Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,995 members, 7,825,072 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 05:32 AM

Respect Press Freedom: U.S. To FG - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Respect Press Freedom: U.S. To FG (6608 Views)

Fayose To FG: Tell Nigerians Owners Of REMITA / Buhari vs AIT: The Shameless Act Against Press Freedom. / Al-mustapha And Press Freedom. AIT ,Dokpesi Sacked 2 Senior Editorial Staff (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Respect Press Freedom: U.S. To FG by NorthernReps: 9:58am On Apr 25, 2013
Nigeria: U.S. Tells Jonathan Administration to Respect Press Freedom

The U.S. Consular General stated this in Lagos.

Apparently worried by the seemingly increasing attack on the press by the Goodluck Jonathan administration, the United States has told the administration of President Goodluck Jonathan to ensure press freedom.

The U.S. made its position at a public forum through its Consular General in Nigeria, Jeffery Hawkins.

Mr. Hawkins stated this on Wednesday in Lagos, at a programme to celebrate Joe Okei-Odumakin, who was recently honoured with the International Women of Courage Awards by the U.S. government for her steadfast struggle for entrenchment of democracy and the respect for human rights.

"The freedom of the press is crucial. Nigerian vibrant media should be allowed to operate freely," the Consular General said.

Mr. Hawkin's statement comes at a time the Nigerian government is intensifying its strong-arm approach at silencing media organisations across the country.

Early this month four journalists from the Leadership Newspapers were detained for refusing to name the source of a story which alleges that the Mr. Jonathan is planning to truncate the merger of opposition political parties in the country.

The journalists - Chinyere Fred-Adebulugbe, Chuks Ohuegbe, Tony Amokeodo and Chibuzor Ukaibe - were summoned to the police headquarters in Abuja and then detained for refusing to divulge the source of the document from which the story was written.

Two of the journalists and the newspaper have since been charged to court after condemnations locally and internationally at the government's tactics.

"President Jonathan and his handlers need to tell Nigerians and the civilized world why they have suddenly moved from describing the document as "fiction," to a do-or-die obsession with knowing the source; they need to tell Nigerians most of who now live in mortal fear of their personal safety and security, if clamping down on the press has now become a priority sport," said Azubike Ishiekwene, managing director of Leadership Group of Newspapers.

Also, last December, officials of the Directorate of Security Service (DSS), in ten cars stormed the houses, military style, of journalists of Hausa speaking newspaper, Al Mizan, in Kaduna. They rough handled the journalists and their family members. The journalists were arrested after a critical piece about the human rights violations of the Joint Task Force (JTF) in Potiskum, Yobe State. They were subsequently taken to an unknown detention centre. The reporters were released without charge after over a week in detention.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201304250464.html

3 Likes

Re: Respect Press Freedom: U.S. To FG by Gooogle(m): 10:29am On Apr 25, 2013
This is what happens when we dont use our head
Re: Respect Press Freedom: U.S. To FG by Dracula27: 11:06am On Apr 25, 2013
Abeg oooo if the different stories i read are true then it seems that the USA is beginning to comment on every single issue and aspect of happenings in Nigeria.
While i do not differ with them on this opinion i think they should face their front.
Colonialism is over and they are not to run a commentary on Nigeria.

8 Likes

Re: Respect Press Freedom: U.S. To FG by Nobody: 11:30am On Apr 25, 2013
even with all the press freedom, all we can do is tweet and curse on nairaland.
Re: Respect Press Freedom: U.S. To FG by pekelepekele(m): 11:31am On Apr 25, 2013
Obama is working . Jonathan is learning

6 Likes

Re: Respect Press Freedom: U.S. To FG by RedLight1: 11:33am On Apr 25, 2013
why is usa so much interested in nigeria's affair recently :-/ were they asleep during obj's regime?

9 Likes

Re: Respect Press Freedom: U.S. To FG by Nobody: 11:33am On Apr 25, 2013
Mr consular general, please also tell seun we don't want 'bleep' and 'poo',...... even 'unmentionables' and 'naughty woman'

1 Like

Re: Respect Press Freedom: U.S. To FG by Ibangap(m): 11:34am On Apr 25, 2013
Our elders say, 'wen a handshake has gone above d elbow then it is no longer a handshake'. Dis caution and critisism from America is gettin out of hand nd i tink they don't mean well for Nigeria considering d medium in which dey send this messages. In a time like dis wen Nigeria needs support nd encouragement frm 'developed' countries to avoid more chaos. They chose to sow a seed of discord nd hatred between d government and d people. I tink they have a hidden agenda dat does not mean well for dis country. And i believe some bad eggs in here in nigeria are pulling d strings on these issues.

4 Likes

Re: Respect Press Freedom: U.S. To FG by iamswizz(m): 11:34am On Apr 25, 2013
Re: Respect Press Freedom: U.S. To FG by Nobody: 11:35am On Apr 25, 2013
Dracula27%:
Abeg oooo if the different stories i read are true then it seems that the USA is beginning to comment on every single issue and aspect of happenings in Nigeria.
While i do not differ with them on this opinion i think they should face their front.

Show me whats wrong in what he's saying. It's a democratic government for God's sake and freedom of press should be allowed.

Nigeria is even better, freedom of press in Benin is worse. African leaders need to learn to do the right things and face front instead of attacking the messengers. The way press is being humiliated in some African countries is just embarrassing and if it takes US to help communicate that to ogas at the top,so be it

19 Likes

Re: Respect Press Freedom: U.S. To FG by Nobody: 11:36am On Apr 25, 2013
Abeg make them park well jare!
Re: Respect Press Freedom: U.S. To FG by iamswizz(m): 11:36am On Apr 25, 2013
Dracula27%:
if you want them to mind their business,then force our government to do the right thing, if not, force your mouth to keep shut

4 Likes

Re: Respect Press Freedom: U.S. To FG by emmabowin(m): 11:38am On Apr 25, 2013
It's a welcome development.thumbs up to mr. Consular
Re: Respect Press Freedom: U.S. To FG by Akpaife(m): 11:39am On Apr 25, 2013
Akpa ife
Re: Respect Press Freedom: U.S. To FG by Verbes: 11:39am On Apr 25, 2013
Imanuelle: Mr consular general, please also tell seun we don't want 'bleep' and 'poo',...... even 'unmentionables' and 'naughty woman'

How e take concern am.
Re: Respect Press Freedom: U.S. To FG by Kairoseki77: 11:40am On Apr 25, 2013
After Obama steps down, the black race will be represented by African leaders.

As the elected President of the largest black nation on earth, the international community is going to judge all of us by GEJ.

God help us.

4 Likes

Re: Respect Press Freedom: U.S. To FG by tevinsolt: 11:41am On Apr 25, 2013
maybe i'm starting to like the frequent American interference in our country.....idc, it clear this block head can't head a nation and it's evident all over the continent except for few exceptions. we are made fun off as Africans because we have the least civilizations and the least complex ones when looked at on world scale.. this is the time for these idiots to do something productive for once! and leave the future generations something to be proud off in the international community.

5 Likes

Re: Respect Press Freedom: U.S. To FG by Okijajuju1(m): 11:44am On Apr 25, 2013
FG tells US To respect themselves and mind their business..

1 Like

Re: Respect Press Freedom: U.S. To FG by ebucha: 11:54am On Apr 25, 2013
See USA wei the talk. When a fertilizer plant exploded in texas few weeks ago, them allow press go there? Aljazera manage bring them out small.

2 Likes

Re: Respect Press Freedom: U.S. To FG by Nobody: 11:55am On Apr 25, 2013
Okija_juju: FG tells US To respect themselves and mind their business..

It seems the money flowing from Nigeria has reduced drastically since they refused to give my sister World bank Job.,...kaputana, i laff them in spanish grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Respect Press Freedom: U.S. To FG by Nobody: 11:58am On Apr 25, 2013
Northern Reps: Nigeria: U.S. Tells Jonathan Administration to Respect Press Freedom

The U.S. Consular General stated this in Lagos.

Apparently worried by the seemingly increasing attack on the press by the Goodluck Jonathan administration, the United States has told the administration of President Goodluck Jonathan to ensure press freedom.

The U.S. made its position at a public forum through its Consular General in Nigeria, Jeffery Hawkins.

Mr. Hawkins stated this on Wednesday in Lagos, at a programme to celebrate Joe Okei-Odumakin, who was recently honoured with the International Women of Courage Awards by the U.S. government for her steadfast struggle for entrenchment of democracy and the respect for human rights.

"The freedom of the press is crucial. Nigerian vibrant media should be allowed to operate freely," the Consular General said.

Mr. Hawkin's statement comes at a time the Nigerian government is intensifying its strong-arm approach at silencing media organisations across the country.

Early this month four journalists from the Leadership Newspapers were detained for refusing to name the source of a story which alleges that the Mr. Jonathan is planning to truncate the merger of opposition political parties in the country.

The journalists - Chinyere Fred-Adebulugbe, Chuks Ohuegbe, Tony Amokeodo and Chibuzor Ukaibe - were summoned to the police headquarters in Abuja and then detained for refusing to divulge the source of the document from which the story was written.

Two of the journalists and the newspaper have since been charged to court after condemnations locally and internationally at the government's tactics.

"President Jonathan and his handlers need to tell Nigerians and the civilized world why they have suddenly moved from describing the document as "fiction," to a do-or-die obsession with knowing the source; they need to tell Nigerians most of who now live in mortal fear of their personal safety and security, if clamping down on the press has now become a priority sport," said Azubike Ishiekwene, managing director of Leadership Group of Newspapers.

Also, last December, officials of the Directorate of Security Service (DSS), in ten cars stormed the houses, military style, of journalists of Hausa speaking newspaper, Al Mizan, in Kaduna. They rough handled the journalists and their family members. The journalists were arrested after a critical piece about the human rights violations of the Joint Task Force (JTF) in Potiskum, Yobe State. They were subsequently taken to an unknown detention centre. The reporters were released without charge after over a week in detention.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201304250464.html

I cant find my glasses
Re: Respect Press Freedom: U.S. To FG by NigerianAsshole(f): 11:59am On Apr 25, 2013
GEJ will set up a committee to look into the matter. As Usual

5 Likes

Re: Respect Press Freedom: U.S. To FG by Nobody: 12:09pm On Apr 25, 2013
USA again. Let them stop poking their nose into our affairs. Abi the formal sharing formula with them no dey work again?
Re: Respect Press Freedom: U.S. To FG by Nobody: 12:10pm On Apr 25, 2013
CHESSBOARD:

It seems the money flowing from Nigeria has reduced drastically since they refused to give my sister World bank Job.,...kaputana, i laff them in spanish grin grin grin

Na the thing na. Hunger don dey catch em again.
Re: Respect Press Freedom: U.S. To FG by prinsessty(f): 12:11pm On Apr 25, 2013
IF THIS WON'T CHANGE THE PRICE OF PETROL HOW IS IT MY BUSINESS??
Re: Respect Press Freedom: U.S. To FG by solomon111(m): 12:11pm On Apr 25, 2013
iamswizz: if you want them to mind their business,then force our government to do the right thing, if not, force your mouth to keep shut
Why haven't they talked to saudiarabia,spain,china and co.
The press in those countries are far more restricted than Nigeria's will ever be.
Re: Respect Press Freedom: U.S. To FG by pekelepekele(m): 12:11pm On Apr 25, 2013
Red-Light:
why is usa so much interested in nigeria's affair recently :-/ were they asleep during obj's regime?

During Obj's regime it wasn't Obama that was in power at the states it was an He-goat war lover that has the same heart like obj that was there then

2 Likes

Re: Respect Press Freedom: U.S. To FG by ocelot2006(m): 12:17pm On Apr 25, 2013
Nigeria tells America to shut down the CIA's rendition program and blacksites, but most of all MIND THEIR OWN DAMN BUSINESS.

Thank you.
Re: Respect Press Freedom: U.S. To FG by Fishout(m): 12:18pm On Apr 25, 2013
US should mind their bussiness BUT at d same time,GEJ is not rulling well.how can u infringe d right of journalist nd said u had signed freedom of information into law.IF any press criticize his administration,such person don enter wahala be dat.nd everything na because of second times. NA WA FOR DIS MAN O

6 Likes

Re: Respect Press Freedom: U.S. To FG by Ejine(m): 12:21pm On Apr 25, 2013
Imanuelle: Mr consular general, please also tell seun we don't want 'bleep' and 'poo',...... even 'unmentionables' and 'naughty woman'

Not forgetting 'molestation', 'core', 'attention', 'LadyOfPleasure', 'bottom', 'droppings' and my favorite of all... 'ManLover'

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigeria Squanders Millions On Generators Its Foreign Missions Don’t Need / Mining Must Make Africa Rich Not Poor – Ghana’s President / Breaking!!!!!!!!! Hope Uzodinma Escape Assassination By Unknown Gunmen.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.