Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,243 members, 7,849,891 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 11:07 AM

Achebe's Burial On May-23 – South-East Governors Announce - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Achebe's Burial On May-23 – South-East Governors Announce (4409 Views)

Fulani Herdsmen: South-east Governors In Abuja Over Attacks / South East Governors Meeting In Owerri (Photo) / Fresh Crisis Looms In Rivers Amaechi Hold LG Polls On May 23, PDP Against Move (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Achebe's Burial On May-23 – South-East Governors Announce by ninja4life(m): 4:43pm On Apr 23, 2013
RIP great icon.i kind of agree with okija juju why waste long time just to bury d icon why?pls dont tell me its d culture of d igbos because most of we africans hav lost our culture,tradition and religion so dont make a fuss out of dat,is christianity a traditional religion of d igbos?NO but now its their religion so why do u practise it?:let d man be buried and laid to rest cos d tradition we ought to follow we do neglect it d unimportant ones like wasting long time b4 burying d dead dats d one we practice pure rubbish.btw i'm a yoruba and its also common among us except SOME FEW muslims.
Re: Achebe's Burial On May-23 – South-East Governors Announce by Nobody: 5:31pm On Apr 23, 2013
Achebe's corpse shouldn't be of such worry to anyone unless his deceased state affects you physically via voodoo.

I would just keep it moving.
Re: Achebe's Burial On May-23 – South-East Governors Announce by Nobody: 5:33pm On Apr 23, 2013
No culture is stagnant.

If the practice is highly adopted in Igbo land TODAY and it causes no harm to anyone, zip it up and keep it moving.

ninja4life: RIP great icon.i kind of agree with okija juju why waste long time just to bury d icon why?pls dont tell me its d culture of d igbos because most of we africans hav lost our culture,tradition and religion so dont make a fuss out of dat,is christianity a traditional religion of d igbos?NO but now its their religion so why do u practise it?:let d man be buried and laid to rest cos d tradition we ought to follow we do neglect it d unimportant ones like wasting long time b4 burying d dead dats d one we practice pure rubbish.btw i'm a yoruba and its also common among us except SOME FEW muslims.
Re: Achebe's Burial On May-23 – South-East Governors Announce by Nobody: 5:37pm On Apr 23, 2013
Unless it is you or your relatives that are dead and in the mortuary, you shouldn't burst a vein over trivialties like this

Okija_juju: Just bury the guy already!! Jeez!! angry

Africans make a fuss out of everything.

Magaret Tatcher died on the 8th of April, she was buried on the 17th of April.. 2013

Chinua Achebe Died on the 21st of March 2013.. Till now, he is yet to be buried.

Arrant nonsense.. Africans place so much priorities on the most irrelevant things.. They are prolly in meetings budgeting our limited and scare resources (whatever is left after their lootings) on how to block and stop all economic activities in all the Eastern states, parade his corpse all around town and build a useless edifice that they will name after him.

How about they simply dig the ground and lay him to rest.. Then let posterity honour him.

Re: Achebe's Burial On May-23 – South-East Governors Announce by Zonacom(m): 5:54pm On Apr 23, 2013
Mr X sounds inteligent mostimes but lacks wisdom. Mr X prefers clinging to his belief even when its stupid and makes him an enemy to many. Mr X so much wants his opinion to be noted therefore he 'bolds' his posts and furnish them with pictures. He so much uses swear and vulgar words just to sound 'hard'. Mr X is an old man who talks like a kid, no wonder he has no respect for his elders. Mr X so much likes attention drawn to him. How i wish Mr X would first of all think well before he writes

1 Like

Re: Achebe's Burial On May-23 – South-East Governors Announce by Nobody: 5:58pm On Apr 23, 2013
Zona.com:
Mr X sounds inteligent mostimes but lacks wisdom. Mr X prefers clinging to his belief even when its stupid and makes him an enemy to many. Mr X so much wants his opinion to be noted therefore he 'bolds' his posts and furnish them with pictures. He so much uses swear and vulgar words just to sound 'hard'. Mr X is an old man who talks like a kid, no wonder he has no respect for his elders. Mr X so much likes attention drawn to him. How i wish Mr X would first of all think well before he writes
lol! very funny
Re: Achebe's Burial On May-23 – South-East Governors Announce by zibe(m): 6:59pm On Apr 23, 2013
Why would they allow the same politicians that Achebe was against, to set a date for his burial? Achebe wouldn't want that. The family should know better!
Re: Achebe's Burial On May-23 – South-East Governors Announce by igboboy1(m): 8:13pm On Apr 23, 2013
Okija_juju:

The Man lived virtually half of his life in the U.S.

If he were to be buried in the U.S, by now, he would be 6 feet under.

Anuofia...Achebe died at over 80 years of age.
He had his accident in the late 80's and then relocated to the U.S. How does this translate as him living half of his life in the U.S?

Biko ga nodani n'ebe ha na nyor inshi.....onye nzuzu
Re: Achebe's Burial On May-23 – South-East Governors Announce by Nobody: 8:18pm On Apr 23, 2013
Okija_juju: Just bury the guy already!! Jeez!! angry

Africans make a fuss out of everything.

Magaret Tatcher died on the 8th of April, she was buried on the 17th of April.. 2013

Chinua Achebe Died on the 21st of March 2013.. Till now, he is yet to be buried.

Arrant nonsense.. Africans place so much priorities on the most irrelevant things.. They are prolly in meetings budgeting our limited and scare resources (whatever is left after their lootings) on how to block and stop all economic activities in all the Eastern states, parade his corpse all around town and build a useless edifice that they will name after him.

How about they simply dig the ground and lay him to rest.. Then let posterity honour him.

Thats how we do it in igboland. So na cos Magareth was buried soon after death, we should change our customs?
When your wife gives birth, protest your mother-in-law shouldnt come for omugwo because Tony Blair's mother-in -law didnt do it.
Do only white wedding, dont do igba nkwu because Obama didnt do it.
If Africans are the ones that rush burials, your likes will still say we dont value our people.
Mmadu nogide nnoo o na-akogheri
Re: Achebe's Burial On May-23 – South-East Governors Announce by Okijajuju1(m): 9:21am On Apr 24, 2013
ngozievergreen:
Thats how we do it in igboland. So na cos Magareth was buried soon after death, we should change our customs?
When your wife gives birth, protest your mother-in-law shouldnt come for omugwo because Tony Blair's mother-in -law didnt do it.
Do only white wedding, dont do igba nkwu because Obama didnt do it.
If Africans are the ones that rush burials, your likes will still say we dont value our people.
Mmadu nogide nnoo o na-akogheri

[b]Nwayi ge nti

Keeping a corpse for long in the mortuary before burial is not an Igbo custom neither is it a tradition of ours. Your Omugwo analogy does not even begin to apply here, otherwise, we might as well have allowed the Calabars and Yorubas to keep killing twins afterall, its was their custom and just because the brits didnt kill twins that should not have been reason enough to stop them. So please, throw that one in the bin and lets focus on the issue at hand.

Late Ikemba Ojukwu died on the 26th of November 2011, he was buried on the 2nd of March 2012. I didnt mind that because Ojukwu was a politician who was deeply involved with the present and even past governments so it was fine. Achebe on the other hand did not like the government. He didnt hide his dislike of the government even as he turned down several National Awards that were conferred on him by the government. He didnt even participate in regional politics as it were. So now that he is dead, that same government is now the same group that is planning his funeral and fixing the dates. What a pity. If Achebe could speak from the grave, I doubt he would like this at all.

Its not necessarily about the rush or delay in his funeral, its the politics of his funeral rites that irks me.

[/b]
Re: Achebe's Burial On May-23 – South-East Governors Announce by mrperfect(m): 12:01pm On Apr 24, 2013
Thank you for the update, this looks like it will be like Ojukwu owns, this will discourage people as that of ojukwu is something else. People are more than the land itself.
Re: Achebe's Burial On May-23 – South-East Governors Announce by eaglechild: 2:50pm On Apr 24, 2013
Zona.com:
LOL!!
Where X is equal to O....j.....
Re: Achebe's Burial On May-23 – South-East Governors Announce by Nobody: 2:24pm On Apr 25, 2013
Okija_juju:

[b]Nwayi ge nti

Keeping a corpse for long in the mortuary before burial is not an Igbo custom neither is it a tradition of ours. Your Omugwo analogy does not even begin to apply here, otherwise, we might as well have allowed the Calabars and Yorubas to keep killing twins afterall, its was their custom and just because the brits didnt kill twins that should not have been reason enough to stop them. So please, throw that one in the bin and lets focus on the issue at hand.

Late Ikemba Ojukwu died on the 26th of November 2011, he was buried on the 2nd of March 2012. I didnt mind that because Ojukwu was a politician who was deeply involved with the present and even past governments so it was fine. Achebe on the other hand did not like the government. He didnt hide his dislike of the government even as he turned down several National Awards that were conferred on him by the government. He didnt even participate in regional politics as it were. So now that he is dead, that same government is now the same group that is planning his funeral and fixing the dates. What a pity. If Achebe could speak from the grave, I doubt he would like this at all.

Its not necessarily about the rush or delay in his funeral, its the politics of his funeral rites that irks me.

[/b]
i don tell u finish !
Re: Achebe's Burial On May-23 – South-East Governors Announce by igboboy1(m): 7:14am On Apr 26, 2013
hapu okija juju ka o na ko nonsense.....
Re: Achebe's Burial On May-23 – South-East Governors Announce by ecosanders: 11:20am On Apr 26, 2013
grin grin
ngozievergreen:
i don tell u finish !
grin
ngozievergreen:
i don tell u finish !
because u dnt kw wat 2 say again se, abeg d Old Man is begging 2 go 6ft under.
Re: Achebe's Burial On May-23 – South-East Governors Announce by Nobody: 10:14pm On Apr 27, 2013
ecosanders: grin grin grin because u dnt kw wat 2 say again se, abeg d Old Man is begging 2 go 6ft under.
Of course, i dont know what else to tell a learner , moreso, i dont know wat brought u to this topic. Ihe a na-ekwu ebe a abughi maka efuluefu
Re: Achebe's Burial On May-23 – South-East Governors Announce by Nobody: 10:53pm On Apr 27, 2013
Okija_juju:

[b]Nwayi ge nti

[/b]

Bros!!! Where you hear say yoruba people ever killed twins before?
Re: Achebe's Burial On May-23 – South-East Governors Announce by Nobody: 3:11pm On Apr 28, 2013
Lwkmd !!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

(full Story & Photos) Fayemi Explains Why He ‘bought 2 Beds For N50m’. (see Why) / So The Mass Defection, Is Just 15 Senators? Laughable / You Can't Dictate To Us - Arewa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.