Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,490 members, 7,819,781 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:08 PM

What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? - Jobs/Vacancies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? (54486 Views)

Job Seekers: What Course Did U Study? / What Course Did You Study / Job Seekers: What Course Did You Study (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by cogsej06(m): 4:59pm On May 01, 2013
kunle86: Agric engineering.

Very wrong.....
Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by ocheejemb: 4:59pm On May 01, 2013
50calibre:

You are right, work experience superceeds degrees in some cases but if its your first job, then what counts is your qualification on paper.

If there are two fresh graduates vying for a position in a law firm, one with a law degree, the other with a marketing degree. Who do you think would be employed.

Yeah well I should have added for most courses. Apart from Law and Medicine which almost certainly set you up for life (if you are willing for them too even).
Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by Nobody: 4:59pm On May 01, 2013
Richy.:
Hausa,Igbo or Yoruba unless you want to be a local news caster. then it is cool. you can always do Masters degree in Hausa grin
For you information, Dele Momodu, the owner of Ovation and a good columnist read Yoruba in OAU. I Know lecturers in that department whose written and spoken English is far better than that of "graduates" of today.
Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by MaziOmenuko: 5:00pm On May 01, 2013
This thread is really exposing how dumb some of us are.
Someone actually mentioned English lang, Geology, Computer Sc. Wtf!!!

@topic: Inasmuch as most courses are relevant in one way or the other, I'm of the profound opinion that some courses are too streamlined to be on their own. Instead of offering courses such as zology, entomology, fishery and its likes, they all should be grouped into Animal science.
Same vein, courses such as Botany, horticulture and its like should be merged into plant science; then both plant science and animal science should be an off-shoot of Agricultural Science.

Same way courses like petrochemical engr, petroleum engr, Polymer engr, Reservoir engr, Gas and nuclear engr should be merged into Chemical Engr: then a graduate of Chemical engr can branch off to the other smaller branches during his Masters.

But Nigeria universities keep sprouting up new departments with parallel course contents.

My 2 cents though.

3 Likes

Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by Phonon: 5:01pm On May 01, 2013
If you must study any 'chicken and chips' course in the university,do yourself and your family good by getting a first class so that when any good opportunity comes in that field (which might be rare),you would be in a good position to grab it.I did not mention any course o.
Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by Idokojimmy: 5:01pm On May 01, 2013
ernpero okeke: PHILOSOPHY grin grin grin grin grin
Its unfortunate that some people without firm grip of the rudiments of logic identify philosophy with this thread, when they Should be recommending it to nigerians leaders. When Plato said the state will know no peace untill a philosopher king emerges, he was only saying good leadership which nigeria clamor for can be easily solved with philosophy. What then does philosophy offer? Branches of philo like ethics will teach leaders morality, with it, assassinations and corruption will wither. Logic will teach them systematic reasoning, which will erode policies that have no direct bearing on the masses. Political philosophy will teach them the best pol. Theory and how best it can be applied. Aesthetics will assist us in our tourism. Metaphysics will reveal the existence of a being beyond d empirical, which could as well guide human actions.

The ancient greek became bad as a result of lack of virtue. Socrates d only upright man was sentenced to death. Plato established d first university where he taught athenians philosophy so as to correct d ills associated with the state. Now we have an undesired society even though its getting better. But d truth is, philosophy cures all.

3 Likes

Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by Nobody: 5:03pm On May 01, 2013
50calibre:

Ask the women what exactly they did before getting the job, you just might be missing a piece of the puzzle.

Lol I laugh @ you....

Now I've worked a few places in this life as an IT contractor in Nigeria, UK and the Middle-east..

My last boss was a Hungarian woman who went being a Bar Manager to being Head of IT in Large Managed Services. Firm.

You can't generalise because you've been unlucky in life

2 Likes

Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by Soloblincus(m): 5:03pm On May 01, 2013
Do not sturdy computer science and any engineering course in nigeria. U will only stress yourself for nothing. Dats all
Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by Nobody: 5:04pm On May 01, 2013
Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by dayokanu(m): 5:04pm On May 01, 2013
Music and Dance.

Romance languages.

If you think this is a joke google it
Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by 50calibre(m): 5:05pm On May 01, 2013
jackbauerspower:

Swear down....

Most till attendants at Tesco/sainsbo/asda et al have got degrees

Even the dude in the club toilet doing 'Fresh up Bruv' work has a masters

Degrees don't define our careers...We chart our own paths!

Degrees don't define paths but the increases ones chances and career prospects. That guy with a degree you see manning the tills at Tesco or asda may tomorrow be at Barclays Bank behind his computer whereas his colleagues without a degree remain at Tesco manning tills or stacking up shelves.

4 Likes

Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by moodswing(m): 5:05pm On May 01, 2013
Yoruba Language
Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by Nobody: 5:05pm On May 01, 2013
50calibre:

Ask the women what exactly they did before getting the job, you just might be missing a piece of the puzzle.

They worked as receptionists, waitresses, personal assistants. They went to numerous banks trying for a job until they got it.
Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by Sholexmusics: 5:08pm On May 01, 2013
donwilly3: Music because it is some1's callin
Who's callin who Pls dnt deceive urself. I'm a studied music, nd Its workin 4 me.
Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by Ehimax(m): 5:09pm On May 01, 2013
chimexcomm: MICROBIOLOGYY

For the fact that your cgpa is below 1.0 in the department doesn't make the discipline worthless tongue

2 Likes

Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by Nobody: 5:11pm On May 01, 2013
law
Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by topmostg: 5:11pm On May 01, 2013
Sholexmusics: I'm a studied music, nd Its workin 4 me.
OMG!

6 Likes

Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by Nobody: 5:12pm On May 01, 2013
dearestsewa: @Phonon, infact u spoke my mind. Hw can u study archeology or classics or sm obsolete courses &xpect a job wen u wl b competing wt informatn tech, law, finance mgt tech grads? My advice, google d jobs in demand by 2030, choose d one u lyk and study ahead of it. I also did dat research few days ago.
grin
Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by 50calibre(m): 5:13pm On May 01, 2013
jackbauerspower:

Lol I laugh @ you....

Now I've worked a few places in this life as an IT contractor in Nigeria, UK and the Middle-east..

My last boss was a Hungarian woman who went being a Bar Manager to being Head of IT in Large Managed Services. Firm.

You can't generalise because you've been unlucky in life

Hahaha! How do you know I've been unlucky in life do you have telepathic powers? Or is this the kind of wild guesses you make while working as an IT consultant?

I know people can work in a different field from what they studied but it is rare. I'm tired of hearing the same old " a guy with a Yoruba degree working in an oil company " crap. It is rare, it is more likely not to happen than happen.

If it were that easy, most of my school mates who studies courses like zoology, botany etc would all be employed.

If you are to advise your kid, advise him/her to do courses that increases ones employability not hanging on to some wild fat fetched dream.

3 Likes

Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by Nobody: 5:13pm On May 01, 2013
dearestsewa: @Phonon, infact u spoke my mind. Hw can u study archeology or classics or sm obsolete courses &xpect a job wen u wl b competing wt informatn tech, law, finance mgt tech grads? My advice, google d jobs in demand by 2030, choose d one u lyk and study ahead of it. I also did dat research few days ago.
grin shocked shocked
Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by kumbalo(m): 5:19pm On May 01, 2013
Vertinary medicine
philosophy
sociology
Forestry
Psychology
Foreign languages(few people get lucky with an opportunity to be an interpreter)
Don't take the above listed courses if you would not be in the academia
Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by kumbalo(m): 5:23pm On May 01, 2013
moodswing: Yoruba Language
books authoured in this language still sell.
Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by 50calibre(m): 5:24pm On May 01, 2013
adaobi123:

They worked as receptionists, waitresses, personal assistants. They went to numerous banks trying for a job until they got it.

Ok. Please what are you studying or intend to study.
Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by Nobody: 5:25pm On May 01, 2013
50calibre:

Ok. Please what are you studying or intend to study.

pharmacy
Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by Phonon: 5:25pm On May 01, 2013
If you have solid analytical abilities and you have love for science,study PHYSICS.If you are looking for a job after graduation,you would not be lacking.

1.FINANCE
Physics graduates are highly sought for their analytical abilities and they are employed as "quants" in Investment Banks.A field known as "econophysics" which uses the principles of theoretical physics such as fractals, in financial modelling,analysis etc.

2.OIL AND GAS INDUSTRY
Physics graduates are employed as instrumentation engineers,geophysicists,petrophysicists and field engineers.An Msc in Exploration Geophysics would boost your chances.

3.TELECOMMUNICATIONS
Physics graduates are employed as Microwave Engineers,Solution Architects etc Many principles of physics ranging from waves,electronics,optoelectronics,ionospheric physics are critical in this industry.Companies in Nigeria in this sector include Ericsson,Aviat Networks,Alcatel-Lucent,Nokia-Siemens,Huawei.The operators have outsourced most of their technical roles.

4.HEALTHCARE
Graduates of physics are employed as radiologists and medical physicists.The MRI machine, the X-ray machine etc were invented by physicists.A masters in Medical Physics would do the trick.A career as a Biomedical Engineer is also in the offing where you could be involved in the design of artificial organs,prosthetics and other devices.(JUST GO ABROAD AND NEVER COME BACK FOR THIS OPTION.YOU WILL STARVE IF YOU TRY IT HERE)

to be continued...

4 Likes

Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by neksummi(m): 5:26pm On May 01, 2013
None.
Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by calapicha(m): 5:26pm On May 01, 2013
Shaw007: Who is That Re.tard that mentioned Geology?? . . . So we still have ignorant brains in this country!!!

Go forth and study Reservoir Engineering Instead na!!
Shaw007: Who is That Re.tard that mentioned Geology?? . . . So we still have ignorant brains in this country!!!

You can say that again

2 Likes

Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by Kingsteve(m): 5:29pm On May 01, 2013
Igbo education
Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by olu4life(m): 5:29pm On May 01, 2013
chimexcomm: MICROBIOLOGYY
Dude,ur IQ needs to be checked.
But i'm disappointed at some of the listed courses here. Some are so relevant but the mentality of 'anything goes' is killing us. We all depend of links for jobs instead of looking for placement in ur fields. Before u rubbish a course,go read up what its about before condemning it. Kappish

1 Like

Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by Nobody: 5:29pm On May 01, 2013
boron10:
Yes grin the study of sand, clay and loam.
lol dude, just shut ur trap n move forward. U definitely knw nuffin abt soil science and any other agric course for that matter. I hv read what other 'ignoramuses' like u posted, some even mentioned forestry n vertinary medicine as useless courses! Well, i cant imagine myself arguing with y'all on this, but lets just say: dont trash talk anything that u knw nuffin abt

1 Like

Re: What Course Would You Not Advise Anyone To Study? by ifemiide: 5:31pm On May 01, 2013
kunle86: Agric engineering.
you need to see a doctor

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

The Most Difficult Age For Most Nigerian Men / Nairalanders, What Do You Know About UAAG Grant Disbursement? / Halliburton - Trainee Engineers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.