Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,747 members, 7,824,149 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:48 AM

Achebe's Burial On May-23 – South-East Governors Announce - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Achebe's Burial On May-23 – South-East Governors Announce (4405 Views)

Fulani Herdsmen: South-east Governors In Abuja Over Attacks / South East Governors Meeting In Owerri (Photo) / Fresh Crisis Looms In Rivers Amaechi Hold LG Polls On May 23, PDP Against Move (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Achebe's Burial On May-23 – South-East Governors Announce by Nobody: 12:16pm On Apr 22, 2013
Achebe For Burial May 23 –South East Governor's

The South-East Governors Forum met in Enugu yesterday and announced May 23, 2013, as burial date for the late literary icon, Professor Chinua Achebe. Chairman of the Forum and Governor of Anambra State, Mr. Peter Obi who announced the date as part of decisions at the meeting, also disclosed that Achebe’s first son was part of the decision.

He told newsmen at the end of a long meeting at the Enugu Government House that “issues of importance to the South-East were discussed; issues like the Enugu international airport, security issues as well the burial of Professor Chinua Achebe were discussed. “I want to announce that the burial will take place on May 23, 2013 and his first son is here with me. “For the international airport, we discussed the impending visit to flag-off the construction.

Speaking to newsmen after the meeting, Achebe’s first son, Mr. Ike Achebe said the South-East governors had indicated that the burial of his father was an important event and that they promised to offer support needed. “And so we are looking forward to working with them. “Mr. President was the first to send his condolence when my father died; Mr. President has also been meeting with me and having a very detailed discussion on what the family wishes.

“I will like to use this opportunity to express my family’s appreciation to the president and members of his cabinet who have worked very hard to ensure we are in constant communication with the president. “My father’s wishes were very much known; and we will all agree that seeing a Nigeria that is fair to its people; a Nigeria that lives up to the expectations of her citizens. A Nigeria that is free of corruption; a Nigeria that looks after her own people.

“His wishes were an enduring one for the country and I think that right up to the end he was interested in ensuring that Nigeria would live up to her potential to help uplift the African people and people everywhere who have suffered for one reason or another. “My father was a caring family man. Although, he was a global citizen he always made us feel he was a father and husband first. So he was a wonderful family man.”

Personalities at the meeting were governors Martin Elechi of Ebonyi, Sullivan Chime, Enugu, Theodore Orji, Abia and Peter Obi. Imo State Governor, Rochas Okorocha was represented by his deputy, Prince Eze Madumere.

Source: http://sunnewsonline.com/new/cover/achebe-for-burial-may-23-seast-govs/

1 Like

Re: Achebe's Burial On May-23 – South-East Governors Announce by alexchiny: 12:54pm On Apr 22, 2013
Nice development!
Re: Achebe's Burial On May-23 – South-East Governors Announce by Nobody: 10:28am On Apr 23, 2013
alexchiny: Nice development!
Yea

1 Like

Re: Achebe's Burial On May-23 – South-East Governors Announce by Policewoman(f): 1:15pm On Apr 23, 2013
RIP Great sage. I pray the burial goes well without any hitches.

1 Like

Re: Achebe's Burial On May-23 – South-East Governors Announce by Nobody: 1:20pm On Apr 23, 2013
Okay oo may his soul rest in parfect peace
Re: Achebe's Burial On May-23 – South-East Governors Announce by Nobody: 1:31pm On Apr 23, 2013
Laa nke oma oke mmadu! ka chineke nabata nkpuru obi gi na eli igwe. umu igbo agaghi echefu gi n 'ihi iheoma imere anyi. Laa n 'udo! cry
Re: Achebe's Burial On May-23 – South-East Governors Announce by 1stola: 1:38pm On Apr 23, 2013
Goodbye great man. cry cry cry
Re: Achebe's Burial On May-23 – South-East Governors Announce by ednut1(m): 1:38pm On Apr 23, 2013
wetin concern dem na, did achebe send dem message, onyiara pple
Re: Achebe's Burial On May-23 – South-East Governors Announce by Okijajuju1(m): 1:39pm On Apr 23, 2013
Just bury the guy already!! Jeez!! angry

Africans make a fuss out of everything.

Magaret Tatcher died on the 8th of April, she was buried on the 17th of April.. 2013

Chinua Achebe Died on the 21st of March 2013.. Till now, he is yet to be buried.

Arrant nonsense.. Africans place so much priorities on the most irrelevant things.. They are prolly in meetings budgeting our limited and scare resources (whatever is left after their lootings) on how to block and stop all economic activities in all the Eastern states, parade his corpse all around town and build a useless edifice that they will name after him.

How about they simply dig the ground and lay him to rest.. Then let posterity honour him.

3 Likes

Re: Achebe's Burial On May-23 – South-East Governors Announce by Nobody: 2:00pm On Apr 23, 2013
Okija_juju: Just bury the guy already!! Jeez!! angry

Magaret Tatcher died on the 8th of April, she was buried on the 17th of April.. 2013

Chinua Achebe Died on the 21st of March 2013.. Till now, he is yet to be buried.

Arrant nonsense.. Africans place so much priorities on the most irrelevant things.. They are prolly in meetings budgeting our limited and scare resources (whatever is left after their lootings) on how to block and stop all economic activities in all the Eastern states, parade his corpse all around town and build a useless edifice that they will name after him.

How about they simply dig the ground and lay him to rest.. Then let posterity honour him.

Dont make too much fuss about this, when ur father die bury him the next day and ppl will clap for u for that. Generation of bastardized custom.!

8 Likes

Re: Achebe's Burial On May-23 – South-East Governors Announce by greaterlove(m): 2:07pm On Apr 23, 2013

A million likes
Re: Achebe's Burial On May-23 – South-East Governors Announce by henchamb(m): 2:11pm On Apr 23, 2013
mumu do you know how many meetings that took place before Margret was buried. poverty can make one talk from both sides of his mouth. RIP Achebe

Re: Achebe's Burial On May-23 – South-East Governors Announce by Okijajuju1(m): 2:11pm On Apr 23, 2013
kayci_d77:

Dont make too much fuss about this, when ur father die bury him the next day and ppl will clap for u for that. Generation of bastardized custom.!

I dont get you!!

So when my father eventually passes, I should just chuck him in a refridgerator somewhere and wait for 6 months before burying him.. WHY?!

What purpose does i serve to keep a corpse lying in the mortuary for so long?!

The Man lived virtually half of his life in the U.S.

If he were to be buried in the U.S, by now, he would be 6 feet under.

What exactly has kept Achebe above ground for so long?! Is it money?! What exactly?!

One person just talked about meetings. WHAT are they discussing in these meeting except how deep the hole should be dug?!

I'm sure getting him a god casket wouldnt be hard.

I'm sure alot of Undertakers would gladly do his burial for free sef.

You seem to have a reason for supporting the elongated refridgeration of Achebes Corpse, can you please share it with us..

3 Likes

Re: Achebe's Burial On May-23 – South-East Governors Announce by dulphines: 2:26pm On Apr 23, 2013
henchamb: mumu do you know how many meetings that took place before Margret was buried. poverty can make one talk from both sides of his mouth. RIP Achebe

Why can't you be polite for once?
Re: Achebe's Burial On May-23 – South-East Governors Announce by Agbesky: 2:29pm On Apr 23, 2013
igbo people with their wahala....see as Achebe first son dey talk about Mr Jonathan as a good man...him go don use him papa burial arrangements make some money....when rubbish go end for this naija sef
Re: Achebe's Burial On May-23 – South-East Governors Announce by Nobody: 2:29pm On Apr 23, 2013
1000000000 likes for Okija Juju's post!

I swear, Nigerians have an unholy sexxual relationship with the mortuary. I mean why else will a corpse be left for 3 months after death before burial? If you want a grand ceremony, why not just bury the corpse immediately and then call together people to help you squander the wealth in the name of burial ceremony?

When I bury my dad, tradition be damned. At most a week in the morgue to sort out things. Old village people I don't know can't dictate to me what to do.
Re: Achebe's Burial On May-23 – South-East Governors Announce by ZeusI: 2:29pm On Apr 23, 2013

Can you define culture dude? Global formal education is currently a farce, they tend to discard culture and value while training a bunch of sightless and cultureless slaves!
Re: Achebe's Burial On May-23 – South-East Governors Announce by Goodking(m): 2:29pm On Apr 23, 2013
I hope that the date will not be changed, so that I am sure that I will be there live. R.I.P. --> Achebe...
Re: Achebe's Burial On May-23 – South-East Governors Announce by chrisdstar: 2:30pm On Apr 23, 2013

Margret thatcher's burial caused £10 million,what is your problem?,do u have a man like him in your village.do u knw he is the very 1st man American senate honoured in death in Africa?
Maybe wen u die,ur pple will just bury yu same day with a mat.............learn to respect greatness,so you can achieve in life.

3 Likes

Re: Achebe's Burial On May-23 – South-East Governors Announce by Nobody: 2:48pm On Apr 23, 2013
Okija_juju:

I dont get you!!

So when my father eventually passes, I should just chuck him in a refridgerator somewhere and wait for 6 months before burying him.. WHY?!

What purpose does i serve to keep a corpse lying in the mortuary for so long?!

The Man lived virtually half of his life in the U.S.

If he were to be buried in the U.S, by now, he would be 6 feet under.

What exactly has kept Achebe above ground for so long?! Is it money?! What exactly?!

One person just talked about meetings. WHAT are they discussing in these meeting except how deep the hole should be dug?!

I'm sure getting him a god casket wouldnt be hard.

I'm sure alot of Undertakers would gladly do his burial for free sef.

You seem to have a reason for supporting the elongated refridgeration of Achebes Corpse, can you please share it with us..
sometimes i do wonder if you are an igbo man. you seem not to understand the traditions of ndi igbo. If Achebe 's family decides to keep his corpse in a morgue for one year, e no concern you. eventually, he must be buried. Let the family decide what and how they want to bury him.
Re: Achebe's Burial On May-23 – South-East Governors Announce by Okijajuju1(m): 2:52pm On Apr 23, 2013
berem: sometimes i do wonder if you are an igbo man. you seem not to understand the traditions of ndi igbo. If Achebe 's family decides to keep his corpse in a morgue for one year, e no concern you. eventually, he must be buried. Let the family decide what and how they want to bury him.

I decided to attend to you first as my favorite Ada Owerri..

Obviously, the matter is no longer in his family's hand but that of the Government/Governors.
Igbo Land has no tradition that says you should keep a corpse in the Morgue for as long as you please, if anything, Laws that stipulates a short burial period from time of death is now even being passed in many communities.

All I am saying is simply, cut the bullshit already and lay the man to rest. If Achebe could say something, I doubt he would be happy lying inside a refridgerator whilsts some Governors/Family members and co look for how to turn his funeral into a fan fair.

1 Like

Re: Achebe's Burial On May-23 – South-East Governors Announce by Okijajuju1(m): 2:54pm On Apr 23, 2013
chrisdstar:

Margret thatcher's burial caused £10 million,what is your problem?,do u have a man like him in your village.do u knw he is the very 1st man American senate honoured in death in Africa?
Maybe wen u die,ur pple will just bury yu same day with a mat.............learn to respect greatness,so you can achieve in life.

And respect for greatness is keeping him locked inside a fridge for months?!

You must really have a f`ucked up definition of respect. And what does the cost of Maggies funeral got to do with anything?! Like seriously?!
Re: Achebe's Burial On May-23 – South-East Governors Announce by HighChief4(m): 3:04pm On Apr 23, 2013
Okija_juju:

And respect for greatness is keeping him locked inside a fridge for months?!

You must really have a f`ucked up definition of respect. And what does the cost of Maggies funeral got to do with anything?! Like seriously?!

Enyi shut up!! Achebe is not just an ordinary person that you would bury just like that. I wonder why you guys always compare everything we do to that of the Westerners. We have our own traditions and great men are not just buried like that. I wonder why you are so concerned. You seem to hate anything Igbos do and have no respect for any of Ndigbo great men.

So many people will be coming for his burial, so time is needed to put things in place, like roads, accommodations, security et al. So if you have nothing to say, you keep quiet.

5 Likes

Re: Achebe's Burial On May-23 – South-East Governors Announce by Nobody: 3:05pm On Apr 23, 2013
Agbesky: igbo people with their wahala....see as Achebe first son dey talk about Mr Jonathan as a good man...him go don use him papa burial arrangements make some money....when rubbish go end for this naija sef

Na igbo people with our wahala. so e no concern you make you free us na. Or do the name "igbo" turns you on?
Re: Achebe's Burial On May-23 – South-East Governors Announce by Nobody: 3:07pm On Apr 23, 2013
RiP great man...
Re: Achebe's Burial On May-23 – South-East Governors Announce by Okijajuju1(m): 3:12pm On Apr 23, 2013
High_Chief:

Enyi shut up!! Achebe is not just an ordinary person that you would bury just like that. I wonder why you guys always compare everything we do to that of the Westerners. We have our own traditions and great men are not just buried like that. I wonder why you are so concerned. You seem to hate anything Igbos do and have no respect for any of Ndigbo great men.

So many people will be coming for his burial, so time is needed to put things in place, like roads, accommodations, security et al. So if you have nothing to say, you keep quiet.

Nwokem mechie onu there!!

What nonsense are you talking about?! Even I paid my well written respects to Achebe when he passed on. He was a remarkable man who stood and lived for what he believed in. Half of these Governors that are planning his funeral belonged to the same government that he turned down a National award from twice!!

Chinua is a Man i respect way more than even the late Ojukwu
I understand putting things in place, but for how long?! How do you think Chinua would feel knowing that it was because of his funeral that the government would tar the road to his village or provide security in his village?!

Obu na ima onye Chinua bu, I' ga ma na oma'n di happy with ife ha ji ozu ya eme. Si guo ana ni'e ya Osiso!

1 Like

Re: Achebe's Burial On May-23 – South-East Governors Announce by ednut1(m): 4:02pm On Apr 23, 2013
Kingscee:
1MBECILE, you don take your medication b4 coming 2 nairaland today?
d med gas finished
Re: Achebe's Burial On May-23 – South-East Governors Announce by eaglechild: 4:30pm On Apr 23, 2013

Using Thatcher as an anology is a pretty lame thing to do.
'Cause a lot of fuss was made about her burial which also cost a lot of tax payers money and just like Achebe she was a national icon.
In otherwords u did not make any point with your blinding bolded words.
Re: Achebe's Burial On May-23 – South-East Governors Announce by eaglechild: 4:31pm On Apr 23, 2013

(1) (2) (Reply)

2019: Uproar As President Buhari Allegedly Plots Osinbajo's Sack / Here Is The Video Of Fulani Couple Celebrating Plateau Massacre / Aba Residents Preparing To Vote Atiku- Obi Before Election Call Off- Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.