Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,601 members, 7,809,184 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:36 AM

Bollywood Vs Hollywood - Which Is Better? - TV/Movies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Bollywood Vs Hollywood - Which Is Better? (27707 Views)

Korean Films Vs Hollywood/American Films, Which Do You Like More / Nollywood vs Hollywood? Please Spare Me! / Nollywood vs Hollywood: Which Is The Best? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bollywood Vs Hollywood - Which Is Better? by sholay2011(m): 2:43pm On May 24, 2013
onomelenshi:

who be dis mumu??...3 idiots and dark knight are no mates in any way,even old people love 3 idiots
Have you taken your drug this afternoon? Do you have to insult to score cheap points? How can any person who knows movies very well say '3 idiots' is a better movie than 'Dark knight'? Are you high on elephant grass?! 3 idiots is very relatable and generates emotion but it is not exceptionally creative! DARK KNIGHT!!!! grin

4 Likes

Re: Bollywood Vs Hollywood - Which Is Better? by Nobody: 2:47pm On May 24, 2013
donroxy: Yeah bro, Strike back is a bomb!!!

My brother how many we go mention self !!!

U can only compare HollyWood with HollyWood Not anotherWood !!!
thats much like it.I feel u
Re: Bollywood Vs Hollywood - Which Is Better? by Nobody: 2:55pm On May 24, 2013
Afam4eva:
Why must a movie be 120 minutes? Is written in the bible that a movie must be 120 minutes? That's what i've been talking about. You guys keep using Hollywood standard to judge other movie industries.
which standard do u wanto use ?

Is it production,sci-fi,characterisation,interpreting of roles,directing,problem-solving(without manipulating viewers intelligence) or the suspense(most esp terrorist movies) !!!

Must BollyWood sing in everymovie ..............can't they separate their MUSIC industry from MOVIE industry !!! grin

Death and Sleep differs na !!!
Re: Bollywood Vs Hollywood - Which Is Better? by Manliness(m): 3:33pm On May 24, 2013
It's funny how people just wake up these days and think "how can I bash America today?"...smh, I love bollywood movies, but making that a basis for comparison to hollywood is very laughable, yes they've made a handful of good movies of late, but ffs there are tons more top quality hollywood movies... even from the 90's, that will beat the very best outta bollywood. Abeg leave personal anti-american sentiments aside and be realistic. Shuoo!.

1 Like

Re: Bollywood Vs Hollywood - Which Is Better? by Blazinraj01(f): 3:35pm On May 24, 2013
Afam4eva:
I'm curious to know what this edge is that you guys are talking about. There's nothing Hollywood has done that Bollywood has not done or can do.
Thank you. At some point, I kind of thought Bollywood's remake of 'The Italian Job' (Player) is better than Hollywood's.
These days, all I see in Hollywood movies gracing my screen is depicting having sex as falling in love and the Comedies make use of Swear Words countless times. Except for the action movies which can be extremely bloody.
Bollywood is very good at creating fictitious storyline that one will end up thinking its reality.
All in all, they are both cool but one is still better than the other.
Re: Bollywood Vs Hollywood - Which Is Better? by Afam4eva(m): 3:36pm On May 24, 2013
donroxy: which standard do u wanto use ?

Is it production,sci-fi,characterisation,interpreting of roles,directing,problem-solving(without manipulating viewers intelligence) or the suspense(most esp terrorist movies) !!!

Must BollyWood sing in everymovie ..............can't they separate their MUSIC industry from MOVIE industry !!! grin

Death and Sleep differs na !!!
You have to be open minded to be objective. if it was Hollywood that sings in their movie, you guys will start asking why others don't sing but because Bollywood does it, it's not good. That's what makes their movies unique. It's either you like it or you don't. It's funny that the same people that are claiming that Bollywood producers/directors are copycats are the same people telling them to do away with the music in their movies and copy Hollywood. Talk about speaking from both sides of one's mouth.

2 Likes

Re: Bollywood Vs Hollywood - Which Is Better? by Afam4eva(m): 3:38pm On May 24, 2013
Blazinraj01:
Thank you. At some point, I kind of thought Bollywood's remake of 'The Italian Job' (Player) is better than Hollywood's.
These days, all I see in Hollywood movies gracing my screen is depicting having sex as falling in love and the Comedies make use of Swear Words countless times. Except for the action movies which can be extremely bloody. All in all, they are both cool but one is still better than the other.
All the Bollywood rip-offs of Hollywood movies that i've watched are usually better than the original. I remember watching this Indian movie that was a rip off of a movie that starred jamie Foxx and Tom cruise and i prefered it to the original. There's something about Bollywood movies that i like.
Re: Bollywood Vs Hollywood - Which Is Better? by Blazinraj01(f): 3:43pm On May 24, 2013
Afam4eva:
All the Bollywood rip-offs of Hollywood movies that i've watched are usually better than the original. I remember watching this Indian movie that was a rip off of a movie that starred jamie Foxx and Tom cruise and i prefered it to the original. There's something about Bollywood movies that i like.
Yes, you are right. Me too
Re: Bollywood Vs Hollywood - Which Is Better? by Manliness(m): 3:51pm On May 24, 2013
Afam4eva:

Duh! Of course rip offs will be better, when you work on an old project several years later, you don't expect they won't do a better job... you don't expect remakes to be of less quality than the originals, but that doesn't change what it is, a rip off!. Give credit.

2 Likes

Re: Bollywood Vs Hollywood - Which Is Better? by Manliness(m): 4:02pm On May 24, 2013
donroxy: Don't Mind Afam4Ever,

I swear ...... HollyWood will still beat BollyWood in Indian movie productions !!!

Let HollyWood produces a Movie specifically storylined on Indian History even without using any Indian actor/actress nor Actor/Actress of Indian Descent ........JUST AMERICANS on INDIAN CUSTUMES !!!

Let Bollywood produces same Movie ..... grin !!! Abeg compare BollyWood with GhollyNollyWood where actor/Actress receives what to say from the Director who is standing behind the cameraman before uttering the next statement grin ....... Unprofessional bunch!!!

There is no 100percent accuracy level in HollyWood Movies but when u say a ''MOVIE is Close to Perfection'' ...........HOLLYWOOD IS PERFECT !!!

HollyWood Actor/Actress produces and interprete roles as if their whole life depend on it ..... AND

Truly,their whole life depended on it !!!

Gbam... well said! I'm sure hollywood will beat them at their own game. Khaki no be leather, shoe get size!.
Re: Bollywood Vs Hollywood - Which Is Better? by auxizain(m): 4:10pm On May 24, 2013
i dont like long movies
Re: Bollywood Vs Hollywood - Which Is Better? by Nobody: 4:52pm On May 24, 2013
Afam4eva:
You have to be open minded to be objective. if it was Hollywood that sings in their movie, you guys will start asking why others don't sing but because Bollywood does it, it's not good. That's what makes their movies unique. It's either you like it or you don't. It's funny that the same people that are claiming that Bollywood producers/directors are copycats are the same people telling them to do away with the music in their movies and copy Hollywood. Talk about speaking from both sides of one's mouth.
Such is Afam4ever line of reasoning;

I asked u questions on which perspective u re comparing BollyWood with HollyWood in which u now judged the former the better !!!But Afam has talked like Afam !!!

Shey na the script;plot;characterisation;sci-fi;directing;closeness to reality;Role interpretation et all abi na wetin grin

What is the essence of singing in each and every movie when the plot requires Not music !!!

Me come tell u base on objectivity that HollyWood would still defeat BollyWood in a movie storylined and whose plot is on INDIAN HISTORY !!!

Stop posting as if we have been hypnotised by HollyWood .................Ohhh,yes,we have been Hypnotised by QUALITY and REALITY !!!

Afamu grin
Re: Bollywood Vs Hollywood - Which Is Better? by Nobody: 4:59pm On May 24, 2013
Manliness:

Duh! Of course rip offs will be better, when you work on an old project several years later, you don't expect they won't do a better job... you don't expect remakes to be of less quality than the originals, but that doesn't change what it is, a rip off!. Give credit.
ahahaha U dey mind Afam ehn ?

When u call sonthin rip-off no be too do better version of am.....

Tell him to compare the year of the Original work and rip-off !!!

We are waiting for Indian Version of 24,PrisonBreak,Strike back,Homeland and of course Spartacus grin (shebi spartacus na Kama sutra which originates from India) grin cool
Re: Bollywood Vs Hollywood - Which Is Better? by Nobody: 5:02pm On May 24, 2013
Manliness: shoe get size!.
Okrika self get Quality grin
Re: Bollywood Vs Hollywood - Which Is Better? by Cutepie1(f): 5:57pm On May 24, 2013
I think i love bollywood
Re: Bollywood Vs Hollywood - Which Is Better? by BeautfulB(f): 6:18pm On May 24, 2013
I Ŀ♡√Ɛ bollywood, dis is my favourite actor in bollywood, still yet I prefer my hollywood.

Re: Bollywood Vs Hollywood - Which Is Better? by Obi1kenobi(m): 6:31pm On May 24, 2013
Am I supposed to take this thread seriously? Hollywood movies explore a range of themes that Indian films could never come close to exploring. Whether it's psychological thrillers like "Shutter Island" or sci-fis like "The Matrix" or fantasy epics like "Lord of the Rings" or historical action like "Saving Private Ryan" or period dramas like "The Reader" or historical action, docudramas, horror, sports themed etc, the possibilities are endless. I'm no fan of Bollywood but grew up watching it with my mum and sisters and always saw it as a poor imitation of Hollywood. I'd say many who watch it find it more palatable than Hollywood movies, the same way I prefer a Fanta to a well-aged red wine. That's fine. Let's just not start pretending they're in any way equal. That's outrageous and borderline ignorant. Even Hong-Kong cinema is superior to Bollywood.

I can't believe this is a serious debate. What next? Bangalore is a better city than California?

5 Likes

Re: Bollywood Vs Hollywood - Which Is Better? by Obi1kenobi(m): 6:43pm On May 24, 2013
And for those calling "Slumdog Millionaire" a Bollywood movie, who dash? It's a British production set in India with a British studio, British producers, a British director and British screen-writers. Even the main Indian actor is British-born and raised. The technical quality of that production is beyond the scope of Bollywood. Na why people here think "3 Idiots" - a run of the mill storyline and production by Hollywood standards- is such an amazing, great film.cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Bollywood Vs Hollywood - Which Is Better? by Kirinwa: 6:44pm On May 24, 2013
Op John Okafor-Mr Ibu and Nkem Owoh-Osuofia who acts better?Hold it there! Is the same thing you want us to consider here.Hollywood all the way!!

1 Like

Re: Bollywood Vs Hollywood - Which Is Better? by Obi1kenobi(m): 7:03pm On May 24, 2013
I mean, watch Meryl Streep's depiction of Margaret Thatcher in "The Iron Lady".
Or Forest Whittaker's depiction of Idi Amin in "The Last King of Scotland".
Or Natalie Portman's acting as a troubled ballerina in "The Black Swan".
Or Russel Crowe in "A Beautiful Mind"

These are Oscar-winning roles of immense depth and technical difficulty. Whittaker had to assiduously research Amin's history and learn his accent and Idiosyncrasies and it took him close to a year. Portman, who already had a background in ballet had to take intense ballet training for close to a year. Meryl Streep had to polish her accent and learn Thatcher's mannerisms. Crowe was just a genius.

How can anyone watch those and claim Indian movies, with their generic, banal offerings are better. Truly, the mind boggles.

7 Likes

Re: Bollywood Vs Hollywood - Which Is Better? by sholay2011(m): 7:25pm On May 24, 2013
Obi1kenobi: I mean, watch Meryl Streep's depiction of Margaret Thatcher in "The Iron Lady".

These are Oscar-winning roles of immense depth and technical difficulty. Whittaker had to assiduously research Amin's history and learn his accent and Idiosyncrasies and it took him close to a year. Portman, who already had a background in ballet had to take intense ballet training for close to a year. Meryl Streep had to polish her accent and learn Thatcher's mannerisms. Crowe was just a genius.

How can anyone watch those and claim Indian movies, with their generic, banal offerings are better. Truly, the mind boggles.
You've spoken well. cool
Re: Bollywood Vs Hollywood - Which Is Better? by Nobody: 7:29pm On May 24, 2013
Obi1kenobi: I mean, watch Meryl Streep's depiction of Margaret Thatcher in "The Iron Lady".

My Brother........ U just won by Knock-out !!! Afam is already bleeding Bolly with Wood on the floor !!!

Nna mehn..... Case Closed !!!
Re: Bollywood Vs Hollywood - Which Is Better? by Afam4eva(m): 7:30pm On May 24, 2013
Obi1kenobi: And for those calling "Slumdog Millionaire" a Bollywood movie, who dash? It's a British production set in India with a British studio, British producers, a British director and British screen-writers. Even the main Indian actor is British-born and raised. The technical quality of that production is beyond the scope of Bollywood. Na why people here think "3 Idiots" - a run of the mill storyline and production by Hollywood standards- is such an amazing, great film.cheesy
I'm sorry but "Slumdog millionaire" is not better than the numerous high quality Indian movie that i've watched. It doesn't have the soul that Indian movies are known for.
Re: Bollywood Vs Hollywood - Which Is Better? by TerryCarr(m): 7:34pm On May 24, 2013
why are you guys not comparing Bollywood to your own Nollywood? undecided
Re: Bollywood Vs Hollywood - Which Is Better? by Temismith(f): 7:45pm On May 24, 2013
Koreanwood anytime. Boys befr flowers,city hunter,iris,a man calld god,lobyist.........nna mhen na koreanhood o.
Re: Bollywood Vs Hollywood - Which Is Better? by Obi1kenobi(m): 8:11pm On May 24, 2013
Afam4eva:
I'm sorry but "Slumdog millionaire" is not better than the numerous high quality Indian movie that i've watched. It doesn't have the soul that Indian movies are known for.
Well, you obviously have very different tastes from mine for what makes a good movie. Slumdog Millionaire got a standing ovation at the Cannes film festival even before blowing the competition away at the Oscars. It may lack the embellished melodrama of your generic Bollywood movie but it's technical depth and seamless narrative makes it superior to any Bollywood movie I've seen. But that's another argument. Bollywood is decades away from matching Hollywood's current level, and that's no hyperbole. I don't know how you can seriously compare the 2. It's like comparing our very own Nollywood to Bollywood (and why the hell do the have to copy Hollywood with the "ollywoods"wink.

1 Like

Re: Bollywood Vs Hollywood - Which Is Better? by Afam4eva(m): 8:15pm On May 24, 2013
Obi1kenobi:
Well, you obviously have very different tastes from mine for what makes a good movie. Slumdog Millionaire got a standing ovation at the Cannes film festival even before blowing the competition away at the Oscars. It may lack the embellished melodrama of your generic Bollywood movie but it's technical depth and seamless narrative makes it superior to any Bollywood movie I've seen. But that's another argument. Bollywood is decades away from matching Hollywood's current level, and that's no hyperbole. I don't know how you can seriously compare the 2. It's like comparing our very own Nollywood to Bollywood (and why the hell do the have to copy Hollywood with the "ollywoods"wink.
Slumdog is a hollywood standard movie hence the ovation it got. You don't expect them to accord same ovation to Non-Hollywood movies. Those film festivals and awards are majorly for mainstream movies.

As far as comparing them goes, i'm only playing the devil's advocate by pitching Bollywood against Hollywood. I'm not necessarily saying Bollywood is better or vice-versa.
Re: Bollywood Vs Hollywood - Which Is Better? by Nobody: 8:17pm On May 24, 2013

YOU HAVE KILLED IT

1 Like

Re: Bollywood Vs Hollywood - Which Is Better? by lukzy500: 9:09pm On May 24, 2013
Abeg where can I download blooywood movies subtitled in English.abeg send d link
Re: Bollywood Vs Hollywood - Which Is Better? by fubbyy(m): 11:13pm On May 24, 2013
What type of ill question is that, instead of comparing nollywood and bollywood you are here comparing bollywood and hollywood, so ridiculous

As long as entertainment industry is concern ,the whole world looks up to united states of america,both hollywood and music industry, why did you even thought of such compare in the 1st place? Na waa o

And to make it worst people are answering as if they are truly comparable
Re: Bollywood Vs Hollywood - Which Is Better? by Nobody: 11:14pm On May 24, 2013
this post is obviously a joke,come on!!1 hollywood and bollywood
its like comparing heaven to earth[do you get it op?]
Re: Bollywood Vs Hollywood - Which Is Better? by clerkent(m): 11:38pm On May 24, 2013
Afam4eva:
I'm curious to know what this edge is that you guys are talking about. There's nothing Hollywood has done that Bollywood has not done or can do.
can borellywood act any marvel movie lyk spider man,bat man,avengers,e.t.c

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Tboss' Family And Fans Celebrate Her Birthday With Very Cute Videos / Seyi Has Been Evicted From The Big Brother House / What Are Your Most Memorable Scenes From A Nollywood Film?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.