Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,492 members, 7,819,803 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:51 PM

Banning Of Daytime Movement Of Fuel Tankers And Trailers In Nigeria Campaign! - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Banning Of Daytime Movement Of Fuel Tankers And Trailers In Nigeria Campaign! (13582 Views)

160 Fuel Tankers Allocated To The North, 40 To The South-West / Customs Impounds 3 Trailers In Katsina, Conveying Contraband Goods / Video: Fuel Tankers Leaving Ubah's Capital Oil Depot To Distribute Fuel Now (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Banning Of Daytime Movement Of Fuel Tankers And Trailers In Nigeria Campaign! by tess22: 11:11am On Apr 29, 2013
@ Shine u eyes and Crackhouse, thanks for the encouragement.
I know lots of people have failed in pursuit of change campaigns in Nigeria, but I refuse to be discouraged.
This is simply the right thing to do. I am just tired of doing nothing about the almost daily occurrence of accidents. I hope through this campaign the FRSC and the government will realise that Nigerians are tired of dying daily on the roads.
Thanks
Re: Banning Of Daytime Movement Of Fuel Tankers And Trailers In Nigeria Campaign! by adconline(m): 12:50pm On Apr 29, 2013
yinchar:
See people talking about MONEY when we talking about LIFE Mscheeewwwwwwww
because u don't understand people's lives are going to be affected if they are banned. Drivers will go on strike. A litre of petrol could go up to N200. Prices of good will go up by 50-100%
Re: Banning Of Daytime Movement Of Fuel Tankers And Trailers In Nigeria Campaign! by vivaciousvivi(f): 4:24pm On Apr 29, 2013
I support your campaign! Let's go there
Re: Banning Of Daytime Movement Of Fuel Tankers And Trailers In Nigeria Campaign! by adetsim(m): 6:54pm On Apr 29, 2013
Scarpon: tanker drivers are people and that's their job

So you are saying because they are people and their job is to be slaughtering innocent citizens through carelessness. Statements like this one show callousness of the highest order. Are we not all human beings? Government should responsibly go beyond baning them on roads during the day, government should enforce thorough discipline on their addiction to narcotics while driving as well as checking their speed limit.
Re: Banning Of Daytime Movement Of Fuel Tankers And Trailers In Nigeria Campaign! by tess22: 9:26am On Apr 30, 2013
@adconline, I understand that any change is always resisted. But what do you propose to end the carnage? Are we going to let the FEAR of strikes prevent us from doing the right thing to safe guard lives.
NURTW is notorious for going on strike over anything, even when there were asked to stop parking illegally on the highways and to use their parks instead. Will we continue to let this group get away with daily slaughter of innocent Nigerians just because of strikes?

If we insist on the right thing and uphold the ban, they MIGHT go on strike, but they will call it off eventually. I don't mind a bit of sacrifice today, in order to have a safer tomorrow.
Re: Banning Of Daytime Movement Of Fuel Tankers And Trailers In Nigeria Campaign! by angayejuni: 10:50am On Apr 30, 2013
these are bills that should be passe not fraudulent bills to eat our money|!!! Imagine all the people who have perished because of other peoples carelessness
Re: Banning Of Daytime Movement Of Fuel Tankers And Trailers In Nigeria Campaign! by stuhporh: 3:20pm On Apr 30, 2013
tess22: Walk The Talk: Ban Daytime Movement Of Fuel Tankers And Trailers In Nigeria!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” – Edmund Burke

Did you know that in less than one month, over 100 people have died as a result of accidents involving fuel tankers and trailers? Just yesterday another accident involving a trailer claimed 5 more lives in Anambra State. Innocent men, women and children have been burnt to ashes and crushed to death because fuel tanker and trailer drivers have refused to pay heed to traffic regulations. The victims of those accidents never bargained for it, it could happen to anyone tomorrow.

Its not enough to say R.I.P, will you channel your anger and frustrations to making a difference or will you continue to act indifferent? If you are willing, then please join the campaign to ban daytime movement of fuel tankers and trailers, on the following pages, also feel free to drop comments and suggestions.
Thank you.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/StopFuelTankerAccidentsNow

Twitter (@StopRoadCarnage)

Online Petition: https://www.change.org/petitions/the-minister-of-transport-nigeria-ban-daytime-movement-of-fuel-tankers-and-trailers-2

Most of you guys including op must really think all the tankers you see carries PMS OR AGO alone. There are many reason why even government will not think of that. In a country where there isn't affordable cooking gas, Power, dedicated rail for bulk chemicals transportation. You guys should calm down. The government will not pass this law, and if they do they dumb fellows. Development is a chain. one thing leads to another, and definitely there has to be a solid foundation which the next thing stands on.
Now, this foundation which links developmental plans together is what our leaders lack. We need to put in place infrastructures that can make drivers and company owners responsible for damages, without giving the a chance to escape.
Let me summarize this. the public Offices and department is in a mess. My heart goes out to all that have lost their lives to tanker accidents, but what do we say about Bokoharam, or those that got killed due to loss of jobs, Okada. They are all human and NIGERIAN. we solve this collectively and one solution is fixing the Public department. from local govt to police force
Re: Banning Of Daytime Movement Of Fuel Tankers And Trailers In Nigeria Campaign! by tess22: 7:28pm On Apr 30, 2013
@stuhporh, I thank you for taking the time to comment, I know a holistic approach is always better, but you and I know Nigeria! There are laws and regulations, recommendations, etc for tackling this madness on our roads, but very rarely are they implemented or enforced. What is the result? Almost daily reports of accidents, most unreported because the casualty figure is too small. Did you know that in just 3 years (2007 - 2010) tankers and trailer accidents claimed the lives of over four thousand lives?!

Its easy for some people to look at the cons of this campaign. I'm sure people opposed the end of slavery, people even bad-mouthed those campaigning to end apartheid or racism. But today we all enjoy the efforts of people who stood for what was right.
Until the holistic approach starts working, Nigerians deserve safer roads!
Re: Banning Of Daytime Movement Of Fuel Tankers And Trailers In Nigeria Campaign! by adconline(m): 9:23am On May 02, 2013
tess22: @adconline, I understand that any change is always resisted. But what do you propose to end the carnage? Are we going to let the FEAR of strikes prevent us from doing the right thing to safe guard lives.
NURTW is notorious for going on strike over anything, even when there were asked to stop parking illegally on the highways and to use their parks instead. Will we continue to let this group get away with daily slaughter of innocent Nigerians just because of strikes?

If we insist on the right thing and uphold the ban, they MIGHT go on strike, but they will call it off eventually. I don't mind a bit of sacrifice today, in order to have a safer tomorrow.

If you have a headache, do you cut off the head? Truckers move the nation. The govt should enforce traffic laws, make sure that drivers are trained. In a country where driver's license is obtained in absentia, how do you expect drivers to be properly trained?
Re: Banning Of Daytime Movement Of Fuel Tankers And Trailers In Nigeria Campaign! by Nobody: 9:58am On May 02, 2013
[size=13pt]Gbam!
To find a permanent solution to a problem it is always better to identify the root cause.

That 100 people died in accidents involving tankers in one month may not be significant; how many died in accidents not involving tankers?

What caused the accidents?
was it:

Pot holes?

Unsafe driving from tanker drivers?

Unsafe driving from other motorists?

Animals crossing the road?

Pedestrians crossing the roads ?

poor maintenance of tanker vehicles?

poor maintenance of other vehicles on the road?

people scooping fuel after a tanker accident?

The govt's failure to alert the public about the dangers of scooping fuel?

Slow response times of emergency services including fire brigade in road traffic accidents?

I fear that banning tankers in daytime may only slightly reduce the numbers of pedestrians killed but not by much but may not necessarily decrease number of people killed overall by accidents involving tankers.

The number of tanker accidents

Reducing road accidents by tackling the root causes of road accidents and also implementing health and safety laws for transportation of flammable and toxic substances is the way to reduce the number of deaths on our roads.

[/size]

spikes C: They've already been banned to move at night.
Like the FG, you have no clue of what you have to do. You didn't do any research, you just opened a facebook page and twitter profile because you think you can without considering the conditions of the oppressed.

1. Repair the federal roads.
2. Motor Licensing officers give "road worthiness" to people without seeing the cars in question.
3. Drivers should tend to their cars (especially brakes) every morning.
4. FRSC is a failed system. The blood of most accident victims are on their head.
Re: Banning Of Daytime Movement Of Fuel Tankers And Trailers In Nigeria Campaign! by tess22: 1:19pm On May 03, 2013
@adconline and GenBuhari(nice name btw), I totally understand what both of you and others are saying. The FRSC was established to do just that, ENFORCE, traffic laws to save lives. But we all know that they only flex their muscles with private car owners. We all see these crazy tanker drivers with their bloodshot eyes driving recklessly on the roads, the FRSC also sees them, yet what do they do? Absolutely nothing! They know the companies that allow their drivers to drive badly maintained trucks and trailers, yet do they prosecute them? Not at all.

For those of us who live overseas, we know all too well the penalty of causing death by dangerous driving. People have been sentenced to prison, without the option of fines, and their licenses suspended when they killed someone. In Nigeria, you can kill as many people as you like, no one will bat an eyelid. Why do you think these drivers continue killing Nigerians, its simple, no one will prosecute them. The FRSC always says it will, but never does.

Since the FRSC has failed to carry out its primary duties, then I think we should rise up and say enough is enough.
What would you do if you heard that at least seven planes crashed in just one month? The people who die on our roads are human beings too and had hopes, dreams and loved ones.

"No disease kils Nigerians like road accidents" - Osita Chidoka Corps Marshal of FRSC
"Nigeria is the second country with the highest number of fatal road accidents worldwide" - Professor Onyebuchi Chukwu,
Minister for Health,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

APC To Unveil Buhari Government’s Policy Direction Wednesday / LASTMA To Adopt New System Of Booking Offenders / Arms Deal:probe Shifts To Navy, Billions Of Naira Unexecuted Contracts Uncovered

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.