Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,109 members, 7,814,893 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:17 PM

Divorce In Nigeria - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Divorce In Nigeria (17396 Views)

"My Husband Uses ‘Aboniki’ Balm As Lubricant" – Woman Files For Divorce / Top Ten Reason For Divorce In 2012 / Conditions For Divorce In Christianity, and [Some Legal] Grounds for Annulment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Divorce In Nigeria by noobiesin: 5:20pm On Apr 30, 2013
Lawyers,

Please I want to know how soon two consenting parties can get divorced in the courts in Nigeria. As in what's the earliest that the divorce can be finalized after filing proceedings?

Thanks for your responses.

1 Like

Re: Divorce In Nigeria by coogar: 5:29pm On Apr 30, 2013
noobiesin: Lawyers,
Please I want to know how soon two consenting parties can get divorced in the courts in Nigeria. As in what's the earliest that the divorce can be finalized after filing proceedings?

Thanks for your responses.

it can be done with immediate effect as long as you can rub few palms. with as little as N50k in lagos and an evidence of infidelity or gross misconduct, you are good to go!
Re: Divorce In Nigeria by noobiesin: 5:32pm On Apr 30, 2013
Okay thanks.
Re: Divorce In Nigeria by coogar: 5:52pm On Apr 30, 2013
noobiesin: Okay thanks.

why do you need such though?
divorce should be the last resort especially if kids are involved.

2 Likes

Re: Divorce In Nigeria by noobiesin: 6:10pm On Apr 30, 2013
Hmmmmmm, my brother, long story but God will take care of the kid. I just need the info. I know 1 year must lapse b4 divorce proceedings can commence in court. I'm waiting for one year to be complete. Are u a lawyer? Or do u know any reliable divorce lawyer who can help file the case? Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Divorce In Nigeria by coogar: 6:13pm On Apr 30, 2013
noobiesin: Hmmmmmm, my brother, long story but God will take care of the kid. I just need the info. I know 1 year must lapse b4 divorce proceedings can commence in court. I'm waiting for one year to be complete. Are u a lawyer? Or do u know any reliable divorce lawyer who can help file the case? Thanks.

i am not a lawyer but i know for sure these things can be fast-tracked. i reiterate, divorce should be the last resort!

3 Likes

Re: Divorce In Nigeria by biolabee(m): 6:18pm On Apr 30, 2013
noobiesin: Hmmmmmm, my brother, long story but God will take care of the kid. I just need the info. I know 1 year must lapse b4 divorce proceedings can commence in court. I'm waiting for one year to be complete. Are u a lawyer? Or do u know any reliable divorce lawyer who can help file the case? Thanks.

I agree with the coogar on this... what is makin you consider divorce
is your life at stake,,, do you want to keep the child,.... have all dispute resolution mechanisms failed,..... is there someone else in the picture...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Divorce In Nigeria by noobiesin: 6:30pm On Apr 30, 2013
Thanks. Ur advice is duly noted. Any lawyer you can recommend?

No there's nobody else in the picture. Yes. It's life threatening as far as I'm concerned. My research has shown that the best I can get as the father is joint control, cos some things can't be proven in court. So I'll just keep praying for my daughter. Jazz things n all that. I really don't want to put my story out on the net. Just need to get some info I couldn't get on google.

Thanks

3 Likes

Re: Divorce In Nigeria by slimyem: 6:32pm On Apr 30, 2013
noobiesin: Okay thanks.
Better don't believe the crap you are saying thanks to.
Divorce is not that fast or immediate.Don't waste your money rubbing useless palms.

Whether you rub palms or not,the first thing they'll tell you in court is to try reconcilliation and come back in a number of months and then a lot of other hearings and adjournments.
I know this because i know a friend going thru the same.
Talk to a laywer.

2 Likes

Re: Divorce In Nigeria by biolabee(m): 6:36pm On Apr 30, 2013
noobiesin: Thanks. Ur advice is duly noted. Any lawyer you can recommend?

No there's nobody else in the picture. Yes. It's life threatening as far as I'm concerned. My research has shown that the best I can get as the father is joint control, cos some things can't be proven in court. So I'll just keep praying for my daughter. Jazz things n all that. I really don't want to put my story out on the net. Just need to get some info I couldn't get on google.

Thanks

well in that case, get a reputable lawyer...since you say you are both consenting

since things have gone diabolical.. May God help you
if that is your decision,Just try and be responsible for that child because girl children are fragile especially if neglected by thier dads...

Contact lawyer on the property section, he may be able to recommend one or two family lawyers

3 Likes

Re: Divorce In Nigeria by noobiesin: 6:53pm On Apr 30, 2013
@ Slimyem, pls, are both parties consenting to the divorce in your friend's case?

@ Biolabee, thanks, I'll contact lawyer in property section. I'll be there for my kid, it's better I'm alive to take care of her than for some wicked woman with her mother waste my life.

2 Likes

Re: Divorce In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:55pm On Apr 30, 2013
noobiesin: . I'll be there for my kid, it's better I'm alive to take care of her than for some wicked woman with her mother waste my life.

She needs you alive oh, Dads are daughters best friend/ confidant . Good luck!

#thingsfallapart
Re: Divorce In Nigeria by slimyem: 6:57pm On Apr 30, 2013
noobiesin: @ Slimyem, pls, are both parties consenting to the divorce in your friend's case?

Not really.The other party though uninterested in the union has been uncooperative and uninterested in the proceedings too.
Goodluck to you.
Re: Divorce In Nigeria by biolabee(m): 6:57pm On Apr 30, 2013
noobiesin: @ Slimyem, pls, are both parties consenting to the divorce in your friend's case?

@ Biolabee, thanks, I'll contact lawyer in property section. I'll be there for my kid, it's better I'm alive to take care of her than for some wicked woman with her mother waste my life.

May God help us all

Maybe you can use the same lawyer as slimyems friend
Re: Divorce In Nigeria by slimyem: 7:00pm On Apr 30, 2013
biolabee:

May God help us all

Maybe you can use the same lawyer as slimyems friend
shocked
Biola,abeg o.I nor sabi who lawyer be.
Na behind the scene i dey for the matter o.lipsrsealed
May God help us all too. cool
Re: Divorce In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:03pm On Apr 30, 2013
Poster talk to lawyer on property section for referral and stop messing around here.
Re: Divorce In Nigeria by biolabee(m): 7:23pm On Apr 30, 2013
slimyem: shocked

no wahala.....

amen o

Op all i will say is try all dispute resolution measures
divorce is irreparable..
Re: Divorce In Nigeria by baby124: 7:26pm On Apr 30, 2013
OP, go to the court house. They should give you better information and am sure you will be able to get divorce lawyer references or information relating to that. If your life is threatened by her and you can prove that, then no problem. Na wa, maybe the jazz just clear your eye. See gobe! Jazz wahala. lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Divorce In Nigeria by coogar: 7:30pm On Apr 30, 2013
noobiesin: Thanks. Ur advice is duly noted. Any lawyer you can recommend?

Thanks

divorce can be costly especially with a child involved.
if things don't go your way or you happen to get a feminist presiding the case, be prepared to lose a sizeable chunk of your wealth to your wife. so consider your options very well before going at it full pelt!

1 Like

Re: Divorce In Nigeria by SisiKill1: 7:33pm On Apr 30, 2013
I can bet my bottom dollar that the first couple of advice were given on the assumption that OP was a woman.

As soon as OP identified himself as male...so the quick switcheroo!!

Hahahahaha! I love this section. cheesy cheesy tongue

1 Like

Re: Divorce In Nigeria by coogar: 7:40pm On Apr 30, 2013
Sisi_Kill: I can bet my bottom dollar that the first couple of advice were given on the assumption that OP was a woman.

nah - i knew he was a man from the get-go!
men tend to cut down to the chase and go straight to the point while women would add a gallon of emotional tales to win sympathy.

if the op's a woman then the post would go.....

"please, i want to know how soon 2 consenting parties can get divorced in nigeria because i am tired of my husband. he's abusive, he slapped me 6 times this morning for praying in silence and reh reh reh"

sisikill, we sabi una!

11 Likes

Re: Divorce In Nigeria by SisiKill1: 7:46pm On Apr 30, 2013
coogar:

nah - i knew he was a man from the get-go!
men tend to cut down to the chase and go straight to the point while women would add a gallon of emotional tales to win sympathy.

if the op's a woman then the post would go.....

"please, i want to know how soon 2 consenting parties can get divorced in nigeria because i am tired of my husband. he's abusive, he slapped me 6 times this morning for praying in silence and reh reh reh"

sisikill, we sabi una!

Bwhahahahahaha!! cheesy cheesy

Okay, I'll give you that.

1 Like

Re: Divorce In Nigeria by biolabee(m): 7:52pm On Apr 30, 2013
Sisi_Kill: I can bet my bottom dollar that the first couple of advice were given on the assumption that OP was a woman.

take it easy woman and stop looking for enemies in your shadow
the advice has been consistent and against divorce but the guy wants it

1 Like

Re: Divorce In Nigeria by SisiKill1: 7:58pm On Apr 30, 2013
biolabee:

take it easy woman and stop looking for enemies in your shadow
the advice has been consistent and against divorce but the guy wants it

*Scratching head*

What the eff...ah, ain't worth it.

Moving on. . .

So Coogar as we were saying jare. . .how else can you tell a woman's posts from a man's.

Come 'ere, spill your secrets

1 Like

Re: Divorce In Nigeria by coogar: 8:00pm On Apr 30, 2013
Sisi_Kill:
So Coogar as we were saying jare. . .how else can you tell a woman's posts from a man's.

Come 'ere, spill your secrets

trade secrets, my friend!

2 Likes

Re: Divorce In Nigeria by i1: 3:43am On May 04, 2013
At poster: well if the parties consent aπϑ there are no kids/ properties then it can be done within 6 months. Would have posted a timeline! Ps: fastracking cannot be done except you want fake documents. Ps: what we advise instead is forum shopping to make it quicker! Ps: whoever said lagos has never gone to court in lagos.
U can always buzz me. I am a lawyer
Re: Divorce In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:49am On Sep 10, 2013
Please can I have the details of the divorce lawyer?
Re: Divorce In Nigeria by sugardaddy1(m): 11:58am On Sep 10, 2013
@OP, eme+ify
I once searched desperately for a divorce lawyer but found none. Today, I am a lot happier for not following the divorce path.
May the good Lord who settled my family do same for yours (Amen). smiley

1 Like

Re: Divorce In Nigeria by amtheone(m): 12:36pm On Sep 10, 2013
slimyem: shocked

Slimi so u can be this scared. I used to think that you are very strong - Lol.

You really made me laugh out so loud.
Re: Divorce In Nigeria by bngene: 4:36am On Aug 02, 2014
I can advise u cos my own divorce case is almost completed if not for the strike. Mine is similar tours anyways, baby involved, young marriage as well, and diabolical things involved....I understand divorce is harder than marriage...but, sometimes, it's a way out of what might befall u in the future cos the strength u have now to bear the infidelity of a partner...u might not be able to withstand it in the future when u have built so deep ur trust on ur unfaithful partner. If u need the service of the lawyers that has helped brought my own case this far...buzz me.

1 Like

Re: Divorce In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:14am On Dec 18, 2014
pls i need to speak with your lawyer, i need a divorce. i am married to the wrong woman who pretended to me. pls reply
bngene:
I can advise u cos my own divorce case is almost completed if not for the strike. Mine is similar tours anyways, baby involved, young marriage as well, and diabolical things involved....I understand divorce is harder than marriage...but, sometimes, it's a way out of what might befall u in the future cos the strength u have now to bear the infidelity of a partner...u might not be able to withstand it in the future when u have built so deep ur trust on ur unfaithful partner. If u need the service of the lawyers that has helped brought my own case this far...buzz me.

1 Like

Re: Divorce In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:22pm On Jan 30, 2015
I have similar case of a woman who is seriously threatening my life. Though she has no child yet but seriously fighting for property. Please help me with a lawyer who can start and Mr bngene, please cos she has collaborated with the police in my area and they are all threatening me.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Birthday Gift For Mum,advise Pls / 23-year-old Mechanic Disappears, Family Seeks Help / If Your Husband Has A Child Out Of Wedlock

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.