Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,574 members, 7,812,868 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:00 PM

Nigeria To Create Six ‘mega Universities’ - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigeria To Create Six ‘mega Universities’ (15009 Views)

Best University In Nigeria To Study Medicine/surgery(mbbs) / How I Made It To Sweden From Nigeria To Study For My Master’s Degree / Best University In Nigeria To Study Mechanical Engineering (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria To Create Six ‘mega Universities’ by Ferdinandu(m): 10:30am On Apr 26, 2013
what do they mean by mega university?.the conflict of HND versus Bsc have not been resolved and still they are trying to increase the confusion.Yesterday Bsc is higher than HND,today the are the same level tomorrow ,nothey are no longer the same level.Now may be it is going to be HND vs Bsc vs Mega Bsc .Pack of clueless Individuals.
Re: Nigeria To Create Six ‘mega Universities’ by achi4u(m): 10:31am On Apr 26, 2013
Is there no way we can stop this people?

My people is dieing because they lack sound knowledage.
Re: Nigeria To Create Six ‘mega Universities’ by eriegua83: 10:32am On Apr 26, 2013
All we are saying we need mega jobs and mega security.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Create Six ‘mega Universities’ by HAH: 10:32am On Apr 26, 2013
Just a way of creating dichotomy between to have and have not

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Create Six ‘mega Universities’ by Osuman(m): 10:33am On Apr 26, 2013
atleast no doubt university of benin is one (uniben), but wait oh, Y not upgrading the existing ones, na wa for jona, all the same it is a good news.
Re: Nigeria To Create Six ‘mega Universities’ by lekanwj(m): 10:34am On Apr 26, 2013
In an environment where people are serious, you don't spent too much time discussing issues of this nature. Just get it done. My people will set up committee to look into it and another to vet the report of the committee and another to look at which university to convert and so on. Please get serious NIGERIA
Re: Nigeria To Create Six ‘mega Universities’ by Petraman(m): 10:34am On Apr 26, 2013
have they managed the university we have in this nation properly, before doing this
Re: Nigeria To Create Six ‘mega Universities’ by Afam4eva(m): 10:43am On Apr 26, 2013
IGBO-SON:
UNN should be chosen for the south east.
[size=14pt]No. UNN already has an ok infrastructure. They should pick a school with minimal infrastructure. I think NAU will make more sense.[/size]

1 Like

Re: Nigeria To Create Six ‘mega Universities’ by chic2007: 10:46am On Apr 26, 2013
The most clueless set of leaders at the top churning out half baked and ridiculous ideas. angry The quality of a university is determined by the quality of the lecturers who are constantly trained and retrained, up to date/functional infrastructure, a Library which is properly equipped amongst others. Changing the name of a University does not have any impact on its efficacy. If the people on top can't use their sawdust filled brains to think, they should step aside and employ intelligent people to think. What does "Mega" have to do with anything? undecided.
Re: Nigeria To Create Six ‘mega Universities’ by flyforall: 10:50am On Apr 26, 2013
We really don't need more universities to create unemployed youths after graduation. What we need is a social security system that guarantees graduates a form of renumeration while they are actively searching for employment
Re: Nigeria To Create Six ‘mega Universities’ by obi123: 10:54am On Apr 26, 2013
Nigeria is a joke , run by a bunch of jokers, what the hell is a mega university? instead of bringing the universities up to Russell group standard, they are busy looking for ways to steal billions via BS ideas like these, we don't even have a standard so what are we really aspiring to ? what standard are we aiming to meet, there are no benchmarking figures, nothing.
Re: Nigeria To Create Six ‘mega Universities’ by Soso990240(m): 11:00am On Apr 26, 2013
Anoda way una wan use embezzle tax payer's money..wot hpns 2 d rest of d universities?
Re: Nigeria To Create Six ‘mega Universities’ by legendarysegzi(m): 11:00am On Apr 26, 2013
what have they done since their mega plan on boostin our electricity?nofin .Now i know my president is sicker than a luekemia patient. undecided
Re: Nigeria To Create Six ‘mega Universities’ by possibilita(m): 11:09am On Apr 26, 2013
The 4k,the educational system is falling,the level of unemployment is increasing,wow,what a good ideal,i never knew this government was this brainless,look at our existing Universities without fundings you are talking about Sega i mean MEGA universities just for your personalities, the problem of preference of university deploma over HND have not been solved and you want to add Mega university deploma,angry......
Re: Nigeria To Create Six ‘mega Universities’ by elizaking: 11:12am On Apr 26, 2013
six mega university or six mega companies for over 600,000 gradutes in nigeria. many under gradute are even scared to gradute talk less of those that not planning to be in school. guys, maybe we should come together as youth and take a drastic dission like that of the ghaninas years back. i could volutarily give my life for nigerian becos am sure that the prombles are the leaders. i can gather all the leaders and bomb us all 2geda at aso rock. so that the youths can ave a gud future.
Re: Nigeria To Create Six ‘mega Universities’ by Dee60: 11:14am On Apr 26, 2013
Another carrot - and see how people have started mentioning names. 'It must be me' and 'winner takes all attitude'!

What is a mega university when lecturers are poorly paid and students can hardly write one full sentence correctly? FG should direct its resources elsewhere and start building economically viable schools with enough funding for research.

This new idea sounds like another waste from our most wasteful administration!
Re: Nigeria To Create Six ‘mega Universities’ by ITbomb(m): 11:16am On Apr 26, 2013
They want to first do it before ACN comes up with another MEGA after taking the MEGA PARTY franchise.
I wonder when are we going to get MEGA Power Supply?
Re: Nigeria To Create Six ‘mega Universities’ by elizaking: 11:18am On Apr 26, 2013
this is just like a thief asking around in the hood, who as an electric failure so he can repair, is he not looking for a house to rob. bad leaders.
Re: Nigeria To Create Six ‘mega Universities’ by Dee60: 11:19am On Apr 26, 2013
HAH: Just a way of creating dichotomy between to have and have not

Spot on.

Clueless idea from a wasteful administration. America is talking about a project they termed 'No Child Should be left behind' whereas Nigeria is coming up with 'Most Children should be left behind'!

Brainless, clueless idea from politicians who cannot stop devising ways to milk and kill the country!
Re: Nigeria To Create Six ‘mega Universities’ by Obere4u: 11:26am On Apr 26, 2013
What happens to the 6 abi na 9 federal university Jona-boy promised?...... Now na d idea of a committee chaired by Mr Peter Obi (whose state university is not among the first 25 university in Nigeria) to build/upgrade to "MEGA" university in d 6 geopolitical zone.
Mega Ko...... Mega Ni......
Aku fecha o dara awo
EVERYTHING ENDS IN UNEMPLOYMENT
Re: Nigeria To Create Six ‘mega Universities’ by Nobody: 11:33am On Apr 26, 2013
kazeem1086: I suggest ABU for North-West zone, OAU for South-West zone and Ilorin for North central zone

I guess Usman Danfodiyo University will serve the North West.
But instead of turning schools that are doing well into Mega whatever, they should revive dying Universities like...........
Re: Nigeria To Create Six ‘mega Universities’ by Olamiz: 11:36am On Apr 26, 2013
gudugudumeje: There is nothing like mega - university anywhere.

It is in the figment of imagination of the confused men. That is those in power who cannot understand what university - delivered services can translate to mean and be fulfilled and can as well be realised substantially in line with changing time and contemporary challenges.

NIGERIANS SHOULD EXPECT MEGA - FRAUD AND MEGA - RASCALITY intellect fraudsters as outputs of such places. This is particularly so with the present calibre of people in the universitiies that the Nigeria's system of higher education has not enabled and facilitated to make work productive and be paid for with endowments.....
Mega universities, when their is no mega works in the nation. Thousands of students are graduating every year and only few get job. Come back to sense our leaders. God bless Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria To Create Six ‘mega Universities’ by PENMIGHT(m): 11:38am On Apr 26, 2013
6 mega Universities in the midst of 100s of mushroom Universities is like the proverbial 'one rich man amidst his six mega-impoverished siblings". In reality, we will only succeed not in having mega institutions but mega illusions of realities.

And here we are jostling for which university to attain the 'mega' status. Just exactly what they want! We are divided not only along ethnic line but even in sub-communal affiliations and surely this will becloud our sense of judgement. I hail from Ibadan but attended OAU(God,I love this school) and Unilag is just d right place to learn. So, I guess I should be confused!

But in my opinion these are made Universities that already have the attention of the Govt in the past and already on the threshold of development. If any University is to be choosen for this largesse ,then it shouldn't be these ones. But I guess the powers that be won't jettison than personal interest or disinterest to give us the best.
For instance, even if Unilag is in the best position to hold the South-western Ace, it is in the Opposition state-Lagos and coupled with the fact that they are also 'rebellious' against name changing,this will surely be made to bear in rejecting that choice.

It is who we are; who we have always been and it is just one of the numerous mindset that keep hindering and hampering on our development as a growing state. Hence,we produce failed institutions in mega ways.

Let there be an emergency declared in the Education Sector for the duration of the reminant of this tenure and let the Focus be on capacity building of all the FG Universities(at least) not forgetting the Primary and Secondary Unity schools. The next govt can continue where d previous stops.

This, in the nearest future, won't produce Mega Universities but qualified graduates with no meagre achievements.
Re: Nigeria To Create Six ‘mega Universities’ by casiraghi: 11:51am On Apr 26, 2013
This simple means those universities will have a student population of between 150 to 200 thousand just like some south American universities,This will only worsen the situation of the labour market imagine OAU and 5 others producing about 50 thousand graduates every year, 300,000 graduate from just 6 universities.

The quality of graduates from those school become worst given the Nigerian factor
Re: Nigeria To Create Six ‘mega Universities’ by Missonas(f): 11:52am On Apr 26, 2013
coputa: What is mega university..what value will it add to the graduates and the economy except that it will give government cronies and contractors mega pay..this is a sign that our leaders are bereft of ideas that will turn the economy around,..what we need now is a mega vocational institutions in the six geopolitical zones...our graduates are stranded because they cannot offer anything or practice what they 've learnt in the university....can reading and writing alone create the needed opportunity for school leavers...as a growing economy such as ours we need graduates with skills and purpose..

I'll keep saying this,we need young,intelligent and well articulated youths in d Senate and in govt to help come up with fresh ideas in line with our present day dispensation.else all we'll keep hearing is trash
Btw,wat happened to the 9 federal universities dat were established jst last year?barely taken off and nw this? * smh*
Re: Nigeria To Create Six ‘mega Universities’ by donphilopus: 11:52am On Apr 26, 2013
The upgrading of the universities is not the issue on ground, the main thing the federal government should be more concerned about is a Nigerian university being among the best 100 universities in the world.. And they (NUC) should be able to create more new universities in this country to aide more good graduates.. It should be done in a way that all the best universities in each geo-political zone will enjoy the mega. I.e. South South> Uniben. South West> OAU. North Central> Unilorin and so on
Re: Nigeria To Create Six ‘mega Universities’ by lonamy: 11:52am On Apr 26, 2013
This is a good idea. Nigerians have people who can think deeply to bring about changes we required. But the only way these changes could work is to jointly fight against corruption and ensure corrupt individuals pay with their lives. This is the only way these brilliant ideas can work.

So this is a misplaced priority.
Re: Nigeria To Create Six ‘mega Universities’ by Egbagirl(f): 12:00pm On Apr 26, 2013
I'm not interested in the creation of universities or the number of universities we have. What I;m interested in is the resources pumped into the universities. Will it also include qualified professor, good infrastructure, conducive learning environments, great learning/career opportunities, research funding etc. We have a lot of universities already lacking all these so I'm somewhat skeptical about this mega thing they want to do. We need quality not quantity/size.
Re: Nigeria To Create Six ‘mega Universities’ by Originalsly: 12:02pm On Apr 26, 2013
Hmmm....what is a mega university?
Re: Nigeria To Create Six ‘mega Universities’ by basilo101: 12:48pm On Apr 26, 2013
Afam4eva:
[size=14pt]No. UNN already has an ok infrastructure. They should pick a school with minimal infrastructure. I think NAU will make more sense.[/size]
u r jst dreaming
Re: Nigeria To Create Six ‘mega Universities’ by Walexybobo(m): 12:52pm On Apr 26, 2013
Mega university! With no mega job oppourtunity for graduates swooping out of the universities every year? Is this not a mean of turning the economy around for mega corruption or have you ever heard of such in the western country like USA?! We need to know ur motive behind this stint Mr.
Re: Nigeria To Create Six ‘mega Universities’ by AmeLonRo(m): 12:54pm On Apr 26, 2013
This is welcome development. The mega Universities will serve as models for others. This is very similar to what we had then in Lagos State during my secondary school days.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Duoye Diri Honours NDU's First Female First Class Law Graduate, Ebizi Eradiri / President Jonathan's Mother Donates Hostel To Fed. University Otuoke / Photos From A Nairalander's Convocation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.