Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,643 members, 7,809,415 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:10 AM

Pini Jason, A Nigerian Pundit, Is Dead - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Pini Jason, A Nigerian Pundit, Is Dead (16685 Views)

General Muhamadu Buhari's Interview With Pini Jason - Achebe Foundation Dec 2005 / There Was A Country, There Was Starvation- Pini Jason / Attention Please: Where Is Pini Jason? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pini Jason, A Nigerian Pundit, Is Dead by LocalChamp: 6:36pm On May 04, 2013
Pini Jason, A Nigerian Pundit, Is Dead
Posted: May 4, 2013 - 16:35

By SaharaReporters, New York
SaharaReporters has learned of the death earlier today of Pini Jason, one of Nigeria’s most well known columnists. He was 65.

A professional colleague of his disclosed that Mr. Jason died early in the afternoon in a Lagos hospital after undergoing a surgical procedure a few days ago. SaharaReporters could not ascertain how long he had been ill.

Mr. Jason, whose real name was Jason Onyegbadue, was until his death a columnist for Lagos-based Vanguard newspaper. He wrote his regular column until three weeks ago.

A longtime columnist for the newspaper, Mr. Jason took a leave of absence in 2007 to work as a senior aide to former Governor Ikedi Ohakim of Imo State. He was designated a special assistant on special duties. He returned to writing his column at the Vanguard following Mr. Ohakim’s failure in 2011 to obtain a second term as governor.

Saharareporters could not confirm the exact cause of death. However, a source revealed that Mr. Jason underwent a prostate cancer surgery two years ago.

Mr. Jason had earlier worked as a senior editor at the now defunct African Guardian newspaper. A colleague of his at African Guardian remembered him as “a witty, exuberant person whose robust sense of humor enlivened the newsroom.”

Mr. Jason is survived by a wife and several children.

http://saharareporters.com/news-page/pini-jason-nigerian-pundit-dead

1 Like

Re: Pini Jason, A Nigerian Pundit, Is Dead by vanbonattel: 6:41pm On May 04, 2013
Is he not the one that interviewed Gowon and made a nonsense of the idiott?

2 Likes

Re: Pini Jason, A Nigerian Pundit, Is Dead by tomakint: 7:07pm On May 04, 2013
van bonattel: Is he not the one that interviewed Gowon and made a nonsense of the idiott?
((((GBAM)))) He was! cool
Re: Pini Jason, A Nigerian Pundit, Is Dead by phantom(m): 8:59pm On May 04, 2013
one of the very very goood journalists out there....RIP sir

1 Like

Re: Pini Jason, A Nigerian Pundit, Is Dead by Rossikk(m): 11:42pm On May 04, 2013
Travel well, Pini. One of those journalists that symbolize Nigerian excellence.

1 Like

Re: Pini Jason, A Nigerian Pundit, Is Dead by ochukoccna: 1:09am On May 05, 2013
RIP
Mr Jason,I pour out a little liquor for you
Hope you can yake a sip even as you are no more
Re: Pini Jason, A Nigerian Pundit, Is Dead by nameo: 3:46am On May 05, 2013
RIP to a truly GREAT journalist

1 Like

Re: Pini Jason, A Nigerian Pundit, Is Dead by slap1(m): 7:44am On May 05, 2013
Oh dear! What a talent gone! Pini Jason was a super wordsmith. I never get tired of reading him and Dan Agbese (master of prose). . . I once saw Jason's collection of essays when I went to read for my exams in the library. . .that was all. I didn't touch my textbook again!
Sad sad news. RIP.

1 Like

Re: Pini Jason, A Nigerian Pundit, Is Dead by 190: 11:12am On May 05, 2013
Rip sir

I hope 2be a better journalist than urself
Re: Pini Jason, A Nigerian Pundit, Is Dead by naptu2: 11:14am On May 05, 2013
Wow! I'll really miss him. Rest in peace.
Re: Pini Jason, A Nigerian Pundit, Is Dead by biolabee(m): 11:21am On May 05, 2013
wow.. that guy was a writer

RIP
Re: Pini Jason, A Nigerian Pundit, Is Dead by Nobody: 11:21am On May 05, 2013
Another veteran columnist gone

From Stanley Macebuh (Thisday) to Godson Offoaro (Sun - I remember tackling him in an article I wrote in 2011 in the run-up to April elections) to Edafe Onovo (Tribune) to Ayo Ositelu (Guardian) to Village economist abi na market economist, now Pini Jason (Vanguard).

SR was wrong though. He still wrote his column last week Tuesday, 4 days before his death.

I remember Pini joining those of us that took on Dele Momodu over his Sanusi-bully article late last year, for which Dele replied with another piece, 'Teacher, don't teach me nonsense', refer to Pini, Ethelbert and us 'ants', to use Dele's words.

All of them are dying between 65-70.

I pray other elders in the trade of column writing (Dare Olatunji, Mohammed Haruna, Tunde Fagbenle etc) live longer.

1 Like

Re: Pini Jason, A Nigerian Pundit, Is Dead by effisyman: 11:22am On May 05, 2013
A renowned journalist...
RIP.
Re: Pini Jason, A Nigerian Pundit, Is Dead by saem(m): 11:23am On May 05, 2013
RIP.
Re: Pini Jason, A Nigerian Pundit, Is Dead by free2ryhme: 11:23am On May 05, 2013
adieus .. Man of Honour
Re: Pini Jason, A Nigerian Pundit, Is Dead by marex: 11:23am On May 05, 2013
RIP Sir, I was an avid reader of your column.....pouring out some liquor !
Re: Pini Jason, A Nigerian Pundit, Is Dead by alphaconde(m): 11:34am On May 05, 2013
Where is his picture, perhaps I know him
Re: Pini Jason, A Nigerian Pundit, Is Dead by ewet: 11:39am On May 05, 2013
R.I.p Mr. Pini,we will miss your very engaging and erudite treatises on national issues tht you have bin blessing us with since the late 70's cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Pini Jason, A Nigerian Pundit, Is Dead by plasgidy: 11:41am On May 05, 2013
Oh,my kings man is dead, he use to appea on petitos gang, we are from the same community obizi ezinaihte, oh so sorry , rest in peace dede pini j,
Re: Pini Jason, A Nigerian Pundit, Is Dead by yuzedo: 11:44am On May 05, 2013
Oh my! Wow!

As a child, I noticed my dad used to unfailingly cut out his articles from The Vanguard Newspaper and store. Just like a love-sick kid! ƪoƪ! He was a big fan! Years later, I found myself doing the exact same thing for Dele Sobowale's column.

RIP sir. Fought the good fight.. And won. cool

2 Likes

Re: Pini Jason, A Nigerian Pundit, Is Dead by drlizzy(f): 11:50am On May 05, 2013
The beautiful ones have long been born and they are almost all gone.RIP
Re: Pini Jason, A Nigerian Pundit, Is Dead by yuzedo: 11:53am On May 05, 2013
This makes me wonder on Reuben Abati.. I mean when he eventually dies, will he be accorded as much love and respect by society? After being tainted by his record in government, won't those "sad" to see him go be only the brigandic, kleptomatic fatcats he had to cover for?

Abati fücked up when he sold his soul and ditched the masses, I'm sorry to say. A Writer should ever be above board. Never selling out even till his last minute, like Gani. He would perhaps have been the greatest legend to come out of Print Media.. But.. But this blemish. This Federal stain on his record...... Sigh!

Posterity will definitely judge Reuben quite harshly!

#RandomMusings

3 Likes

Re: Pini Jason, A Nigerian Pundit, Is Dead by naptu2: 11:55am On May 05, 2013
yuzedo: This makes me wonder on Reuben Abati.. I mean when he eventually dies, will he be accorded as much love and respect by society? After being tainted by his record in government, won't those "sad" to see him go be only the brigandic, kleptomatic fatcats he had to cover for?

Abati fücked up when he sold his soul and ditched the masses, I'm sorry to say. A Writer should ever be above board. Never selling out even till his last minute, like Gani. He would perhaps have been the greatest legend to come out of Print Media.. But.. But this blemish. This Federal stain on his record...... Sigh!

Posterity will definitely judge Reuben quite harshly!

#RandomMusings

+100

2 Likes

Re: Pini Jason, A Nigerian Pundit, Is Dead by onyeego(m): 12:00pm On May 05, 2013
cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
cry
Re: Pini Jason, A Nigerian Pundit, Is Dead by tomzman: 12:14pm On May 05, 2013
RIP
Re: Pini Jason, A Nigerian Pundit, Is Dead by Nobody: 12:15pm On May 05, 2013
Those the poor masses prayed daily for them to die refuse to die while those that impact positively on the masses continue to die. Irony!

Oh lord when do we get to celebrate again the demise of those we longed for as witnessed during the demise of the 'dark shade' tyrant.?
Re: Pini Jason, A Nigerian Pundit, Is Dead by doopsy(f): 12:34pm On May 05, 2013
Rip sir,my dad was an ardent reader of his column,everything was according to Pini,rest in his bosom SIr... cry
Re: Pini Jason, A Nigerian Pundit, Is Dead by miqos02(m): 12:36pm On May 05, 2013
Crown Prince: Those the poor masses prayed daily for them to die refuse to die while those that impact positively on the masses continue to die. Irony!

Oh lord when do we get to celebrate again the demise of those we longed for as witnessed during the demise of the 'dark shade' tyrant.?
its a world of mysteries
Re: Pini Jason, A Nigerian Pundit, Is Dead by femi4: 12:43pm On May 05, 2013
Re: Pini Jason, A Nigerian Pundit, Is Dead by Afam4eva(m): 12:45pm On May 05, 2013
Jarus: From Stanley Macebuh (Thisday) to Godson Offoaro (Sun - I remember tackling him in an article I wrote in 2011 in the run-up to April elections) to Edafe Onovo (Tribune) to Ayo Ositelu (Guardian) to Village economist abi na market economist, now Pini Jason (Vanguard).

Ayo Ositelu is dead? He was the compere when the williams sisters played each other just a few months ago lagos.
Re: Pini Jason, A Nigerian Pundit, Is Dead by naptu2: 12:57pm On May 05, 2013
Afam4eva:
Ayo Ositelu is dead? He was the compere when the williams sisters played each other just a few months ago lagos.

https://www.nairaland.com/1157681/veteran-sports-journalist-deacon-ayo
Re: Pini Jason, A Nigerian Pundit, Is Dead by Tonae: 1:02pm On May 05, 2013
Gone with the winds. One of the brightest and most erudite writers the nation ever produced.

RIP Dee PINI..

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Tribunal Update: I Won Kogi Governorship Election – Wada / 800 APC Members Defect To PDP In Kwara / Ogun Government Commences Repair Of Dilapidated Roads, Drainages

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.