Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,788 members, 7,820,761 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:06 PM

Here's The Story Of The World's Smoothest Con Man To Ever Live - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Here's The Story Of The World's Smoothest Con Man To Ever Live (1489 Views)

Nigeria's Most Wanted Con-man In Fresh Trouble / Nigeria's Smoothest Criminal / GLORIA OKON, The Story Of Nigeria’s Most Mysterious Drug Pusher (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Here's The Story Of The World's Smoothest Con Man To Ever Live by spywareczar(m): 8:46pm On Apr 19, 2013
Can you imagine someone offering to sale the National stadium Abuja to you? And you actually fall for it? Well, here is the story of the worlds 'smoothest' con man to ever live.
Ever heard of Count" Victor Lustig?
This guy actually sold the Eiffel tower in Paris at two separate occasion to two separate would-be owners. He was a con man of considerable note. Born in 1890, at age 40 years (1930s) he was already wanted by approximately 45 law enforcement agencies worldwide. He had 25 known aliases and spoke 5 languages.
He actually cunned the almighty Al Capone, themost dreaded American gangster of his time of$5,000 and he was even appreciated for his honesty in the money doubling deal (which he never did) by the lord gangster. He actually convinced Al Capone to invest $50,000 in a stock deal. Lustig kept Capone's money in a safe deposit box for two months, then returned it to him, claiming that the deal had fallen through. Impressed with Lustig's integrity, Capone gave him $5,000. It was, of course, all that Lustig was after.
Can you imagine this guy? in 1925, Count Lustig(as he was popularly known) posed as a government official in Paris, took five businessmen on a tour of the Eiffel Tower, and then "sold" it to one of them as 7300 tonnes of scrap metal; the con went so well, he tried it again soon after.
He was so good at his 'trade' he was actually admired by the secret police. Playing on the wealthy's greed, he actually sold a phony money box to many rich folks on most of his 'fake' trips on sea liners. He had convince themto buy the money box for as much as $10,000 and more, assuring them, they can use it to print money of the highest denominations.
On10 May 1935, out of jealousy, his mistress Billy May made an anonymous call to the federal agents, where Lustig was arrested on charges of counterfeiting. ­ She (his mistress) actually became jealous when she learned of the romance between him and one of his accomplices mistress named Marie.
Though the day before his trial, he managed to escape from the Federal House of Detention in New York City, but he was eventually recaptured 27 days later in Pittsburgh. Lustig pleaded guilty at his trial and was sentenced to 20 years in Alcatraz Island, California.
He contracted pneumonia on March 9, 1947, and died two days later at the Medical Center for Federal Prisoners in Springfield, Missouri. Onhis death certificate his occupation was listed as "apprentice salesman"
Interestingly, he enjoyed his trade so much, he actually wrote the 10 commandments for aspiring con men.

(1) Be a patient listener (it is this, not fast talking, that gets a con-man his coups).

(2)Never look bored.

(3) Wait for the other person to reveal any political opinions, then agree with them.

(4) Let the other person reveal religious views, then have the same ones.

(5) Hint at sex talk, but don’t follow it up unless theother fellow shows a strong interest.

(6) Never discuss illness, unless some special concern is shown.

(7) Never pry into a person’s personal circumstances (they’ll tell you all eventually).

(cool Never boast. Just let your importance be quietlyobvious.

(9) Never be untidy.

(10) Never get drunk.

NB.
Was just wondering if i can find some Lustig out their to con out some wealth from these stingy nigerian wealthy men/politicians, who had rather spend over N300,000 on beer, wine, hotel accommodation, ashawo settlement, meat/fish and tips over a weekend at Sheraton Hotels, Nicon hotel etc. every weekend. While, their family homes still carry thatch roofs and VIP latrines.
Re: Here's The Story Of The World's Smoothest Con Man To Ever Live by Gboliwe: 8:51pm On Apr 19, 2013
Here I was thinking they learnt scamming from Nigerians cheesy
Re: Here's The Story Of The World's Smoothest Con Man To Ever Live by Inik(m): 9:02pm On Apr 19, 2013
Victor lustig was the greatest con man ever with Weil the "yellow kid" coming a close second. When i first read about him through some excerpts in Robert greene"s "48 laws of power" i was amazed and went online to dig out more info about him. It is amazing how he managed to sell the Eiffel tower twice and pocketed the money. In the end crime does not pay, he should have used his knowledge of human psychology and exceptional IQ to fight crime.

2 Likes

Re: Here's The Story Of The World's Smoothest Con Man To Ever Live by musiwa23: 9:08pm On Apr 19, 2013
so you think. i am a con artist. go ask goodluck jonathan.. if he knows my name musiwa..
Re: Here's The Story Of The World's Smoothest Con Man To Ever Live by Gboliwe: 9:12pm On Apr 19, 2013
statement or comment?
Re: Here's The Story Of The World's Smoothest Con Man To Ever Live by Inik(m): 9:27pm On Apr 19, 2013
musiwa23: so you think. i am a con artist. go ask goodluck jonathan.. if he knows my name musiwa..
We have always known that. Musiwa we humbly request that you show us some satellite maps to validate this fact

2 Likes

Re: Here's The Story Of The World's Smoothest Con Man To Ever Live by Nobody: 12:14am On Apr 20, 2013
Didn't read the article though, When I saw con I remembered James Sawyer from LOST cheesy

1 Like

Re: Here's The Story Of The World's Smoothest Con Man To Ever Live by spywareczar(m): 7:26am On Apr 20, 2013
Inik:
We have always known that. Musiwa we humbly request that you show us some satellite maps to validate this fact
musiwa the validator grin
Re: Here's The Story Of The World's Smoothest Con Man To Ever Live by spywareczar(m): 12:50pm On Apr 20, 2013
hornipipe: Didn't read the article though, When I saw con I remembered James Sawyer from LOST cheesy
the read jor grin
Re: Here's The Story Of The World's Smoothest Con Man To Ever Live by bknight: 2:33pm On Apr 20, 2013
Robert Greene generously used him in many explanations in his book "48 laws of power". The sleek count
Re: Here's The Story Of The World's Smoothest Con Man To Ever Live by 175(m): 3:06pm On Apr 20, 2013
musiwa23: so you think. i am a con artist. go ask goodluck jonathan.. if he knows my name musiwa..

Mapomeji. Na who ask u dis one? Abi na u get d whole OLUWOLE for IBadan?

MapMaster. Yeye!!!
Re: Here's The Story Of The World's Smoothest Con Man To Ever Live by Nobody: 3:35pm On Apr 20, 2013
OP, google Soapy Smith
Re: Here's The Story Of The World's Smoothest Con Man To Ever Live by Itoroetti(m): 3:41pm On Apr 20, 2013
D guy had high level of IQ but emotional intelligent caught up with him.
Re: Here's The Story Of The World's Smoothest Con Man To Ever Live by Nobody: 3:46pm On Apr 20, 2013
spywareczar: the read jor grin
I don't think I have time for the epistle, I clicked on the thread cos I saw con. grin
Re: Here's The Story Of The World's Smoothest Con Man To Ever Live by spywareczar(m): 8:30pm On Apr 20, 2013
hornipipe: I don't think I have time for the epistle, I clicked on the thread cos I saw con. grin
oya speed off b4 I change my mind grin grin
Re: Here's The Story Of The World's Smoothest Con Man To Ever Live by Nobody: 11:27pm On Apr 20, 2013
spywareczar: oya speed off b4 I change my mind grin grin
grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Follow Up To My Candid View On Biafra By Carol Munday / Fresh Plot Against Gov Amechi / Tinubu, Saraki Are ‘backing Buhari’ For Apc’s Presidential Ticket

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.