Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,034 members, 7,818,053 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:06 AM

Scandal: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome In South African Trouble! - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Scandal: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome In South African Trouble! (248093 Views)

Poll: What's your verdict?

These bad people are lying against the man of God.: 50% (130 votes)
There's a strong possibility that allegations are true.: 49% (129 votes)
This poll has ended

Photo Of Pastor Chris Oyakhilome In Superman Attire / Picture Of Pastor Chris Oyakhilome In 1997 (At A Camp Meeting) / Pastor Chris Oyakhilome In Agbada/Native (Picture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Scandal: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome In South African Trouble! by WarfyBoy(m): 8:03pm On Apr 09, 2008
ONLY GOD CAN JUDGE!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Scandal: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome In South African Trouble! by huxley(m): 8:23pm On Apr 09, 2008
I am NOT surprise! Neither am I surprised that he has followers in this sea of desperation and credulity.
Re: Scandal: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome In South African Trouble! by huxley(m): 8:30pm On Apr 09, 2008
[size=20pt]Benny Hinn Healing Crusade Ends in Controversy[/size]

By Leo Igwe

http://www.csicop.org/sb/2006-09/hinn.html

In April 2005, American Evangelist Benny Hinn arrived in Nigeria for his much-advertised Healing Crusade. He flew into the country aboard his Gulfstream III jet with a retinue of bodyguards. But a few days later, Hinn left Nigeria in annoyance and disappointment. He was irked by the low turnout at the event: only an estimated 300,000 people attended the crusade instead of the six million that had been expected.

Hinn was visibly angry because of the huge amount of money he had invested in the crusade. "Four million dollars down the drain," he is said to have shouted on the final day of the event. The vice president of Benny Hinn Ministries, Jon Wilson, gave a breakdown of the money. He said $3 million was spent on hotel accommodations and technical infrastructure, while $1 million more was used up by members of the local organizing committee.

But the Benny Hinn Healing Crusade generated a lot of interest and debate in the local media. A Nigerian pastor, writing in The Guardian, one of the national dailies, urged the Pentecostal leaders to "bury their heads in shame," given the "prevailing rot" in their churches. And as a face-saving measure, the Pentecostal Federation of Nigeria (PFN)-the umbrella group of most Pentecostal churches in Nigeria-had to expel Bishop Dr. Joseph Olanrewaju Obembe, the president of the PFN chapter in Lagos, General Overseer of the El-Shaddai Bible Church, and a coordinator of the Benny Hinn Healing Crusade, and other pastors who served on the local committee.

With the growing decline in religious belief in America and the entire Western world, evangelists are looking to Africa for converts, followers, and disciples. Many Pentecostal churches in Africa receive millions of dollars in aid from their American counterparts to "bring Africans to Christ." Luis Bush, a cousin of president George W. Bush and one of the leading evangelists in the US., supports missionary work in more that thirty African countries. Other American evangelists, such as Benny Hinn, Todd Bentley, and Oral Roberts, as well as the German evangelist Reinhard Bonnke, sponsor miracle crusades across the continent.

Pentecostalism has therefore become a thriving business in Africa. In fact, it has become the shortest route to wealth and affluence for the continent's teeming population of unemployed youths. Local pastors employ all sorts of tricks and techniques to extort money from gullible folks (as well as foreign friends). They use this money to build magnificent churches, erect costly dwellings, buy luxurious cars and aircraft, and live ostentatiously, while their church members languish in poverty, misery, and squalor.

In most cases, pastors tell the faithful to give money to God so that God will bless them in return. They tell the people of the divine favors that come to those who pay their tithes and make offerings regularly. Or they use the biblical injunction that says, "givers never lack"-though in Africa, they often do-to squeeze money out of the people. In Nigeria, there have been instances where people have even stolen money to give to their pastors and churches. In March 2003, a cashier in a hotel in Abuja was arrested for allegedly stealing nearly forty million naira (about $40,000) from his employer. The man later confessed to the police that he gave the money to his church, Christ Embassy. And in another case of theft for God, a bank clerk stole forty million naira from his employer and gave ten million to his church as seed money, in the belief that the seed would germinate and yield several times that amount in return, as promised by his pastor. The man, according to the BBC's Focus on Africa magazine, got appointed to the office of assistant pastor. But before his seed could germinate, the crime was detected and he was arrested.
Miracles in Africa

Africans are suckers for magic, miracles, and paranormal claims. Generally, among Africans, there is a deep-seated belief in supernatural forces that intervene and alter human destinies for good or ill. These spiritual forces are believed to work in magical and miraculous ways, through signs and wonders that confound the human mind. And the evangelical churches are capitalizing on this superstitious element in African thought and culture to peddle and propagate their paranormal services. They promise divine healing and instant solutions for problems and diseases.

Pentecostal pastors claim they have the power to make the deaf hear, the blind see, the lame walk, and the infertile give birth. Recently, Gilbert Deya, a self-proclaimed archbishop from Kenya, got himself into trouble: he said he could make infertile black couples give birth to miracle babies. But police investigations revealed child theft and baby trafficking. (See my article "The Kenya Miracle Babies Scandal," in the September 2005 Skeptical Briefs.) Some years ago, a Nigerian pastor, Temitope Joshua, of the Synagogue of All Nations, announced to the world that he could cure HIV/AIDS.

In 2001, German evangelist Reinhard Bonnke was reported to have raised a person from the dead. There have been a lot of such indiscriminate claims of miracles and divine healing by Nigeria's televangelists and end-time preachers-Chris Oyakhilome, Enoch Adeboye, David Oyedepo, Helen Ukpabio, Matthew Ashimolowo, et al. These faith healers use the money from miracle seekers to put up billboards and sponsor radio and television programs advertising their miracles. Last year, the Nigerian Broadcasting Commission had to ban the broadcast of miracles on national television.

Faith healing is the greatest threat to scientific medicine and health-care delivery in Africa. Miracles have no basis in science, reason, or common sense. All claims of divine cures and healing cannot be reconciled with the dire health situation in Africa. Africa has the highest infant-mortality rate in the world. And millions there are still dying of preventable diseases like malaria and tuberculosis. According to the United Nations, 6,000 African children die from-and 11,000 become infected with-HIV/AIDS every day. And if there are indeed people with supernatural powers to heal the sick, raise the dead, and cure all ailments, why are human beings suffering and dying? It is quite obvious that all claims of miracles and faith healing are fake. As the French philosopher and writer Ernest Renan rightly pointed out, "No miracle has ever taken place under conditions which science can accept."

Experience shows, without exception, that "miracles" occur only in the presence of persons who are disposed to believe in them. So, faith healers are just taking advantage of the African predicament. They are cashing in on the desperation and gullibility of Africans to enrich themselves and to promote their churches.

Africa needs science, not superstition; critical thinking, not dogma; open mindedness, not blind faith; reason, not revelation; and industry and technological advancement, not the Holy Spirit and miracles. Africa needs skepticism, not Pentecostalism.

Source http://www.csicop.org/sb/2006-09/hinn.html

1 Like

Re: Scandal: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome In South African Trouble! by osasp(m): 8:39pm On Apr 09, 2008
no one has the right to judge
im not saying the allegations are true or false
but even if us true christians are to follow the laws of God, then your opnion shouldnt be heard
Re: Scandal: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome In South African Trouble! by PapaBrowne(m): 9:45pm On Apr 09, 2008
Kia! People and their false stories!!
The story lacks credibility by any journalistic standards. How come the reporter didn't bother seeking other church members that might have been paid-at least to verify the claims.
Besides, if these kind of stories were true, it would be big news and journalists would have done enough TV documentaries to support it.

And you know what makes the story even more false, it is a known fact that churches get members to do whatever without paying! People sing in choir for free,people give their everything free, people do all sorts of things for church free of charge. Church members even give 10% of their earnings to the church.
The pastor doesn't need to pay anybody to do whatever.

Humans are just like that. We like to bring down popular and successful people. I find that concept of humanity really hard to comprehend.

Once again the story lacks credibility.But who cares anyway, its just one of those things that would fizzle out.

And yes I remember, in the bible, the pharisees claimed that Jesus was using evil powers to perform miracles- Mark 3 vs 20.
So people are always going to say crap.It didn't start today and would not end today.
Re: Scandal: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome In South African Trouble! by mnwankwo(m): 10:00pm On Apr 09, 2008
Any claim of miracle that cannot be independently validated did not happen in the first instance. It is possible for miraculous healings to occur but in those instances, such healings can be observed by several people and validated by independent sources. Indeed a man born blind in village A is known by most villagers to be blind and if he regains his or her sight, the event will be common knowlege to most people including fellow villagers. Those who make such claims should provide evidence for their claims. In this way the fraudsters will be unmasked for what they are and those who God has endowed with genuine abilities will become manifest. A man that lives according Gods laws is a man of God and such a man will never lie or claim abilities which he never possed. Sick people are prevalent in large numbers in hospitals, not on television screens and crusade grounds. However the fraudlent claims of many a preacher is not enough reason to disbelieve in the occurence of miracles. Genuine skeptics should investigate any serious claims of miracles and they may find that in very rare cases, miracles do occur.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Scandal: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome In South African Trouble! by mdCEO(m): 10:36pm On Apr 09, 2008
this is no news in nigeria,everyone knows this is what goes on in any get rich house of Gods,efcc should check all these and even possible sources of funding of these churches,how can some of them richer than our modern day banks,na waoooooooooooooooo grin
Re: Scandal: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome In South African Trouble! by anusule(m): 11:52pm On Apr 09, 2008
;Dbusted.
Re: Scandal: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome In South African Trouble! by bawomolo(m): 12:03am On Apr 10, 2008
if no one has the right to judge, why don't u let all the rapists , kidnappers, murderers etc free. we shouldn't judge them right. it's obviously you blind sheep guys would go to any lengths to defend this man. he should be properly investigated.  i wouldn't be surprised if there is truth to it.
Re: Scandal: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome In South African Trouble! by TheSly: 12:06am On Apr 10, 2008
And how would u know if this is a blackmail ?
Re: Scandal: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome In South African Trouble! by bawomolo(m): 12:19am On Apr 10, 2008
we won't know unless he is PROPERLY investigated.  oyakhilome has enough resources to expose the guy as a blackmailer
Re: Scandal: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome In South African Trouble! by TheSly: 12:22am On Apr 10, 2008
Then lets wait and see. . . .
Re: Scandal: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome In South African Trouble! by princedapo: 12:26am On Apr 10, 2008
Basically,i knew someday,the truth will surely be revealed about this so call man of God,i have never been moved a bit about his miracle and i will never be not aftermath of this allegations,just as one of the posters have rightly said,how would sombody blind from birth recognised any colour for crying out loud.Anyway,i believe all this were happening due to just one factor and that is the poverty levy of nigeria but thank God he has been ban restricted from advitising all his fake miracles on all the national Tv stations.Lastly,just a piece of advice,he should try and change his ways and begins to follow the footsteps of some reputable men of God like PASTOR ADEBOYE,PASTOR OBADARE etc.just tell me how mant times have you seen these afformentioned men of GOD,advitising miracles on TVs.Change now before is too late. cool
Re: Scandal: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome In South African Trouble! by Nobody: 1:22am On Apr 10, 2008
Touch not my anointed and do my prophet no harm.
This is all i have to say,but only God knows the truth.
Re: Scandal: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome In South African Trouble! by bawomolo(m): 1:30am On Apr 10, 2008
chisco82:

na wa for this religious immunity ooo shocked shocked
Re: Scandal: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome In South African Trouble! by DisGuy: 5:02am On Apr 10, 2008
lol @ religious immunity!

Besides, if these kind of stories were true, it would be big news and journalists would have done enough TV documentaries to support it.

if the miracles were true , why cant independent nigerian journalist do documentaries to support them? this might be the new cash cow for our economy - 'foreign exchange earner'

all these people talking about 'sources' have you read the nigerian newspapers at all? they are full of 'sources' who begs anonymity
Re: Scandal: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome In South African Trouble! by TOYOSI20(f): 6:13am On Apr 10, 2008
Really can't comment lipsrsealed
Re: Scandal: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome In South African Trouble! by adconline(m): 6:29am On Apr 10, 2008
Its mind boggling in this age that companies are spending billions of dollars to cure cancer, HIV- AIDS and other deadly diseases and yet most people in Africa believe in miracles. How does God compensate for hard work and critical thinking? If God gives Pastor Chris such inordinate powers to cure terminal diseases and Bill Gates is investing his in finding new cures for Malaria, cancer, and HIV-AID, then this God is very partial and negates hard work.

Ask yourself these questions: If westerners believed in miracles, you would not have had access to a computer let alone the internet. You would not have had air planes, we would not have had scientific breakthroughs. I think that Marcus Garvey said " If God had not willed us to prosper He would not have given us the brain to think" Why think with your brain when miracles are abundant and cheaper. This just reminds of what happened during my high schools years when some folks who had wasted all their years suddenly became born-again with the hope of making all their WAEC papers. Wake up folks.
Re: Scandal: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome In South African Trouble! by anonimi: 8:01am On Apr 10, 2008
chisco82:

Those who believe this type of Christian doctine above should prayerfully go through the link below:

http://www.spiritualabuse.org/mywritings/authority.html

Read the Bible yourself and get your personal Holy Spirit led interpretation instead of being hoodwinked into eternal condemnation.
---------------------------------------
Jeremiah 9: 23-24
Re: Scandal: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome In South African Trouble! by stephanio(f): 8:04am On Apr 10, 2008
shocked  i do not condemn men of GOD its not any body ,s responsibility to do that instead keep yourself busy with other profitable things as for the miracles i don't doubt is there anything too hard for GOD to do?Wat's is the proof of the resurrection of Christ anytime i hear bout miracles am happy cos someone s life had been impacted,and hope has been given to someone. kiss
Re: Scandal: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome In South African Trouble! by Jansop: 8:21am On Apr 10, 2008
Now,reading this write up really angers and saddens me, First,let the guy who claims he was offered money come out and declare publicly.Its is sad to think that someone would say such a thing about a man of God.If it was Sango or any other idol,I am sure such a person would be struck by thunder by now,thank God for his mercy.Now,I am a living witness,Pastor Chris is not fake,I got healed,My mum too and my friend's brother too at a program with Pastor Chris.mine was migraine headaches,my mum diabetes and my friend's brother,sickle cell.my friend's brother is almost 30 yrs now,nobody thought he would live to be 20.WE DID NOT PAY A DIME.I CHALLENGE THE GUY TO COME FORWARD AND PROVE THAT HE WAS PAID TO SIT IN A WHEELCHAIR,IF NOT,HE SHOULD SHUT UP AND LET OTHERS ENJOY THE ANOINTING ON THE MAN OF GOD.
Re: Scandal: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome In South African Trouble! by doracle4(m): 8:36am On Apr 10, 2008
We are very fast to condemn anything and everyone who does not fit our perfect picture. I guess if we were all present at the time of Jesus, we would be shouting Juju man or fake prophet.
I am not surprised and never will be if someone steps up to say God is a fraud, but the truth is GOd is not in heaven trying to make a deal with u, He simply says, This is the deal! Either u like it or not, God is God. He uses those He wants to use and in extraordinary ways. God disgraces His enemies in awesome ways and not through such manners. If pastor Chris is a fake, he will fall like a mighty meteorite and not though senseless accusations like that carried out by the pharisees of 2008 years ago.

mdCEO:

this is no news in nigeria,everyone knows this is what goes on in any get rich house of Gods,efcc should check all these and even possible sources of funding of these churches,how can some of them richer than our modern day banks,na waoooooooooooooooo grin

So with all ur understanding of the things of God, u expect the banking system to be richer than God's Gospel truth? The people working in the banks, are they not humans who also could be christians? can u put all of God's promises in a bank? Who gives wealth? The bible said weakth does not come form the east, west or south but from God. Please dont talk on what u do not understand. Seek knowledge and wisdom from God on His issues of life and how He sees life.
Re: Scandal: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome In South African Trouble! by deejay1(m): 8:45am On Apr 10, 2008
@ Ibime
Of course Pastor Chris is a fake. He has been a fake from day one. Any man who is scared to use his own accent and has to fake a foreign accent is a dupe. The very first time I heard him with his fake accent, I did not need anyone to tell me he was a dupe.
stupid!!!! se na him send u make u dey talk ur bullshit PH accent! gt sme wisdom dog!
Pastor chris aint fake @ all yall his doin wt God sent him 2 come 2 ds world n do!!!! n sme stupid idiot goin 2 d press 2 cash in on stories dt aint true!! d dude is just after money n tot if bullshit pastor chris name then imma make lotta money!!!!! smebody tell d press em self 2 gt a life!!!
Re: Scandal: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome In South African Trouble! by sunej(m): 8:56am On Apr 10, 2008
lipsrsealed It could be a setup to tanish his image, maybe from competitors. lipsrsealed
Re: Scandal: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome In South African Trouble! by jkpretty(f): 8:58am On Apr 10, 2008
Yes! True God said "Judge not"

But this same God has giving us the brain to decipher good from bad.

"There is no smoke without fire"

Amongst the many pastors in Nigeria why shld it be him always on headlines for some atrocities. There's got to be something fishy.
Re: Scandal: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome In South African Trouble! by doracle4(m): 9:04am On Apr 10, 2008
jkpretty:

Yes! True God said "Judge not"

But this same God has giving us the brain to decipher good from bad.

"There is no smoke without fire"

Amongst the many pastors in Nigeria why shld it be him always on headlines for some atrocities. There's got to be something fishy.

Of all the prophets and teaches of Isreal, why did it have to be Jesus Christ?
Re: Scandal: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome In South African Trouble! by jkpretty(f): 9:13am On Apr 10, 2008
d_oracle:

Of all the prophets and teaches of Isreal, why did it have to be Jesus Christ?

Never in his dreams can he be compared to Jesus Christ. Just leave the story of Jesus out of this. I mean is Pastor Chris the only one? How many atrocities have u seen woven round the likes of Oyedepo, Adeboye and some other respectable men of God. He is fake from his head to his toes. I shiver at the sight of men that are so kin of artificial beauty. Talk more of a man of God shocked I'm sure God Isn't proud. angry
Re: Scandal: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome In South African Trouble! by RJazzie: 9:17am On Apr 10, 2008
Quote from texazzpete
Judging from your comments, i'm quite sure some of you people wouldn't mind picketing this guy's house and even physically harming him for daring to speak out.

I cannot speak for the accuracy or truth in this article, but everyone who's been asking for the guy to reveal his identity must be dumb. True or not, he has EVERYTHING to lose by revealing his identity, and if you can't see that then you're beyond help.

Word!
They are all big time dumboooo or Hypocrites!
Re: Scandal: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome In South African Trouble! by doracle4(m): 9:31am On Apr 10, 2008
jkpretty:

Never in his dreams can he be compared to Jesus Christ. Just leave the story of Jesus out of this. I mean is Pastor Chris the only one? How many atrocities have u seen woven round the likes of Oyedepo, Adeboye and some other respectable men of God. He is fake from his head to his toes. I shiver at the sight of men that are so kin of artificial beauty. Talk more of a man of God shocked I'm sure God Isn't proud. angry

I never asked u to compare jesus and Chris. I meant u need to understand u critics will always find a way around the truth to hurt reputations of thise they cant understand. Men who do not fit into our profile are usually beef for those of us who say we are very righteous. Did u know those who criticise u are usally jealous of u or secretly admire u?
Re: Scandal: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome In South African Trouble! by RJazzie: 9:32am On Apr 10, 2008
jkpretty:

lol  cheesy grin grin
Go girl, i feel you pains. I still prefer Chris Okotie to the man (at least we know where he is coming from).
Re: Scandal: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome In South African Trouble! by onyekang1(f): 9:35am On Apr 10, 2008
God alone should be the judge of Oyakhilome's actions wateva dey are though
Re: Scandal: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome In South African Trouble! by chukz4real(m): 9:37am On Apr 10, 2008
what do I have to say to all this! lipsrsealed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Rhapsody Of Realities: A Daily Devotional / Contemplation Seeds From Eckankar / A Library Of The Best 40 Atheist Arguments Against God/religion (NOW WITH PICS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.