Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,032 members, 7,838,582 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 05:39 AM

When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You (12913 Views)

Photo: What Would You Do If You Came Home And Saw Your Child Like This!! / Isn't This Strange? / Are Intelligent Women Less Likely To Want Children? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by coogar: 11:02pm On Apr 23, 2013
ileobatojo:
I was too busy schooling you in biology o! Na so the ileoba come burn. But no worries, it is now more beautiful than before! grin

you can have the biology, i'd do the math! grin
i wouldn't trust a woman that allowed an entire palace to go in flames with my finances. grin
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by Nobody: 11:04pm On Apr 23, 2013
coogar:
it's the same thing, bro!
stripping is a profession recognised by the government - majority of these women are mothers with husbands. their husbands come to pick them after close of work and that is that!

i choose the book, my kids choose which chapter suits them.
kids are flexible. if you let them know they have options outside the academic echelon, they would take advantage and skip classes. over my dead body would i allow such.

However, if the kid isn't mentally capable to deal with the school thing - are you going to open his/her head and dump the textbooks there? grin

Some people aren't just gifted and there's nothing you can do about that...Just help them discover their unique talents from a young age and enroll them at a special school...
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by Nobody: 11:06pm On Apr 23, 2013
coogar:

i wouldn't trust a woman that allowed an entire palace to go in flames with my finances. grin

If you're good in maths - then you shouldn't have a problem with subjects like: economics, biology, financial accounting, geography, physics, ICT, and chemistry, tbh...
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by coogar: 11:10pm On Apr 23, 2013
ShyM-X:

However, if the kid isn't mentally capable to deal with the school thing - are you going to open his/her head and dump the textbooks there? grin

he would - he's not a dullard by default!
children are very manipulative. if you leave a small opening, they would take full advantage of it. never suck up to them that much to make such critical decisions. what do kids know?

Some people aren't just gifted and there's nothing you can do about that...Just help them discover their unique talents from a young age and enroll them at a special school...

one of my nephews suddenly became lazy to work. his score in math were horribly low. my sister used all the known methods but nothing improved so she told me. i visited them one day and i asked the boy what his greatest wish would be. he said he wanted the new DS. i told him if he scores 100 in math, he would get it. he didn't score 100, he scored 90 something but i still gave him what he wanted and that's how it's been since then. the monent he learnt there's an incentive attached to doing well in his math, he put in the effort!

you can call it bribery or whatever - but my method works!

1 Like

Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by Nobody: 11:11pm On Apr 23, 2013
coogar:

Lols!! Sign me up as your accountant, don't worry, I'll manage those finances real good! Hey, I can calculate how many louboutins it takes to buy a birkin! grin
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by coogar: 11:14pm On Apr 23, 2013
ShyM-X:

If you're good in maths - then you shouldn't have a problem with subjects like: economics, biology, financial accounting, geography, physics, ICT, and chemistry, tbh...

i hate any subject that has to do with writing theories.
the evil teachers just grade with their discretion. however with math, chemistry, physics, further maths, etc - you get full marks if you get the answer. no discretion is involved. besides, i am too lazy to cram notes and label a female reproductive system.

give me polynomials, log theory or mechanics and my day is made!

ileobatojo:
Lols!! Sign me up as your accountant, don't worry, I'll manage those finances real good! Hey, I can calculate how many louboutins it takes to buy a birkin! grin

i am starting to think you are an arsonist!
you deliberately burnt the king's palace yourself - the fire outbreak wasn't an accident. calculating louboutinis with my hard-earned wages? what an appetising offer but PASS!
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by biolabee(m): 11:18pm On Apr 23, 2013
coogar:

he would adapt!
kids are very flexible - God bless their brains. a kid below 10 can learn 8 different languages without stress. it is what you instil in kids that they would learn. forget all those he might not necessarily be academic. smacking drilled out all the non-academic talents out of me and i embraced academic. what are you talking about? no vacation for me if i don't score 100% in math. grin cheesy

Tiger Dad... well your name is coogar cheesy cheesy grin
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by coogar: 11:21pm On Apr 23, 2013
biolabee:
Tiger Dad... well your name is coogar cheesy cheesy grin

hahahaha
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by Nobody: 11:23pm On Apr 23, 2013
coogar:
he would - he's not a dullard by default!
children are very manipulative. if you leave a small opening, they would take full advantage of it. never suck up to them that much to make such critical decisions. what do kids know?

one of my nephews suddenly became lazy to work. his score in math were horribly low. my sister used all the known methods but nothing improved so she told me. i visited them one day and i asked the boy what his greatest wish would be. he said he wanted the new DS. i told him if he scores 100 in math, he would get it. he didn't score 100, he scored 90 something but i still gave him what he wanted and that's how it's been since then. the monent he learnt there's an incentive attached to doing well in his math, he put in the effort!

you can call it bribery or whatever - but my method works!

Ok, I'll use a real life example to buttress... Whilst I was in uni, I had a naija guy in my class(one for 5 black guys in a class of about 200 students)...He's a hard-worker and he obviously reads a lot from the way he answers every question the tutors ask in class... However, when it comes to TCAs and coursework, he's a perennial D, E, and F student... That shows some people just don't have what it takes, no matter how hard they try....
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by Nobody: 11:25pm On Apr 23, 2013
coogar:
i hate any subject that has to do with writing theories.
the evil teachers just grade with their discretion. however with math, chemistry, physics, further maths, etc - you get full marks if you get the answer. no discretion is involved. besides, i am too lazy to cram notes and label a female reproductive system.

give me polynomials, log theory or mechanics and my day is made!

Those subjects I listed require the same high cognitive skills you need for maths, hence why I said you shouldn't have a problem with them... Once you can grasp the concept behind them - they're are all pretty straight-forward... Unlike subjects where you have to read a trailer load of books and verbose... grin
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by coogar: 11:27pm On Apr 23, 2013
ShyM-X:

Ok, I'll use a real life example to buttress... Whilst I was in uni, I had a naija guy in my class(one for 5 black guys in a class of about 200 students)...He's a hard-worker and he obviously reads a lot from the way he answers every question the tutors ask in class... However, when it comes to TCAs and coursework, he's a perennial D, E, and F student... That shows some people just don't have what it takes, no matter how hard they try....

he's just a bag of nerves!
i had many classmates like that - they were disgustingly weak under tension/pressure that they literally forget all they have learnt! it's more of a confidence issue than intellectual. the moment they leave the examination room, their memory comes back to life!

ShyM-X:

Those subjects I listed require the same high cognitive skills you need for maths, hence why I said you shouldn't have a problem with them... Once you can grasp the concept behind them - they're are all pretty straight-forward... Unlike subjects where you have to read a trailer load of books and verbose... grin

biology is a useless subject!
i hated it more than anything i have ever encountered. i could kill the dude that put plant science in biology - very depressing aspect - xylem, phloem, and reh reh reh. i am not good or i am not interested in anything that has way too many words than numbers.
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by Nobody: 11:34pm On Apr 23, 2013
coogar:
he's just a bag of nerves!
i had many classmates like that - they were disgustingly weak under tension/pressure that they literally forget all they have learnt! it's more of a confidence issue than intellectual. the moment they leave the examination room, their memory comes back to life!

Lmao!!! I bloody love the way coogar always turn the corners!!!

Pressure in doing coursework, no? The guy just doesn't have what it takes but he's a decent bloke - God bless him... grin

biology is a useless subject!
i hated it more than anything i have ever encountered. i could kill the dude that put plant science in biology - very depressing aspect - xylem, phloem, and reh reh reh. i am not good or i am not interested in anything that has way too many words than numbers.

Biology is arguably the closest you can't get to real life within the four walls of a classroom... It deals with things you can feel, touch, see etc.. grin
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by biolabee(m): 11:37pm On Apr 23, 2013
grin grin cheesy cheesy

mitochondrion.. mitosis ,meiosis... bla bla

yuck

i agree on biologys practicality b i like genetics

XX v XY
AA v aa
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by Nobody: 11:42pm On Apr 23, 2013
lastly, let me use sports as well to buttress my point...

You can't force anyone to be the Messi, Ronaldinho, Kobe Bryant, Michael Jordan, Tiger woods, Floyd Mayweather, Sugar Ray Robinson, Muhammed Ali, and Mike Tyson of this world - it's either you have it, or you don't..
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by Nobody: 11:44pm On Apr 23, 2013
biolabee: grin grin cheesy cheesy

mitochondrion.. mitosis ,meiosis... bla bla
yuck

i agree on biologys practicality b i like genetics

XX v XY
AA v aa

Lmao... Osmosis is the greatest word ever!!! grin

We shall judge them based on how they move through a partially permeable membrane!!!

#JudgementDay!! cool
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by coogar: 11:55pm On Apr 23, 2013
ShyM-X:

Lmao!!! I bloody love the way coogar always turn the corners!!!

Pressure in doing coursework, no? The guy just doesn't have what it takes but he's a decent bloke - God bless him... grin

he's lazy then if coursework is his problem!
besides you dunno what he was going through in that period. maybe his parents were separating or

Biology is arguably the closest you can't get to real life within the four walls of a classroom... It deals with things you can feel, touch, see etc.. grin

you can touch phloem and xylem?
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by Nobody: 12:03am On Apr 24, 2013
coogar:

i am starting to think you are an arsonist!
you deliberately burnt the king's palace yourself - the fire outbreak wasn't an accident. calculating louboutinis with my hard-earned wages? what an appetising offer but PASS!

The king had it coming! lipsrsealed

Lol! So you don't appreciate my math prowess eh! Okay o!
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by biolabee(m): 12:05am On Apr 24, 2013
ShyM-X:

Lmao... Osmosis is the greatest word ever!!! grin

We shall judge them based on how they move through a partially permeable membrane!!!

#JudgementDay!! cool

badt guy,, some membranes are meant to be unpermeable o cheesy
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by Nobody: 12:07am On Apr 24, 2013
biolabee:

Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by coogar: 12:08am On Apr 24, 2013
ileobatojo:
The king had it coming! lipsrsealed

Lol! So you don't appreciate my math prowess eh! Okay o!

your math prowess?
lol - you that cannot find the HCF and LCM of a group of numbers. ileoba, prove to me you can solve simultaneous equations before you can have the keys to my vault!
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by Nobody: 12:26am On Apr 24, 2013
coogar:
he's lazy then if coursework is his problem!
besides you dunno what he was going through in that period. maybe his parents were separating or

Lmao.. Cool story, bro..

you can touch phloem and xylem?

Obviously not - hence why I included "etc." at the back of my assertion... However, you can see them with the aid of a microscope..
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by Nobody: 12:27am On Apr 24, 2013
biolabee:

I don't know about that, bro...

Once the "hymen" kicks the bucket - everything shall be "permeable" on the judgement day... grin
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by Nobody: 12:53am On Apr 24, 2013
coogar:

your math prowess?
lol - you that cannot find the HCF and LCM of a group of numbers. ileoba, prove to me you can solve simultaneous equations before you can have the keys to my vault!

See your life? Of course I compute the highly come-on factices (HCF) and the lo and come-on multitudes (LCM) of any numerousity of numbers you can show me. Now hand over those keys!
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by Pimples(m): 12:57am On Apr 24, 2013
salt 1:

Your expectations? I think you're not married yet. Your role as a parent is to help your child reach his God-given potentials, not your expectations.
I suggest you begin early to work on your mind-set and spare yourself unnecessary heartache. Children live their own lives, not the ones the parents want them to live. Occasionally both parents and children may share the same value system
I concur
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by armyofone(m): 2:16am On Apr 24, 2013
damn, those nig biology teacher could make someone have poor intellect anyway grin

osmosis and the one they use fart as example grin

molar mass/conc h2so4 very poor teaching method in nig.
thank goodness I left.
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by Nobody: 2:50am On Apr 24, 2013
He/she just has to be intelligent. He/she has no choice. I'll do my part of getting them a intelligent good father, I owe them that...but after I make sure i do my part, I would now be spending 3 months to teach them simple 1 + 1 shocked shocked Hian! Tufiakwa! undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by topmostg: 7:35am On Apr 24, 2013
yuzedo:
FUNNIEST SHITTT I'VE READ THIS YEAR..... LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! **real tears** grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
how's this funny? So you dey shed tears for laughing's sake abi?
SMH
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by biolabee(m): 8:04am On Apr 24, 2013
ShyM-X:

I don't know about that, bro...

Once the "hymen" kicks the bucket - everything shall be "permeable" on the judgement day... grin

badt guy cheesy
when the hyM-X jams shM-X...

@flytefalls.. just a little fun no harm
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by damiso(f): 8:27am On Apr 24, 2013
Its scary though to think that your child might just not be intellectually sound seriously. cry
I think thats where the onus falls on effort.If your child is a C potential i think without the push or an enabling enviroment they might go down the D or E path.And all these 'experts'dont help,they way they keep harping on about how the early years are very fundamental in a childs academic life,so why wont i put a lil pressure to make sure my child is not another black statistic.Oloun o nije.

Esp in the UK(hubby thinks am paranoid)but i just think academically odds are stacked against black kids.Some of the factors for this have already been mentioned i.e single parenting,poverty and let me add my own Owambe i must belong mentality.When Daddy and mummy just want to work that dead end job(am not looking down on any job oh its the motive am looking at i respect the working man)with all the hours God can send so they can buy gold and do 40th birthday party and change 6 times,what time is there is to monitor the childs progress.I have aunties moan to me about going to parent evenings Like really?If you dont go for parent evenings how will you know where your child needs help?

As a christian though,i think asking God for wisdom on how to raise a well rounded child who is able to reach his/her full potentials is important.
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by biolabee(m): 9:52am On Apr 24, 2013
damiso: Its scary though to think that your child might just not be intellectually sound seriously. cry
I think thats where the onus falls on effort.If your child is a C potential i think without the push or an enabling enviroment they might go down the D or E path.And all these 'experts'dont help,they way they keep harping on about how the early years are very fundamental in a childs academic life,so why wont i put a lil pressure to make sure my child is not another black statistic.Oloun o nije.

Esp in the UK(hubby thinks am paranoid)but i just think academically odds are stacked against black kids.Some of the factors for this have already been mentioned i.e single parenting,poverty and let me add my own Owambe i must belong mentality.When Daddy and mummy just want to work that dead end job(am not looking down on any job oh its the motive am looking at i respect the working man)with all the hours God can send so they can buy gold and do 40th birthday party and change 6 times,what time is there is to monitor the childs progress.I have aunties moan to me about going to parent evenings Like really?If you dont go for parent evenings how will you know where your child needs help?

As a christian though,i think asking God for wisdom on how to raise a well rounded child who is able to reach his/her full potentials is important.

True but each parent has their set of priorities and will achieve it based on THEIR OWN scale of preference

A child needs to be pushed to the limit of his potential so as to be achieve his destiny but this should be done with patience so as not to alienate the child

What if he finds out that he was just a local champion and not cut off for the big league

Has anyine watched this movie

Parental Guidance

1 Like

Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by damiso(f): 11:47am On Apr 24, 2013
biolabee:

True but each parent has their set of priorities and will achieve it based on THEIR OWN scale of preference

A child needs to be pushed to the limit of his potential so as to be achieve his destiny but this should be done with patience so as not to alienate the child

What if he finds out that he was just a local champion and not cut off for the big league

Has anyine watched this movie

Parental Guidance

True that about every parent having their own scale of prefrence.Some parents ambition for their daughter is to marry a rich man.Simples grin grin grin.All the private sch is to that end.
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by biolabee(m): 12:02pm On Apr 24, 2013
damiso:

True that about every parent having their own scale of prefrence.Some parents ambition for their daughter is to marry a rich man.Simples grin grin grin.All the private sch is to that end.

pronto..

Kate Middleton always wanted to marry a prince
Her parents could match it and she went to private school

Voila! Royal escort Katherine

Easy as ABC!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Building Wealth Together As A Couple - Surehome Marriage Seminar / Extramarital Affairs Gone Wrong! A Comrade Has Fallen! / Would You Reveal Your Past To Your Future Spouse.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.