51am On Apr 08, 2008
US. sailor heard voice in head telling him to stab someone, lawyer says

Lawyer Yasutoshi Murakami appears at a news conference in Kanagawa Prefecture on Friday following his meeting with Ugbogu.YOKOHAMA -- A US. sailor arrested on suspicion of robbery and murder following the fatal stabbing of a taxi driver here said he heard a voice in his head telling him to stab someone, his lawyer said Friday.

Testimony from the 22-year-old sailor, Olatunbosun Ugbogu, a Nigerian national serving as a crew member aboard the USS Cowpens, was read out by lawyer Yasutoshi Murakami at a news conference at the Kanagawa Prefectural Government headquarters on Friday.

Murakami quoted Ugbogu as saying there had been no money troubles between him and 61-year-old taxi driver Masaaki Takahashi, who was murdered in his cab in Yokosuka on March 19.

Responding to a request from the US. Navy, Murakami held a two-hour interview with Ugbogu at the Kanagawa Prefectural Police headquarters on Thursday evening, and received a statement of facts.

Ugbogu reportedly apologized for the murder, saying he regretted what he had done.

According to the statement of facts and the interview, Ugbogu admitted having stabbed Takahashi in the shoulder. When questioned over the motives for the attack, he reportedly said that on the day of the murder, he heard a voice in his head telling him to stab someone, and he went outside looking for someone to attack. However, since it was raining there was no-one around, so the voice told him to get in the taxi, his lawyer quoted him as saying. Ugbogu reportedly said he heard the voice telling him to stab someone again when he actually attacked the driver.

[img]http://mdn.mainichi.jp/national/news/images/20080403p2a00m0na033000p_size5.jpg[/img]

http://mdn.mainichi.jp/national/news/20080403p2a00m0na031000c.html
http://mdn.mainichi.jp/national/news/20080404p2a00m0na004000c.html
Re: Nigerian American Sailor Arrested For Armed Robbery by Needlelady(f): 1:53am On Apr 08, 2008
Why must they attach Nigerian to his name when he is already an American? Will the media do same if he wins a gold medal at the olympics?
Re: Nigerian American Sailor Arrested For Armed Robbery by Kobojunkie: 1:54am On Apr 08, 2008
Needlelady:

Why must they attach Nigerian to his name when he is already an American? Will the media do same if he wins a gold medal at the olympics?

Because he probably is a Nigerian and not really an American LMAO!!

Olatunbosun Ugbogu, 22, a Nigerian national serving as an able seaman with the United States Navy, was arrested for robbery and murder.
Ugbogu admits to the allegations.
http://mdn.mainichi.jp/national/news/20080403p2a00m0na031000c.html
Re: Nigerian American Sailor Arrested For Armed Robbery by Needlelady(f): 1:56am On Apr 08, 2008
Because he probably is a Nigerian and not really an American LMAO!!
You always run out from nowhere to support the west. How is he Nigerian? He is in the US army as acitizen
Re: Nigerian American Sailor Arrested For Armed Robbery by Kobojunkie: 1:59am On Apr 08, 2008
Needlelady:

You always run out from nowhere to support the west. How is he Nigerian? He is in the US army as acitizen

How did you get this information?? From the very articles you posted, he is addressed as being a Nigerian national working with the US Navy, how do you know he is a US citizen I am not for supporting the west but for supporting common sense. I like to stand up for what I believe and agree with, whether people like you like to attach "WEST" to it or not.
Re: Nigerian American Sailor Arrested For Armed Robbery by Needlelady(f): 2:02am On Apr 08, 2008
Once again, will they report him as a Nigerian if he wins a Nobel Prize as an American?
Re: Nigerian American Sailor Arrested For Armed Robbery by Kobojunkie: 2:03am On Apr 08, 2008
Needlelady:

Once again, will they report him as a Nigerian if he wins a Nobel Prize as an American?

LOOOK!!! You do not just make things up. There are people in service who are not americans and they are allowed to serve with the army. We do not know in this case yet if the man is actually a US citizen, well, I am yet to find any particular place where that is stated, so why the fuzz
Re: Nigerian American Sailor Arrested For Armed Robbery by Needlelady(f): 2:06am On Apr 08, 2008
LOOOK!!! You do not just make things up. There are people in service who are not americans and they are allowed to serve with the army. We do not know in this case yet if the man is actually a US citizen, well, I am yet to find any particular place where that is stated, so why the fuzz
Whateva! do you blame me, Nigerian this, Nigerian that, sheeesh. The boy looks like he is from Uganda or Lousiana sef
Re: Nigerian American Sailor Arrested For Armed Robbery by Kobojunkie: 2:09am On Apr 08, 2008
Needlelady:

Whateva! do you blame me, Nigerian this, Nigerian that, sheeesh.

Yeah right!!! Like 99% of the accusations don't turn out to be true LMAO!!!!!!  I have to say that I am shocked that a Nigerian is involved in this sort of thing and dude actually opened his mouth to say he did it ( big mistake). He should have shut up and allowed america to play the game it knows to play well, on his behalf. LMAO
May the soul of the victim rest in peace. I am shocked that Nigerian is involved in this sort of case. Murder by a Nigerian is close to unheard of outside of Nigeria.
Re: Nigerian American Sailor Arrested For Armed Robbery by TheSly: 2:10am On Apr 08, 2008
There is a saying that goes by. .
If a child exhibits a bad behavior. . .they would say he/she inherited it from his/her mother
. . . . .And if (he/she) exhibits a good one as well. .They would say (he/she) inherited it from his/her father!

Thats the case here. . so many Nigerians in America are doing great thing but anytime something goes wrong. . .
They would raise alarm that he is a Nigerian regardless of the fact that he/shes a citizen or not!!. . .thats the American way wink
Re: Nigerian American Sailor Arrested For Armed Robbery by Needlelady(f): 2:11am On Apr 08, 2008
Yeah right!!! Like 99% of the accusations don't turn out to be true LMAO!!!!!!  I have to say that I am shocked that a Nigerian is involved in this sort of thing and dude actually opened his mouth to say he did it ( big mistake). He should have shut up and allowed america to play the game it knows to play well, on his behalf. LMAO

You see, you are indiorectly calling us Nigerians crooks but here you are advising the few truthful ones to lie.
Re: Nigerian American Sailor Arrested For Armed Robbery by Needlelady(f): 2:13am On Apr 08, 2008
Thats the case here. . so many Nigerians in America are doing great thing but anytime something goes wrong. . .
They would raise alarm that he is a Nigerian regardless of the fact that he/shes a citizen or not!!. . .thats the American way

Thank you sweet heart. I still think he's from either Uganda or Kenya because he's too dark to be Nigerian.
Re: Nigerian American Sailor Arrested For Armed Robbery by Kobojunkie: 2:13am On Apr 08, 2008
Needlelady:

You see, you are indiorectly calling us Nigerians crooks but here you are advising the few truthful ones to lie.

Abegi!!!!! LMAO!!!! Oh Now I am evil for looking out for a brother? ?? GREAT!!!! I can never do good by you, right?? LMAO!!!!

Needlelady:

Thank you sweet heart. I still think he's from either Uganda or Kenya because he's too dark to be Nigerian.

yeah, you being RACIST and pinning him on some other country is better than them stating that he is a Nigerian in the US navy or is it marine. NiCE ON!!
Re: Nigerian American Sailor Arrested For Armed Robbery by spoilt(f): 2:14am On Apr 08, 2008
what kind of name is olatubosun ugbogu? sounds so fake. fake visa perhaps?
Re: Nigerian American Sailor Arrested For Armed Robbery by Kobojunkie: 2:17am On Apr 08, 2008
spoilt:

what kind of name is olatubosun ugbogu? sounds so fake. fake visa perhaps?

He may have actually been one of those who applied directly from Nigeria to join the US navy or maybe he came on US Green lottery or something. Usually people change their names to some fancy English name when looking for visa.
Re: Nigerian American Sailor Arrested For Armed Robbery by Needlelady(f): 2:17am On Apr 08, 2008
He's from Kenya or Sudan jare.
Re: Nigerian American Sailor Arrested For Armed Robbery by TheSly: 2:20am On Apr 08, 2008
what kind of name is olatubosun ugbogu?
Olatubosun. . .(A yoruba name) ugbogu (Igbo name).
Re: Nigerian American Sailor Arrested For Armed Robbery by spoilt(f): 2:21am On Apr 08, 2008
which igbo man will name his son olatubosun?  grin grin
Re: Nigerian American Sailor Arrested For Armed Robbery by Needlelady(f): 2:23am On Apr 08, 2008
Abegi!!!!! LMAO!!!! Oh Now I am evil for looking out for a brother? ?? GREAT!!!! I can never do good by you, right?? LMAO!!!!
Is that how you look out for a brother? you are so wierd!!!
Re: Nigerian American Sailor Arrested For Armed Robbery by TheSly: 2:24am On Apr 08, 2008
which igbo man will give his son olatubosun?
Perhaps. . .his mum could be a Yoruba woman while his dad could be an IGBO man. . . . . wink
Re: Nigerian American Sailor Arrested For Armed Robbery by Kobojunkie: 2:27am On Apr 08, 2008
Needlelady:

Is that how you look out for a brother? you are so wierd!!!

I don't know where you live but if OJ Simpson could be walking around today, there may have been hope for this 22 year old if he had just learnt to plead the fifth. I mean in the end, Japan and America will have to deal. Don't get me wrong, I am for the death penalty for murderers and I think if guilty, they should be made to pay but I am also compassionate on the other side and if I have advice on how he can postpone it a bit, I will give it. grin LMAO!!!
Re: Nigerian American Sailor Arrested For Armed Robbery by Needlelady(f): 2:32am On Apr 08, 2008
I don't know where you live but if OJ Simpson could be walking around today, there may have been hope for this 22 year old if he had just learnt to plead the fifth. I mean in the end, Japan and America will have to deal. Don't get me wrong, I am for the death penalty for murderers and I think if guilty, they should be made to pay but I am also compassionate on the other side and if I have advice on how he can postpone it a bit, I will give it. LMAO!!!
Plead the fifth? set him free and turn him over to unsuspecting Nigerians? we have enough wahala at home abeg and do not want those that will be terrorizing taxi drivers in lagos.
Re: Nigerian American Sailor Arrested For Armed Robbery by Kobojunkie: 2:34am On Apr 08, 2008
Needlelady:

Plead the fifth? set him free and turn him over to unsuspecting Nigerians? we have enough wahala at home abeg and do not want those that will be terrorizing taxi drivers in lagos.

No, plead the fifth as in he should not have confessed to the Japanese people as he did. He should have made sure he consulted his lawyers ( sure the US navy would have gotten him one for such). OH Now you are AFRAID of him being turned over to unsuspecting Nigerians?? Now you accept that Nigeria has issues and so this may be just one more of those issues?? LMAO!!!!
Re: Nigerian American Sailor Arrested For Armed Robbery by spoilt(f): 2:36am On Apr 08, 2008
his lawyers have apparently asked him to plead insanity. a voice in his head?? Ha! grin
Re: Nigerian American Sailor Arrested For Armed Robbery by Needlelady(f): 2:40am On Apr 08, 2008
OH Now you are AFRAID of him being turned over to unsuspecting Nigerians?? Now you accept that Nigeria has issues and so this may be just one more of those issues?? LMAO!!!!
Which issues?Many non Nigerians are being deported daily to Nigeria and this one with a questionable nationality may be one of them. Why should you allow them to dump criminals for you?
Re: Nigerian American Sailor Arrested For Armed Robbery by Kobojunkie: 2:40am On Apr 08, 2008
spoilt:

his lawyers have apparently asked him to plead insanity. a voice in his head?? Ha! grin

If you ask me that could potentially be a good move IF the man was an american but you know us Nigerians, acting is not one of our strengths. I mean imagine a yoruba man trying to act schitzophrenic, the jury might send him straight from the court to the electric chair for RIDICULOUSLY lame impersonation of a sick person, LMAO!!
Re: Nigerian American Sailor Arrested For Armed Robbery by spoilt(f): 2:46am On Apr 08, 2008
Kobojunkie:

If you ask me that could potentially be a good move IF the man was an american but you know us Nigerians, acting is not one of our strengths. I mean imagine a yoruba man trying to act schitzophrenic, the jury might send him straight from the court to the electric chair for RIDICULOUSLY lame impersonation of a sick person, LMAO!!

that's hecka funny. Our bad acting is legendary but if he starts murmuring yoruba and igbo incoherently to himself they just might buy it. Eating buggers from his nose in the courtroom might help too. grin
Re: Nigerian American Sailor Arrested For Armed Robbery by Kobojunkie: 2:46am On Apr 08, 2008
Needlelady:

Which issues?Many non Nigerians are being deported daily to Nigeria and this one with a questionable nationality may be one of them. Why should you allow them to dump criminals for you?

You seem to be the only one here questioning his nationality. There have been many Nigerian born people in the army who have committed crimes in the past. Those who are citizens of the USA are mostly addressed appropriately. Chances are high that this particular man is not. Even the new york times and most all the links on the news list him as a Nigerian citizen and not a US citizen. You having issues with it has nothing to do with his nationality. By the way, if you have not noticed, 99% of the times, criminals are not dumped on us. We actually have millions of Nigerians world wide who continue to make it their place to create a bad image for Nigeria and the millions more Nigerians out there who are model citizens. It is not really anyone else's fault. I mean we have had governors who go out to commit crimes and then come back to resume their work as governors. We have had some really evil presidents in our not so distant past who have been involved in shady deals and basked in protection they have so far continued to enjoy in Nigeria. Why is it suddenly evil when you read of a Nigerian involved in a murder case??
Re: Nigerian American Sailor Arrested For Armed Robbery by Needlelady(f): 2:50am On Apr 08, 2008
Why is it suddenly evil when you read of a Nigerian involved in a murder case??
Whateva! who knows, he may be innocent afterall there is no telling on how they tortured him to accept the inevitable. Is he not a black man?, black as a monkey for that matter.
Re: Nigerian American Sailor Arrested For Armed Robbery by Kobojunkie: 2:55am On Apr 08, 2008
Needlelady:

Whateva! who knows, he may be innocent afterall there is no telling on how they tortured him to accept the inevitable. Is he not a black man?, black as a monkey for that matter.

So in essence, you are saying that because he is a black man, He is too stupid to use his brain and to know not to cop to what he did not do no matter what situation he finds himself in? He is invariably dumb as a consequence of his being black?? Chai!!!! Walahi!!! Oh my GOSH!!!!
Re: Nigerian American Sailor Arrested For Armed Robbery by spoilt(f): 2:57am On Apr 08, 2008
I don't think its because he is nigerian that they are covering the story the way they are. It doesnt matter what nationality you are, a murder case is always huge. Is it everyday that people stab taxi drivers in the shoulder and claim voices were whispering to them?  undecided
Re: Nigerian American Sailor Arrested For Armed Robbery by Kobojunkie: 3:05am On Apr 08, 2008
spoilt:

I don't think its because he is nigerian that they are covering the story the way they are. It doesnt matter what nationality you are, a murder case is always huge. Is it everyday that people stab taxi drivers in the shoulder and claim voices were whispering to them? undecided

No mind am, If it had happened in the USA, chances are she would not have heard of it actually. I remember a case some years ago that failed to make the news as much as I think it should have. Some Nigerian dude in Texas took a cutlass to his wife of some years. He butchered the woman and I bet needlelady did not hear of that one. LMAO!!Even if she had, she would have still found a way to deny he was a Nigeria. I mean even with the MO (attacking another with cutlass which we know is Nigerian trademark).LMAO!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Phrank Shaibu Plagiarised My Grammar Column - Farooq Kperogi / President Mugabe's Speech At The 67th UN General Assembly / Lets Just Admit The Truth About Wole Soyinka

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.