Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,866 members, 7,810,298 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:20 AM

Maize Farming Startup - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Maize Farming Startup (111191 Views)

Have You Ever Seen Black Maize Before? This Will Shock You / Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. / Info On Maize Farming Needed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Maize Farming Startup by megainvest: 7:38pm On Apr 26, 2013
Hello business minded people. I am pleased to inform you that our maize farm has now started up fully. In summary, over 7 hectares of farmland was cultivated within a month. Target yield is 3 tons per hectare. In 3 months, it is expected that we can inject about 20 tons of maize into the global market.

I would encourage young entrepreneurs to go iinto agriculture. You are welcome to join me on this thread to discuss this and other issues. Foremost on my mind is the marketing of this harvest.

Thanks

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Maize Farming Startup by Tayeni(m): 8:21pm On Apr 26, 2013
Great idea. Pictures will make d thread more interesting......you said 3 tonnes? Dry grains or with cobs
Re: Maize Farming Startup by megainvest: 8:45pm On Apr 26, 2013
Thanks Tayeni. Posting the pictures is a good idea. The yield quoted is grain yield per hectare. That is the weight of dry grains after removing the cobs. Are you into agriculture also?

1 Like

Re: Maize Farming Startup by segunjowo(m): 10:37pm On Apr 26, 2013
Hello. Pls let me know if I can partner with you on cultivation. Do send me the details of ur farm location. I am much interested in maize cultivation.

You can reach me on bb pin 2113C91F or call 08020512762. I hope ur farm isn't too far away from lagos?
Re: Maize Farming Startup by Tayeni(m): 12:44am On Apr 27, 2013
megainvest: Thanks Tayeni. Posting the pictures is a good idea. The yield quoted is grain yield per hectare. That is the weight of dry grains after removing the cobs. Are you into agriculture also?
Yep.......agronomist by training. I'm working on getting two hectares to cultivate b4 d season passes. This will b my first time.......just about to finish my service year...can you help by posting the cost and profit of cultivating a hectare of maize......I knw all d inputs and practices. D naira implications of these things is what I don't knw.
Re: Maize Farming Startup by megainvest: 6:24pm On May 02, 2013
segunjowo:
Hello. Pls let me know if I can partner with you on cultivation. Do send me the details of ur farm location. I am much interested in maize cultivation.

You can reach me on bb pin 2113C91F or call 08020512762. I hope ur farm isn't too far away from lagos?

Thanks for your interest but unfortunately, I'm still learning the ropes therefore, I'm not seeking partnership for cultivation at this time. I need to study the business properly before going into that. However, I am open to investors interested in processing and marketing of the harvest.

Tayeni:
Yep.......agronomist by training. I'm working on getting two hectares to cultivate b4 d season passes. This will b my first time.......just about to finish my service year...can you help by posting the cost and profit of cultivating a hectare of maize......I knw all d inputs and practices. D naira implications of these things is what I don't knw.

I encourage you to start up asap because the planting season is already far gone.
Apart from the cost of land, over 90% of the costs for cultivating a hectare are labour costs. i.e. Clearing, land preparation and planting. Labour costs largely depend on the location. As you might expect, labour in rural areas is cheaper. You will only need about N2,500 for purchase of high yield seeds for 1 hectare of land. If you need fertilizers or pesticides, that may cost about N5,000. You will need to contact the farmers in your area to tell you how much they will charge you for labour.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Maize Farming Startup by Manutd19: 8:37pm On May 02, 2013
Nice one. Thanks for the info. I just planted mine today though small. What are your expectation in terms of profit
Re: Maize Farming Startup by megainvest: 8:12am On May 03, 2013
That's where I need some help. The profit I make depends on how much I can sell the yield. I need buyers to make a good offer. Over 20 tons of maize is up for grabs here. cool
Re: Maize Farming Startup by olushowunm(m): 12:54pm On Jun 09, 2013
@ALL... MAIZE IS GOOD WHEN SOLD FRESH TO FRESH MARKET AS YOU DONT NEED TO EXPEND ADDITIONAL COSTS...
FOR THE POSTER, CONSIDER FEEDMILLS WHO CAN ONLY BUY AT THE RANGE OF 100K PER ANNUM...
IF SOLD FRESH AND YOU HAVE 2 PLANTS PER HILL WITH AVERAGE OF TWO EARS... YOU WILL SELL 400-600 FRESH MAIZES FOR N2K TO N4K IN THE FRESH MARKET... SO IF YOU HAVE 50,000 HILLS PER HECTARE... YOU SHOULD GARNER 200,000 FRESH MAIZES PER HECTARE AND ACHIEVE 400 IGBA'S OF MAIZE @ N2K PER IGBA, YOU SHOULD GET N800,000... THATS EVEN A MID/WORST CASE SCENARIO... IF PROPER SKILLS IS UTILIZED, YOU GET N1.6MILLION PER HECTARE....
THANKS...

N.B: FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVE FUNDS FOR PARTNERSHIP, I'M AVAILABLE TO WORK WITH YOU, I HAVE ACCESS TO LANDS AND I KNOW THE MARKET... I ONLY NEED FUNDS TO GET SOME MINOR MACHINERIES... EMAIL IS OLUSHOWUNMI2@GMAIL.COM...

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Maize Farming Startup by Lesgupnigeria(m): 3:38pm On Jun 09, 2013
Great topic!
We are Located in Ogun State and are Into crop production mainly maize,cassava, watermelon,vegetables and cucumber.
The season of maize is between March15 - May 15. therefore the season of planting maize is gone except you want to invite Loss.Late planting is in August.
Agriculture is the most profitable business any unemployed graduate can venture into.
We also manage farm for people interested in agriculture. Our Maize Plan is as follows:

STAGE 1:
Land lease " #5,000
1st Ploughing #8,000
2nd Ploughing #8,000
Hybrid Seed/hectare #5,000

STAGE 2:
Planting #3,000
1st Weeding #9,000
Fertiliser #5,500
Application #4,000

STAGE 3:
2nd Weeding #9,000
GNLD #8,000
Application #4,000
Insecticide #6,000
Application #4,000

TOTAL #78,500
The target yield is 3tons/ha.
1ton sells for #60,000,Now multiply 60,000*3 = #180,000.Your profit =180,000-78,500 =101,500 within 2months.
We can help you get land for rent @ #5,000/hectare in Ogun State.
We also consult for both crop production and animal production.Crops like melon,cassava,maize,vegetables,Tomato and cucumber
We also consult for poultry,fishery,piggery
For full proposal you can contact:
The Farm Manager,Gbenga:
08101148992, 01-7910494 or yusuffgbenga@gmail.com
Also like us in www.facebook.com/Lesgupnigeria

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Maize Farming Startup by elebiola(m): 1:35pm On Jun 10, 2013
Nice thread.... Was just thinking if a probability of mixed cropping would be good in maize planting. Someone was suggesting maize with beans(cowpea). Is it advisable, he explained its all about maximizing the land totally. Beans grows on the ground and maize grows upwards. Can you please shed more light...

1 Like

Re: Maize Farming Startup by megainvest: 8:37pm On Jun 13, 2013
@Olushowunm, thanks for the great advice.

@elebiola, yes mixed cropping is good practice. I mixed maize with melon. I think beans will achieve the same purpose.

1 Like

Re: Maize Farming Startup by bobojoshua(m): 8:04am On Jul 14, 2013
Lesgupnigeria: Great topic!
We are Located in Ogun State and are Into crop production mainly maize,cassava, watermelon,vegetables and cucumber.
The season of maize is between March15 - May 15. therefore the season of planting maize is gone except you want to invite Loss.Late planting is in August.
Agriculture is the most profitable business any unemployed graduate can venture into.
We also manage farm for people interested in agriculture. Our Maize Plan is as follows:

STAGE 1:
Land lease " #5,000
1st Ploughing #8,000
2nd Ploughing #8,000

STAGE 2:
Planting #3,000
1st Weeding #9,000
Fertiliser #5,500
Application #4,000

STAGE 3:
2nd Weeding #9,000
GNLD #8,000
Application #4,000
Insecticide #6,000
Application #4,000

TOTAL #78,500
1ton sells for #60,000,Now multiply 60,000*3 = #180,000.Your profit =180,000-78,500 =101,500 within 2months.
We also consult for both crop production and animal production.Crops like melon,cassava,maize,vegetables,Tomato and cucumber
The Farm Manager,Gbenga:
Re: Maize Farming Startup by osca123(m): 12:27pm On Jul 14, 2013
Lesgupnigeria: Great topic!

STAGE 1:
Land lease " #5,000
1st Ploughing #8,000
2nd Ploughing #8,000

STAGE 2:
Planting #3,000
1st Weeding #9,000
Fertiliser #5,500
Application #4,000

STAGE 3:
2nd Weeding #9,000
GNLD #8,000
Application #4,000
Insecticide #6,000
Application #4,000

TOTAL #78,500
The Farm Manager,Gbenga:

did u say 2 months from cultivation to harvest? is it possible to harvest maize in 2 months?
Re: Maize Farming Startup by Lesgupnigeria(m): 12:13pm On Jul 16, 2013
osca123:

did u say 2 months from cultivation to harvest? is it possible to harvest maize in 2 months?
It is very possible to harvest maize in 2months' time from time of cultivation to time of harvest.Where are you located to give you the nearest IITA centre address.
Re: Maize Farming Startup by bobojoshua(m): 12:29pm On Jul 16, 2013
Lesgupnigeria:
It is very possible to harvest maize in 2months' time from time of cultivation to time of harvest.Where are you located to give you the nearest IITA centre address.
kwara state
Re: Maize Farming Startup by osca123(m): 2:31pm On Jul 16, 2013
Lesgupnigeria:
am based in delta state
Re: Maize Farming Startup by Debesther: 3:53pm On Jul 16, 2013
I AM INTERESTED IN THIS TREND.GOOD ONE GUYS
Re: Maize Farming Startup by Nobody: 5:08pm On Jul 16, 2013
Debesther: I AM INTERESTED IN THIS TREND.GOOD ONE GUYS

am interested in banana and plantain plantation. i dont need crops that require after harvest processing. any expert here.
Re: Maize Farming Startup by megainvest: 6:24pm On Jul 16, 2013
Updates from my farm. It's harvest time and the corn has done very well. We are still in the process of harvesting. As soon as we finish, I will let you know the actual yield.

Meanwhile, buyers are welcome to negotiate. Never mind the location. They can be transported to you if you have a good offer. smiley The feeling of harvest is very good.

3 Likes

Re: Maize Farming Startup by atuagbo: 8:50pm On Jul 16, 2013
Lesgupnigeria:
Am in Lagos, I want 2 go into cassava farming in a very large scale. Can you help me with a plan I can go with, which will include the size of farmland location, man labour and capital it will required to get this business done.
Re: Maize Farming Startup by megainvest: 6:55am On Jul 17, 2013
See one of the harvested cobs looking very healthy and delicious below kiss :

1 Like

Re: Maize Farming Startup by atuagbo: 3:25pm On Jul 17, 2013
megainvest: See one of the harvested cobs looking very healthy and delicious below kiss :

Good one!
Can you help me with the breakdown of all it involved from the purchase/lease of farmland, planting and harvesting. Thks
Re: Maize Farming Startup by Nobody: 1:43pm On Jul 21, 2013
@LesgupNigeria,

You did not include harvesting cost in your breakdown. And do you have ready-made market to sell the cultivated products? Which part of Ogun State are you based? And what is your charges/ha for managing the farm?

Also, now that that the price of beans and bomatoes (from the North) are getting out of hand in the market, is there a possibility of growing these crops on a large-scale here in the South? Is the land and weather suitable?

Regards,

Kunlef.
Re: Maize Farming Startup by wirinet(m): 3:51pm On Jul 21, 2013
Apart from not including the cost of harvesting, he also ommited the cost of storage, de-hauling of the ears and bagging of the corn. And we have not even considered transporting the corn from the farm to the market or where it is to be sold.

Futhermore, I feel the N6000 provision you made for insecticide is grossly inadequate for a 1 hectre(15 plots) plantation. Are you fumigating only once and how are you delivering the insecticide; by yourself or hiring a profesdional. And you did not make provision whatsoever for birds. birds pose a more serious problem to corn plantation. My friends that has a small corn farm always complain that birds reduce his harvest by as much as half' especially if the corn is not harvested on time.

2 Likes

Re: Maize Farming Startup by bluerange(f): 4:52pm On Jul 21, 2013
few years ago l was into rice cultivation in anambra, it was an enriching experience. lf u can mechanize some process, it would worth it especially d threshing of d harvest, if u allow d locals thresh using sticks, u go cry! there is 13wks variety.

3 Likes

Re: Maize Farming Startup by PapaBrowne(m): 8:43pm On Jul 21, 2013
I love this thread and more importantly, I love the renewed interest in Agriculture displayed here. NIgeria is defintely on the right path in this generation.

For the past 2-3 years, I have been involved in research on Agribusiness Value Chain. I have even founded a company in this regard. Based on that, I'll give my 2cents to the poster and to those others already engaged or seeking to engage in Agriculture.

I would start by saying that instead of having an Agricultural mindset, it's a better Idea to have an Agribusiness Mindset. The difference between the price of products sold at farm gate is miles apart from their actual value in the retail markets. With an Agribusiness mindset, you would seek to add value to the products you produce and in turn sell at much better prices.

I will use the calculations given by @Olushowumn to butress my point.
Based on Olushowumn's calcultions, 1 hectare of land should produce 50,000 hills of corn which would equate to 200,000 cubs. An Igba(not sure what that means) would contain 400-600 cubs and could be sold for between 2000-4000 Naira. Lets use 500 cubs and 3000 Naira as average for an Igba.

So,
500 cubs = 1 Igbas = 3000 Naira.
200,000 cubs = 400 bags = 1.2 million Naira per hectare.
So your 7 hectare would yeild 8.4 million Naira.
Now that's good money. Or so it seems.

Now let me tell you how much that amount of corn would be bought be consumers if its boiled or roasted and sold on the streets.

1 roasted or boiled cub of corn sells for 50 Naira each on average.
Lets assume that from the 200,000 cubs per hectare, we loose 25% and are left with 150,000 per hectare
If that amount of corn were sold retail we would get 150,000 cubs x 50 Naira = 7.5 million per hectare.
Your total farm would sell for 7.5 million x 7 = 52.2 million Naira.

Yes. 52.5 million Naira is the amount your corn would sell for on the streets by the time a simple value of Roasting or Boiling has been added to it. That is a very long way from what you will get if you choose to sell your corn at the international price of $300 per Metric Tonne.

Now this is what you get if you choose to sell you corn on the international market without adding value.
Based on you post, you will achieve 3 tons per hectare which is 21 tons for your 7 hectares

1 Metric tonne = Approx. $300 = 48,000 Naira.
21 Metric Tonnes= 21 x $300= $6300 = 1.01 Million Naira.

The big question is:
Why would I want to sell my corn internationally for 1 Million Naira when I can sell locally wholesale for 8.4 million or retail for 52.2 million Naira.

In a nutshell, taking a value added approach to your farming business is the way to go. Selling raw stock for a small farmer with 20 hectares for me is not ideal. Add value. Tweak the Value chain to your favour and see your farnm generate you millions. Thats exactly what the white man has done for ages. They take our Cocoa and turn it to chocolates. While the Cocoa market is worth about $7 Billion dollars annually, the Chocolate market is worth over $100 billion despite the fact that Chocolate is just one of the by products of Cocoa.

There are a million things that can be created from your corn.

Animal feed. Custard and Pap. Corn Starch. Corn Syrup. Corn Flour. Corn Cake. Corn Oil.

And a whole lot more.

My best: Developing a cool franchise system where your corn is either Roasted or Boiled at major street junctions.

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Maize Farming Startup by olushowunm(m): 5:51am On Jul 22, 2013
@PAPABROWN... YOU REALLY HIT IT STRAIGHT.... THOUGH PLANS ARE ON FOR THAT ON MY OWN PART, BUT FOR NOW I PREFER SELLING AT FARMGATE TO RAISE CASHFLOW TO INVEST FURTHER IN THE VALUE CHAIN.... I'M IN AGRIBIZ AND NOT FARMING... BUT AS THEY SAY A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES BEGINS WITH A SIMPLE STEP....

THANKS FOR GINGERING ME...
I HOPE WE CAN KEEP UP COMMUNICATION... 0LUSHOWUNMI2@GMAIL.COM.

2 Likes

Re: Maize Farming Startup by Lesgupnigeria(m): 7:26am On Jul 26, 2013
atuagbo:
Am in Lagos, I want 2 go into cassava farming in a very large scale. Can you help me with a plan I can go with, which will include the size of farmland location, man labour and capital it will required to get this business done.

It depend on the financial muscle and how much you really want to invest.
This is the right and best time to plant cassava.You can start with 1hectare of land.
I will give you the cost of production for 1hectare
Cost of production of cassava is as follows:
STAGE 1
Land lease: 5,000/annum
1st plough: 8,000
STAGE 2:
2nd plough :8,000
9month maturingCassava Stem +transportation: 20,000
STAGE 3
Planting: 9,000
STAGE 4
1st Weeding: 8,000
Fertiliser +Application:15,000
STAGE 5
2nd weeding: 8,000
Miscellaneous: 3,000
Harvesting : 7,000
TOTAL for 1Ha =#87,000
For 1Ha,yield is between 30-35tons and currently 1ton is #20,000
Revenue is 20,000*30=#600,000
Whopping #600,000 ,Thanks to the federal govt. policy on cassava.
We lease land in Ogun state for 5,000/Ha/annum.Machinery and labour are available in the area.

1 Like

Re: Maize Farming Startup by Lesgupnigeria(m): 7:29am On Jul 26, 2013
atuagbo:
Re: Maize Farming Startup by Lesgupnigeria(m): 7:37am On Jul 26, 2013
kunlef: @LesgupNigeria,

You did not include harvesting cost in your breakdown. And do you have ready-made market to sell the cultivated products? Which part of Ogun State are you based? And what is your charges/ha for managing the farm?

Also, now that that the price of beans and bomatoes (from the North) are getting out of hand in the market, is there a possibility of growing these crops on a large-scale here in the South? Is the land and weather suitable?

Regards,

Kunlef.

We have ready made market for them.Agbara industrial estate is not far from our location,we get buyers coming from lagos to book in advance,we sold our maize and cassava to a brewery company making profit of 6digits.Agriculture is lucrative.
We are in Oke-odan to be precise(Yewa South)
We charge just #20,000/year for managing an hectare
South has one of the best soil for them,We even have some hectares of tomatoes,it depends on the management to get a good yield.
Re: Maize Farming Startup by Lesgupnigeria(m): 7:48am On Jul 26, 2013
wirinet: Apart from not including the cost of harvesting, he also ommited the cost of storage, de-hauling of the ears and bagging of the corn. And we have not even considered transporting the corn from the farm to the market or where it is to be sold.

Futhermore, I feel the N6000 provision you made for insecticide is grossly inadequate for a 1 hectre(15 plots) plantation. Are you fumigating only once and how are you delivering the insecticide; by yourself or hiring a profesdional. And you did not make provision whatsoever for birds. birds pose a more serious problem to corn plantation. My friends that has a small corn farm always complain that birds reduce his harvest by as much as half' especially if the corn is not harvested on time.

If you want to dry,shell and bag your maize,thats when you can add those cost.We are selling directly from farm to the market.
We do free harvesting for our clients we manage land for,thats why we are not including that cost.
You need 6bottles of insecticide/1Ha with each going for #1000 throughout the growing season of maize.
We dont have bird problem in our own area.
Tell your friend to always mix the corn with Avian plus.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

PICTURES..The Construction Of Free Range Snail Farming System. / Sebastian Suski: The Longest Cucumber In The World - Guinness World Records / Unbelievable: 100pcs Of Tubers Of Yam For N9,000...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.