Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,537 members, 7,955,002 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 02:07 PM

Questions About A Funeral: - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Questions About A Funeral: (2801 Views)

Love Is Dead! I Attended The Funeral Service Last Weekend!!! / Body Of Woman Is Stolen Out Of Her Casket At A Funeral Home / Who Takes Attendance At A Funeral? ??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Questions About A Funeral: by ivistalo: 10:43am On May 13, 2006
My Nigerian friend recently lost his grandmother (I am Dutch), she will be buried in de traditional way.

How many days will the funeral ceremonies take?

Is my friend (grandson) expected to support financially?
With how much?

Am I, as a friend of the family supposed to support fiancially?

Thanks for advices.
Re: Questions About A Funeral: by kajad(m): 11:55am On May 13, 2006
Direct responsibility for the burial falls on the children! However members of the extended family (including friends) are expected to make contributions according to their generosity. I must mention that it is permissible for the grandchildren to take the responsibly of the burial where the direct offspring cannot afford to give their mother a befitting burial.

Funeral days varies but in modern time it is usually under a month

Your friend will most definitely be expected to make contribution! If his parents cannot make a substantial contribution he will be expected to do so on their behalf.

You must not make contribution, but it will be advisable to do so if you consider yourself a member of the extended family. It means you are also mourning with them

Please accept my sincere condolence Hey! this means you're part of the family
Re: Questions About A Funeral: by ivistalo: 5:32pm On May 13, 2006
Kajad, thank you very much for your answer. One more question please, you are
talking about "less then a month", does that mean that the whole family stays together, eats together, this must cost a fortune, isn't it?
Re: Questions About A Funeral: by mamaput(f): 7:29pm On May 13, 2006
Ivi is "Only" the Girlfriend so why should she contribute.
Are they talking of marrage? Has she been introduced to the family?
I will not give what i cannot bear to lose.
Funeral in Nigeria cost a lot of money. Also depending on the Tribe.
Some Villagers are alos only good at demanding.
Re: Questions About A Funeral: by kajad(m): 2:34pm On May 16, 2006
@ mamaput
You are right; she is not obliged to make any contribution so I said too.

@ivistalo
Less than a month does not mean that the whole family must stay together in the contest you think. Those who work would have gone back to work.

There are small small traditional rituals that are performed during funeral, the climax being the interment. It is at interment that that the whole family are together, thereafter people leave at their convenience. Direct children however stay longest or rather leave last (for obvious reasons). Your friend will just be supporting his parents he is not obliged to stay after interment

And yes funeral do cost a furtune here.
i think i understand what you are trying to do, pm at ym if you need more information.

(1) (Reply)

Should I Put The Name Of My Xboyfriend On My Son's Birth Certificate Help Me Plz / When Your Husband insist On Pounded Yam / Marry A Wife Not A Virgin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.