Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,857 members, 7,810,286 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:32 AM

Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? - Religion (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? (22944 Views)

Poll: Do you speak in tongues?

Yes: 39% (40 votes)
No: 54% (56 votes)
Previously: 5% (6 votes)
This poll has ended

Are You Fully Conscious When Speaking In Tongues? / Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them / Speaking In Tongues Medical Study Proves Holy Spirit Praying (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by Jenna1(f): 6:38pm On Feb 07, 2010
You can write long entries, type big, use color, don't mean a hill of beans. If you have to go to such extremes it seems to me you are trying to convince yourself rather than me. My postion is unwavering, it's still a crock. Like many a Christian, just another load of bull. No man's life is worth more or means more because of that nonsence. Everyone is blessed with talents(talents, not lunicy), go feed the hungry cause the shackle lackas don't help anything except your own ego!! You need that self assurace of being chosen.

I don't speak bird but if I saw one squwaking I'd know it was hungry or needed help, I feel the same of humans,lol!!! You simply don't understand!! You are hungry for God and attention, you do indeed need help to understand!
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by AbuZola3(m): 7:41pm On Feb 07, 2010
Thank u jenna.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by reblica: 7:52pm On Jun 05, 2010
This is long, but, it's a testimony RE: What's That All About?

I was raised as a conservative Christian where "speaking in tongues" was deemed emotional blah-blah, or some demonic episode, etc,,  I have been more open minded as an adult, studying the Bible, alone, and much more frequently.  Didn't go to church for several years.  Went to a few eventually, avoiding some~such as "charismatic", for the most part, even though still open minded.  Just didn't want to walk in to a church w/ppl jumping over pews, rolling on the floor, babbling all over the place, (get my drift:?).  Went to a particular church (only bcause daughters "guy-friend" went there)~one of those kind of churches I was avoiding.  Was pleasantly surprised to find they believed in the indwelling Power of the Spirit, but NO nonsense was demonstrated, so I continued to go. I knew, from occasional comments, that they believed in "speaking of tongues".  After attending for over 2yrs., the preacher gave a lesson on it.  The following Sunday, after service, he asked those of us who wanted to, could receive the "filling" of the Holy Spirit.  I'd studied a bit on it during that week, and pretty much had my self talked out of it.  Not that I didn't believe it possible, just, well, don't know??~~My curious agnostic daughter "reminded" me that I had considered this opportunity during the week.  How could I not follow through for her sake?  I joined several others, kindof reluctantly. I had spent 2yrs, on my own, studying the Bible from start to finish, well almost, I still had a few books left in NT.  I asked a LOT of questions, along w/others, b4 "these ppl" proceeded.  I have to admit, I was curious, but just unsure about this thing I'd always been taught against.  And ofcourse, I was somewhat anxious of the unkown.

Maybe 40 of us went into a room w/3-4 ppl that prayed over each one of us individually, as they layed their hands on our heads.  Ppl did begin to "babble".  I was obviously still anxious, but was thinking, "they've PLANTED ppl in here to get the rest of us PREPPED for the experience".  This older, sweet lady (i always thought she was a sweet, quiet, sophisticated lady~just by observation), put her hands very gently around my head and was speaking over me, "in tongues".  Nothing happened, atleast until after she went on to the next person. 

I was 46yrs old, in control of my life, my body, my finances, my kids, even my husband (i thought), when WOW, my tongue started tap-dancing in my mouth.  All I could do was put my hand over my mouth as I "experienced" the supernatural.  What the heck, REALLY!??!  I would "speak" a little, cover my mouth, and then say OMG OMG OMG!!  A allowed, yes, allowed this to happen for about 3-4 minutes, repeatedly "speaking", placing my hand over mouth and then saying OH MY GOD, over and over.  I kind-of freaked~Not the emotional thing that I'd been taught AT ALL.  This was truly a little miracle, a little gift.  I was in tears, shaky, scared (in a sense) and really wanted to get the heck out of that room~to see my family (who by the way were right out-side the door, my daughter with her EAR pressed to the wall). 

I looked at my husband and said, "it's the real deal"!  My police-officer son, in uniform straight from work, looked at me and rolled his eyes.  My husband didn't say or ask me anything about it for almost a year. ( I finally spoke to him.)  My daughter and middle-son (atheist), both asked questions over the next few days.

I knew I had stopped the Spirit from being "free" within me, but, I thought~"I'll wait till I'm alone and spend time w/the Lord in prayer".  I literally fasted 3 days, reading my Bible, not doing an ounce of momma-duty, and just isolated w/the Lord.~1st time by the way. NOTHING happened!  I cried out, but couldn't understand why God wasn't "following through" on His end.  Yeh, that's how ignorant I was.  On the last day, with just a couple of hours left, I got off my knees and finished the fast off w/more Bible reading.  I have to say, I was not happy, I was frustrated and a little bit angry w/God.  When I opened the Bible, He put my focus directly on the Words He had for me and my attitude.  I wish I would have written that script down, but it was basically, "who are you to question me?"  I instantly knew He was speaking straight to me.

SEVERAL months pass.  What did I get from that little bitty experience?  I know that I know it was supernatural, and was absolutely from God. I also know that it was a confirmation of my salvation.  I have since read into the final book, Revelations, by several chapters.  Hungry, studying, sometimes going through dry spells, knowing He is so much more than I'm able to grasp and understand.  However,  I was gaining wisdom and began having little revelations.

Then a sequence of events:~supernatural is my explanation.  I dreamt of the word Shalom.  I'm a dreamer (light sleeper I guess), but don't ever remember dreaming about a word.  I'll cut to the core of events to make this shorter (ha-ha, right?).  I go to a Sadr in Dallas Texas w/long lost friends.  A Jewish women is sitting at our particular table, and she's also monitoring other tables out in the hall. (stuff to buy during intercessions).  I'm checking out the "stuff".  I see the word Shalom on a carved stone.  "What does this word mean", I asked this Jewish lady.  She said, "Peace" and then went on quoting something it pertained to in the OT.  I really didn't pay much attention, cause "peace" just didn't strike me as a big deal.  I figured a stone w/the name of Jesus or God is Love would have been a little more interesting.  It was, however, the only Word on anything they had for sale and I had dreamt it.

I had a debate w/these long lost, conservative, minister friends, on the way back home, along w/my best-friend, REGARDING my little-bitty tongue experience.  Well, I just quit talking, cuz, I could see they all thought I was loony, or something? (been there, done that).

Bottom line, I had NO friends, family (except my unbelieving children), and really no-one at church I knew that well, to talk to about this new thing, and WHAT'S IT ALL ABOUT.

A few days after the Sadr, and SEVERAL months after my ONE and ONLY experience~ I went on-line to read-up on "tongues".  The 2nd article I read had the word Shalom and a full description of the meaning.  Boy, it's much more than "peace".  If I would have payed more attention to this Jewish women, I would have understood, maybe, the scripture she gave me regarding the command Moses was given from God to pray the Blessing of Peace over the Israelites.  Shalom means to "make whole, to complete", etc, etc, At this time, I was in the final book of the Bible~Revelations~and God was completing me, making me whole.  I sat back in my computer chair and the Holy Spirit came over me.  PLZ don't mock~I understand He was already IN me, but He just FILLED me up>  As a 45yo, Christian conservative, I started searching the Lord out for myself.  At 46 He gives me a little gift.  At 47 he's completing me.

I'm not going to go into the details of the "tongue" experience that I had at that moment, but, I will say that I am now unhindered and free.  My faith is stronger, my understanding is wiser, my confidence is greater.  I'm able to bless others easier, pray w/o ceasing, speak bolder about my Love for the Lord.  My relationship w/Him took a leap.

My kids are a bit more perplexed.  My husband is becoming more curious.

You have all the scriptures that other's have suggested in earlier entries.  I totally get all parts of all the arguments, cuz I've now been full circle.  I suggest to start w/Genesis and seek God w/ all your heart, soul and mind.  When He leads, then you don't have to ask or question ppl anymore. 

Revelations is said to come w/a blessing.  That's exactly what I've been given.  God is completing me by honoring me as I honor Him. I have yet to read the last chapter of this book.  There's so much power in the Word, that it sometimes can be overwhelming.  I'm ready to re-read the Bible w/ an even higher level of understanding.  I just bought an amplified version.

I keep this gift pretty much to myself, unless I see that someone is open to it.  So, be blessed if YOU are.  God Speed.

~~rebecca (the mother of a conservative son, atheist son, agnostic daughter, and curious husband)~~but NOT for long cheesy

God is so Good!
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by otokx(m): 9:45pm On Jun 05, 2010
Too long a tale.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by Lady2(f): 9:52pm On Jun 05, 2010
It is an evidence that u've received d Holy Ghost!!!

No it is not, a devil can possess you and make you speak in tongues, and it can lead you to believe that you're speaking in tongues when infact you're not.

There are those who have received the Holy Ghost who don't speak in tongues.

Smh @ how much the Bible has been twisted by so called bible believers.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by Romeo4real(m): 4:41pm On Jun 06, 2010
I don't speak bird but if I saw one squwaking I'd know it was hungry or needed help
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Careful! It may be a mating call.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by lizzybabe1(f): 4:47pm On Jun 06, 2010
Romeo4real:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Careful! It may be a mating call.

And what's wrong in mating with a bird?
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by You1: 9:23pm On Jun 07, 2010
LOL, What is wrong with mating with a bird? "'Do not have sexual relations with an animal and defile yourself with it. A woman must not present herself to an animal to have sexual relations with it; that is a perversion."  leviticus 18:23
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by SIRCHRIS41: 1:59pm On Jul 27, 2010
well, i speak in tongues and it is biblical and surely not madness.There are a lot of mad women and men who do not know how to speak in tongues and if you do not understand a topic ,please do not expose your abysmally ignorance but rather seek to be correctly informed.There are challenges in life that you cannot scale through without the additional gifts of God to you as a believer by the power of the Holy ghost as evidenced by speaking in tongues.
It is not incantation nor is it a stage managed act.It is simply real and refreshing contact with God the divine besides the benefits of the Power pf the Holy Ghosts presence that it gives.The Holy Ghost is a fire wall of protection for all believers that he indwells.Psalm 91.
Speaking in tongues is a spontaneous outflow verbally which expresses the inner presence of the Holy Ghost and occurs at the experience of born again Christian rich by the Holy Ghost Baptism.
Some orthodox churches had said that speaking in tongues experience died with the first twelve Apostles of Jesus Christ ,however they have now recanted that position and accepted the gift of God thanks to the Pentecostal movements.I will sure be praying for you to be both born again and to start speaking in tongues since i know it is a wonderful experience.I know you have asked the question out of ignorance or rather surprise but when God says yes who can say no?
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by ChristianIssues: 2:48am On Aug 11, 2010
The following video is very helpful in understanding the gifts of tongues, prophecy and knowledge and why they ceased.

Speaking In Tongues Part A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi6fIUpvZUI

God bless,
Mick
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by zenith4biz(m): 6:14pm On Sep 14, 2014
When i speak in tongues, i say random stuffs (but somewhere in my mind, im speaking english, saying FATHER BLESS ME, protect me and so on), I'm just using random english. . [/quote]
Bro thank you just clear my doubts. When I am praying I know am praying in English and I would be hearing English but people would tell me am speaking in tongues
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by nwakaibeya1: 3:15pm On May 24, 2015
speaking in tongues is rubbish and must be discouraged among speakers because pastors and prophets etc use it to cage and decieve ignorant people in churches because they lack the strange unbeleivable power of jesuschrist to save parishioners just like they use fasting and night vigil to prolong bondages and cage people in churches ?if the raw power of jesuschrist is with you as his JESUSCHRIST follower which he promised those who follow him you dont need those long suffering as if God and jesuschrist is very far where as those people they call witches and wizards and native doctors and occult people of all sorts whom they see as evil dont fast and night vigil still they exhibit power and those powers they use belong to jesuschrist why not see discover jesuschrist real powers which you can seek from us to enable you stop suffering in silence but even after speaking in tongues witches and wizards still oppress you at night and you still fear the occult world?cant you see that something is missing in your life which is the LIGHT of Jesus christ?have you asked yourself why jesuschrist said i am the light of the world?behold Evil marine,occult world rules and many claiming to know JESUSCHRIST or dont know CHRIST and secular have their roots and power from there and pretend before spiritual ignorant humans aand thats why lots of evil are all over the place evn with speaking in tongues?

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Revenge: Are You For Or Against? / Pastor Buries Charm In Church In Benin / Killings: CAN Peaceful Protest In Kaduna In Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.