Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,772 members, 7,817,143 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:01 AM

Weddings Are The Absolute Worst - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Weddings Are The Absolute Worst (959 Views)

The Absolute Worst Names In This Section Starting with Rapmoney / The 14 Absolute Best Things About Dating A Short Guy / D Things Happening In Weddings Surprises Me Check Out Dis Pic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Weddings Are The Absolute Worst by redcliff: 7:57pm On Apr 20, 2013
I love going for events, but weddings? I don’t like them. Not anymore at least. I do not like weddings because it is another indication of how people are becoming even less social.

A long long time ago, many, many years ago, weddings used to be a place where a pretty young missy (such as myself) could go to get introduced to a prospective boyfriend, suitor or after much prayer and intercession, husband. But what do we have today?

A circus, I tell you.

Back in the day, weddings were just about Cake and hanging out. Nowadays in weddings, you have

a. dancing competition

b. food sampling

c. wine tasting

d. phone window shopping

e. wig/weave exhibition

Gone are the days when girls will dress nicely, the guys look dapper and everybody just knew that along with the bride and groom, everyone else was there to hook up in the Lord’s good name.

You’d walk in, get introduced to people you haven’t met before and start a nice normal conversation along the lines of whether they were single and if they were, had the Lord led them in the direction of changing that soon?

All that good stuff is gone. Today, you stroll into the wedding with a group of friends (still dressed to the nines, thanks to the gods) and you take a cursory survey of the reception hall (because people hardly attend the church services anymore, including you reading this and shaking your head self righteously) then you walk over to the table closest to those you think you can have a conversation with.

When you’re well positioned in a way that allows you see and be seen, you are waiting for something good to happen. But no, smart phones come out. That’s not bad, at least it’s their phone and it’s still a free country (assuming you’re not in North Korea). What just takes it too far is when they begin to take self shots.

Why?

Growing up, occasions like weddings were places where people come to socialize, but the scene has changed, and everyone is so self absorbed. They keep talking to people they already know on their phones and are not too keen on meeting anyone new.

What’s worse, all the grooms’ men are always married. Or, as soon as the reception begins, you see one girl following them about with a diamond ring on her middle left finger giving everyone else the evil the stink eye just because you are sitting alone looking beautiful trying to locate someone you know or would like to know.

In her mind now, you are out to get her man. (We get the message, you are guarding your property)

Then, the single, unattached guys come with dates. Technically, even if they don’t already know it, by coming with an ‘innocent’ date for a wedding, they have already been bookmarked on that girl’s list as ‘introduce to Mama as soon as possible’.

They don’t know this anyway, so all they do is sit, stare at their phones and engage in wine tasting and food sampling. Once in a while they do look around with the look of a trapped animal, smile and go back to their messaging; it’s probably something like this:

Guy at wedding: Guy, I just saw one fine babe.

Guy not at the wedding: Ehn, where?

Guy at wedding: At the wedding I’m at na.

Guy not at the wedding: Ehn? Is she looking at you?

Guy at wedding: Yes, she just smiled at me

Guy not at Wedding: Ah. Smiled? Is she batting her eyelashes?

Guy at wedding: Yes, I think so.

Guy not at Wedding: is she waving at you?

Guy at wedding: Yes

Guy not at wedding: Na wa o. She dey find husband.

Guy at wedding: Hian, Which kind? I’m still young o. I’m just 37

Guy not at the wedding: It’s true, yarn am small, then collect her number but you no go call am o…

etc!

Oh the evil that men do!

So you’re sitting at the wedding, staring at your phone, and then it’s time to dance. Don’t even bother. Idealy, it’s supposed to be that moment when magic happens. All the food sampled and wine tasted are supposed to have loosened tongues and severly lowered inhibitions. Anything can happen. And anything does.

Anything being 3 or 4 other girls who are quite able and extremely willing to dance far better than you are.

Shake shake shake; sweat sweat sweat; bump bump bump; grind grind grind, Kurkere, Azonto,

Alingo…

At the end of the day, you’re still alone, and someone stole your souvenirs when you were busy checking out guys.

I seriously think the fabric of socializing is getting ripped apart by social media and online communication, I fear that people are becoming more and more uninterested in using their mouths to ask a lonely girl at a wedding whether she wants to dance, or go for a drink, or possibly get married. Maybe?

source

Re: Weddings Are The Absolute Worst by mikolo80: 11:32pm On Apr 20, 2013
DUDE,THERE'S A REASON ITS CALLED 'SOCIAL' MEDIA.GET ONLINE AND SOCIALIZE THERE.
STOP LIVING IN THE STONE AGE
Re: Weddings Are The Absolute Worst by tpia5: 1:01am On Apr 21, 2013
men are starting to look better dressed than women.
Re: Weddings Are The Absolute Worst by Exponental(m): 1:21am On Apr 21, 2013
Can someone pls summarise dat textbook
Re: Weddings Are The Absolute Worst by flexshop(m): 3:59am On Apr 21, 2013
Bobo came, bobo saw, bobo conquered......... grin grin grin

Pls summarise angry
Re: Weddings Are The Absolute Worst by redcliff: 7:45am On Apr 21, 2013
Exponental: Can someone pls summarise dat textbook

[size=14pt]the textbook is worth reading.[/size]
Re: Weddings Are The Absolute Worst by Nobody: 7:46am On Apr 21, 2013
flexshop: Bobo came, bobo saw, bobo conquered......... grin grin grin

Pls summarise angry
why are you nairalanders this mentally lazy.something that is not even half of a sheet of an higher education notebook

@ op i have once brooded over what you typed here even before you opened this thread and i can tell you i have observed that they are all true.the truth of the matter is that people go to wedding for different reasons e.g to show off,to see what miss a wore,to see the latest lace or ankara in town,to see how the bride/groom did their party,to look for husbands etc however the sad truth is that that is the negative effect of globalization and industrialization which has taken over our relationship skills. Many people are no longer intrested in making new friends,communicating verbally at wedding etc.people are so uptight and all especially ladies,but that doesnt stop me from attending weddings.i for one i am a friendly person and i have a way of bringing people out of their shell or out of this uptight aura.i try that with both genders and all but when i get to talk with the men and i am like what of your wife and kids (to subtly find out if he is married,most of them will say,ha she's fine o,she is such a lovely woman,here,see her picture and i am smiling feigning like am happy or impressed but deep in my mind am like wtf,so this one is taken again and so after the wedding and he calls again,i dont pick up and forget about him).i have even agreed to be a chief brides maid to so many of my friends and cousins but alas,i am still so single,lol cheesy but what i encourage myself with is that its just a phase,a temporary one.as a matter of fact i am even comming from a friends wedding as i am typing,so...
Re: Weddings Are The Absolute Worst by Nobody: 7:50am On Apr 21, 2013
Then again i have discovered that eligible/unmarried men dont really like going for weddings,they prefer sitting at home watching football on a saturday morning or afternoon.the ones that go are really close friends of the bride or groom or their relatives,the married ones are there either because their wives compelled,begged or forced them to go and they are only there to satify their wives so that peace will reign

1 Like

Re: Weddings Are The Absolute Worst by Nobody: 9:11am On Apr 21, 2013
tpia@:
men are starting to look better dressed than women.
True. Probably because most women think it's about exposing thighr and humongous cleavage.
Re: Weddings Are The Absolute Worst by redcliff: 2:56pm On Apr 25, 2013
kulyie: Then again i have discovered that eligible/unmarried men dont really like going for weddings,they prefer sitting at home watching football on a saturday morning or afternoon.the ones that go are really close friends of the bride or groom or their relatives,the married ones are there either because their wives compelled,begged or forced them to go and they are only there to satify their wives so that peace will reign

lol. i am guilty as charged sir. looooooooool

(1) (Reply)

"How Women Hand-pick The Men They Date" / What Would You Do??? / See The First Photos Of Annie & Tuface Idibia's New Baby Girl

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.