Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,194 members, 7,818,642 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:33 PM

Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? (23001 Views)

Poll: Do you speak in tongues?

Yes: 39% (40 votes)
No: 54% (56 votes)
Previously: 5% (6 votes)
This poll has ended

Are You Fully Conscious When Speaking In Tongues? / Next Time You See Someone Speaking In Tongues In Church, Slap Them / Speaking In Tongues Medical Study Proves Holy Spirit Praying (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by GL(f): 3:02am On May 13, 2006
People can fake anything, especially spiritual things since they cannot be seen. I've seen several occasions where ppl were prayed for and began to speak in tongues, even young children. I think it all depends on the person's heart.

I won't go for just anyone to lay hands on me anymore for personal reasons and not because of speaking in tongues. We tend to overdo things in Nigeria. This is more in pentecostal circles. This is my opinion on why this happens: I think this is so because unlike the orthodox churches, we don't have rigid guidelines for the order of services. We believe that the Holy Spirit moves in unusual ways (and in many cases have experienced it e.g. d Holy Spirit prompting a pastor to stop his sermon and pray for a sick person who gets well instantly, or ppl getting healed during praise sessions). But when such a thing happens, the ppl tend to attribute the action of the Holy Spirit to the pastor's faith, prayer etc. and this sort of puts pressure on the pastor to "do" it repeatedly. Of course, the Holy Spirit moves when He wants to so sometimes pastors overdo certain things in a service in a bid to "coax" the Holy Spirit to move. It gets worse when the Holy Spirit doesn't do whatever the ppl are expecting (He may very well not do it since the pastor wants Him to do it to save his face b4 the ppl). This cannot happen in orthodox churches because the guidlines have been set for a very long time now. Plus, some orthodox churches rotate leadership, which is not very common in African Indigenous Churches.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by Idekeson(m): 1:42pm On May 13, 2006
Their answer to this religious foolery is the same old default answer to all religious shortcomings:
The things of the Lord is above human intelligence.
Well, I'm not accepting such simplified explanation to human existence.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by Anabib(f): 4:40pm On May 13, 2006
ITS NOT ALL THINGS THAT SHOULD BE ANALYSED!
SPEEKING IN TONGUE IS A GIFT OF THE HOLY SPIRIT. AND ITS NOT EVERYBODY THAT HAS SUCH GIFTS. THERE ARE OTHER GIFTS OF THE HOLY SPIRIT LIKE COUNCEL, HEALING, INTERCESORY ETC.

SO WE MUST NOT SIT IN THIS FORUM AND ANALYSE WHAT ITS ALL ABOUT.
''MY PEOPLE PERISH FOR LACK OF KNOWLEGE''

IF YOU DONT UNDERSTAND WHY SOME PEOPLE SPEAK IN SUCH TONGUES OR IF YOU THINK THAT THEY ARE FAKING IT- LET THEM BE.
THERE ARE SHEEPS AND THERE ARE WOLVES- (GOD HAS ALREADY MADE THAT KNOWN IN THE BIBLE)
DO NOT JUDGE SO THAT YOU SHALL NOT BE JUDGED

THE THINGS OF THE WORLD HAS A MUCH DEEPER MEANING THAN WE CAN SEE.

YOU MUST ASK GOD TO REVEAL YOUR OWN GIFT TO YOU.
Idekeson:

Their answer to this religious foolery is the same old default answer to all religious shortcomings:
The things of the Lord is above human intelligence.
Well, I'm not accepting such simplified explanation to human existence.

WELL I DONT KNOW WHAT TO SAY TO YOU, BUT THERES A HUGE DIFFERENCE BTW CHRISTIANITY AND SCIENCE. IN THE FORMER , NOT EVERYTHING HAS AN EXPLANATION, FOR IT WORKS WITH FAITH WHILE THE LATTER WORKS WITH PROOFS.

SO KNOW THAT: [b]The things of the Lord is above human intelligence[/b]
TODAY AND FOREVER!
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by ajia23(m): 8:19pm On May 13, 2006
Hi
I will be leaving familiar waters in contributing to this. But I would want to know more about this topic, and perhaps give christians an insight into how they are perceived by Muslims.

In actual fact, we know that the concept of speaking in tongues is very recent. It must have started in the 20th century, because the christians of old, did not engage in this practice. I think that those tracing it's practice to biblical times erroneously depict the confusion which descended on the disciples of christ and the attendant loss of communication between them as speaking in Tongues. In Nigeria, Muslims know that some Pastors come to mystic Muslim scholars who are illegally using the Quran and Jinns for things they shouldn't use them for- magic. Now these Jinns give the Pastors some incantations to proclaim when they want to attract followers to their churches. So we see their episodes of speaking in tongues as an incantation recital exercise designed to activate the powers of these Jinns. And then, they hide under the pretext of the Holy Spirit's descent to beguile a gullible followership who try to replicate this incoherent sayings in a bid to out do each other and show holiness.

However, I am not saying this vie is correct. I am open to correction. But this must be done in a laymans way, because as I said earler, I am Muslim, not christian, and I will find it difficult to understand direct biblical quotations.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by ikamefa(f): 11:44pm On May 13, 2006
grin i have never laughed so hard like this in my life (pissing my self) i agree with the zahymakas view anyways kiss
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by eveseh(f): 12:24am On May 14, 2006
i dont really know buy my mom do that sometimes
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by DaHitler(m): 12:31am On May 14, 2006
Eveseh, I hope she doesn't do that when your friends are around. smiley
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by eveseh(f): 12:48am On May 14, 2006
wahahahahah,no she dont cool
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by Zahymaka(m): 12:52am On May 14, 2006
ikamefa:

grin i have never laughed so hard like this in my life (pissing my self) i agree with the zahymakas view anyways kiss

Thanks.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by ikamefa(f): 2:11am On May 14, 2006
you are welcome grin
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by mrmayor(m): 6:39pm On May 14, 2006
Hi, i not here to anybodies fun.

In Acts 2:4 Luke uses a different adjective when he says, “they began to speak with other tongues.” The word “other” (Gr. heteros) simply means that they spoke in languages different from the normal language they were used to. The context substantiates this. Notice the surprised reaction on the part of the hearers—“And they were all amazed and marveled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galileans? And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?” (Acts 2:7,cool. Every man heard them speak in his own language (Acts 2:6). Here the word “language” is the translation of dialekto from which our word “dialect” comes. The two words glossa (tongue) and dialektos (language) are used synonymously, making it obvious that the disciples were speaking in known languages other than the language native to them. In verses 9-11 the languages are then identified. It was a miraculous phenomenon which enabled the disciples to speak in languages which they had never learned. Here in this Acts passage we have tongues-speaking in its pure and unperverted form as God gave it

If you screaming ( obj atiku kaka saddam saddam etc) you fooling yourself.
Any man of God, especially Made In Nigeria Churches can preach in Russian,Catonese,Swahili on thCantoneseithout any previous knowledge then i would accept. This men of God (sic) don't need intepreters when preacinterpretersPeace to all.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by ajia23(m): 8:02pm On May 14, 2006
@ Mrmayor

You say people who speak in tongues speak other peoples languages? This reminds me of my under Graduate days when a muslim cleric was carrying out exorcism on someone, and then the exorcees tongue stuck out of his mouth and yet was speaking Arabic. Now this boy did not understand Arabic at all, but here he was speaking fluent Arabic. Does this qualify to be speaking in tongues?
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by Inka: 11:08pm On May 14, 2006
shocked the holy ghost is upon me hariri habl bla bla osiris fifi bin cka cha la den busha bam bam boom, translation get the #### outta here.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by mrmayor(m): 1:43am On May 15, 2006
@ ajayi 23.

I'm sorry to break your bubble. How did you know that the person been exorcised couldn't speak Arabic, I would assume his a Muslim!
I hear people say its the language of heaven yet the disciples and apostles never spoke this celestial language. If God indeed is a spirit
then its safe to assume that he does not need (kosima bush ekp sime hitler hitler etc) to communicate with Jesus and Angels.

I do know that God talks to people in their own tongue or a tongue they would understand

Paul's reference to the "tongues of men and angels" (1 Cor 13:1) is the basis for the widespread belief among Pentecostals that they speak in angelic tongues. The reason for wanting to believe this is clearly because tongues are seldom recognizable as a language of mankind. Some Pentecostals will think of their tongue as belonging to some far-off tribe, but this explanation becomes unconvincing after a while

Does the bible provide solid evidence for belief in the gift of angelic tongues or should we rather expect tongues of mankind? The starting point of our investigation is Pentecost, and no one doubts that on this occasion, tongues of mankind are referred to:

Now there were staying in Jerusalem God-fearing Jews from every nation under heaven. When they heard this sound, a crowd came together in bewilderment, because each one heard them speaking in his own language. Utterly amazed, they asked: "Are not all these men who are speaking Galileans? Then how is it that each of us hears them in his own native language? Parthians, Medes and Elamites; residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya near Cyrene; visitors from Rome (both Jews and converts to Judaism); Cretans and Arabs--we hear them declaring the wonders of God in our own tongues!" Amazed and perplexed, they asked one another, "What does this mean?" Some, however, made fun of them and said, "They have had too much wine."

(Acts 2:5-13 NIV)

Naija pipol abeg make read una Bible well
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by baby4u2(f): 2:35am On May 15, 2006
@ajia23, i want u to understand that where they exist something real u must also find fakes. the fact that those so called pastors come to the jinns u explained and recite incantations in pretext of speaking in tongues doesnt make the idea of the gift of speaking in other tongues wrong. your notion perceived about all who speak in tongues is wrong and its best that next time when trying to justify ur point of view u dont stereotype or generalize.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by Bisanke(f): 3:45am On May 15, 2006
Speaking in tongues/ hmmm i dont really know what its abt but i think when they sayin it they just talkin in Hebrew or something and it was the language those olden days of the bible used i think i dunno but i just know dat they b using it alot at church
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by ajia23(m): 6:13am On May 15, 2006
This really is getting interesting here.
@ Mrmayor in response to your question, not all Muslims speak arabic. In fact very few Muslims in Naija speak Arabic. What you hear Muslims say are some invocations they had learnt in order to perform their daily ritualistic devotions. In the case of this boy, I know for sure that he didn't speak Arabic prior to the exorcism, because, he was a Medical student, and I knew him well. I was also a student in the same school remember. That is why I was present where they were doing the exorcism. And another thing, I was perceived as too skeptic by my other Muslim brothers, because I tended not to believe in matters of the occultic or the spiritual world too much. That is why I got a front seat invitation to that episode. Remember, I said the boys tongue was sticking out of his mouth, yet he was speaking. Now how was this possible? Still remains a mystery to me. I wish scientists would attempt to investigate and throw more light so I can understand the process.

I am sorry I sounded stereotypical, goodness me, I really must try to stop falling in the trap of generalization. But baby4U, please explain to me how you are able to decipher what people are saying when they speak in tongues?
Thanks
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by mrmayor(m): 11:24am On May 15, 2006
@ ajia23

If you say that the man was sticking his tongue out and speaking in Arabic means that you could speak Arabic yourself as you understand him and that he just wasn't just babbling.The language of Islam is Arabic as is the Koran. I would not argue with  you about what heard or think you  heard.

I'm still waiting for Benny Hinn and friends to starting speaking in Yoruba,Efik, Russian etc and stop using interpreters.
I live in Ireland and everybody speaks English I'waiting for the day Holy Spirit filled Made in Nigeria Pastors (sic) start speaking in Irish.If anybody in Nigeria starts
speaking in Irish without ever hearing it or learning it,I would imimmediately believe

My pipol Wise Up
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by carechoji(m): 12:23pm On May 15, 2006
I want to believe that, speaking in tongues is not something that we should play with, as a christian, I strongly believe that we should respect that, even though it is gotten from the old testament, it shopuld be noted here that, it is the Holy spirit at work and not man or human power we may say.

The Holy spirit came down upon the apostles and they began to preach in different tongues which they do not know about, but then at the same time, they reach many people with the word and many were reach and they turn to christ.

But in today's world, the christians so much believe that you can speak in tongues as and when you want, without the Holy spirit guiding you to do so. Some began to speak in tongues immediately they start praying and others in the middle of the prayer session, some with words that you cannot understand and others with words that sound similar.

As it was in the bible so shall it be in the physical.
Let us not be fools and let us not be lead by wrong spirit, let us allowed the spirit to guide whenever we are praying, because God's word should be taken for granted and neither His prayers be taken as a joke.

Thank you
Choji
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by enolase(m): 3:04pm On May 15, 2006
Hello,

Any serious Christian who knows what speaking in tongues is all about need not answer people like Seun (or is it Nwoke) and his people.

If you are a tongue-talking believer,please keep on at it; it ia an invaluable tool to lead a successful Christain life.

It is useless trying to convince known atheists. Let them read the accounts of the final moments on earth of atheists like Francois Voltaire or Hobbes, and let's see if they will learn anything from that.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by ajia23(m): 8:58pm On May 15, 2006
@ Mrmayor

You are right, I understand a little Arabic. You see Arabic is a language you can learn to read, but not understand what you read, and not be able to write or speak it. That is the category most Muslims in Naija fall into. They read the Quran-that's why it's called recitation, but they cannot understand without reading the translation to English.

I however devoted time to learn the language, and I understand it a little. In fact, the "spirit"in him was asked it's age, and he replied something like 20 000 years. Also they asked it's name, and it gave it. They also asked why it picked that boy, and it said it was because of some of his habits. All these were in Arabic. It still is a mystery to me though.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by mrmayor(m): 11:45pm On May 15, 2006
My pipol,

Now there were staying in Jerusalem God-fearing Jews from every nation under heaven. When they heard this sound, a crowd came together in bewilderment, because each one heard them speaking in his own language. Utterly amazed, they asked: "Are not all these men who are speaking Galileans? Then how is it that each of us hears them in his own native language? Parthians, Medes and Elamites; residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya near Cyrene; visitors from Rome (both Jews and converts to Judaism); Cretans and Arabs--we hear them declaring the wonders of God in our own tongues!" Amazed and perplexed, they asked one another, "What does this mean?" Some, however, made fun of them and said, "They have had too much wine."

(Acts 2:5-13 NIV)

The passage above is explicit about what exactly happened. These Apostles spoke in languages of other people in that meeting.
Let me break it down, fast forward Nigeria 2006. Jewish apostles speaking to Nigerians in National Assembly in their native tongue i.e Ibo,Edo,Idoma, Hausa etc all 250 of them, everyone would indeed marvel at this.
@ All Tongue Speaking Christains
Have you ever heard any man of God preaching to any congregation in a tongue they have never used before? I'm not talking about  kaka ki ki maki mai lal yaya kuya.
This is the age of Reason.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by zionchic(f): 7:56am On May 16, 2006
like others have said before the things of God are not understood by human minds or intelligence, that is why God has hidden his deep things from the wise and prudent and has revealed them to babes. it's not amazing how some people purposely or ignorantly trample on the things of God.

the bible says in Rom 8: 26

"Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered."

that scripture i believe better elaborates the angelic aspect of speaking in tongues in that scripture.

@ MrMayor

you are awaiting the time ministers would preach in other tongues, can u show me a place in the bible where the disciples "preached" in other tongues. i believe the act experience was the disciples praying and not preaching, 'because as u well know they would not be preaching at the same time rather they were blessing the lord and declaring his wonders, remember peter had to stand up with the other to explain (most definitely) in the tongue understood by the general populace what was going on. paul's explanaition about tongues and prophesy is completely different from your assumption he said in Rom 14: 2-3

2For anyone who speaks in a tongue[a] does not speak to men but to God. Indeed, no one understands him; he utters mysteries with his spirit.[b]

3But everyone who prophesies speaks to men for their strengthening, encouragement and comfort

with that you should understand that tongues is for the speaker's edification be it angelic or man and it's no crime if no one understands it. however prophecy needs to be interpreted by the speaker or another who has a gift to interpret.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by lioness(f): 11:29am On May 16, 2006
rebababtrishgsgareer
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by Ib(f): 12:52pm On May 16, 2006
My mumsie makes me laugh. Whilst we were in Nigeria, she went to different churches from Deeper life to redeemed to MFM, you name it, she was there and trust her to drag us along with her, if not, no food for us that day.

In one of the churches, they announced that if you want to have the gift of the tongue, come out. Trust mumsie to drag herself and us to the front of the church. The pastor laid his hands on us and prayed and then asked us to wait after the service.

Well, after the service, one of the prayer warriors started to say we should open our mouth and say anything. He even said we should say banana, plaintain, pineapple in the sequence and after we repeat millions of times in the spirit, we shall begin to speak another tongue. Ur girl start now,  wetin i for do? I was very hungry and i thot to myself that the sooner i get the hang of this thing, the quicker we go home.

I opened my mouth wide and in my loudest voice, bananaplaintainpineapplebananaplaintainpineapplebananaplaintainpineapplebananaplaintainpineapple until i switched to bobobobosantan orobokibo sainterebaba.
When the prayer warrior had had enough, he sent us home. When we got home, i told my mum that we didnt have to speak in tongues to be good christains. To cut a long story short,  when we all told her  how silly it was to be saying banana plaintain pineapple, she bursted out laughing and began to see the light.

Now she doesnt go about seeking for the gift of the tongue, she just prays her own ( and she still hasnt received the spirit yet)

Its almost like you have to speak in tongue to be a good christain.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by lioness(f): 1:21pm On May 16, 2006
rebababstajijuhystgfre rastatatat djfhjdgrhjsjksioruiougozufvbsdivgwndgfuweavbeigrqwlbr;1IOH;IOQWR;VEWNTWEIT;EBTYIBYOTIt4;bvo4ytnst95ybnu6y7nu06y0yjbetv88l9 3at
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by Zahymaka(m): 1:24pm On May 16, 2006
lioness, if you spoke that within a churhc during prayer time, you'd be looked at with great respect, but if you try that outside -- an asylum's where you'd be headed.
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by Rhodalyn(f): 1:27pm On May 16, 2006
hlabababa osakoto babbabto to myanda herunto kosonto heyemamamamamama mamamama mamama

I find tongues to be some kind of silly joke lipsrsealed
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by Anabib(f): 1:49pm On May 16, 2006
lioness:

rebababstajijuhystgfre rastatatat djfhjdgrhjsjksioruiougozufvbsdivgwndgfuweavbeigrqwlbr;1IOH;IOQWR;VEWNTWEIT;EBTYIBYOTIt4;bvo4ytnst95ybnu6y7nu06y0yjbetv88l9 3at
Zahymaka:

lioness, if you spoke that within a churhc during prayer time, you'd be looked at with great respect, but if you try that outside -- an asylum's where you'd be headed.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by Rhodalyn(f): 1:50pm On May 16, 2006
lol cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by lioness(f): 1:53pm On May 16, 2006
I know this tongue thingy sounds funny but i believe in it  and it works for moi.

So am keeping da tongue

Ratsttatatat rabbabgre gre gra gartata yananhagtfss grin grin grin grin
Re: Speaking In Tongues: What's That All About? by Ib(f): 1:56pm On May 16, 2006
okirimaja, rostototo, yekpetttaaaa skonta baba rasta nwannem osondi owendi, decoq, romboowombo lombo attatatata pat attah

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Revenge: Are You For Or Against? / Paul Enenche On Leah Sharibu: Enough Of The Bloodshed In Nigeria / Six Things A Christian Should Never Do - Tunde Korede

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.