Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,022 members, 7,838,569 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 05:07 AM

When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You (12912 Views)

Photo: What Would You Do If You Came Home And Saw Your Child Like This!! / Isn't This Strange? / Are Intelligent Women Less Likely To Want Children? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by Nobody: 9:29pm On Apr 23, 2013
coogar:

it would kill me if my child is slow amongst her peers!
this is one of the reasons i have never been an advocate of divorce. children raised by single moms are more likely to be dumber than the ones raised by single dads and ultimately, they are way slower than the kids raised in the normal family unit.
Disagree! Each marriage is individual, and how it affects a particular child's development is a unique scenario. Emotionally, children of married couples probably do better because this society fronts marriage as the ideal "people environment" to raise children. Perhaps it is. Or perhaps we force ourselves to believe it is... tongue

2 Likes

Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by coogar: 9:49pm On Apr 23, 2013
Flytefalls:
Disagree! Each marriage is individual, and how it affects a particular child's development is a unique scenario. Emotionally, children of married couples probably do better because this society fronts marriage as the ideal "people environment" to raise children. Perhaps it is. Or perhaps we force ourselves to believe it is... tongue

i disagree.....
fathers tend to be the better disciplinarian.....there's a reason the saying "wait until your father gets back" works a treat. men would cut to the chase without sentiments and cut out the white noise whereas women(who are mostly emotional beings) would compromise standards whilst trying to understand the extenuating circumstances.

this is not necessarily a bad thing but with a manipulative child, you open doors to sob stories, temper tantrums and doing things just to keep the peace which eventually would spoil the child! my deep voice alone makes kids shyte their panties! i am the one my sisters use to put my nephews in order......
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by Nobody: 9:55pm On Apr 23, 2013
coogar:
i disagree.....
fathers tend to be the better disciplinarian.....there's a reason the saying "wait until your father gets back" works a treat. men would cut to the chase without sentiments and cut out the white noise whereas women(who are mostly emotional beings) would compromise standards whilst trying to understand the extenuating circumstances.

this is not necessarily a bad thing but with a manipulative child, you open doors to sob stories, temper tantrums and doing things just to keep the peace which eventually would spoil the child! my deep voice alone makes kids shyte their panties! i am the one my sisters use to put my nephews in order......

I somewhat agree with you... However, you can't really teach/instill intelligence - it's either a kid has it, or not... Also, the development of a child's intelligence/wit is another thing entirely - and being a disciplinarian can play a role in helping a child attain his/her full intelligence-quotient potentials... The environment and peers also pay different roles in that as well...

1 Like

Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by salt1: 9:55pm On Apr 23, 2013
Pimples:

Nice product u've got. Esp considering the power situation in Nigeria.
But as is commonly said, MODERATION IS THE KEY.
When u over use your advert, it makes it look common thus, making it lose value
We will not all migrate to solar in one day.

@ Topic,
I will always hammer from a very tender age to my child...my expectations. So that he or she will no that anything below that is unacceptable

Your expectations? I think you're not married yet. Your role as a parent is to help your child reach his God-given potentials, not your expectations.
I suggest you begin early to work on your mind-set and spare yourself unnecessary heartache. Children live their own lives, not the ones the parents want them to live. Occasionally both parents and children may share the same value system

2 Likes

Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by coogar: 10:00pm On Apr 23, 2013
ShyM-X:

I somewhat agree with you... However, you can't really teach/instill intelligence - it's either a kid has it, or not... Also, the development of a child's intelligence/wit is another thing entirely - and being a disciplinarian can play a role in helping a child attain his/her full intelligence-quotient potentials... The environment and peers also pay different roles in that as well...

if the father is brilliant and the mother is brilliant, i don't see how the kids would be dull. the other factors are the environment and the people you let the kids interact with. if those factors are all air-tight, there's no way the child won't be brilliant! all he would see growing up are my books and his mother's old textbooks - in a nutshell, he would be groomed in an academic environment.
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by biolabee(m): 10:01pm On Apr 23, 2013
coogar:

if the father is brilliant and the mother is brilliant, i don't see how the kids would be dull. the other factors are the environment and the people you let the kids interact with. if those factors are all air-tight, there's no way the child won't be brilliant! all he would see growing up are my books and his mother's old textbooks - in a nutshell, he would be groomed in an academic environment.

coogar this is an urban legend

the childs brilliance may be in other things not necessarily academic
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by Nobody: 10:05pm On Apr 23, 2013
coogar:

Don't forget kids also pick up genes/traits from their grandparents/great-grandparents as well... So, the parents being academically gifted doesn't really mean the kids also have to be like that... How about birth defects etc..?

Everyone is basically different...
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by coogar: 10:13pm On Apr 23, 2013
biolabee:
coogar this is an urban legend

the childs brilliance may be in other things not necessarily academic

he would adapt!
kids are very flexible - God bless their brains. a kid below 10 can learn 8 different languages without stress. it is what you instil in kids that they would learn. forget all those he might not necessarily be academic. smacking drilled out all the non-academic talents out of me and i embraced academic. what are you talking about? no vacation for me if i don't score 100% in math. grin cheesy

ShyM-X:

Don't forget kids also pick up genes/traits from their grandparents/great-grandparents as well... So, the parents being academically gifted doesn't really mean the kids also have to be like that... How about birth defects etc..?

Everyone is basically different...

birth defects is another dimension entirely.
if one's kid has birth defects then that is totally out of the parents' hands. we are talking of a healthy child here - why would he tap traits from his grandparents? it is what I want him to be that he would be unless i don't try enough.
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by Nobody: 10:22pm On Apr 23, 2013
coogar:
if one's kid has birth defects then that is totally out of the parents' hands. we are talking of a healthy child here - why would he tap traits from his grandparents? it is what I want him to be that he would be unless i don't try enough.

So, you don't know kids tap traits from their grandparents? shocked shocked

Anyway, kids get 25% traits/genes from each of their grandparents... wink

That's biology 101... grin

1 Like

Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by armyofone(m): 10:25pm On Apr 23, 2013
now you are sounding funny. You personally don't have control over gene/the fastest swimming tadpole.

coogar:

he would adapt!
kids are very flexible - God bless their brains. a kid below 10 can learn 8 different languages without stress. it is what you instil in kids that they would learn. forget all those of might not necessarily be academic. smacking drilled out all the non-academic talents out of me and i embraced academic. what are you talking about? no vacation for me if i don't score 100% in math. grin cheesy

Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by armyofone(m): 10:29pm On Apr 23, 2013
coogar:

it would kill me if my child is slow amongst her peers!
this is one of the reasons i have never been an advocate of divorce. children raised by single moms are more likely to be dumber than the ones raised by single dads and ultimately, they are way slower than the kids raised in the normal family unit.

Right, At least no distraction for the kids. Mom and Dad present are important.
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by Nobody: 10:30pm On Apr 23, 2013
ShyM-X:

Coogar is well versed in alternative to biology 101-401. Right, baba biology? grin
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by coogar: 10:30pm On Apr 23, 2013
armyofone: now you are sounding funny. You personally don't have control over gene/the fastest swimming tadpole.

ShyM-X:

even if he does, his grandparents are academicians - so that is sorted. no way in hell my child would tell me he wants to be a fireman or a police officer and get my blessings. not a chance!!!
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by Nobody: 10:34pm On Apr 23, 2013
ileobatojo:

Coogar is well versed in alternative to biology 101-401. Right, baba biology? grin

Lmao...
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by coogar: 10:36pm On Apr 23, 2013
ileobatojo:

i hated biology as a school kid. too effeminate and too voluminous for my liking. if there are no mind bending calculations involved, i am not interested.
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by Nobody: 10:37pm On Apr 23, 2013
coogar:

i hated biology as a school kid. too effeminate and too voluminous for my liking. if there are no mind bending calculations involved, i am not interested.

Same difference.. grin
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by coogar: 10:38pm On Apr 23, 2013
ileobatojo:
Same difference.. grin

go and siddon.....
madam ileobato(burn) - how did the king's house get burnt under your watch? what were you thinking?
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by Nobody: 10:39pm On Apr 23, 2013
coogar:
even if he does, his grandparents are academicians - so that is sorted. no way in hell my child would tell me he wants to be a fireman or a police officer and get my blessings. not a chance!!!

You're just being naive here, coogar... There tons of highly educated firemen and police officers out there, who're happy with their profession(s)... When choosing a career - happiness and comfortability should be the priority, not the superficial status quo....

Personally, I'll give my kids a free hand in trying different things and let them choose what profession(s) they want, tbh...

1 Like

Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by coogar: 10:41pm On Apr 23, 2013
ShyM-X:

You're just being naive here, coogar... There tons of highly educated firemen and police officers out there, who're happy with their profession(s)... When choosing a career - happiness and comfortability should be the priority, not the superficial status quo....

Personally, I'll give my kids a free hand in trying different things and let them choose what profession(s) they want, tbh...

this is why you are shymexx and i am coogar!
none of my kids would get such free pass - they shall follow the path i must have set for them and that is strictly academics.

good luck to you putting a pole in your daughter's bedroom cos she aspires to be a stripper.
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by Nobody: 10:41pm On Apr 23, 2013
coogar:

@ the bolded - same here... Hence why I had to go for sciences... and all the subjects(under science) are intertwined... Also, once you're good in maths - then you shouldn't have a problem with Physics and Chemistry...
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by Nobody: 10:42pm On Apr 23, 2013
coogar:

grin grin My head is in my hands with this one, oh lord this me laugh. I maintain that through my own ancedotal observations here in London, marriage is not an indicator for brilliant parenting. But I'm not dismissing the benefits of marriage.

I'm from a single parent family. When I think of hypotheticals concerning my mum and dad being married, its an ewww-like mess lol. This is why I can argue that emotionally, a child will probably do better in a marriage scenario. But for other factors determining the "success" of a child; not so much.
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by Nobody: 10:43pm On Apr 23, 2013
coogar:
this is why you are shymexx and i am coogar!
none of my kids would get such free pass - they shall follow the path i must have set for them and that is strictly academics.

good luck to you putting a pole in your daughter's bedroom cos she aspires to be a stripper.

Stripper?? - Hell No... That's not a profession!!! grin

However, I won't mind my kids doing sports, or joining the Armed forces(I don't really like the feds/popos lol) albeit they all have to be at least Uni educated...
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by Nobody: 10:44pm On Apr 23, 2013
coogar:

Do I dare say my first "Gbam" ever? Yes... GBAM! grin
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by coogar: 10:45pm On Apr 23, 2013
ShyM-X:

@ the bolded - same here... Hence why I had to go for sciences... and all the subjects(under science) are intertwined... Also, once you're good in maths - then you shouldn't have a problem with Physics and Chemistry...

and you don't think your parents had a hand in this? if i was left alone to become what i like, i would have been a mob boss. however, i had too many math exercises to solve to follow that mob route.

my dad's punishment is simple - face the wall for 5 mins and after he would ask a math question. if you get it correctly, you are free. if not, more misery! being a stubborn child, i quickly learnt the multiplication table by heart. by the age of 7, i knew it like the back of hand!

that is how to train a kid.....

ShyM-X:

Stripper?? - Hell No... That's not a profession!!! grin

However, I won't mind my kids doing sports, or joining the Armed forces(I don't really like the feds/popos lol) albeit they all have to be at least Uni educated...

hell no?
i thought their happiness and satisfaction is more important. be deluding yourself with your proposed methods. if we cut it down to the satisfaction and the happiness of the kids, they would not go to school, they would not take drugs when they are ill and they would not take injections. my nephews would hide to evade going to school every morning. finding them to get them ready is a different challenge on it's own!
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by Nobody: 10:48pm On Apr 23, 2013
ShyM-X:

Aww, Shymexx is so liberal minded. I'm sure you'll made a great dad. [size=3pt]still cheerleading for you bruv[/size]
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by Nobody: 10:51pm On Apr 23, 2013
coogar:
and you don't think your parents had a hand in this? if i was left alone to become what i like, i would have been a mob boss. however, i had too many math exercises to solve to follow that mob route.

my dad's punishment is simple - face the wall for 5 mins and after he would ask a math question. if you get it correctly, you are free. if not, more misery! being a stubborn child, i quickly learnt the multiplication table by heart. by the age of 7, i knew it like the back of hand!

that is how to train a kid.....

In my case, I don't think my parents had a hand in that - I'm just naturally gifted... the only thing my parents instilled in me "academically" was just news(watching the news and reading newspapers)... I picked up everything else from school...
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by Nobody: 10:52pm On Apr 23, 2013
Flytefalls:
Aww, Shymexx is so liberal minded. I'm sure you'll made a great dad. [size=3pt]still cheerleading for you bruv[/size]

Lmao... We all have/had different experiences...
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by coogar: 10:53pm On Apr 23, 2013
ShyM-X:

In my case, I don't think my parents had a hand in that - I'm just naturally gifted... the only thing my parents instilled in me "academically" was just news(watching the news and reading newspapers)... I picked up everything else from school...

think hard, i am sure they did.
in my own case, my dad literally told me as long as i score 100% in mathematics, he would give me anything i want. it made my task very simple. math is tough but i was a greedy child and i want goodies so i learnt it like my life depended on it.
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by Nobody: 10:56pm On Apr 23, 2013
coogar:
hell no?
i thought their happiness and satisfaction is more important. be deluding yourself with your proposed methods. if we cut it down to the satisfaction and the happiness of the kids, they would not go to school, they would not take drugs when they are ill and they would not take injections. my nephews would hide to evade going to school every morning. finding them to get them ready is a different challenge on it's own!

Seriously, who wakes up in the morning and decides that stripping is the best thing to do? These people are victims of circumstances, hence why I won't really call stripping a profession, per se..

Going to school is one thing and choosing a profession is another - you're going off tangent, bro... grin
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by coogar: 11:00pm On Apr 23, 2013
ShyM-X:

Seriously, who wakes up in the morning and decides that stripping is the best thing to do? These people are victims of circumstances, hence why I won't really call stripping a profession, per se..

Going to school is one thing and choosing a profession is another - you're going off tangent, bro... grin

it's the same thing, bro!
stripping is a profession recognised by the government - majority of these women are mothers with husbands. their husbands come to pick them after close of work and that is that!

i choose the book, my kids choose which chapter suits them.
kids are flexible. if you let them know they have options outside the academic echelon, they would take advantage and skip classes. over my dead body would i allow such.
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by Nobody: 11:00pm On Apr 23, 2013
coogar:

go and siddon.....
madam ileobato(burn) - how did the king's house get burnt under your watch? what were you thinking?

I was too busy schooling you in biology o! Na so the ileoba come burn. But no worries, it is now more beautiful than before! grin
Re: When Your Child Isn't As Intelligent As You by Nobody: 11:01pm On Apr 23, 2013
coogar:
think hard, i am sure they did.
in my own case, my dad literally told me as long as i score 100% in mathematics, he would give me anything i want. it made my task very simple. math is tough but i was a greedy child and i want goodies so i learnt it like my life depended on it.

I'm not arguing against giving incentives to make kids aim higher... but my parents never forced me to do anything academically(apart from the news thing)...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Dealing With A Child's Destructive Behaviour? / Building Wealth Together As A Couple - Surehome Marriage Seminar / Extramarital Affairs Gone Wrong! A Comrade Has Fallen!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.