Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,374 members, 7,819,358 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:51 PM

Banning Of Daytime Movement Of Fuel Tankers And Trailers In Nigeria Campaign! - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Banning Of Daytime Movement Of Fuel Tankers And Trailers In Nigeria Campaign! (13581 Views)

160 Fuel Tankers Allocated To The North, 40 To The South-West / Customs Impounds 3 Trailers In Katsina, Conveying Contraband Goods / Video: Fuel Tankers Leaving Ubah's Capital Oil Depot To Distribute Fuel Now (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Banning Of Daytime Movement Of Fuel Tankers And Trailers In Nigeria Campaign! by ikeokoye(m): 1:58pm On Apr 28, 2013
ban dem without delay...dey av done more harm dan gud...but the only disadvantage is dat robbers may strt to attack dey by nite..
Re: Banning Of Daytime Movement Of Fuel Tankers And Trailers In Nigeria Campaign! by boron10(m): 2:02pm On Apr 28, 2013
For the ban to be fair on the side of the motorists, the government should first ensure that every pliable road is well illuminated and security forces should be much at night to ensure the safety of the tanker and trailer drivers.

Hence, it will be another means of oppressing the lower class citizens(drivers) of the country.
Re: Banning Of Daytime Movement Of Fuel Tankers And Trailers In Nigeria Campaign! by Biim: 2:04pm On Apr 28, 2013
It shouldn't end with banning their movement during the day (most of them will definitely default and they may be involved in accidents,driving at night isn't that safe and easy),the government should construct separate roads for them.
Re: Banning Of Daytime Movement Of Fuel Tankers And Trailers In Nigeria Campaign! by Profidada: 2:09pm On Apr 28, 2013
@op am in support wella! Anything you guys want to do in this regard please email me at profidada@yahoo.com. Am sick and tired of this. People are complaining of terrorism while preventable deaths have snatched thousands of nigerians. The one that happened at the east west road where i lost a friend is still very fresh in my memory.
Re: Banning Of Daytime Movement Of Fuel Tankers And Trailers In Nigeria Campaign! by YoshiMaster: 2:09pm On Apr 28, 2013
Biim: It shouldn't end with banning their movement during the day (most of them will definitely default and they may be involved in accidents,driving at night isn't that safe and easy),the government should construct separate roads for them.

No need for seperate roads, or even driving at night.

What we need is strict enforcement of driving laws (and the laws need not even be that crazy, just fines would do).

For instance, in the more developed countries, you feel safe when you are in your lane, your lane is precious, it is yours... So of course when someone just enters you lane willy nilly, it becomes a risk for a grave accident.

We might as well ban DANFOs also, cause these guys cause more accidents, just that there is no mass leakage of fuel involved.
Re: Banning Of Daytime Movement Of Fuel Tankers And Trailers In Nigeria Campaign! by nenergy(m): 2:10pm On Apr 28, 2013
Too many dead!! enough is enough!!! i support 1000 %
Re: Banning Of Daytime Movement Of Fuel Tankers And Trailers In Nigeria Campaign! by codeine123: 2:14pm On Apr 28, 2013
Supported!!!!
Re: Banning Of Daytime Movement Of Fuel Tankers And Trailers In Nigeria Campaign! by free2ryhme: 2:15pm On Apr 28, 2013
Did you know that in less than one month, over 100 people have died as a result of accidents involving fuel tankers and trailers?

what is the source of your statistics ..
Re: Banning Of Daytime Movement Of Fuel Tankers And Trailers In Nigeria Campaign! by pekelepekele(m): 2:19pm On Apr 28, 2013
Yoshi-Master:
LET US START WITH THE LITTLE THINGS LIKE ENFORCING STAYING IN YOUR LANE.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE PICTURE ON THE RIGHT BELOW?

NEXT TIME ANY OF YOU IS AT A ROUNDABOUT, PLEASE PAY ATTENTION TO HOW EVERYBODY DRIVES LIKE THE PICTURE ON THE RIGHT BELOW.

TELL POLICE TO ENFORCE THAT FIRST.

ANSWER. IT'S BECAUSE THERE IS A BIG POT HOLE THAT CAN DAMAGE A VEHICLE AT WHERE I PAINTED RED THAT THOSE TWO VEHICLES AT THE RIGHT ARROW ON THE BELOW IMAGE YOU POSTED IS TRYING TO DODGE, THAT IS NIGERIAN ROADS FOR YOU NOT ALWAYS THE DRIVERS FAULT

2 Likes

Re: Banning Of Daytime Movement Of Fuel Tankers And Trailers In Nigeria Campaign! by KokoBeware: 2:30pm On Apr 28, 2013
pekelepekele:

ANSWER IT'S BECAUSE THERE IS A BIG POT HOLE THAT CAN DAMAGE A VEHICLE AT WHERE I PAINTED RED THAT THOSE TWO VEHICLES AT THE RIGHT ARROW ON THE BELOW IMAGE YOU POSTED IS TRYING TO DODGE, THAT IS NIGERIAN ROADS FOR YOU NOT ALWAYS THE DRIVERS FAULT

Also you hardly see any road markings....
also everyone just pays 5k for driving license most people dont know anything about traffic signs not to talk of lane discipline
Re: Banning Of Daytime Movement Of Fuel Tankers And Trailers In Nigeria Campaign! by YoshiMaster: 2:33pm On Apr 28, 2013
pekelepekele:

ANSWER IT'S BECAUSE THERE IS A BIG POT HOLE THAT CAN DAMAGE A VEHICLE AT WHERE I PAINTED RED THAT THOSE TWO VEHICLES AT THE RIGHT ARROW ON THE BELOW IMAGE YOU POSTED IS TRYING TO DODGE, THAT IS NIGERIAN ROADS FOR YOU NOT ALWAYS THE DRIVERS FAULT

lol, you actually cracked me up, but there are a couple holes in your theory.

First even if the road is bad, i.e. there is a pothole on the road, the current lane user must still turn on his signal and SLOW DOWN before entering the other lanes (hence respecting the Lane users on the left). What you find mostly is these dudes just start changing lanes, with speed, without signalling, and it is left to the Lane users to the left to avoid being hit by them.

Secondly: You have made the assumption that all roundabouts in Nigeria are UNIVERSALLY bad, but we both know that this is not the case. What about the roundabouts at Lekki Highway, or the newly constructed roundabout in Lekki phase one with clear lane markings that people still do not adhere to.

You can sugar coat this all you like, but the truth is most people in Nigeria do not yet respect the idea of adhering to their lanes, and you keep seeing them swinging through lanes all over the place, only for them to tell you WAKA, when you do the right thing and stay in your lane.

1 Like

Re: Banning Of Daytime Movement Of Fuel Tankers And Trailers In Nigeria Campaign! by YoshiMaster: 2:43pm On Apr 28, 2013
KokoBeware:

also everyone just pays 5k for driving license most people dont know anything about traffic signs not to talk of lane discipline

So how do we fix lane discipline? This should be the question.

In the U.S, trailers do drive in the day time, but LANE DISCIPLINE as you so succinctly put it, ensures the safety of other road users.

Trailer movements are usually confined only to the right most lane (slow lane).
Re: Banning Of Daytime Movement Of Fuel Tankers And Trailers In Nigeria Campaign! by Nobody: 2:54pm On Apr 28, 2013
Personally banning heavy duty vehicles isn't the best option.

I believe the best should be:

1) Construct roads exclusively for heavy duty vehicles.

2) The drivers of such vehicles must go for drug and alcohol tests regularly. A lot of commercial drivers in Nigeria are alcoholics and drug addicts.

It still baffles me how such people are allowed to drive. Alcoholics and drug addicts must not be allowed to drive heavy duty vehicles. Companies who allow such individuals to, must be sanctioned.

3) All Nigerian drivers need to go for anger management class before they grace our roads.

Angry individual mustn't hold a steering wheel.

1 Like

Re: Banning Of Daytime Movement Of Fuel Tankers And Trailers In Nigeria Campaign! by pekelepekele(m): 3:00pm On Apr 28, 2013
Yoshi-Master:

lol, you actually cracked me up, but there are a couple holes in your theory.

First even if the road is bad, i.e. there is a pothole on the road, the current lane user must still turn on his signal and SLOW DOWN before entering the other lanes (hence respecting the Lane users on the left). What you find mostly is these dudes just start changing lanes, with speed, without signalling, and it is left to the Lane users to the left to avoid being hit by them.

Secondly: You have made the assumption that all roundabouts in Nigeria are UNIVERSALLY bad, but we both know that this is not the case. What about the roundabouts at Lekki Highway, or the newly constructed roundabout in Lekki phase one with clear lane markings that people still do not adhere to.

You can sugar coat this all you like, but the truth is most people in Nigeria do not yet respect the idea of adhering to their lanes, and you keep seeing them swinging through lanes all over the place, only for them to tell you WAKA, when you do the right thing and stay in your lane.

KokoBeware:

I understand you guys but you still have to understand the fact that their will always be bad drivers among us and another is this 65% of all accidents in the world are caused by mechanical faults and faulty roads while the rest 35% is said to be the drivers fault.

I once suffer a brake failure that cost me n50k to fix the mess it caused , destroying someone's fence and then panel beating the vehicle's body. I just thank God it wasn't more than that .

Second one was a close friend that the positive wire on his car battery suddenly remove while he is speeding at 50km/hr do you know what happened?.

I understand you guys clearly that some drivers are just crazy but we will always have them on the roads and besides that they are crazy they are still not ready to die grin .

So when they say an accident occur the blame might be placed on the driver but the truth is that the driver didn't leave his house praying to have an accident that day cheesy
Re: Banning Of Daytime Movement Of Fuel Tankers And Trailers In Nigeria Campaign! by Originalsly: 3:11pm On Apr 28, 2013
How can you promote this your solution without explanation? More than 100 people died as a result...how many were as a direct result of the collision and how many as a result of the explosion while trying to fetch away fuel? And you really believe the situation would not be as bad at nights? I think the solution is with the FG 1. Setting safety standards for the tankers 2. Special test and permit for tanker drivers 3. Rigid enforcement of 1 & 2 and 4. better roadways. Until then....talk until you drop...nothing will change.
Re: Banning Of Daytime Movement Of Fuel Tankers And Trailers In Nigeria Campaign! by Soso990240(m): 3:23pm On Apr 28, 2013
Abeg mk dm add container join..those big vehicle ar d problm we ar havin on our highway.
Re: Banning Of Daytime Movement Of Fuel Tankers And Trailers In Nigeria Campaign! by Localamos(m): 3:27pm On Apr 28, 2013
It's high time we stopped petrol tankers and other articulated vehicles from ply our roads during the daytime.
Re: Banning Of Daytime Movement Of Fuel Tankers And Trailers In Nigeria Campaign! by Nobody: 3:30pm On Apr 28, 2013
kingoflag:

In the last elections who did you vote for? If you voted PDP, then do yourself a favor, swallow whatever pain youre feeling ---- becuase you know, like I know, nobody is gonna listen to you---- and try to do what's right next go around.
It is not about who you voted for. Its a citizen's call!
In all honesty, what is wrong about this move? Tankers have been falling here and there, burning properties, roads, lives are lost etc and you are talking about who was voted for? I mean, where is the logic?
If you have any honour in you, sign up or shut up!

Posts like this really brings to the fore the real identities of NL members.
Little wonder the Op has got just 2 likes (me and some other person)
Re: Banning Of Daytime Movement Of Fuel Tankers And Trailers In Nigeria Campaign! by Demdem(m): 3:33pm On Apr 28, 2013
boron10: For the ban to be fair on the side of the motorists, the government should first ensure that every pliable road is well illuminated and security forces should be much at night to ensure the safety of the tanker and trailer drivers.

Hence, it will be another means of oppressing the lower class citizens(drivers) of the country.

A very good point u raised here. Tanker drivers are also humans that needs to be secured.
Re: Banning Of Daytime Movement Of Fuel Tankers And Trailers In Nigeria Campaign! by Ninilowo(m): 3:37pm On Apr 28, 2013
Yoshi-Master:

No need for seperate roads, or even driving at night.

What we need is strict enforcement of driving laws (and the laws need not even be that crazy, just fines would do).

For instance, in the more developed countries, you feel safe when you are in your lane, your lane is precious, it is yours... So of course when someone just enters you lane willy nilly, it becomes a risk for a grave accident.

We might as well ban DANFOs also, cause these guys cause more accidents, just that there is no mass leakage of fuel involved.
Infact, that DANFO issue is even more important than the isue at hand. 99% of the danfo drivers are nothing but INCURABLE LUNATICS
Re: Banning Of Daytime Movement Of Fuel Tankers And Trailers In Nigeria Campaign! by manny4life(m): 3:37pm On Apr 28, 2013
Banning truck, trailers and heavy duty trucks is not only silly but economically dangerous to a growing economy like Nigeria. Isn't it those trucks that deliver good to you every morning? Here's a simple scenario

Assuming that a Refinery in Port Harcourt is scheduled to deliver PMS products to Gas Station in Lagos, which is about 300+miles away, meanwhile this gas station is low on inventory.

From the consumer side It's more likely that the gas station will run out of inventory and what does that translate into - LOST REVENUE. When you have lost revenue, you can get it back as time flies. When u can't get it back, you may not be able to pay salaries, pay any debts, and what have you. Also, when you and I as final consumers go to that station to fill up and there's no gas - either u leave and return next day or u go else where, that's translated into wastage of resources - time and money - and has caused unnecessary inconvenience. This is a simple ripple effect of such ban

From the manufacturer/refiner side, excess unturned inventory without storage capacity is low revenues as well. You know why, gas stations will only adjust their schedules to meet their needs. In fact, the ripple effect will affect the economy directly.

If you ban tankers, trailers and what have u from moving in the daytime, it's very likely that Nigeria will lose billion by the day. Transportation, just like the actual goods being transported is a revenue component. What need to be done is strict enforcement/guidelines. All trucks must be road worthy... PERIOD.
Re: Banning Of Daytime Movement Of Fuel Tankers And Trailers In Nigeria Campaign! by free2ryhme: 3:42pm On Apr 28, 2013
Localamos: It's high time we stopped petrol tankers and other articulated vehicles from ply our roads during the daytime.

words are cheap action is expensive ...
Re: Banning Of Daytime Movement Of Fuel Tankers And Trailers In Nigeria Campaign! by lightofjoy(m): 3:44pm On Apr 28, 2013
They should be banned for day driving and should only be allowed for night movement.
I support the campaign.
Re: Banning Of Daytime Movement Of Fuel Tankers And Trailers In Nigeria Campaign! by modextus(m): 3:56pm On Apr 28, 2013
almasterpiece: 4th.
its going to end here. reason been that occupy 9ja even tried. what happened? nothing. Dana air its still flying.Pls op get some job
this ιѕ nairaland don't уσυ know the difference??
Re: Banning Of Daytime Movement Of Fuel Tankers And Trailers In Nigeria Campaign! by francescainnoce(f): 4:02pm On Apr 28, 2013
nice step but then do u think the FG care about its citizens , lest they would have done something about this because they not blind and they read the news...but then they seem heartless and less concern...
PARDON MY RUDENESS but I think we should pray for this government officials should fall victim to this sort of accident, I know their family members might be innocent but if only one of which can fall a victim....I think their would be an amendments....
GOD BLESS NIGERIA.....
Re: Banning Of Daytime Movement Of Fuel Tankers And Trailers In Nigeria Campaign! by vanstanzy(m): 4:03pm On Apr 28, 2013
Its a welcome development. grin grin
Re: Banning Of Daytime Movement Of Fuel Tankers And Trailers In Nigeria Campaign! by Reference(m): 4:05pm On Apr 28, 2013
cr7lomo.:
Oda countries transport dangerous and flamable liquid substance thru d rails and even if u c dia tankers or trailers, u wud know that they are even more road worthy than som personal clean vehicles ownd in our country. How can a trailer run for over 40 or 50 yrs and they allow them 2 kip on killin.

He, he, he. Chai. You can do better than this nau. How many gas stations have rail links.

Op. The logistics involved is just massive. We didn't get to this point overnight. From the location of gas stations, decayed distribution infrastructure, investment policy, crime, regulatory and enforcement lapses, etc need to be addressed before any ban can be considered.

For now we simply cannot afford a ban. It is impossible to distribute the enormous quantities of pet.products we consume daily in a six or twelve hour window.

And by the way when they say support deregulation to stimulate investment while cutting wasteful imports we say no. We want abundant, cheap gas. So.
Re: Banning Of Daytime Movement Of Fuel Tankers And Trailers In Nigeria Campaign! by slimfit1(m): 4:07pm On Apr 28, 2013
What you need is good roads and driving regulations. Even car drivers don't know between their left to right. Its not logistical to say you want certain vehicle to move at a certain time tanker drivers have to do business as well.
Re: Banning Of Daytime Movement Of Fuel Tankers And Trailers In Nigeria Campaign! by Reference(m): 4:20pm On Apr 28, 2013
manny4life: Banning truck, trailers and heavy duty trucks is not only silly but economically dangerous to a growing economy like Nigeria. Isn't it those trucks that deliver good to you every morning? Here's a simple scenario

Assuming that a Refinery in Port Harcourt is scheduled to deliver PMS products to Gas Station in Lagos, which is about 300+miles away, meanwhile this gas station is low on inventory.

From the consumer side It's more likely that the gas station will run out of inventory and what does that translate into - LOST REVENUE. When you have lost revenue, you can get it back as time flies. When u can't get it back, you may not be able to pay salaries, pay any debts, and what have you. Also, when you and I as final consumers go to that station to fill up and there's no gas - either u leave and return next day or u go else where, that's translated into wastage of resources - time and money - and has caused unnecessary inconvenience. This is a simple ripple effect of such ban

From the manufacturer/refiner side, excess unturned inventory without storage capacity is low revenues as well. You know why, gas stations will only adjust their schedules to meet their needs. In fact, the ripple effect will affect the economy directly.

If you ban tankers, trailers and what have u from moving in the daytime, it's very likely that Nigeria will lose billion by the day. Transportation, just like the actual goods being transported is a revenue component. What need to be done is strict enforcement/guidelines. All trucks must be road worthy... PERIOD.

Thanks. Someone's thinking here. When Lagos state government woke up one morning and announced a ban on trucks and articulated vehicles I just thought to myself wow. That's the state's GDP cut in half. It means little or no fuel, no goods, poor services and even EKO Atlantic will take decades more to complete. Massive numbers of people will simply leave the construction, haulage, manufacturing, petroleum industries leading to higher costs in hiring batmen.
Re: Banning Of Daytime Movement Of Fuel Tankers And Trailers In Nigeria Campaign! by ZACHIE: 4:22pm On Apr 28, 2013
rail train.........
Re: Banning Of Daytime Movement Of Fuel Tankers And Trailers In Nigeria Campaign! by Vansnickers: 4:50pm On Apr 28, 2013
kingoflag:

In the last elections who did you vote for? If you voted PDP, then do yourself a favor, swallow whatever pain youre feeling ---- becuase you know, like I know, nobody is gonna listen to you---- and try to do what's right next go around.

You won't be talking like this if one of your Relations was among the casualties. The people that died are not from Mars, they are someone's mother,father, child. Some people need a class in compassion, I'm not a follower of any organized Religion, yet I genuinely feel compassion for my fellow human.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Jonathan Initiates Probe Of AGF Adoke! / LASTMA To Adopt New System Of Booking Offenders / Do Nigerian Embassies Around The World Open When Nigeria Has A Public Holiday?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.